London Banter

-   -   Extended East London Line opens fully today (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10841-extended-east-london-line-opens.html)

Mizter T May 22nd 10 11:38 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

....but you knew that already.`

Well - phase 1a of the ELLX opens tomorrow - that's through running
south of New Cross Gate, all stations to West Croydon and Crystal
Palace. The, er, extension of the extension from Dalston Jn on to
Highbury & Islington comes a bit later... and the further extension
from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction (via Peckham etc) comes later
still.

Good news. It's the physical manifestation of some outlandish plans,
in fact. But I think it'll genuinely serve a purpose, and will quickly
become a routine part of London's transport infrastructure - indeed,
half of it already was, but the annexation of the defunct alignment
into Broad Street (defunct no longer) really means the old ELL route
can realise some of its until now unexploited potential.

Thameslink Mark II it might not be but I suggest that would be to miss
the point - it's a new local link for London, linking localities in
the south east and east of London along with the eastern fringe of the
City, and linking much more through new interchange opportunities, at
Canada Water, at Whitechapel, at New Cross NX Gate (and stations south
thereof), at Dalston (and in a year at High & I), and with local buses
all over the shop.

Kudos to the planners for, well, having the vision to plan it, and
dare I say kudos to the newt king for actually making that vision
happen. It's not a Grand Projet, but is perhaps all the more audacious
for that.

More info (from TfL):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...mes/15360.aspx

Limited-ish number of free tickets available for travel on the ELL
today (Sunday 23 May) - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/15514.aspx

E27002 May 23rd 10 02:14 AM

On May 22, 4:38*pm, Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Thank you for posting. I agree with every word you say. When this
idea was first proposed I questioned why both the NLL and ELL could
not be routed into Liverpool Street. This would have given access to
the city from a number of orbital locations. However, since Liverpool
Street lacks sufficient capacity, this is the next best alternative.

When folks posted the first pictures of the new stations, on Flickr
etc., I thought that they looked cold and utilitarian. But, as the
Overground roundels and other signage has been added the buildings
have taken on the familiar TfL look. Given time I think the stations
will become part of the landscape.

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. I hope in
time we will see further development. I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

Richard Adamfi[_2_] May 23rd 10 06:50 AM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

I got the first Overground train from West Croydon due at 0642. It
actually came at 0649.

The ticket office was closed so I had to use Oyster for the first
trip.

I had planned to change at Surrey Quays so I could go back to Crystal
Palace but I missed the connection due to the delay so I went to
Whitechapel instead. I then picked up a free ticket at Whitechapel
ticket office. It came in an Overground branded wallet with a
commemorative ticket on the right and a regular Zones 1 to 6 Day
Travelcard on the left. So the free ticket isn't just for the East
London Line!

Abigail Brady May 23rd 10 11:12 AM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

As of my visit to West Croydon at 12.12 the info is still claiming
that trains will be departing from platform 1, correcting itself
later...

Paul Scott May 23rd 10 11:34 AM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 May 2010 23:50:57 -0700 (PDT), Richard Adamfi
wrote:

I got the first Overground train from West Croydon due at 0642. It
actually came at 0649.

Well I was at Dalston at about 0635 but that's just how the buses worked
out to get me there before 0656.

The ticket office was closed so I had to use Oyster for the first
trip.

Unfortunately the station did not open until 0707 when a driver came up
from his train to find the staff. The first train therefore had been and
gone. He released the door from the inside. The station staff were
outside with the passengers waiting for a key to turn up. The platform
displays were showing the wrong train on the wrong platform for some
reason. Needless to say there was no opportunity for the staff to hand
out the freebies as they'd only just made it into the station.

All I can say is "not very good". Thankfully there was only a handful
of people around that early in the day at Dalston.

They didn't preview at this sort of time last weekend then? A shame because
one of the major selling points of LO is the staffed stations - perhaps they
could allow a few more individuals their own keys...

... The passenger
info system there got "its knickers in a twist" about what train was
going from what platform but eventually it sorted itself out. It
initially thought the ELLX was going from the bay platform which is
something of a physical impossibility!

AIUI the ELL trains will normally run through P4 to the new reversing
siding, then return through P2, but I don't think there is any physical
reason why P1 couldn't be used if needed?

There was one chap trying to get to Upton Park so I gave him my ELL
timetable leaflet as that has the new tube map in it. He was trying to
fathom where he was going from what is now an out of date London
Connections map. Just goes to show that some journeys have suddenly got
easier and cheaper.

What I noticed, in relation to route finding, is that they have gone much
further than expected with the platform line diagrams. A recent iteration
of the LO signs standard showed an 'orange' route diagram, with text at the
bottom along the lines of 'National Rail - services to XYZ'.

