London Banter

-   -   Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / newRoutemaster) unveiled (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10819-final-design-new-bus-london.html)

Mizter T May 17th 10 12:32 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / newRoutemaster) unveiled

Mayoral press release:
http://www.london.gov.uk/media/press...80%99s-new-bus
or via http://tinyurl.com/395bm2k

New Bus for London page on the GLA/Mayoral website (including a video
presentation):
http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/transport/new-bus-london

TfL project page:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/15493.aspx

BBC News online story:

Evening Standard story:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23834671-.do

Evening Standard comment - Ross Lydall's blog post:
http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2010/05...dows-open.html
or via http://tinyurl.com/2v8uwxy

I'm a bit of a sceptic with regards to this whole endeavour (and very
much a sceptic with regards to the withdrawal of the supposedly evil
bendy buses - but I'll put that aside for now) - but I won't pretend
that I find the proposed (or rather, apparently finalised) design
unattractive - to my eyes at least, it does look good. I suppose the
project does kind of appeal to the 'schoolboy fantasist' element that
lurks within... I dare say that thought might explain a significant
part of the broader allure of this whole venture, one which was after
all instigated by the grown-up schoolboy that is Mayor Bozza. The
talking heads in the TfL video do all seem quite enthused by it,
though I must say they do perhaps betray a little uncertainty over
whether it's all really going to, y'know, actually happen - but maybe
that's just me projecting my thoughts onto their utterances. (And if
it is going to actually happen, then it might as well be done
properly, workably and professionally I suppose.)

All that said, this is the only bus 'thing' that Boris seems to take
any interest in - one can't help but feel his mindset just regards
buses (well, the Routemaster and this new BorisBus) as little more
than moving ornaments to be admired from afar, rather than as a vital
mode of transport that needs to be treated as a cohesive network,
cared for and maintained. If the BorisBus project means other bus
services get cut back and fares go up, then the "stunning red
emblem[s] of 21st century London" (BoJo's words) will take on
something of a different hue.

Recliner[_2_] May 17th 10 01:11 PM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

All that said, this is the only bus 'thing' that Boris seems to take
any interest in - one can't help but feel his mindset just regards
buses (well, the Routemaster and this new BorisBus) as little more
than moving ornaments to be admired from afar, rather than as a vital
mode of transport that needs to be treated as a cohesive network,
cared for and maintained. If the BorisBus project means other bus
services get cut back and fares go up, then the "stunning red
emblem[s] of 21st century London" (BoJo's words) will take on
something of a different hue.

Boris is a cyclist, so I doubt that he regards buses as little more than
"moving ornaments to be admired from afar". Probably more like "hulking
great lethal monsters to avoid".

Tom Barry May 17th 10 01:12 PM

Mizter T wrote:
to my eyes at least, it does look good

Not to mine - the front is a hideous, bulbous eyed mess and looks like
it's got a black eye, while the back sacrifices the rear window for a
stylistic swoosh. The sides are OK in a 'just like any modern long
distance coach' way, but who judges a bus by its sides?

What's more important is how big the thing is, looks huge to me. It
would have to be to fit in 87 seats, three doors and two staircases, mind.

It's not a Routemaster.

Tom

MIG May 17th 10 01:38 PM

On 17 May, 14:12, Tom Barry wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
to my eyes at least, it does look good

Not to mine - the front is a hideous, bulbous eyed mess and looks like
it's got a black eye, while the back sacrifices the rear window for a
stylistic swoosh. *The sides are OK in a 'just like any modern long
distance coach' way, but who judges a bus by its sides?

What's more important is how big the thing is, looks huge to me. *It
would have to be to fit in 87 seats, three doors and two staircases, mind..

It's not a Routemaster.

Tom

Good. A Routemaster was already retro in the 1950s. The bendys have
weaned us off filing through a narrow gap past the driver, at the cost
of a ludicrous amount of wasted road space.

So, does it allow plenty of access points, upper deck rather than
excessive road space and general accessibility?

Chances are it does, in which case I might take back some of my
criticisms of the project. Though I can't see why such a fanfare and
competion and all the other palaver were ever necessary in designing a
suitable bus for London.

