Old May 13th 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 'Ken L

He wants to be mayor again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...son-again.html

Old May 13th 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

He wants to be mayor again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...son-again.html

Surely that's old news? He wouldn't spend his whole time shadowing
Boris and sitting in on City Hall meetings if he didn't want his old job
back.

Old May 13th 10, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 13, 3:14*pm, "Recliner" wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote:

He wants to be mayor again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...our/7711806/Ke...

Surely that's old news? *He wouldn't spend his whole time shadowing
Boris and sitting in on City Hall meetings if he didn't want his old job
back.

It's not new news, not from where I'm sitting at least - he's been
saying as much for quite some time. All that seems to have happened
here is that the hack who penned the above diary piece actually spoke
to him in person at a recent bash.
Old May 13th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 13 May, 18:17, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 14:34:12 +0100, Basil Jet

wrote:
He wants to be mayor again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...our/7711806/Ke...

Not exactly news is it? *He's been saying it for years.

I actually think it would be a mistake because he would be too easy a
target for the loons on the right. *Labour need a proper contest to
select their candidate and we have to hope there is a decent field to
choose from and people who have plenty of good ideas.

The same applies to any other party actually - we need democracy to be
healthy and we need a good combative campaign (without television
debates!) for the job.
--
Paul C

I was predicting that he'd be Prime Minister in Labour/Tory Coalition,
but that hasn't quite happened yet.

(Well, why not? Boris Johnson got elected Mayor after all.
Anything's possible.)
Old May 13th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

He wants to be mayor again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...son-again.html

Not exactly news is it? He's been saying it for years.

I actually think it would be a mistake because he would be too easy a
target for the loons on the right. Labour need a proper contest to
select their candidate and we have to hope there is a decent field to
choose from and people who have plenty of good ideas.

Or, you know, the main opposition to Bojo the Clown could be from a party
other than Labour. Maybe even one which was in government more recently.

The same applies to any other party actually - we need democracy to be
healthy and we need a good combative campaign (without television
debates!) for the job.

I'd be in favour of televised debates if they devolved into fistfights
with Adam Boulton.

tom

--
everything is temporary

Old May 13th 10, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

He wants to be mayor again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...son-again.html

Not exactly news is it? He's been saying it for years.

I actually think it would be a mistake because he would be too easy a
target for the loons on the right. Labour need a proper contest to
select their candidate and we have to hope there is a decent field to
choose from and people who have plenty of good ideas.

Or, you know, the main opposition to Bojo the Clown could be from a
party other than Labour. Maybe even one which was in government more
recently.

If Boris stands down to become an MP, Simon Hughes would make a good
Con/Lib coalition candidate.
Old May 13th 10, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 13, 7:59 pm, Basil Jet wrote:

On 13/05/2010 19:51, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2010 14:34:12 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

He wants to be mayor again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...7711806/-.html

Not exactly news is it? He's been saying it for years.

I actually think it would be a mistake because he would be too easy a
target for the loons on the right. Labour need a proper contest to
select their candidate and we have to hope there is a decent field to
choose from and people who have plenty of good ideas.

Or, you know, the main opposition to Bojo the Clown could be from a
party other than Labour. Maybe even one which was in government more
recently.

Hmm, like it or not, I find it hard to see the battle for the
Mayorality in London being something other than a Labour versus Tory
contest.

Also. the association of the Lib Dems with the government come 2012
(if it does last) might make it a bit hard for them to put up a strong
fight against the Conservatives for the Mayorality.

Re the main opposition to Bojo the Clown - I rather doubt that Bozza
will be running for re-election in 2012, unless he feels that the Con-
Lib coalition has scuppered (or at least delayed) his prospects for
advancement in Westminster.

If Boris stands down to become an MP, Simon Hughes would make a good
Con/Lib coalition candidate.

Just because there's a Con-Lib coalition in Parliament at Westminster
it doesn't mean there's going to be Con-Lib coalitions elsewhere.
There isn't going to be a Con-Lib coalition in the London Assembly
(the Lib Dems in the Assembly continue to regard themselves as part of
the opposition), nor do I imagine for a month of Sundays that there
will be a joint Con-Lib candidate for the Mayorality in 2012 - if
there is then I will eat my hat (a road cone in this instance).

Simon Hughes wouldn't sign up as a hypothetical co-Tory candidate
anyhow.
Old May 13th 10, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/05/2010 20:41, Mizter T wrote:

On May 13, 7:59 pm, Basil wrote:

If Boris stands down to become an MP, Simon Hughes would make a good
Con/Lib coalition candidate.

Just because there's a Con-Lib coalition in Parliament at Westminster
it doesn't mean there's going to be Con-Lib coalitions elsewhere.
There isn't going to be a Con-Lib coalition in the London Assembly
(the Lib Dems in the Assembly continue to regard themselves as part of
the opposition),

Of course, because they have no say in running things. And if they stand
against the Tories in 2012, they will continue to have no say in running
things, and there's a fair chance that the Tories will have no say in
running things either. Together they will walk it. Or cycle it.
Old May 13th 10, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:59:57 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

If Boris stands down to become an MP, Simon Hughes would make a good
Con/Lib coalition candidate.

Which of the many versions of his sexuality do you think Hughes would
declare for that particular campaign?

Old May 13th 10, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

If Boris stands down to become an MP, Simon Hughes would make a good
Con/Lib coalition candidate.

Which of the many versions of his sexuality do you think Hughes would
declare for that particular campaign?

Is he a fan of coalitus interruptus?