Old May 16th 04, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly line extension to Terminal 5/Heathrow Express extension to T5

Do we know when construction work is due to start on the Piccadilly
extension to Terminal 5 as I understand that tunneling work was due to
be finished by next year. I also understand that Terminal 4 would be
temporaily closed during the construction period.

Likwise does any news exist on the Heathrow Express extension.

Martin

Old May 17th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Martin
Whelton writes
Do we know when construction work is due to start on the Piccadilly
extension to Terminal 5 as I understand that tunneling work was due to
be finished by next year. I also understand that Terminal 4 would be
temporaily closed during the construction period.

Tunnelling is well under way and I believe the station box is all but
finished.

Plans are advanced for the closure of the T4 loop to allow the T5
extension to be connected. I think the latest plan is around December.
I'll try and confirm today at work, but I think we're looking at about a
two year closure.
Old May 17th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote in message ...
In message , Martin
Whelton writes
Do we know when construction work is due to start on the Piccadilly
extension to Terminal 5 as I understand that tunneling work was due to
be finished by next year. I also understand that Terminal 4 would be
temporaily closed during the construction period.

Tunnelling is well under way and I believe the station box is all but
finished.

Will the station be in the JLE style with platform doors or will it be
like T123 & Hatton Cross?

B2003

Old May 17th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Boltar
writes

Will the station be in the JLE style with platform doors or will it be
like T123 & Hatton Cross?

Absolutely no idea, we've not been given that detail.

Old May 17th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote in message ...

In message , Martin
Whelton writes

Do we know when construction work is due to start on the Piccadilly
extension to Terminal 5 as I understand that tunneling work was due to
be finished by next year. I also understand that Terminal 4 would be
temporaily closed during the construction period.

Tunnelling is well under way and I believe the station box is all but
finished.

Will the station be in the JLE style with platform doors or will it be
like T123 & Hatton Cross?

B2003

I doubt there will be PEDs as Jubilee drivers had to receive special
training for theirs - there's not much point having to train all
Piccadilly drivers to do this for just one station. There may be some
technical issues too but I'm not sure about those.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 19th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Boltar
writes

Will the station be in the JLE style with platform doors or will it be
like T123 & Hatton Cross?

Absolutely no idea, we've not been given that detail.

Has there been a consensus regarding how it will be rendered on the map yet?

If one loop goes HX-T4-T123-HX and the other goes HX-T123-T5-HX, then the
diagram will need to resemble a pair of testicles at the end of the line,
no?

BTN

Old May 19th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Boltar
writes

Will the station be in the JLE style with platform doors or will it be
like T123 & Hatton Cross?

Absolutely no idea, we've not been given that detail.

Has there been a consensus regarding how it will be rendered on the map

yet?

If one loop goes HX-T4-T123-HX and the other goes HX-T123-T5-HX, then the
diagram will need to resemble a pair of testicles at the end of the line,
no?

T5 will not be on a loop. Some trains will go HX-T4-T123-HX as now and the
others will go HX-T123-T5(reverse)-T123-HX

Peter Smyth

Old May 19th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Once upon a time -- around about 5/19/04 08:42 --
possibly wrote:

diagram will need to resemble a pair of testicles at the end of the line,
no?

I will thank you not to do that again. I laughed so hard I got water all
over my keyboard. I'm very cross with you right now.

-- E

--
Frodo Baggins' New Year's Resolution "To ditch the bloody ring. And get
laid." (A London Times article by James Morgan 12-31-02)

Old May 20th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

If one loop goes HX-T4-T123-HX and the other goes HX-T123-T5-HX, then

the
diagram will need to resemble a pair of testicles at the end of the

line,
no?

T5 will not be on a loop. Some trains will go HX-T4-T123-HX as now and the
others will go HX-T123-T5(reverse)-T123-HX

So how will that work with the two platforms at T123? Will one be used
exclusively for London-bound trains that have gone round the loop, and the
other for bi-directional trains on a single track extension to T5?

Or will it be one platform be for T5 only, and the other for both sets of
London-bound trains? (which would make more sense to the traveller, but be
logistically more difficult to implement, and result in a bizarre station
where twice as many trains went in one direction as t'other.)

BTN