Graham Harrison[_2_] May 17th 10 03:24 PM

"Tom Barry" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote:
to my eyes at least, it does look good

Not to mine - the front is a hideous, bulbous eyed mess and looks like
it's got a black eye, while the back sacrifices the rear window for a
stylistic swoosh. The sides are OK in a 'just like any modern long
distance coach' way, but who judges a bus by its sides?

What's more important is how big the thing is, looks huge to me. It would
have to be to fit in 87 seats, three doors and two staircases, mind.

It's not a Routemaster.

Tom

Are we sure it's 87 seats? Or is it 87 capacity (x seats and y standing)?

Mizter T May 17th 10 04:23 PM

Mizter T wrote:
to my eyes at least, it does look good

Not to mine - the front is a hideous, bulbous eyed mess and looks like
it's got a black eye, while the back sacrifices the rear window for a
stylistic swoosh. *The sides are OK in a 'just like any modern long
distance coach' way, but who judges a bus by its sides?

What's more important is how big the thing is, looks huge to me. *It
would have to be to fit in 87 seats, three doors and two staircases, mind.

It's not a Routemaster.

Good. *A Routemaster was already retro in the 1950s. *The bendys have
weaned us off filing through a narrow gap past the driver, at the cost
of a ludicrous amount of wasted road space.

The "wasted road space" of which you speak being space used for
passengers actually on the bus - the long single deck and multiple
doors meaning loading and unloading happens quicker thus dwell times
are reduced, making journeys speedier and resulting in fewer actual
vehicles being required.

(I think it was Tom Barry - well it must have been - who attempted to
work out the total road space that would be used by the double-deckers
that replaced the bendies on route 38 - IIRC his calculation was that
they would actually occupy *more* road space.)

So, does it allow plenty of access points, upper deck rather than
excessive road space and general accessibility?

Chances are it does, in which case I might take back some of my
criticisms of the project. *[...]

(Leaving aside road space issues...)

I don't think you can conclude that at all, certainly not yet at
least. There is absolutely no clarity on how these new Borismaster
buses would/will operate in practice - to what extent will they be be
manned with a conductor (daytime only? peak hours only? not on
Sundays? central London only?), bearing in mind that one of the
fundamental design requirements was for the new bus to be able to
operate with just one person mode (i.e. just the driver).

When they are in OPO (one person operation) mode, the back door seems
as though it'll be locked out of use - i.e. it won't open at all, pax
will have to use other doors. It's entirely unclear as to whether pax
will be able to board and leave by either of the other two doors (i.e.
the front and middle ones) ala a bendy bus (or the 507 and 521 'Red
Arrow' new non-bendy single deckers). It could well be that the bus
then operates akin to a conventional OPO double-decker, with boarding
pax filing past the driver whilst presenting their tickets/ smartcards
and leaving via the middle door - there's nothing in any of the blurb
to say that it would operate in 'board/alight any door' mode (also
bear in mind that one of the common criticisms of the bendies is that
the 'honesty box' fares collection system is open to abuse - I think
Boris & co have voiced this, although perhaps not as prominently as
other criticisms).

Also, it's unclear how the new Borismaster buses would/will operate
when in conductor/"uniformed presence" mode, i.e. two person operation
mode. It's unclear if the front two doors are to open at bus stops as
well as the back platform remaining open - one could perhaps argue
that rear open platform should be the only regular entrance/exit when
operating 'Routemaster mode' (except for those in wheelchairs, and
perhaps prams and buggies... and those with luggage or bags of
shopping? those with more limited mobility?).

If however one or both of the other doors are to be used, then the
whole rear open platform concept starts to look like a right gimmick -
some of the benefits attributed to the Routemasters of old, i.e. that
the open platform provided flexibility at bus stops with people able
to hop-on and off at will without the driver having to deal with
operating the doors (dealing with the pax being the conductors job),
these benefits would be negated if the driver of the new Borismaster
*did* have to deal with the doors too.

