Old May 14th 10, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Query

I went from Piccadilly Circus to Kings Cross on the piccadilly line.
I went to the Eurostar ticket office to buy a ticket which took about
10 minutes. I then went from Kings Cross to Paddington on the
Hammersmith and City. These were two separate journeys but seem to
have only been charged for one.

Old May 14th 10, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/05/2010 22:46, trainmanUK wrote:
I went from Piccadilly Circus to Kings Cross on the piccadilly line.
I went to the Eurostar ticket office to buy a ticket which took about
10 minutes. I then went from Kings Cross to Paddington on the
Hammersmith and City. These were two separate journeys but seem to
have only been charged for one.

Perfectly correct. King's Cross St. Pancras (Tube) - King's Cross St.
Pancras (Met) is one of several "Out of Station Interchanges" possible
in that area, with a permitted time of 15 minutes between touching out
one of the Tube gate lines and touching in at the Met one.

If you touch back in after more than 15 minutes, it's treated as a new
journey.

Cheers,

Barry

Old May 15th 10, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 May, 23:00, Barry Salter wrote:
On 14/05/2010 22:46, trainmanUK wrote: I went from Piccadilly Circus to Kings Cross on the piccadilly line.
I went to the Eurostar ticket office to buy a ticket which took about
10 minutes. *I then went from Kings *Cross to Paddington on the
Hammersmith and City. *These were two separate journeys but *seem to
have only been charged for one.

Perfectly correct. King's Cross St. Pancras (Tube) - King's Cross St.
Pancras (Met) is one of several "Out of Station Interchanges" possible
in that area, with a permitted time of 15 minutes between touching out
one of the Tube gate lines and touching in at the Met one.

If you touch back in after more than 15 minutes, it's treated as a new
journey.

Cheers,

Barry

Thats handy to know. Saved me £1.80. Is there a list anywhere of
these break of journey opportunities
Old May 16th 10, 04:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote in news:855vf7Fv7pU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 14/05/2010 22:46, trainmanUK wrote:
I went from Piccadilly Circus to Kings Cross on the piccadilly line.
I went to the Eurostar ticket office to buy a ticket which took about
10 minutes. I then went from Kings Cross to Paddington on the
Hammersmith and City. These were two separate journeys but seem to
have only been charged for one.

Perfectly correct. King's Cross St. Pancras (Tube) - King's Cross St.
Pancras (Met) is one of several "Out of Station Interchanges" possible
in that area, with a permitted time of 15 minutes between touching out
one of the Tube gate lines and touching in at the Met one.

If you touch back in after more than 15 minutes, it's treated as a new
journey.

Cheers,

Barry

This, of course, is why any self-respecting ticket office has a queue of at
least 15 minutes :-)
Old May 16th 10, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
s.com of Sat, 15 May 2010 01:30:37 in uk.transport.london, trainmanUK
writes
[...]

Yes, there is. People are regularly supplied with a list following
Freedom of Information ACT requests. There is one from January at
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...1/attach/3/OSI
s%20with%20times%20Jan%2010.xls. It is not complete. e.g. There is an
OSI between Paddington City (Bakerloo and Lawn ticket halls) and
Paddington Suburban (platforms 15 and 16). I just spent 15 minutes on
the phone to the Oyster Customer Service Centre to ask the question. At
first I was told the answer is 40 minutes which is the time between LU
and NR. 20 minutes was then suggested. I have later information from
April. I am not able to publish it. Sadly, it does not give the OSIs
(probably symmetrical) between the 2 Dalston stations - ISTR, there is
no service at one of those stations due to LOROL's withdrawing trains
for several months.
It should be worth making another FOI request once Overground runs from
Dalston to Croydon. I don't know if it is within the rules to make an
ongoing request for such transient information.

I was pointed at the site by the thread "Bus drivers' Big Red Book".
I like the idea of that site as information provided becomes public.

I am tempted to ask for working timetables. They have provided them on
paper, but deny they can be provided in a machine readable form. I don't
fancy 2100 pages on paper.

I saw Epicentre say "... any self-respecting ticket
office has a queue of at least 15 minutes". This may be true at the 2
old ticket offices in King's Cross (Metropolitan and Tube). The Northern
seems deserted, whenever I visit and Pentonville Road seems ripe for
closure.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old May 19th 10, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 19, 3:08*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:46:25 -0700 (PDT), trainmanUK
wrote:

I went from Piccadilly Circus to Kings Cross on the piccadilly line.
I went to the Eurostar ticket office to buy a ticket which took about
10 minutes. *I then went from Kings *Cross to Paddington on the
Hammersmith and City. *These were two separate journeys but *seem to
have only been charged for one.

The Interchange time at Kings Cross St Pancras is fairly long given the
extensive distances between certain ticket halls. Given your description
it sounds like the system did the right thing in assuming a through
journey even though from your viewpoint you broke your journey. I
wouldn't worry about it - there's nothing you can do about it other than
spend much longer on your "break".

That was why I made sure I had a Cambridge to Zones 1 and 2 Off-Peak
Return paper ticket yesterday to avoid that happening when I went to visit
the ELLX.

You mean you had a Cambridge to zones 1-6 Day Travelcard - outboundary
Day Travelcards don't come in less than zones 1-6 flavour (indeed, I
don't think they come in more than zones 1-6 flavour either i.e. zones
1-9 - at least not yet).

Anyhow that's a sensible move for anyone who wants to 'bash' the new/
re-opened line.
Old May 19th 10, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 19 May, 15:23, Mizter T wrote:
On May 19, 3:08*pm, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It's remarkable how the possession of a paper outboundary season for
any period almost immediately results in a need to use the
Metropolitan beyond Moor Park. There must be some rule about this:
"Betjemen's Law" or something. One has to get off on the way to get
the right Oyster fare.
Old May 19th 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 19, 5:23*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
On May 19, 3:08*pm, wrote:

That was why I made sure I had a Cambridge to Zones 1 and 2 Off-Peak
Return paper ticket yesterday to avoid that happening when I went to
visit the ELLX.

You mean you had a Cambridge to zones 1-6 Day Travelcard - outboundary
Day Travelcards don't come in less than zones 1-6 flavour (indeed, I
don't think they come in more than zones 1-6 flavour either i.e. zones
1-9 - at least not yet).

Read carefully what I wrote. I had an Off-Peak Return, not a Day Return.

Aha, OK - so what, did you use that zones 1&2 validity to travel on
the ELL then?