London Banter

-   -   Tube map May 2010 version (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10833-tube-map-may-2010-version.html)

Paul Scott May 20th 10 04:43 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Paul S

Mizter T May 20th 10 05:09 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On May 20, 5:43*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

The empty white space between New Cross Gate and London Bridge does
look a bit odd when you know what's there. Ditto the space between
Waterloo, Vauxhall and Clapham Junction (and indeed CJ to Wimbledon
and Richmond), plus the lack of a line from Victoria to CJ too. And
then there's the lack of a line between CJ and Balham, and then once
you're into this territory you find yourself wanting to start drawing
lines all over the map...!

Anyhow I bet the inclusion of these SE London stations on the Tube map
will also serve to increase awareness and patronage on the existing
Southern service to and from London Bridge.

E27002 May 20th 10 05:10 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On May 20, 9:43*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Thank you for posting Paul. It is good to se TfL's increased presence
in South London. This is long overdue, and very welcome.

Ivor The Engine May 20th 10 05:17 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On Thu, 20 May 2010 17:43:12 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

I still don't get the 'interchange' link between Dalston Junction and
Dalston Kingsland. Is there a practical link or do you have to exit
on to Dalston Lane or Kingsland Road respectively then cross two busy
roads to get to the other station?

MIG May 20th 10 05:35 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On 20 May, 17:43, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Paul S

I notice that it continues the recent tendency not to indicate limited
services and connections with dotted lines (or the weird double route
through Earls Court that used to be shown).

But if limited services are shown as full services, it's about time
that a connection was shown between West India and the Beckton line on
the DLR.

Not sure how long it's been that way, but I don't think it's
particularly helpful to have the dagger symbol against stations all
over the map, and then for the key to appear to say nothing but "Check
before you travel".

It took me a while to work out that the daggered sentence in the key
is actually the heading for all the information below it, rather than
an independent statement. Why check before you travel when all the
information is given immediately below, or does it just mean "check
this here information before you travel" as opposed to the usual
requirement to phone up, check bulletins etc?

Mizter T May 20th 10 06:19 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

wrote:
Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

I still don't get the 'interchange' link between Dalston Junction and
Dalston Kingsland. * Is there a practical link or do you have to exit
on to Dalston Lane or Kingsland Road respectively then cross two busy
roads to get to the other station?

The practical link is the pavement.

You actually only need to cross the main road(s) *once* - if you come
out of Dalston Jn onto Dalston Lane (which the only entrance that's
open at the moment), turn left and go to the south-east corner of the
junction there's a diagonal crossing across Kingsland High Road to the
north-west corner - voila, you're on the right side of the road for
Dalston Kingsland station (with a couple of side roads to cross).

You can see this crossing in the middle of this Bing Maps bird's eye
view - it's sandwiched between the two yellow cross-hatched box
junctions:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?cp=skqxp7g...12454377&sty=o

Of course anyone going to Dalston on the first week of the full ELL
service should be aware that the NLL isn't running from Dalston
Kinsgland until the beginning of June (replacement buses run instead).
Plus the LO network is looking particularly patchy this Sunday - see
the maps that Ian of IanVisits has put together here...
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2010...ink-on-sunday/

-----
[1] Unless the new bus station bit/ bus loop to the south has opened
in the past few days?

Paul Scott May 20th 10 06:24 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

wrote:

Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

I still don't get the 'interchange' link between Dalston Junction and
Dalston Kingsland. Is there a practical link or do you have to exit
on to Dalston Lane or Kingsland Road respectively then cross two busy
roads to get to the other station?

It's only a temporary use of the interchange symbol, surely, because once
the next extension opens it will be a better bet to carry on to Canonbury
and return if heading to/from the east. I'd be surprised if the elongated
interchange isn't ditched next year some time...