So, having mulled it over for a little while, my scepticism levels are
rising again. The raison d'etre of the NB4L / BorisBus / Borismaster
(call it what you will) is the open platform at the rear of the bus -
but if that real platform is only going to see limited use, then it
rather calls the whole thing into question. Furthermore, and
crucially. a two person operated bus - i.e. plus a
conductor/"uniformed presence" - adds dramatically to the running
costs. I've never got very excited over the concept of re-introducing
conductors - sure, they might be a kind of 'nice to have', but most
pax these days already have a ticket of some sort before boarding a
bus, which rather removes the raison d'etre for conductors. Plus, I
think it's far nicer to have a frequent, reliable and comprehensive
bus network than a patchy and infrequent network, albeit one with a
few buses that have conductors on-board. And if you don't have
conductors on-board then you don't have open platforms either, because
a solo driver sure as hell can't be expected to monitor an open
platform.

None of the thoughts above are remotely original - indeed I suspect
the simple equation is much the same as that which was laid down by
TfL bods before ex-Mayor Ken, who decided that a comprehensive bus
network rather than a gimmicky one was the way forwards.

Also, and I think it was Paul C who made this point, *if* the new
buses are a big success with the public, then that might create a real
problem for the future - what with demands coming in from all quarters
of London that people want the new Borismaster buses on their local
bus routes, or indeed want conductors to stay on board for longer
(outside of busy times, or outside the centre of London, or whatever).
The cost of buying these buses will be greater, and crucially the cost
of operating them will be greater, and the big piggy bank is not only
empty, it's full of anti-matter, and that situation isn't about to
change any time soon.

Did I say I was a bit sceptical about it all?!

Garius May 17th 10 04:58 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / newRoutemaster) unveiled

You're not getting 87 seats:

CAPACITY

Total Capacity: 87
Lower Deck: 22 seats (That total includes 4 priority seats and 6
preferential seats for passengers with restricted mobility) 25
standing.
Wheelchair Bays: 1
Upped Deck: 40 seats

DIMENSIONS

Length: 11.2m
Width: 2.55m
Height: 4.4m

Richard J.[_3_] May 17th 10 05:21 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / newRoutemaster) unveiled

Garius wrote on 17 May 2010 17:58:16 ...
You're not getting 87 seats:

CAPACITY

Total Capacity: 87
Lower Deck: 22 seats (That total includes 4 priority seats and 6
preferential seats for passengers with restricted mobility) 25
standing.
Wheelchair Bays: 1
Upped Deck: 40 seats

DIMENSIONS

Length: 11.2m
Width: 2.55m
Height: 4.4m

From a quick measurement of a still from one of the videos, it looks to
me as if the wheelbase will be around 6.25m. So it will have a longer
body and a longer wheelbase than current London double-deckers, which
won't do much for its manoeuvrability in London's streets. Can someone
remind me in what way this design is particularly suitable for London?

Also, why is this to be *exclusive* to London? From today's publicity
(saying other cities will be "envious" etc.), it sounds as if TfL are
going to licence the design for London only. If it's such a good
design, why not let WrightBus sell it elsewhere, which would help to
bring down the production costs?
--
Richard J.

Mizter T May 17th 10 05:44 PM

On May 17, 5:58*pm, Garius wrote:

You're not getting 87 seats:

CAPACITY

Total Capacity: 87
Lower Deck: 22 seats (That total includes 4 priority seats and 6
preferential seats for passengers with restricted mobility) 25
standing.
Wheelchair Bays: 1
Upped Deck: 40 seats

DIMENSIONS

Length: 11.2m
Width: 2.55m
Height: 4.4m

So a total of 62 seats.

Remarkably duff question from me - how many seats has a bendy bus got,
is it 49? And what is the notional standing capacity? I should know
the answers to both, but alas I must admit I don't off-hand, and my
Google-fu is rather letting me down at the moment (not least because
the web is full of rather more heat than light when it comes to bendy
buses!).

Matt Carlson May 17th 10 06:49 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / newRoutemaster) unveiled

I like it (it's a lot better than the previous Routemaster pastiche
designs).

Oddly, it looks like the front of an early Leyland Atlantean, (such as
this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EDW68D.jpg), combined with
the back of a Routemaster...

Tom Barry May 17th 10 08:17 PM

Graham Harrison wrote:

It's not a Routemaster.

Tom

Are we sure it's 87 seats? Or is it 87 capacity (x seats and y standing)?

As Garius points out, it's 87 *capacity* which explains a lot - the
actual seating is less than the original Routemaster let alone a modern
double decker or even a bendy, which has twice as many seats downstairs.

In point of fact it's got fewer seats downstairs than a modern midi-bus,
the local ones of which tend to have about 25.