What I noticed at Forest Hill southbound yesterday though was a fairly
complete diagram of the various suburban routes, round to Victoria, to
Sutton and East Croydon. There are pictures available online - they can be
found in the District Dave forum's current thread about LO/SN station
signage...

I'm quite intrigued by this, because it is basically what I was suggesting
was needed in a discussion here a good few months back - I was concerned
that the helpful 'Overground Network Mark 1' style route diagrams would be
lost to new LO policy...

Paul S

Paul Scott May 23rd 10 12:20 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

The ELL did terminate on P4 and then headed for the turnback. Coming
from the west it is not possible to reach platform 1 from what I could
see. I'm not terribly familiar with West Croydon's track layout so I
guess you're saying they could route a ELL train to terminate in P1
rather than sending it through P4 and the turnback?

I'm fairly sure, yes. It definitely makes sense for pax to see predictable
operational procedures, ie LO usually 'straight through' and SN in the bay,
but I think during perturbations we could also see SN using the turnback and
LO in the bay.

I think the central turnback also allows for more than one train length, it
will be interesting to see if ECS moves result in two units arriving in
multiple...

I'm not keen on the approach to timetables in the new ELL leaflet. A
very odd mix of frequency guide for the "core" section, first and last
trains and then "real" timetable but only from Surrey Quays southwards.
If I was commuting from Sydenham to Shoreditch High Street I would find
the leaflet almost impenetrable in terms of knowing the times that the
trains departed and arrived.

If I'm reading that correctly it also seems to wrongly imply a change might
be necessary at Surrey Quays - which would deter some potential passengers?

Paul S

MIG May 23rd 10 05:06 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

On 23 May, 13:04, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:34:48 +0100, "Paul Scott"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I understand preview service started at 0800 on a Sunday. *I expect
lessons will be learnt. *There'll be plenty more as they get more and
more passengers.

... The passenger
info system there got "its knickers in a twist" about what train was
going from what platform but eventually it sorted itself out. It
initially thought the ELLX was going from the bay platform which is
something of a physical impossibility!

AIUI the ELL trains will normally run through P4 to the new reversing
siding, then return through P2, but I don't think there is any physical
reason why P1 couldn't be used if needed?

The ELL did terminate on P4 and then headed for the turnback. Coming
from the west it is not possible to reach platform 1 from what I could
see. I'm not terribly familiar with West Croydon's track layout so I
guess you're saying they could route a ELL train to terminate in P1
rather than sending it through P4 and the turnback?

I was also a bit boggled about the "physical impossibility" comment,
but I infer that you meant that the train was already in the turnback
siding, from which it's then not possible to reach platform 1.
Obviously trains from the east turn round in platform 1 all the time.

What I noticed at Forest Hill southbound yesterday though was a fairly
complete diagram of the various suburban routes, round to Victoria, to
Sutton and East Croydon. There are pictures available online - they can be
found in the District Dave forum's current thread about LO/SN station
signage...

I'm quite intrigued by this, because it is basically what I was suggesting
was needed in a discussion here a good few months back - I was concerned
that the helpful 'Overground Network Mark 1' style route diagrams would be
lost to new LO policy...

I think I have seen those photos. Anything which keeps things clear for
passengers has to be good. *Obviously it is early days but I hope that
once the stations have been refurbished with new signs that there will
be comprehensive signage that reflects the existence of Southern's
services. It would be unacceptable for a new service like the ELL to end
up creating a new segregationist mentality on the rail network. *

We have to hope that South Eastern at New Cross end up recognising the
existence of the ELL service.

Talking of which, I was trying to contrive a reason to use the ELL on
its first full day (still haven't used it), but I couldn't be arsed
when I found that South Eastern isn't serving New Cross today.

And off at a tangent as usual ... The Bexleyheath line had
overcrowding at rush hour levels today because the trains were only
four coaches despite being the first in the bunch of the half-hourly
flighted service of all Lewisham and Dartford services via the Tanners
Hill single track.

