London Banter

-   -   South West Trains platform signage. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10812-south-west-trains-platform-signage.html)

Dr. Sunil May 14th 10 03:11 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Compare and contrast:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...gnage_2010.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...on_signage.JPG

Theo Markettos May 14th 10 03:36 PM

Dr. Sunil wrote:
In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Yes, I noticed that. When viewed from a distance it's easy to mistake them
for platform numbers. I suppose regular users will get used to them.

Theo

Spyke May 15th 10 12:21 AM

On 14/05/2010 16:36, Theo Markettos wrote:
Dr. wrote:
In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Yes, I noticed that. When viewed from a distance it's easy to mistake them
for platform numbers. I suppose regular users will get used to them.

Theo

They are rolling out the new white-on-blue style across their whole
network, not just in the zones. Aldershot has them as well (without Fare
zone label obviously).

Paul Scott May 16th 10 10:07 PM

Dr. wrote:
In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Yes, I noticed that. When viewed from a distance it's easy to mistake
them
for platform numbers. I suppose regular users will get used to them.

Theo

They are rolling out the new white-on-blue style across their whole
network, not just in the zones. Aldershot has them as well (without Fare
zone label obviously).

White on navy blue is supposedly going to be being rolled out nationally,
not just on SWT. It was one of the decisions following the stations report
prepared for the last Transport Secretary, the idea being that signage will
no longer be changed with franchise renewals.

Paul

Recliner[_2_] May 17th 10 11:17 AM

Dr. wrote:
[...]

Ah, I wondered why Stagecoach was dropping its branding from the signs.
It seems like a good idea.

Peter Lawrence[_3_] May 17th 10 04:25 PM

Dr. wrote:
[...]

Has anyone checked these signs in the dark? ISTR that the former WAGN
white on blue signs were virtually invisible at night. (Of course the
relative positions of the signs and lamps abd the inclination of the
sign also affect this.)

Neil Williams May 17th 10 04:37 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:07:54 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

White on navy blue is supposedly going to be being rolled out nationally,
not just on SWT. It was one of the decisions following the stations report
prepared for the last Transport Secretary, the idea being that signage will
no longer be changed with franchise renewals.

Seems to be almost a European standard. DB, SNCF and SBB (OK, not EU,
I know) use that format. I think it looks quite nice, personally.

Next stop, a National Rail livery? :)

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

M J Forbes May 17th 10 06:15 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

On May 17, 5:37*pm, Neil Williams
wrote:

Next stop, a National Rail livery? :)

Blue and Grey?

Bruce[_2_] May 17th 10 10:28 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

wrote:

White on navy blue is supposedly going to be being rolled out nationally,
not just on SWT. It was one of the decisions following the stations report
prepared for the last Transport Secretary, the idea being that signage will
no longer be changed with franchise renewals.

Seems to be almost a European standard. DB, SNCF and SBB (OK, not EU,
I know) use that format. I think it looks quite nice, personally.

Next stop, a National Rail livery? :)

Yes please!

Not just one livery. One for InterCity, one for Network SouthEast,
one for Regional Railways and one for JockRail.

Neil Williams May 17th 10 10:28 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:34:10 +0100, wrote:

Blue and Grey?

Leaf Green Or Poppy Red

I'd have gone for something based on the original 350/1 livery crossed
with the way DB did things in the 90s, so red for IC, blue for IR,
green for NSE/local on a silver base, or alternatively base it
slightly on the VT livery, so the base being silver with charcoal
window surrounds but with red, blue or green doors as appropriate.

The old National Rail site used to be in Rheingold colours, so maybe
that would do, but I guess we've moved away from that now :)

Neil

Neil Williams May 17th 10 10:35 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

On Mon, 17 May 2010 23:28:08 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Not just one livery. One for InterCity, one for Network SouthEast,
one for Regional Railways and one for JockRail.

See my other post - but I'm not sure why NSE really needs its own -
surely it is just (to some extent) a mix of regional, interregional
and "InterCity" services? Particularly now something formed out of a
former NSE operator (LM) gets all the way to Crewe.

Neil

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 07:51 AM

South West Trains platform signage.

wrote:

Not just one livery. One for InterCity, one for Network SouthEast,
one for Regional Railways and one for JockRail.

See my other post - but I'm not sure why NSE really needs its own -
surely it is just (to some extent) a mix of regional, interregional
and "InterCity" services? Particularly now something formed out of a
former NSE operator (LM) gets all the way to Crewe.

Perhaps you're taking this just a little too seriously.

Dr. Sunil May 18th 10 01:39 PM

Dr. *wrote:
[...]

Interesting, but it seems that all stations from West Croydon to New
Cross Gate (bar Forest Hill at time of writing) now have black on
orange signage for London Overground services (full timetable
commencing next Sunday). Crystal Palace too, but apparently dark blue
(black?) on white with orange stripe at top.

Here's an example:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...gnage_2010.JPG

MIG May 19th 10 08:14 PM

Dr. *wrote:
[...]

Due to this discussion I've now noticed a new style of external
station sign, which incorporates a BR arrows of indecision in white on
red and, in a panel at the bottom, the station name in white on
black*.

*or very dark blue or charcoal or whatever.

