Old August 13th 05, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North Finchley Bus Station opens today

It's under the new tower block.... I bet breathing will be fun in there when
all the bus engines are running.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 13th 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" typed

It's under the new tower block.... I bet breathing will be fun in there when
all the bus engines are running.

No doubt. The area is so horrid that the M&S 'Simply Food' shop has
closed down already...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 13th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" typed

It's under the new tower block.... I bet breathing will be fun in there when
all the bus engines are running.

I suspect there'll be notices telling the drivers to switch off engines
while at the stands, to which the customary attention will be paid...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 13th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
It's under the new tower block.... I bet breathing will be fun in there when
all the bus engines are running.

Uh-oh. Whose idea was that? I would have invited them to High Wycombe
bus station (and depot) which is underneath a multi-storey car park.
It's the most horrible place I can think of (and yes, I've been to
Slough...).

I've heard a lot of talk about hybrid vehicles which switch to electric
power in places like high streets where fumes are a big problem. That
technology seems to be coming to cars; why don't we have it on buses in
this country? It would make life more agreeable in many parts of London;
Oxford Street and Knightsbridge spring to mind, as do any bus layovers
where the local residents moan a lot (e.g. South End Green in Hampstead).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 14th 05, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:46:21 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

John Rowland wrote:
It's under the new tower block.... I bet breathing will be fun in there when
all the bus engines are running.

Uh-oh. Whose idea was that? I would have invited them to High Wycombe
bus station (and depot) which is underneath a multi-storey car park.
It's the most horrible place I can think of (and yes, I've been to
Slough...).

Brings back fond memories of the Arndale Centre bus station in
Manchester until it was "closed down" by the IRA...

Old August 14th 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cheeky" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

It's under the new tower block.... I bet breathing will
be fun in there when all the bus engines are running.

Brings back fond memories of the Arndale Centre
bus station in Manchester

Which is exactly the bus station I had in mind when I started the thread...

until it was "closed down" by the IRA...

Everyone talks about the peace dividend, but this is an example of the war
dividend!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 14th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:06:53 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

Brings back fond memories of the Arndale Centre bus station in
Manchester until it was "closed down" by the IRA...

Or Blackpool shudder. On the subject of the Arndale I have no idea
why that was actually closed by the bomb - I don't believe it was
terminally structurally damaged - I think GMPTE just realised what a
hellhole it was and started using the road outside instead, which was
hardly a lot better...

Some of GMPTE's more recent "big greenhouse" bus stations (e.g.
Oldham) seem to me to be the way to go if a bus station is what you
actually need rather than just a few strategically-placed good-quality
shelters. Preston also isn't bad, just very dated (and is also built
under a car park!) The refurbished Chorlton Street in Manchester (OK,
it's a coach station) is also rather nice.

I think the key is that, regardless of where the passenger
accommodation is located, the buses, or at the very least their
exhaust pipes, need to be outside, and it's really a lot better if
some kind of automatic door is provided between the passenger
accommodation and the buses.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old August 14th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:52:00 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Everyone talks about the peace dividend, but this is an example of the war
dividend!

Sometimes it takes something very bad to motivate people to get
together and do something very good. Manchester, or certainly the
bombed part thereof, is a fine example.

Neil

Old August 14th 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
[...]

Hammersmith is an excellent example.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 14th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:48:28 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:06:53 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

Brings back fond memories of the Arndale Centre bus station in
Manchester until it was "closed down" by the IRA...

Or Blackpool shudder. On the subject of the Arndale I have no idea
why that was actually closed by the bomb - I don't believe it was
terminally structurally damaged - I think GMPTE just realised what a
hellhole it was and started using the road outside instead, which was
hardly a lot better...

I think that as part of the masterplan for the bomb-damaged area the
intention was to relocate services from the Arndale/Cannon Street to
the Shudehill Interchange (aka the car park with a bus stop attached)
which will finally open later this year.

Some of GMPTE's more recent "big greenhouse" bus stations (e.g.
Oldham) seem to me to be the way to go if a bus station is what you
actually need rather than just a few strategically-placed good-quality
shelters. Preston also isn't bad, just very dated (and is also built
under a car park!) The refurbished Chorlton Street in Manchester (OK,
it's a coach station) is also rather nice.

Although Piccadilly Bus Station is still a total disaster. A skim of
the draft Local Transport Plan for Greater Manchester seems to suggest
that they are going to re-do it yet again. That''ll be the fourth
incarnation in a decade!

Apologies to all you Londoners - this has drifted about 200 miles OT!