I'm not keen on the approach to timetables in the new ELL leaflet. *A
very odd mix of frequency guide for the "core" section, first and last
trains and then "real" timetable but only from Surrey Quays southwards.
If I was commuting from Sydenham to Shoreditch High Street I would find
the leaflet almost impenetrable in terms of knowing the times that the
trains departed and arrived. *I sincerely hope there is a switch to a
full timetable layout for the ELL as happens with all of the other
Overground lines. *It would be horrendous if the ELL leaflet is a
precursor to the approach to be adopted for the NLL when services become
more frequent than every 10 minutes.
--
Paul C- Hide quoted text -

MIG May 23rd 10 05:23 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

On 23 May, 18:12, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2010 10:06:29 -0700 (PDT), MIG

wrote:
On 23 May, 13:04, Paul Corfield wrote:
The ELL did terminate on P4 and then headed for the turnback. Coming
from the west it is not possible to reach platform 1 from what I could
see. I'm not terribly familiar with West Croydon's track layout so I
guess you're saying they could route a ELL train to terminate in P1
rather than sending it through P4 and the turnback?

I was also a bit boggled about the "physical impossibility" comment,
but I infer that you meant that the train was already in the turnback
siding, from which it's then not possible to reach platform 1.

Correct inference.

Obviously trains from the east turn round in platform 1 all the time.

You have to make allowances for us "north of the river people" for whom
the "Southern Region" is still a bit of a mystery.

From that fact that you survived, I assume that you had plenty of
garlic and silver bullets.

Stephen Furley May 23rd 10 07:13 PM

On 23 May, 12:12, Abigail Brady wrote:
As of my visit to West Croydon at 12.12 the info is still claiming
that trains will be departing from platform 1, correcting itself
later...

I was on the same train. I heard the correction that the train would
now depart from platform 3, but did not hear the original
announcement. If they're going to reverse four Overground trains in
platform 3 each hour without getting in the way of Southern trains
running through the station then there are going to have to be some
pretty smart turn-arounds.

I can't remember which carriage I was in, but it wasn't very full when
it left Croydon. A baby in a three-wheeled buggy thing, and a small
boy with a bicycle got on at some point, and the train didn't seem to
have any problem taking either; there's plenty of standing space.

The air-conditioning seemed to be somewhat over-efficient; I prefer
the temperature to be somewhat on the low side, but this felt quite
cold to me. The return journey later in the day was several degrees
warmer. I got out at Dalston, then 38 bus to Victoria to visit
Photographica, 24 bus to Hampstead Heath, Rail replacement bus to
Dalston, then Overground to Crystal Palace. Looking North at Dalston,
the line seems to curve to the West; Is there any provision to be
able to re-build the East curve if needed in the future? It doesn't
look like it.

Paul Scott May 23rd 10 07:17 PM

Stephen Furley wrote:
On 23 May, 12:12, Abigail Brady wrote:
As of my visit to West Croydon at 12.12 the info is still claiming
that trains will be departing from platform 1, correcting itself
later...

I was on the same train. I heard the correction that the train would
now depart from platform 3, but did not hear the original
announcement. If they're going to reverse four Overground trains in
platform 3 each hour without getting in the way of Southern trains
running through the station then there are going to have to be some
pretty smart turn-arounds.

Not so - they'll run through into the turnback siding thoughtfully provided
just beyond the station, as reported in Paul C's post elsewhere in the
thread.

Paul S

Stephen Furley May 23rd 10 07:30 PM

On 23 May, 20:17, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Not so - they'll run through into the turnback siding thoughtfully provided
just beyond the station, as reported in Paul C's post elsewhere in the
thread.

Paul S

I see. I arrived at the station just before the train was due to
leave, so it was already in the platform, and I didn't see where it
had come from. I think this is the first time I have been in West
Croydon station since the Wimbledon branch closed. I never need to go
towards Sutton, and if heading towards London then East Croydon is
quicker.

Stephen Furley May 23rd 10 07:38 PM

On 23 May, 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. *The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. *In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. *I hope in
time we will see further development. *I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

This will make it easier to get onto the DLR from Croydon. Until now
it's been very slow, via Lewisham, on either the 75, or Tramlink to
Elmers end, and then train. The East London still takes quite a time
to get to Shadwell, but at least the journey to most DLR destinations
will be shorter from there than from Lewisham.

Paul Scott May 23rd 10 07:59 PM

Stephen Furley wrote:
On 23 May, 20:17, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Not so - they'll run through into the turnback siding thoughtfully
provided just beyond the station, as reported in Paul C's post
elsewhere in the thread.

I see. I arrived at the station just before the train was due to
leave, so it was already in the platform, and I didn't see where it
had come from. I think this is the first time I have been in West
Croydon station since the Wimbledon branch closed. I never need to go
towards Sutton, and if heading towards London then East Croydon is
quicker.

I should have added that I expect trains can arrive in platform 3 from the
Norwood direction, I believe there have been some additional signals to
allow all sorts of extra moves. But as I was suggesting earlier in response
to Paul C, it makes sense to have a normal plan for when the timetable is
doing ok.