Tom

MIG May 17th 10 09:19 PM

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

But the total area taken up by lots of small vehicles doesn't cause
anything like the havoc caused by one very long one. If it did, you'd
have one bus a mile long causing less problems than 176 double
deckers.

The issues around blocking crossings and not being able to move across
box junctions etc etc are because all the length is in a single
vehicle.

So, does it allow plenty of access points, upper deck rather than
excessive road space and general accessibility?

Chances are it does, in which case I might take back some of my
criticisms of the project. *[...]

(Leaving aside road space issues...)

much cut

Not wanting to make all this exceptionally large, I accept all your
scepticism that I'm not forwarding on, and you couldn't be much more
sceptical than I already was; just that I melted slightly to see that
it isn't the Routemaster pastiche.

Steve Fitzgerald May 17th 10 09:52 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new Routemaster) unveiled

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

The 12m Tri-axle version of the above bus for Hong Kong can readily
carry 80 seated and 46 standees! These are dual doored vehicles and
the seat pitch is a tad less generous than the UK given the slightly
smaller proportions of the HK Chinese.

Hey, leave The Boy out of this;)

MIG May 17th 10 10:01 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / newRoutemaster) unveiled

On 17 May, 22:30, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:19:42 -0700 (PDT), MIG

wrote:
On 17 May, 17:23, Mizter T wrote:
(I think it was Tom Barry - well it must have been - who attempted to
work out the total road space that would be used by the double-deckers
that replaced the bendies on route 38 - IIRC his calculation was that
they would actually occupy *more* road space.)

But the total area taken up by lots of small vehicles doesn't cause
anything like the havoc caused by one very long one. *If it did, you'd
have one bus a mile long causing less problems than 176 double
deckers.

So speaks the voice of someone who hasn't encountered a swarm of public
light buses in Hong Kong blocking the highway. *There are other places
that have similar schemes with "free enterprise" midibuses or shared
taxis. *Chile and Moscow spring to mind as does somewhere in Asia.

Unless that's the only alternative to bendy buses in London I don't
see the relevance.

I am not actually claiming that three double deckers are going to be
replaced by single deckers a mile long, but it's just as unlikely.

I was assuming some kind of equivalence in capacity, not one bendy
replaced by a whole swarm.

The issues around blocking crossings and not being able to move across
box junctions etc etc are because all the length is in a single
vehicle.

We've done this to death but inconsiderate drivers of vehicles of any
length can block box junctions if they see fit - double deck buses
included.

We certainly have, and considerate drivers are more likely to make a
mistake if their vehicle is very long, and also have to hold back when
smaller vehicles could have gone ahead. (They are mostly rescued by
bus lanes, but not everywhere.)

Neil Williams May 17th 10 10:02 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new Routemaster) unveiled

On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:12:43 +0100, Tom Barry
wrote:

What's more important is how big the thing is, looks huge to me. It
would have to be to fit in 87 seats, three doors and two staircases, mind.

It's not a Routemaster.

I think it is to a Routemaster what a new Mini is to an old one. It
could never have been as small as a real Routemaster, as it couldn't
have been made accessible enough. And while Routemasters are quite
fun, there is a bit of a lack of legroom for us taller passengers.

I think it's in essence a vertical-engined (I assume) Wright hybrid
decker with a bodykit. This will probably help to make it not too
expensive, which means it might actually happen.

Put differently, I was a cynic, but now I've seen it I like it, even
if it does run around 90% of the time driver-only with the platform
closed. Though if it does do that they'll need some means of making
that visible - will it perhaps be shown on the blind?

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

Neil Williams May 17th 10 10:23 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new Routemaster) unveiled

On Mon, 17 May 2010 22:30:59 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

So speaks the voice of someone who hasn't encountered a swarm of public
light buses in Hong Kong blocking the highway. There are other places
that have similar schemes with "free enterprise" midibuses or shared
taxis. Chile and Moscow spring to mind as does somewhere in Asia.

They were banned some time ago in Kuala Lumpur because they did clog
the place up.

Neil

Tom Barry May 17th 10 10:56 PM

Mizter T wrote:

(I think it was Tom Barry - well it must have been - who attempted to
work out the total road space that would be used by the double-deckers
that replaced the bendies on route 38 - IIRC his calculation was that
they would actually occupy *more* road space.)

