Old May 28th 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whither the new Piccadilly Line trains?

I know Tube Lines were supposed to be close to ordering new trains to
replace the 1973 stock, but I wonder what the status is now. With Tube
Lines being absorbed by TfL, and a government freeze on any new mainline
train orders, would it be fair to assume that this replacement Tube
fleet won't be ordered for some years?

If so, what will need to be done to keep the 1973 stock in good working
order? Personally, I like the existing trains (yes, I agree with
Boltar), and wouldn't be unhappy seeing them soldier on for another ten
years, but don't know if there are any developing
mechanical/electrical/safety problems that could prevent this. And would
they need another refurbishment or heavy overhaul programme?

There's a big gap in age between this fleet and the next oldest (once
the A, C, D and 1967 stocks retire over the next few years) --
amazingly, with the demise of the short-lived 1983 stock, the
extended-life 1973 trains will be almost 20 years older than the next
oldest LU fleet on the Central Line.

There is a large number of trains from the mid 1990s, and another even
larger batch will arrive in the early Teens. LU does seem to take
delivery of trains in a very uneven way.

Old May 28th 10, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 28, 12:34*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
[...]

LU investment has happened in a very uneven way. Not too sure we've
seen the end of that pattern...
Old May 28th 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
[...]

There will still be the 1972 stock on the Bakerloo, which is not
scheduled to be replaced until after the Piccadilly.

Peter Smyth

Old May 28th 10, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/05/2010 21:23, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2010 12:34:10 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:

I know Tube Lines were supposed to be close to ordering new trains to
replace the 1973 stock, but I wonder what the status is now. With Tube
Lines being absorbed by TfL, and a government freeze on any new mainline
train orders, would it be fair to assume that this replacement Tube
fleet won't be ordered for some years?

If so, what will need to be done to keep the 1973 stock in good working
order?

Some of this was touched on at high level by Mike Brown (LUL MD) when he
appeared in front of the GLA Transport Committee this week. There is a
webcast of the session on the GLA part of the London Mayor website.

The Picc Line Upgrade will be reviewed by LUL once the Tube Lines Share
Purchase deal goes through. This is largely because of the dependency
between the Jub, Northern and Picc upgrades in terms of signalling
contractor and thus a delay on one impacts the following ones. Mr Brown
did not, IIRC, specifically mention a time for the Picc Line trains but
it may well be that trains are ordered but run ahead of the signalling
works.

The other point Mr Brown made was that Tube Lines had done a good job in
maintaining the train fleets and that the Picc Line reliability was very
good and therefore the trains could probably keep running perfectly well
for a number of years. He did say the signalling was the key issue and
also that integration of the Picc and Sub Surface resignalling might
bring about synergies.

The key message is simply that we all have to wait and see what happens.

Where are the 67s going, the Island Line?
Old May 28th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Where are the 67s going, the Island Line?

Island line is assumed to be getting 73s, as indicated by SWT comment in
their recent web chat.

Paul S

Old May 28th 10, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
" writes

Where are the 67s going, the Island Line?

Scrap yard mostly it seems.
Old May 29th 10, 01:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/05/2010 21:59, Paul Scott wrote:
wrote in message

Where are the 67s going, the Island Line?

Island line is assumed to be getting 73s, as indicated by SWT comment in
their recent web chat.

Paul S

If the 73s are not due to be replaced for a while, however, then are the
38s going to continue in service?
Old May 29th 10, 02:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/05/2010 22:56, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2010 21:59:48 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

wrote in message

Where are the 67s going, the Island Line?

Island line is assumed to be getting 73s, as indicated by SWT comment in
their recent web chat.

Interesting - I hadn't heard that particular story. Will they fit given
the cars are a bit longer?

I had thought that it was to be the 67s as the 09s came into service.

It seems as though the 67s have a different control set up then other
LUL rolling stock. Whereas the deadman lever is normally in the
controller, it is separate from the controller on the 67s.

They have a similar set up in Berlin.

IIRC, the problem with the 67s is that their speeds are restricted to 25
miles when in manual. Speeds on the Island Line can reach 45 miles.

Old May 29th 10, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote in message
[...]

Good point, I'd forgotten about them. But they're actually newer than
the 1973 stock, aren't they?

Old May 29th 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
wrote in message

Where are the 67s going, the Island Line?

Island line is assumed to be getting 73s, as indicated by SWT comment in
their recent web chat.

Wow! Class 67 and Mark 3 coaches, or Class 73 and 3-CIGs?

;-)

(That's a "smiley" which suggests I was not entirely serious.)