I reckon the trains will have less than 10 mins in the turnback, so once
they are that late they may well arrive into platform 3.

Paul S

Mizter T May 23rd 10 08:43 PM

On May 23, 6:23 pm, MIG wrote:

On 23 May, 18:12, Paul Corfield wrote:
[snip]
You have to make allowances for us "north of the river people" for whom
the "Southern Region" is still a bit of a mystery.

From that fact that you survived, I assume that you had plenty of
garlic and silver bullets.

I took a day off drinking blood today and went for a ride on the ELL -
though I didn't actually venture north of the river this time (had
forgotten my passport).

Anyhow, great stuff - the ELLX proper is finally here! Got a number of
thoughts on it all, both the 'new' bits and the rest, how it all fits
together, and what it all means for Londinium (...er, that last bit
sounds like it has the potential for extreme pretentiousness!).

But it'll have to wait - which will likely come as a relief - as I'm
somewhat frazzled after a long day spent out and about in the sun.
(Oh, the sunlight things a myth, BTW.) And no, it wasn't a long day
coz I spent it all on the ELL - I'm not that obsessed! Indeed, I
actually managed to use the line to get somewhere too, shock
horror... ;-)

Mizter T May 23rd 10 08:56 PM

On May 23, 8:38*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:

On 23 May, 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. *The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. *In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. *I hope in
time we will see further development. *I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

This will make it easier to get onto the DLR from Croydon. *Until now
it's been very slow, via Lewisham, on either the 75, or Tramlink to
Elmers end, and then train. *The East London still takes quite a time
to get to Shadwell, but at least the journey to most DLR destinations
will be shorter from there than from Lewisham.

33 mins or so from West Croydon to Shadwell - depends what you think
of as "quite a time" I s'pose. Of course the eastern end of the DLR is
easily accessible via a very easy interchange off the ELL onto the
Jubilee line at Canada Water (but see below), then a further v. easy
interchange at Canning Town. (The tube/DLR interchange at Canary
Wharf/ Heron Quays isn't quite so seamless.)

Of course that's not a new journey opportunity as such - it was
available under the old ELL (via a change at New Cross Gate) - but the
through service does make it so much easier.

Quick note re the Canada Water - the interchange is easy, but at peak
times the Jubilee line is sardines, so commuters might find the
Shadwell option more realistic (esp. now that Bank to Lewisham DLR
trains are becoming 3-cars long).

Basil Jet[_2_] May 23rd 10 11:48 PM

On 23/05/2010 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners.

The cover of the new map seems to deliberately avoid mentioning the ELL.
Which budget controls the tube map - LUL, London Rail, or some sort of
joint budget?

Batman55 May 24th 10 07:52 AM

"Stephen Furley" wrote in message
On 23 May, 03:14, E27002 wrote:

Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners. I hope in
time we will see further development. I look forward to visiting
London and checking out the new system for myself.

This will make it easier to get onto the DLR from Croydon. Until now
it's been very slow, via Lewisham, on either the 75, or Tramlink to
Elmers end, and then train. The East London still takes quite a time
to get to Shadwell, but at least the journey to most DLR destinations
will be shorter from there than from Lewisham.

==============
What is happening this morning? All CrPal trains seem to be terminating
Surrey Quays. I was planning to try it out today.

MaxB

Paul Terry[_2_] May 24th 10 09:09 AM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

In message , Batman55
writes

What is happening this morning? All CrPal trains seem to be terminating
Surrey Quays. I was planning to try it out today.

Live departure boards are currently (10.08) showing that the service is
running through to Crystal Palace.
--
Paul Terry

Mizter T May 24th 10 09:12 AM

On May 24, 12:48*am, Basil Jet wrote:

On 23/05/2010 03:14, E27002 wrote:
Network Rails local radial routes "belong" to commuters. *The
Underground is the railway of Commuters and Tourists. *In many ways
the Overground system is London's railway for Londoners.

The cover of the new map seems to deliberately avoid mentioning the ELL.
Which budget controls the tube map - LUL, London Rail, or some sort of
joint budget?

I think you're looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one...

Mizter T May 24th 10 09:32 AM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

On May 24, 10:09*am, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Batman55
writes

What is happening this morning? All CrPal trains seem to be terminating
Surrey Quays. I was planning to try it out today.

Live departure boards are currently (10.08) showing that the service is
running through to Crystal Palace.

Nothing showing on LO JourneyCheck at the time of posting (10:30):
http://www.jcheck.com/londonoverground

Wonder how busy it was this morning. Also wonder how many people might
have got stuck at Canada Water waiting for a sliver of space on an
eastbound Jubilee line train during the height of the rush... the
solution being go to Shadwell instead of course (well for those Canary
Wharf bound at least).