Dr. Sunil May 20th 10 01:43 PM

Dr. *wrote:
[...]

I know the signage is London Overground, but the National Rail like
this one at Penge West?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...nce_2010. JPG

Dr. Sunil May 20th 10 01:45 PM

On 14 May, 16:11, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Compare and contrast:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...on_signage.JPG

I went round the Hounslow loop this morning - none of the stations
between there and Barnes have the new platform name signage.

MIG May 20th 10 05:57 PM

Dr. *wrote:
[...]

this one at Penge West?http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...est_stn_en...-

No; the one I noticed recently was more like the white on red BR sign
that can also be seen in the picture, but with a white on black
station name below the red panel. So the symbol is vertically above
the name, and bigger than the name.

I'll see if I can get a snap of one somewhere.

Dr. Sunil May 20th 10 11:48 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

Worcester Park also has the white on black signage, but lacking zone
info (the the others like this being Hampton Court and New Malden).

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ew_signage.JPG

Dr. Sunil May 20th 10 11:52 PM

this one at Penge West?http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...ge_West_stn_en...

No; the one I noticed recently was more like the white on red BR sign
that can also be seen in the picture, but with a white on black
station name below the red panel. *So the symbol is vertically above
the name, and bigger than the name.

I'll see if I can get a snap of one somewhere.- Hide quoted text -

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...t_entrance.JPG
You mean just like the above but the lettering colours reversed?

MIG May 21st 10 11:54 AM

On 21 May, 00:52, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 20 May, 18:57, MIG wrote:

Dr. *wrote:
[...]

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tn_east_entran...
You mean just like the above but the lettering colours reversed?

Yes, basically. They may be common already, but it still struck me as
odd when I saw one. I will keep an eye out now.

Neil Williams May 21st 10 02:16 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

On Thu, 20 May 2010 16:48:28 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"
wrote:

Worcester Park also has the white on black signage, but lacking zone
info (the the others like this being Hampton Court and New Malden).

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ew_signage.JPG

Looks fairly professional.

Neil

Mizter T May 21st 10 03:03 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

wrote:

Worcester Park also has the white on black signage, but lacking zone
info (the the others like this being Hampton Court and New Malden).

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ew_signage.JPG

Looks fairly professional.

Wonder if the colour scheme - specifically the inverted white on navy
blue (for that's what it is right - it's not black I don't think) is
intended to discourage casual graffitists and taggers, what with the
lack of empty white space? Or maybe it just provides the best
contrast.

What's the font? It looks like the SWT house font to me, which is why
I wonder whether this is the embodiment of a new national standard...
Or maybe the standard is rather loose, merely specifying white on navy
blue text, but the font is of the TOCs choosing.

Looking back at the Surbiton examples in the first post of this
thread, it is indeed the same font - and it's not the classic (BR)
Rail Alphabet font either.

Paul Terry[_2_] May 21st 10 04:44 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

In message
,
Mizter T writes

What's the font? It looks like the SWT house font to me,

Which I think is plain old Arial Bold, although not a bad choice because
it is a font recommended for clarity, particularly for people with
visual impairments.

--
Paul Terry

MIG May 21st 10 07:40 PM

On 21 May, 00:52, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 20 May, 18:57, MIG wrote:

Dr. *wrote:
[...]

Here's what I mean. Pardon the crappy picture. I couldn't get the
Thing to work, and then as I was giving up the shutter went off.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fenny.jpg

Mizter T May 21st 10 10:21 PM

On May 21, 8:40*pm, MIG wrote:

On 21 May, 00:52, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

On 20 May, 18:57, MIG wrote:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._entrance..JPG
You mean just like the above but the lettering colours reversed?-

Here's what I mean. *Pardon the crappy picture. *I couldn't get the
Thing to work, and then as I was giving up the shutter went off.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fenny.jpg

That looks very much like the London Midland house font to me -
whether the black backing is explained by that being the LM house
style too (see their printed publicity or website for example), or
because there's some edict that station nameboards and totems won't
carry TOC logos any more I dunno. But if there is such an edict then
it' would appear to be somewhat loose.

Neil Williams May 23rd 10 07:03 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:40:50 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

Here's what I mean. Pardon the crappy picture. I couldn't get the
Thing to work, and then as I was giving up the shutter went off.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fenny.jpg

That's the white-on-black London Midland signage.

Neil

MIG May 23rd 10 07:22 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

wrote:
Here's what I mean. *Pardon the crappy picture. *I couldn't get the
Thing to work, and then as I was giving up the shutter went off.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fenny.jpg

That's the white-on-black London Midland signage.

Yes; that's what I would have assumed if it hadn't been for the
discussion. But that particular style/combination is not something I
have noticed till recently, even on LM. Maybe I just haven't noticed.

Neil Williams May 23rd 10 07:39 PM

South West Trains platform signage.

On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:22:05 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

Yes; that's what I would have assumed if it hadn't been for the
discussion. But that particular style/combination is not something I
have noticed till recently, even on LM. Maybe I just haven't noticed.

You probably haven't :). All LM stations that have had the new
signage are in that style (that might well now be all LM stations full
stop - even Polesworth has had it!)

Neil