Paul S

Peter Masson[_2_] May 20th 10 09:59 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

"MIG" wrote

It took me a while to work out that the daggered sentence in the key
is actually the heading for all the information below it, rather than
an independent statement. Why check before you travel when all the
information is given immediately below, or does it just mean "check
this here information before you travel" as opposed to the usual
requirement to phone up, check bulletins etc?

Possibility of confusion between years and times on the 24 hour cock:
Blackfriars Underground station closed until 2011
Cannon Street open until 2100

Peter

Dr. Sunil May 20th 10 11:36 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On 20 May, 17:43, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Paul S

Pssst,,,,where's Tramlink....?

Basil Jet[_2_] May 20th 10 11:48 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On 21/05/2010 00:36, Dr. Sunil wrote:
On 20 May, 17:43, "Paul wrote:
Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Pssst,,,,where's Tramlink....?

That's a *very* good point! There's not much difference between it and
the DLR. Whereas it might have looked odd hanging disembodied off
Wimbledon in the past, it would look okay now that it links to Croydon too.

[email protected] May 20th 10 11:49 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On 20/05/2010 20:17, Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:

Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

I still don't get the 'interchange' link between Dalston Junction and
Dalston Kingsland. Is there a practical link or do you have to exit
on to Dalston Lane or Kingsland Road respectively then cross two busy
roads to get to the other station?

As Mizter T has indicated you have to cross the roads. However I did
that in order to catch a bus towards Tottenham having exited Dalston
Junction and it's not too horrendous. Not nice in the pouring rain but I
expect there will be a decent flow of people making the change once the
NLL reopens in a couple of weeks or so.

Clearly the real step up happens when the "round the corner" link is
complete to Highbury - personally I can't wait. You can see that the
map is "ready" to cope with that extension and also the DLR extension to
Stratford International in the summer. It won't take a lot of effort to
slot these new links into the tube map as shown via the link above.

When is the ELL connection to Highbury & Islington due to open? Or wehn
will testing start?

Dr. Sunil May 20th 10 11:49 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On 20 May, 17:43, "Paul *wrote:
Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Pssst,,,,where's Tramlink....?

That's a *very* good point! There's not much difference between it and
the DLR. Whereas it might have looked odd hanging disembodied off
Wimbledon in the past, it would look okay now that it links to Croydon too.

Especially as it's also down under "London Rail", IIRC?

[email protected] May 21st 10 12:01 AM

Tube map May 2010 version

In article , ()
wrote:

When is the ELL connection to Highbury & Islington due to open? Or
wehn will testing start?

The through Southbound platform at Dalston Junction looked pretty firmly
buffer stopped to me when I visited this week.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Corfield May 21st 10 07:38 AM

Tube map May 2010 version

On May 21, 12:49*am, "
wrote:
When is the ELL connection to Highbury & Islington due to open? Or wehn
will testing start?

No firm dates yet but Jan or Feb 2011 are the dates I've seen
suggested in various TfL reports. Oddly the updated London Overground
pages on the TfL website say "by May 2011" which is quite a difference
in timing but aligns with the national timetable date change. However
given the extension has its own dedicated tracks I would guess that it
should be possible to just extend certain workings northwards to
Highbury while retaining the paths onto the Southern region. I may
also be being hopelessly optimistic in that assessment.

I have not seen any dates about when testing could commence.

--
Paul C
via Google

Ivor The Engine May 21st 10 11:43 AM

Tube map May 2010 version

On Fri, 21 May 2010 00:38:16 -0700 (PDT), Paul Corfield
wrote:

No firm dates yet but Jan or Feb 2011 are the dates I've seen
suggested in various TfL reports. Oddly the updated London Overground
pages on the TfL website say "by May 2011" which is quite a difference
in timing but aligns with the national timetable date change.

Weren't they been publicising the current opening as May 2010, then
opened the preview service to the public on a limited timetable.
Following the same procedure to H&L would be logical - run a limited
service of through trains (e.g. finishing at 2000) then open fully
under the May timetable.