Using the then-current DD lengths it was less on the 38 but a lot more
on the 507/521 with their 12m single deckers, so the net change of the
first debendifications was zero (well, 9m). Generally replacement with
normal DDs reduces the length, though.

Ahem:
38 bendy - 18*47 = 846m
38 DD - 10.4*72 = 748.8m
38 BM - 11.2*72 = 806.4m

So you save a bit of space, just under four bus lengths. Subsequent
conversions are at lower replacement rates, which increases the
reduction at the expense of capacity.

Obviously amount of road taken up isn't the be all and end all - the 521
bunches badly whenever I've seen it post-conversion; my personal record
is four in a row. In any case anyone in the industry will tell you it's
not buses that hold up traffic but junctions.

Tom

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 07:58 AM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new Routemaster) unveiled

wrote:

It's not a Routemaster.

I think it is to a Routemaster what a new Mini is to an old one. It
could never have been as small as a real Routemaster, as it couldn't
have been made accessible enough. And while Routemasters are quite
fun, there is a bit of a lack of legroom for us taller passengers.

I think it's in essence a vertical-engined (I assume) Wright hybrid
decker with a bodykit. This will probably help to make it not too
expensive, which means it might actually happen.

Put differently, I was a cynic, but now I've seen it I like it, even
if it does run around 90% of the time driver-only with the platform
closed. Though if it does do that they'll need some means of making
that visible - will it perhaps be shown on the blind?

It is a strange combination of about 85% modern bus with the remaining
15% at the back being a grafted-on Routemaster-style platform and
stairs.

If it did run around 90% of the time driver-only with the platform
closed, what would be the point of it?

[email protected] May 18th 10 08:32 AM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Mon, 17 May 2010 23:56:03 +0100
Tom Barry wrote:
Obviously amount of road taken up isn't the be all and end all - the 521
bunches badly whenever I've seen it post-conversion; my personal record
is four in a row. In any case anyone in the industry will tell you it's
not buses that hold up traffic but junctions.

They may be what people with a vested interest will say but anyone who drives
in londons knows that if theres slow moving traffic theres either a bus or
a pensioner at the head of it. Usually the former. And the best bit is when
bus drivers can't be arsed to pull into bus stops even where they're clear
and just stop in the middle of the road causing a jam. And thats before you
get onto the topic of the underpowered heaps not being able to maintain the
speed limit going up certain hills such as hampstead, highgate and mill hill.

B2003

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 08:52 AM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:32:00 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

And thats before you
get onto the topic of the underpowered heaps not being able to maintain the
speed limit going up certain hills such as hampstead, highgate and mill hill.

The speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum.

Paul Terry[_2_] May 18th 10 08:57 AM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

In message , d
writes

anyone who drives in londons knows that if theres slow moving traffic
theres either a bus or a pensioner at the head of it.

In my experience, there's much more likely to be traffic lights or road
works at the head of the queue. Two of the worst junctions in these
parts are not even served by buses.

--
Paul Terry

Mizter T May 18th 10 09:11 AM

wrote:

[...]

Well, quite.

There's very little clarity about how often it'll run with a
conductor, how it'll work both with and without a conductor, and how
London can justify the extra expense of conductors particularly given
the ticketing situation nowadays (i.e. the majority of people have a
prepaid ticket of some sort). Or if they're not to be a conductor but
a "uniformed presence" just what form that presence will take.

[email protected] May 18th 10 09:11 AM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:52:05 +0100
Bruce wrote:
And thats before you
get onto the topic of the underpowered heaps not being able to maintain the
speed limit going up certain hills such as hampstead, highgate and mill hill.

The speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum.

Drive a Rover or a Volvo by any chance do you?

If the speed limit is 30 it would help the traffic flow if a bus could maintain
30, not struggle to manage 20.

B2003

[email protected] May 18th 10 09:13 AM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:57:40 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
anyone who drives in londons knows that if theres slow moving traffic
theres either a bus or a pensioner at the head of it.

In my experience, there's much more likely to be traffic lights or road
works at the head of the queue. Two of the worst junctions in these
parts are not even served by buses.

Buses make junctions even worse by either not being able to accelerate
quick enough to allow many vehicles behind to get through. On the idiotically
short green sequences in a lot of london it makes a difference.

