Old May 6th 10, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New East London Line report

On 6 May, 12:10, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Jamie Thompson wrote:
On May 5, 10:03 pm, Tom Barry wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
At last!

Bit late to the party, i know, but i went on it. It was very new,
not very busy, the trains were very quiet, and Dalston Junction
station is HUGE.

Why is it so huge?

IIRC it's been built with more than one eye on the future
Chelsea-Hackney Crossrail 2 line sharing the same facilities.
Obviously building it big enough in the first place is a good deal
easier than enlarging a too-small station when it's actually in
daily use.

Tom

Yet they didn't build the bays capable of taking 8-car trains?

That's probably because there are so many other platforms on the original
ELL that cannot easily be extended beyond current size. *If they wanted to
use longer trains generally, Dalston would be the least of the problems.

Paul S

So why build Shoreditch High Street with 8 car platforms?

I had a look and most seemed quite achievable given the will to do so.

Old May 6th 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jamie Thompson wrote:

Yet they didn't build the bays capable of taking 8-car trains?

That's probably because there are so many other platforms on the
original ELL that cannot easily be extended beyond current size. If
they wanted to use longer trains generally, Dalston would be the
least of the problems.

So why build Shoreditch High Street with 8 car platforms?

I had a look and most seemed quite achievable given the will to do so.

I meant only 'original ELL' such as Wapping and Rotherhithe, and even the
relatively new Canada Water. But SHS is a special case that happens to have
been built in a box the entire length of the Bishopsgate site to allow for
future building work over the top.

Paul S

Old May 7th 10, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On May 5, 10:40*am, wrote:

I've not yet got to go. Too busy with the election. Next week,
hopefully!

Election?

Ho, ho!

--