E27002 May 21st 10 03:29 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

wrote:

[...]

I think the extension to Highbury will be very useful. It is a pity,
IMHO, that it cannot continue to Camden Road, or even Primrose Hill.

Fig May 21st 10 04:51 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

wrote:

Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Paul S

My God, they have trains in Sarf London now ?!?

Scott May 24th 10 08:16 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

wrote:

Mods applied for Sunday's ELL opening

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

I still don't get the 'interchange' link between Dalston Junction and
Dalston Kingsland. Is there a practical link or do you have to exit
on to Dalston Lane or Kingsland Road respectively then cross two busy
roads to get to the other station?

Without knowing the stations involved, I interpreted it as meaning
that Dalston Junction was (wheelchair) accessible and Dalston
Kingsland was not.

Ivor The Engine May 24th 10 10:56 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:16:56 +0100, Scott
wrote:

Without knowing the stations involved, I interpreted it as meaning
that Dalston Junction was (wheelchair) accessible and Dalston
Kingsland was not.

No, there are two different symbols. The wheelchair symbol indicates
that Dalston Junction has step-free access; The linked discs indicate
an interchange with another line - look at Shadwell or Kings Cross for
examples where interchange is at the same station, there are lots
more.

Scott May 24th 10 11:37 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

wrote:

Without knowing the stations involved, I interpreted it as meaning
that Dalston Junction was (wheelchair) accessible and Dalston
Kingsland was not.

No, there are two different symbols. The wheelchair symbol indicates
that Dalston Junction has step-free access; The linked discs indicate
an interchange with another line - look at Shadwell or Kings Cross for
examples where interchange is at the same station, there are lots
more.

But does the lack of wheelchair symbol on the other line not indicate
that only the ELL station has wheelchair access?

Ivor The Engine May 25th 10 09:21 AM

Tube map May 2010 version

On Tue, 25 May 2010 00:37:46 +0100, Scott
wrote:

But does the lack of wheelchair symbol on the other line not indicate
that only the ELL station has wheelchair access?

It's not 'wheelchair access', it's 'step-free access'. People with
limited mobility also appreciate knowing they don't have to climb
stairs.

What you say is correct, but that stands for every other station on
the map without the symbol. The two stations are not physically
linked to one another, you have to exit one and cross a road to get to
the other, making it less of an interchange than it appears to be from
the map. If travelling on Oyster, you would have to touch out and
touch in, potentially charging you for two journeys (unless the system
can recognise that?)

Mizter T May 25th 10 09:37 AM

Tube map May 2010 version

wrote:
But does the lack of wheelchair symbol on the other line not indicate
that only the ELL station has wheelchair access?

It's not 'wheelchair access', it's 'step-free access'. *People with
limited mobility also appreciate knowing they don't have to climb
stairs.

What you say is correct, but that stands for every other station on
the map without the symbol. *The two stations are not physically
linked to one another, you have to exit one and cross a road to get to
the other, making it less of an interchange than it appears to be from
the map. *If travelling on Oyster, you would have to touch out and
touch in, potentially charging you for two journeys (unless the system
can recognise that?)

Yes, the system can recognise that - it's an Out-of-Station
Interchange (OSI) - and in the case of the Dalston stations I'm
absolutely certain that an OSI will be configured between them.

Paul Rigg[_4_] May 25th 10 12:26 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

If you ignore the wheelchair symbol the Dalston Junction symbol looks the
same as the Mile End or Finsbury Park symbols , both of which are cross
platform interchanges.

I note that Hammersmith has also been changed so that the District and
Hammersmith & City stations are joined as one station. I am sure that at
one time they were not. Does this show some change in policy on the part of
LRT . Is it to indicate that Oyster recognises that travel via those
stations is an interchange?

The number of circles at the interchanges appear to have no meaning For
example Baker Street, which is all one station, has two now, wheras West
Hamsptead, which is a Jubilee Line station and an entirely separate North
London line station (originally West End Lane) only shows one.