B2003

Recliner[_2_] May 18th 10 09:34 AM

Bruce wrote:
And thats before you
get onto the topic of the underpowered heaps not being able to
maintain the speed limit going up certain hills such as hampstead,
highgate and mill hill.

The speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum.

Drive a Rover or a Volvo by any chance do you?

He's already told us (in other threads) that he drives an S Class Merc.

[email protected] May 18th 10 09:38 AM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:34:11 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:
The speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum.

Drive a Rover or a Volvo by any chance do you?

He's already told us (in other threads) that he drives an S Class Merc.

Why arn't I convinced....

B2003

MIG May 18th 10 09:45 AM

wrote:

[...]

Although just because we don't happen to know the plan, that doesn't
mean that there isn't one or that it can't be sensible (or, I hope,
that it depends on Boris's personal involvement).

I could think of something off the top of my head which would involve
a "uniformed presence" in the sections of routes and at times of day
which exactly match when fast loading of crowds at bus stops is
required. At the country end late in the evening, it won't matter.

I expect it's not beyond the realms of possibility that someone at TfL
can think of these things too, and there could be a glimmer hope that
someone has seized an opportunity from the Boris-related crisis.

David Cantrell May 18th 10 10:32 AM

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:23:30AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

(I think it was Tom Barry - well it must have been - who attempted to
work out the total road space that would be used by the double-deckers
that replaced the bendies on route 38 - IIRC his calculation was that
they would actually occupy *more* road space.)

Total road space doesn't matter as much as the space taken up by an
individual bus. It's the latter that determines how much the other
traffic is held up as they block junctions etc.

This is obvious if you consider an artic versus a handful of cars, or a
car vs a handful of motorbikes.

If however one or both of the other doors are to be used, then the
whole rear open platform concept starts to look like a right gimmick -
some of the benefits attributed to the Routemasters of old, i.e. that
the open platform provided flexibility at bus stops ...

No, it provided flexibiilty when *not* at bus stops. It was common for
people to get on and off when the bus was stopped at traffic lights, for
example. This was Not Allowed, of course, and there was even a little
sticker near the entrance to tell you that, but in practice it's how a
lot of people got on and off, staff never stopped us from doing it, and
it went a long way to mitigate the problem of having everyone funnel
through a single entrance.

I've never got very excited over the concept of re-introducing
conductors - sure, they might be a kind of 'nice to have', but most
pax these days already have a ticket of some sort before boarding a
bus, which rather removes the raison d'etre for conductors.

They're useful for helping passengers by telling them where to get off,
helping the infirm on and off, and so on.

Supposedly, having uniformed staff makes some people feel safer too.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

I'm in retox

David Cantrell May 18th 10 10:45 AM

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:02:05AM +0200, Neil Williams wrote:

I think it is to a Routemaster what a new Mini is to an old one. It
could never have been as small as a real Routemaster, as it couldn't
have been made accessible enough. And while Routemasters are quite
fun, there is a bit of a lack of legroom for us taller passengers.

I'm 6'3" and never noticed this supposed lack of legroom on
Routemasters. I notice it all the time on modern buses though - I
suppose the difference is that the RM's seat backs had a bit of give in
them instead of being made of hard plastic shells, and so I could sit
without crushing my kneecaps.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

Godliness is next to Englishness

MIG May 18th 10 10:49 AM

On 18 May, 11:32, David Cantrell wrote:
[...]

And I had in mind things like selling tickets or Oyster cards to
confused visitors and those who supposedly travel for free at the
moment.

The security guard aspect was less in my mind than the helpfulness
possibilities.

Basil Jet[_2_] May 18th 10 11:12 AM

On 18/05/2010 08:58, Bruce wrote:

It is a strange combination of about 85% modern bus with the remaining
15% at the back being a grafted-on Routemaster-style platform and
stairs.

If it did run around 90% of the time driver-only with the platform
closed, what would be the point of it?

Maybe the conductors will only be used on the Oxford Street section,
getting off at Marble Arch and manning the next bus back...

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 12:37 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new Routemaster) unveiled

On Tue, 18 May 2010 12:12:33 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 18/05/2010 08:58, Bruce wrote:

It is a strange combination of about 85% modern bus with the remaining
15% at the back being a grafted-on Routemaster-style platform and
stairs.