(Perhaps a bit of a shame that the riverbus service doesn't stop at a
pier near Rotherhithe or even Wapping stations, though I rather doubt
there'd really be the requisite demand to support it.)

Paul Scott May 24th 10 11:14 AM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

Good news. It's the physical manifestation of some outlandish plans,
in fact. But I think it'll genuinely serve a purpose, and will quickly
become a routine part of London's transport infrastructure - indeed,
half of it already was, but the annexation of the defunct alignment
into Broad Street (defunct no longer) really means the old ELL route
can realise some of its until now unexploited potential.

Not everyone's happy, it seems:

Is this just the fag end of some dispute the RMT were having about whether
it should be tube or rail, from about 5/6 years ago?

Paul S

MIG May 24th 10 11:23 AM

On 24 May, 12:14, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

Good news. It's the physical manifestation of some outlandish plans,
in fact. But I think it'll genuinely serve a purpose, and will quickly
become a routine part of London's transport infrastructure - indeed,
half of it already was, but the annexation of the defunct alignment
into Broad Street (defunct no longer) really means the old ELL route
can realise some of its until now unexploited potential.

Not everyone's happy, it seems:

Is this just the fag end of some dispute the RMT were having about whether
it should be tube or rail, from about 5/6 years ago?

Paul S

There was an RMT campaign, although not a dispute as far as I know,
about the fact that this was the first bit of LU to be privatised and
had ominous implications. Ken claimed that it wasn't privatisation,
and then admitted that it was.

Among the issues were that a lot had been spent by LU on new
facilities that were never going to be used by LU and were a gift to
the private operator.

I think there were also issues around redeployment of staff in the
interim, but again I can't recall there being an actual dispute.

Mizter T May 24th 10 11:50 AM

"Mizter T" wrote:

Good news. It's the physical manifestation of some outlandish plans,
in fact. But I think it'll genuinely serve a purpose, and will quickly
become a routine part of London's transport infrastructure - indeed,
half of it already was, but the annexation of the defunct alignment
into Broad Street (defunct no longer) really means the old ELL route
can realise some of its until now unexploited potential.

Not everyone's happy, it seems:

Is this just the fag end of some dispute the RMT were having about whether
it should be tube or rail, from about 5/6 years ago?

There was an RMT campaign, although not a dispute as far as I know,
about the fact that this was the first bit of LU to be privatised and
had ominous implications. *Ken claimed that it wasn't privatisation,
and then admitted that it was.

I don't recall him "admitting is was". Depends how one defines
"privatisation", but I didn't really regard the changes to the ELL as
being that, not as such at least. But maybe that's just the angle I
was looking at it from. I suppose I can sort of understand the RMT's
concerns that it could represent the thin end of the wedge.

Among the issues were that a lot had been spent by LU on new
facilities that were never going to be used by LU and were a gift to
the private operator.

That's simply nonsensical. The infrastructure is owned by London Rail,
part of TfL - all that's happened in that sense is that it's been
transferred from one bit of TfL to another. LOROL didn't build the new
elements of the line, and nor are they going to maintain it either.
And if TfL did decide to award the operating concession to another
company in the future, then LOROL aren't going to rip out the staff
loos or whatever when they leave, not least because said loos wouldn't
be theirs to take.

I think there were also issues around redeployment of staff in the
interim, but again I can't recall there being an actual dispute.

Surrey Quays, Rotherhithe, Wapping and Shadwell - plus Shoreditch High
Street as a replacement for the old Shoreditch - certainly transferred
from LUL to LOROL management, and of course it's LOROL drivers and
line controllers (or whatever they're called) along with Network Rail
signallers who run the service rather than LUL people.

I don't know if it was a quid-pro-quo as such, but perhaps worth
bearing in mind that management of all the joint DC Line/ Bakerloo
stations (apart from Willesden Jn) went to LUL rather than LOROL.

Batman55 May 24th 10 01:05 PM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

[...]

===============

I have certainly just completed a journey from West Croydon to Dalston and
back to CP without problem. However, the Nat Rail journey planner is still
showing the services as cancelled!

Incidentally, I really don't like travelling in totally back-to-window
trains. Its OKish if you are underground but, like several other people, I
spent my most of my journey twisted round to look out of the window. Its a
bit like travelling in a long corridor with seating for the exhausted at
intervals along the wall!

Also, I only travelled in one unit there and back but the recording for
Next/Shortly arriving/Arrived at Brockley kept saying "...Aukley". On the
return the same happened at New Cross Gate but the Shortly arriving message
sounded almost right and when we got to Brockley, she definitely got it
right. That suggests to me that the lady actually travels on the train and
needed to practise a bit! Has that been others experience - is this a job
creation programme?