Basil Jet[_2_] May 25th 10 12:41 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On 25/05/2010 13:26, Paul Rigg wrote:

If you ignore the wheelchair symbol the Dalston Junction symbol looks
the same as the Mile End or Finsbury Park symbols , both of which are
cross platform interchanges.

I note that Hammersmith has also been changed so that the District and
Hammersmith & City stations are joined as one station. I am sure that at
one time they were not. Does this show some change in policy on the part
of LRT . Is it to indicate that Oyster recognises that travel via those
stations is an interchange?

I would imagine that Hammersmith coalesced when the wheelchair blobs
were introduced. The old system of having one interchange blob separated
from the other two would obviously no longer work, since the wheelchair
blob hides the interchangeness.

Mizter T May 25th 10 12:52 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

On May 25, 1:26*pm, "Paul Rigg" wrote:
If you ignore the wheelchair symbol the Dalston Junction symbol looks the
same as the Mile End or Finsbury Park symbols , both of which are cross
platform interchanges.

I note that Hammersmith has also been changed so that the District and
Hammersmith & City stations are joined as one station. *I am sure that at
one time they were not. *Does this show some change in policy on the part of
LRT . *Is it to indicate that Oyster recognises that travel via those
stations is an interchange?

I think it's nothing more than changed thinking about how to best
represent such interchanges - there seems to be various schools of
thought on this, and which one has the upper hand shifts over time.
(Perhaps market research suggested that many passengers genuinely
didn't realise how close the Hammersmith H&C/Circle station was -
combined with the increased frequency as a result of the Circle line T-
cup changes, this new look on the map might help to persuade more
passengers to use it... I'm speculating of course...)

Oyster has recognised the Hammersmiths as a valid Out-of-Station
Interchange (OSI) since the beginning, I think - so nothing has
changed in that regard lately.

(Oh, and LRT are long gone!)

The number of circles at the interchanges appear to have no meaning *For
example Baker Street, which is all one station, *has two now, wheras West
Hamsptead, which is a Jubilee Line station and an entirely separate North
London line station (originally West End Lane) only shows one.

I think it's just the demands of trying to show the lines clearly -
don't try and read too much into it.

[email protected] May 25th 10 09:32 PM

Tube map May 2010 version

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

I think it's nothing more than changed thinking about how to best
represent such interchanges - there seems to be various schools of
thought on this, and which one has the upper hand shifts over time.
(Perhaps market research suggested that many passengers genuinely
didn't realise how close the Hammersmith H&C/Circle station was -
combined with the increased frequency as a result of the Circle line
T-cup changes, this new look on the map might help to persuade more
passengers to use it... I'm speculating of course...)

Indeed so. Didn't the simplification that included removing the Thames and
the zones from the map also amalgamate most multi-disc interchanges into
single discs?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG May 26th 10 09:54 AM

Tube map May 2010 version

On 25 May, 22:32, wrote:
In article
,

(Mizter T) wrote:
I think it's nothing more than changed thinking about how to best
represent such interchanges - there seems to be various schools of
thought on this, and which one has the upper hand shifts over time.
(Perhaps market research suggested that many passengers genuinely
didn't realise how close the Hammersmith H&C/Circle station was -
combined with the increased frequency as a result of the Circle line
T-cup changes, this new look on the map might help to persuade more
passengers to use it... I'm speculating of course...)

Indeed so. Didn't the simplification that included removing the Thames and
the zones from the map also amalgamate most multi-disc interchanges into
single discs?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I think there's a fairly clear principle or two to how they show the
interchanges.

* If the lines cross and there's no difference in accessibility,
there's one disc.

* If it's first stop on a shared stretch (with the same pattern) and
there's no difference in accessibility, there's one disc.

* If the lines come close but but neither cross nor run together with
the same pattern, there are linked discs.

* If there's any difference in accessibility there are linked discs.

Any exceptions to that?