If it did run around 90% of the time driver-only with the platform
closed, what would be the point of it?

Maybe the conductors will only be used on the Oxford Street section,
getting off at Marble Arch and manning the next bus back...

That actually sounds quite sensible. If that was the case, I'm not
sure I have total confidence that the system for closing off the
platform would be reliable enough to be opened and closed quite so
frequently.

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 12:39 PM

Bruce wrote:
And thats before you
get onto the topic of the underpowered heaps not being able to
maintain the speed limit going up certain hills such as hampstead,
highgate and mill hill.

The speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum.

Drive a Rover or a Volvo by any chance do you?

He's already told us (in other threads) that he drives an S Class Merc.

Not any more. :-(

Now it's an E Class. :-)

I got fed up trying to find parking spaces that were big enough!

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 12:44 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:13:41 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

Buses make junctions even worse by either not being able to accelerate
quick enough to allow many vehicles behind to get through.

When I am a bus passenger, and especially when standing, the last
thing I want to endure is rapid acceleration.

You might be more content about the situation if you regard the roads
as being there primarily for commercial vehicles and public transport,
with cars somewhat further down the pecking order.

Your current approach is perhaps rather too reminiscent of Mr Toad,
and it didn't seem to do him much good. ;-)

[email protected] May 18th 10 12:52 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 13:44:27 +0100
Bruce wrote:
You might be more content about the situation if you regard the roads
as being there primarily for commercial vehicles and public transport,

Except they're not. Everyone who uses the roads (apart from lycra louts)
pays road tax. Ergo we all have equal rights on them. And last time I looked
an HGV or bus wouldn't fit down the road outside my house anyway , so where
does that leave your argument?

B2003

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 01:07 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

Bruce wrote:
You might be more content about the situation if you regard the roads
as being there primarily for commercial vehicles and public transport,

Except they're not. Everyone who uses the roads (apart from lycra louts)
pays road tax. Ergo we all have equal rights on them.

We all have a responsibility to share them equably with other road
users, as in "live and let live". Life is not all about your rights,
it is also about your responsibility towards others.

[email protected] May 18th 10 01:18 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 14:07:59 +0100
Bruce wrote:
We all have a responsibility to share them equably with other road
users, as in "live and let live". Life is not all about your rights,
it is also about your responsibility towards others.

I'm not sure what that liberal brainfart has to do with buses causing traffic
jams because they're too slow.

B2003

Bruce[_2_] May 18th 10 02:45 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

Bruce wrote:
We all have a responsibility to share them equably with other road
users, as in "live and let live". Life is not all about your rights,
it is also about your responsibility towards others.

I'm not sure what that liberal brainfart has to do with buses causing traffic
jams because they're too slow.

I'm disappointed, though not surprised, that such matters of principle
are apparently so far beyond your limited ability to grasp.

Mike Bristow May 18th 10 03:26 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

In article ,
d wrote:
Except they're not. Everyone who uses the roads (apart from lycra louts)
pays road tax.

Cyclists pay the same VED (not road tax) as all other band A vehicles.

Ergo we all have equal rights on them.

Paying VED is not the source of your rights to use the road.

And last time I looked
an HGV or bus wouldn't fit down the road outside my house anyway , so where
does that leave your argument?

Same place as yours, yours.

--
Please help Imogen May keep talking -
www.imogenmay.com

[email protected] May 18th 10 03:49 PM

Final design for the "New Bus for London" (aka BorisBus / new

On Tue, 18 May 2010 16:26:37 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
d wrote:
Except they're not. Everyone who uses the roads (apart from lycra louts)
pays road tax.

Cyclists pay the same VED (not road tax) as all other band A vehicles.

What do you think an "Âexcise duty" is? Its a tax.

Band A vehicles still have to have a valid a tax disc. Do bicycles?

No.

Ergo we all have equal rights on them.

Paying VED is not the source of your rights to use the road.

Correct, vehicles also have to be insuranced and have a valid MOT. Do bicycles?

No.

And last time I looked
an HGV or bus wouldn't fit down the road outside my house anyway , so where
does that leave your argument?

Same place as yours, yours.

I'm sure that gibberish would mean something to your mother.

B2003