Old May 21st 10, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 2009 Victoria Line Stock

"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message

On 20 May, 17:02, "Recliner" wrote:
"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message

On 14 May, 09:47, "Recliner" wrote:
"peter" wrote in message
Of course, most Victoria Line journeys are short, and all are
entirely underground. The 2009 stock can't operate on any other
Tube line, and nor will it be the basis for the replacement
Piccadilly Line stock (which is likely to be based on the current
Northern Line stock). I think the limited, harder, mainly/entirely
longitudinal seating will be more of a problem with the new S
stock, which will often be used for much longer journeys on the
District and Met lines.

I rode on a 2009 train this morning between Vauxhall and Euston,
which surprised me (it must have been about midday). I took a
couple of photos just after getting off at Euston (apologies for
noise/blur):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...9_stock_at_Eus...
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...9_stock_at_Eus...

Is there a deep-level stock in development with full articulation,
because I was expecting the 2009s to be articulated like the S
stock.

No, the S Stock is not articulated, but it does have wide gangways
(like the 378s). That wouldn't be possible on a non-articulated
Tube-sized train.

The proposal for articulated stock on the Victoria line (the Space
Train) was dropped some years ago, and I don't believe that there are
any current proposals. The only likely order for new Tube trains in
the next decade is for the Piccadilly Line, and it's likely that
they will be conventional trains based on the current 1995 Stock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenk1977/108328170/

Other than trams/LRVs and Eurostars, I don't know of any current or
proposed articulated trains in the UK.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry by "articulated" I was indeed thinking of the 378s, not the DLR!

But, like the S Stock, the 378s are also not articulated.

Old May 21st 10, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"peter" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I know LOL! Wrong terminology!
Old May 21st 10, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 May, 09:47, "Recliner" wrote:
"peter" wrote in message

I travelled on one today, and was not impressed.

The good points - bright lighting, smoother ride, more standing space

But the downside of the last point is less seating space. *The seating
follows the current fashion of being all sideways, which personally I
detest. *Crabs evolved to travel sideways, humans go forwards.
Another drawback is that is much harder to see out of the window. Now
I know that isn't an issue on the Victoria Line, which is all
underground, but on other lines which do have surface sections it adds
to the frustrations of travel. *The seats themselves seem to have been
designed for midgets, with inadequate depth for an average sized adult
male and very thin upholstery.

Some tube journeys can be quite long - I have a regular trip between
Totteridge and Whetstone and South Wimbledon which takes one hour ten
minutes, and I wish transport chiefs would pay a little more attention
to the comfort of such passengers rather than basing the designs on
the needs of short distance commuters only.

Of course, most Victoria Line journeys are short, and all are entirely
underground. The 2009 stock can't operate on any other Tube line, and
nor will it be the basis for the replacement Piccadilly Line stock
(which is likely to be based on the current Northern Line stock). I
think the limited, harder, mainly/entirely longitudinal seating will be
more of a problem with the new S stock, which will often be used for
much longer journeys on the District and Met lines.- Hide quoted text -

Do the doors on the 2009 stock have the deep-set window frames inside
the doors that clobber people when the doors open (as opposed to when
they close, which people are generally braced for)?