Do I assume that Shoreditch High St station will be subsumed into some
skyscraper in due course - it was really disappointing to sit in a concrete
box just at the most interesting viewpoint?

MaxB

Ivor The Engine May 24th 10 01:20 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:13:10 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Furley
wrote:

Looking North at Dalston,
the line seems to curve to the West; Is there any provision to be
able to re-build the East curve if needed in the future? It doesn't
look like it.

I'm pretty sure it's protected. The car park and access road to the
Kingsland Shopping Centre are on the route of the curve.

Hackney council a couple of years back published (ambitious) plans to
create a park above the eastern curve and also allow development above
the western curve.

MIG May 24th 10 01:32 PM

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

There was certainly a lot of unhappiness about the successful and
popular public service operation run by LU being replaced according to
what was very topically at the time seen as a failed franchise model
for NR.

Among the issues were that a lot had been spent by LU on new
facilities that were never going to be used by LU and were a gift to
the private operator.

That's simply nonsensical. The infrastructure is owned by London Rail,
part of TfL - all that's happened in that sense is that it's been
transferred from one bit of TfL to another. LOROL didn't build the new
elements of the line, and nor are they going to maintain it either.
And if TfL did decide to award the operating concession to another
company in the future, then LOROL aren't going to rip out the staff
loos or whatever when they leave, not least because said loos wouldn't
be theirs to take.

I think it was specifically around brand new staff facilities which
were paid for by LU immediately before the line closed and were only
ever going to be used by the private TOCs staff.

Anyway, I'm only reporting things I picked up on at the time.

I think there were also issues around redeployment of staff in the
interim, but again I can't recall there being an actual dispute.

Surrey Quays, Rotherhithe, Wapping and Shadwell - plus Shoreditch High
Street as a replacement for the old Shoreditch - certainly transferred
from LUL to LOROL management, and of course it's LOROL drivers and
line controllers (or whatever they're called) along with Network Rail
signallers who run the service rather than LUL people.

I don't know if it was a quid-pro-quo as such, but perhaps worth
bearing in mind that management of all the joint DC Line/ Bakerloo
stations (apart from Willesden Jn) went to LUL rather than LOROL.- Hide quoted text -

Mizter T May 24th 10 01:32 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

wrote:
Looking North at Dalston,
the line seems to curve to the West; *Is there any provision to be
able to re-build the East curve if needed in the future? *It doesn't
look like it.

I'm pretty sure it's protected. * The car park and access road to the
Kingsland Shopping Centre are on the route of the curve.

Yes, AIUI the route is protected, and as you say nothing has actually
been built on it apart from some tarmac for a car park, plus Dalston
Jn station was built to allow access to the eastern curve, albeit only
for a single track.
You can see the blanking wall from the easternmost platform at DJ.

Mizter T May 24th 10 01:44 PM

On May 24, 2:32*pm, MIG wrote:

On 24 May, 12:50, Mizter T wrote:

On May 24, 12:23*pm, MIG wrote:

[...]

Sure - except the "London Rail Concession" (as it's properly known)
doesn't follow the conventional rail franchising model, it's quite
significantly different.

Among the issues were that a lot had been spent by LU on new
facilities that were never going to be used by LU and were a gift to
the private operator.

That's simply nonsensical. The infrastructure is owned by London Rail,
part of TfL - all that's happened in that sense is that it's been
transferred from one bit of TfL to another. LOROL didn't build the new
elements of the line, and nor are they going to maintain it either.
And if TfL did decide to award the operating concession to another
company in the future, then LOROL aren't going to rip out the staff
loos or whatever when they leave, not least because said loos wouldn't
be theirs to take.

I think it was specifically around brand new staff facilities which
were paid for by LU immediately before the line closed and were only
ever going to be used by the private TOCs staff.

Hmm - I think they'd have been paid for by TfL one way or the other,
if not in LUL days then when the line was being converted. Though I
can understand that staff might have felt a bit miffed that work was
being undertaken but they wouldn't benefit from it. That said, if it
was all part of the ELLX project, then I'd expect it to have come out
of the ELLX budget. So it'd be interesting to know what exactly the
RMT's angle was on this - without knowing more I don't find that
argument terribly convincing.

Anyway, I'm only reporting things I picked up on at the time.

Not shooting the messenger, just questioning the message!

Paul Scott May 24th 10 02:39 PM

Batman55 wrote:

I have certainly just completed a journey from West Croydon to
Dalston and back to CP without problem. However, the Nat Rail journey
planner is still showing the services as cancelled!

