Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 22nd 10, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Extended East London Line opens fully today

....but you knew that already.`

Well - phase 1a of the ELLX opens tomorrow - that's through running
south of New Cross Gate, all stations to West Croydon and Crystal
Palace. The, er, extension of the extension from Dalston Jn on to
Highbury & Islington comes a bit later... and the further extension
from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction (via Peckham etc) comes later
still.

Good news. It's the physical manifestation of some outlandish plans,
in fact. But I think it'll genuinely serve a purpose, and will quickly
become a routine part of London's transport infrastructure - indeed,
half of it already was, but the annexation of the defunct alignment
into Broad Street (defunct no longer) really means the old ELL route
can realise some of its until now unexploited potential.

Thameslink Mark II it might not be but I suggest that would be to miss
the point - it's a new local link for London, linking localities in
the south east and east of London along with the eastern fringe of the
City, and linking much more through new interchange opportunities, at
Canada Water, at Whitechapel, at New Cross NX Gate (and stations south
thereof), at Dalston (and in a year at High & I), and with local buses
all over the shop.

Kudos to the planners for, well, having the vision to plan it, and
dare I say kudos to the newt king for actually making that vision
happen. It's not a Grand Projet, but is perhaps all the more audacious
for that.

More info (from TfL):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...mes/15360.aspx

Limited-ish number of free tickets available for travel on the ELL
today (Sunday 23 May) - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/15514.aspx