Just looking at live departures for West Croydon and Crystal Palace, what
seems to have happened is that they have got calls at DALSJN appearing
followed by Dalston Jn [cancelled]. I think that has come up before
somewhere else, and the automatic systems got confused because the same
location appeared twice?

Whatever, it probably just needs a simple data correction to put it right...

Paul S

Dr. Sunil May 24th 10 06:00 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

Some pictures:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=sunil06090 2+"east+london+line"+2010

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tal_Palace.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tal_Palace.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rance_2010.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...t_Brockley.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...st_Croydon.JPG

E27002 May 24th 10 06:06 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

On May 24, 11:00*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
Some pictures:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&searc...."east+lo ndon+line"+2010

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._eastern_entra...
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...t_Brockley.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...st_Croydon.JPG

Thank you so much for posting. I appreciate being able to see the new
service in operation from afar. I note the implication that Brockley
Station is now "owned" by London Overground. That is to say that the
TfL Roundel appears above the Network Rail Logo.

Mizter T May 24th 10 06:40 PM

On May 24, 7:06*pm, E27002 wrote:

On May 24, 11:00*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote: Some pictures:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&searc...."east+lo ndon+line"+2010

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tal_Palace.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tal_Palace.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rance_2010.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...t_Brockley.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...st_Croydon.JPG

Thank you so much for posting. *I appreciate being able to see the new
service in operation from afar. *I note the implication that Brockley
Station is now "owned" by London Overground. *That is to say that the
TfL Roundel appears above the Network Rail Logo.

Don't want to bore anyone too much, but a correction and a
clarification follows...

(a) The double-arrow device is not the Network Rail logo, rather the
'National Rail logo' - that's in inverted commas because "National
Rail" is more of a concept than an actual entity, and it's really the
British Rail logo which has lived on after privatisation - the
copyright owned by the SoS Transport and is freely licensed for use by
the TOCs, and indeed my understanding is that it's also a requirement
at stations that are part of the National Rail network (or some such -
not sure if that's an ORR requirement of all stations, or a
requirement made by the DfT of operators providing franchised services
- and when I think about it I can't recall it appearing anywhere
outside St Pancras station, which is of course owned by LCR, albeit
managed on a day to day basis under contract by Network Rail... oh,
and did I say that LCR is currently wholly owned by central
government... confused? That was my intention!)

(b) Brockley station - and all the other LO managed stations, remain
in Network Rail ownership (though E27002's use of quotation marks
above suggest he knew as much). The tenant is basically TfL London
Rail, and day to day management is done by TfL's chosen operator LOROL
- but I think TfL's London Rail division are rather more involved in
'bigger stuff' like renovation projects etc.

Paul Scott May 24th 10 06:46 PM

Mizter T wrote:

(b) Brockley station - and all the other LO managed stations, remain
in Network Rail ownership (though E27002's use of quotation marks
above suggest he knew as much). The tenant is basically TfL London
Rail, and day to day management is done by TfL's chosen operator LOROL
- but I think TfL's London Rail division are rather more involved in
'bigger stuff' like renovation projects etc.

Everything in their own 'signs standards' suggests that sign is the wrong
way round, doesn't it?

Paul S

E27002 May 24th 10 06:51 PM

On May 24, 11:40*am, Mizter T wrote:
On May 24, 7:06*pm, E27002 wrote:

[...]

Thank you for clarifying this Mizter T. I know that the real estate
at Brockley belonged to Network Rail. My understanding is that
according to convention the body with "operational ownership" had
their logo placed uppermost. And, AFIK (please correct me) the
original East London stretch remains the property (in the real estate
sense) of TfL.

MIG May 24th 10 07:07 PM

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...al_Palace..JPG
[...]

Back in February I posted that standard announcements on Brockley
station were preceded by "Southern Railway on behalf of London
Overground ..."

I assume that it was/is still staffed by Southern, with new rules
imposed at a distance by LO who have no idea about the implications of
totally f*cking idiotic decisions like locking the main exit in the
rush hour.

Mizter T May 24th 10 07:15 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

On May 24, 7:46*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
(b) Brockley station - and all the other LO managed stations, remain
in Network Rail ownership (though E27002's use of quotation marks
above suggest he knew as much). The tenant is basically TfL London
Rail, and day to day management is done by TfL's chosen operator LOROL
- but I think TfL's London Rail division are rather more involved in
'bigger stuff' like renovation projects etc.

Everything in their own 'signs standards' suggests that sign is the wrong
way round, doesn't it?

Not sure about that actually - if memory serves me right, most of the
signs on the NLL are that way around, with the roundel at the top...
let me see... yes, roundel at the top, NR symbol below - examples:

Canonbury
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/2441197183/
Dalston Kingsland
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55935853@N00/2428413915/
West Hampstead
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55935853@N00/3015550574/

This is what the TfL design standard for LO signs says (on page 21):

---quote---
Where an Overground station interchanges with the rest of the National
Rail network and that property is owned by National Rail, it is the
National Rail logo that is displayed before the Overground roundel.
---/quote---

I think this is 'interchange' in terms of how it's done on the Tube
map - i.e. a new interchange opportunity, rather than two services
running along the same route for some distance. Under that reading
there wouldn't be that many places where this would apply - West
Croydon, Harrow & Wealdstone, Shepherd's Bush perhaps - though w.r.t.
the latter whoever designed/authorised this seems to think not:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/3958791927/

Open to interpretation I suppose.

BTW, couldn't find Flickr photos of any H&W signage - did find this of
West Croydon which I believe was taken by a certain PC of this parish,
looks as though the signage revolution / LO signage police haven't got
there yet.

Mizter T May 24th 10 07:30 PM

On May 24, 7:06*pm, E27002 wrote:

[...]

No, you assume wrong - Brockley and all the other stations south of NX
Gate that the ELL calls at, including Crystal Palace and West Croydon,
are managed by LO and have been since 20 September 2009 - this was the
date that the new south central franchise began, and so I was
considered an opportune date to transfer these stations across to LO.
(Of course the south central franchise holder didn't change but
remained Govia's Southern.) The legal lettering on the ticket machines
changed at this time, but outwardly little else did - the staff got
new LO uniforms more recently. (I assume the announcements you heard
were long-line ones made by Southern's control centre as part of an
interim arrangement - presumably such announcements will now be made
from the new LO ELL control centre at NX Gate.)

Also, a week or so ago I dug up various bits and pieces on the web
about the situation at Brockley - seems TfL are aware of it, not least
because of the complaints that have come their way. There was also
talk of plans for a rebuild at Brockley so as to accommodate the
expected growth in passenger numbers that the ELL is expected to
generate.

Paul Scott May 24th 10 07:31 PM

Extended East London Line opens fully today

Mizter T wrote:
On May 24, 7:46 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

I've just thought of something else - which might add to the confusion.

The design standards refer to 'owned by National Rail' - if we read that as
'owned by a National Rail TOC', where 'owned by' is short for 'station
facility operator is' it makes sense. The station in this case is 'owned by
LO' even though the freeholder is Network Rail. IYSWIM...

Paul S

Paul Scott May 24th 10 07:35 PM

MIG wrote:

Back in February I posted that standard announcements on Brockley
station were preceded by "Southern Railway on behalf of London
Overground ..."

I assume that it was/is still staffed by Southern, with new rules
imposed at a distance by LO who have no idea about the implications of
totally f*cking idiotic decisions like locking the main exit in the
rush hour.

No, I think the staff were 'TUPE'd over last September, (or it might have
been at the SN franchise change date), but the automatic and 'human' PA
announcements are still run by SN, from their existing control centre. Given
the auto announcments are fully integrated with the signalling system, you'd
expect that to take a bit of altering...

Paul S

MIG May 24th 10 07:44 PM

On May 24, 7:06*pm, E27002 wrote:

[...]

I knew that bit, but I guessed that maybe they had subcontracted the
work to Southern, at least till LO services were running. No doubt
it's the same actual people in any case.

The response on the ground to all the complaints seemed to be on the
lines of "we're not permitted to open the gate; you can complain to
these people" offer LO complaint forms. No sense of being part of a
team, more like a distant imposition.

Anyway, it's not a great advert for the improved ambience that LO was
supposed to bring to desolate NLL and Southern stations.

(Of course the south central franchise holder didn't change but
remained Govia's Southern.) The legal lettering on the ticket machines
changed at this time, but outwardly little else did - the staff got
new LO uniforms more recently. (I assume the announcements you heard
were long-line ones made by Southern's control centre as part of an
interim arrangement - presumably such announcements will now be made
from the new LO ELL control centre at NX Gate.)

Also, a week or so ago I dug up various bits and pieces on the web
about the situation at Brockley - seems TfL are aware of it, not least
because of the complaints that have come their way. There was also
talk of plans for a rebuild at Brockley so as to accommodate the
expected growth in passenger numbers that the ELL is expected to
generate.

There has been quite significant building work recently, with some new
landscaping and so on. Strange they'd do that only to have to it over
again.