Old May 30th 10, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

Default Bank WL&C / Central Line Ticket Hall

I saw a rather odd board up at Bank station the other day on my way through;

It read something along the lines of;
The stairs *&* trav-o-lators will be exit only between 07:00 - 10:00.

This was a hand written message on a white board, no station posters or
anything where spied.

I've found the following vauge description on the TfL engineering list, but
it only talks about the central line ticket hall.

"Major escalator refurbishment work is taking place. Please avoid changing
trains at Bank where possible.Between 0700 and 1000 on weekdays the Central
line ticket hall will operate as 'exit only'. Please follow the signage
within the station for an alternative route to the Central line platforms.
To change between the District and Circle lines and the Central or Northern
or Waterloo & City lines, exit Monument station and follow the signs above
ground via King William Street. If you are using and Oyster card, please
touch in and out as usual. You will not be charged twice."

Do they actually mean there will be no WL&C line service *to* WAT in the
mornings or has someone dug a new access to the platforms over the weekend?

What sort of fun should I expect on Tuesday or Wednesday when I'm next there
before 10:00.

TIA.

Old May 30th 10, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 30 May, 20:47, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
[...]

It's Bank.

Everything that's been done at Bank for the last few years has been
completely insane, based on safety rules which, if they had general
application, would require shutting down the whole LU network.

The reason is probably on the lines of "in order to prevent a
dangerous situation, we are deliberately going to create an even more
dangerous situation in the hope that people will notice how bad it is
and then no one will go there any more and it will be safe".
Old May 30th 10, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ..@.. (Q) wrote:

To change between the District and Circle lines and the Central or
Northern or Waterloo & City lines, exit Monument station and follow
the signs above ground via King William Street. If you are using
and Oyster card, please touch in and out as usual. You will not be
charged twice."

If, however, you are on a National Rail outside London to Zone 1 (or other
zones) ticket you won't be let back into the station. BTDTGTTS.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 31st 10, 06:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 30 May, 23:09, wrote:
In article ,

(Paul Corfield) wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2010 15:38:09 -0500,
wrote:

In article , ..@.. (Q) wrote:

To change between the District and Circle lines and the Central or
Northern or Waterloo & City lines, exit Monument station and follow
the signs above ground via King William Street. If you are using
and Oyster card, please touch in and out as usual. You will not be
charged twice."

If, however, you are on a National Rail outside London to Zone 1 (or
other zones) ticket you won't be let back into the station. BTDTGTTS.

Bank and Monument are now a permanent OSI so I would expect a magnetic
ticket to work properly now.

I'm sceptical. Victoria didn't work the other day, between Victoria and
District lines via the gate lines.

The tickets I mentioned seem to expect you to make just one tube journey.
Perhaps you can prove me wrong?

Is Victoria an OSI?

There's no need to go via the gateline. I've got a feeling that one
is positively discouraged from doing so, and it would be recorded as
exiting the system.

Old May 31st 10, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 31 May, 08:17, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On 30 May, 23:09, wrote:
wrote:

In article , ..@..
(Q) wrote:

[...]

Ordinarily true, maybe, but the internal escalators were closed. We were
told an OSI was in place, to touch out and in again and we wouldn't be
over-charged.

They'd probably done an emergency reprogramming for Oyster and forgot
about magnetic tickets.
Old May 31st 10, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Mon, 31 May 2010
14:33:29 in uk.transport.london, Q writes

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:09:48 -0500,
wrote:

I don't need to. As MIG has said Victoria is not set as an OSI. We were
talking about Bank and Monument and my response was solely in that
context. Changing the example does not prove me wrong and make you
correct.

So is anyone any the wiser as to what's actually going on at Bank then with
the closures ?

I hope I am. I have been listening to announcements at Bank over several
days and got clarification at one point from a CSA escorting a VIP
(Visually Impaired Person). I've just spoken to James at the LU CSC on
0845 330 9880, open eight til eight, seven days a week. I've also read
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/track.aspx?offset=1
I quote:
"Between 0700 and 1000 on weekdays the Central line ticket hall will
operate as 'exit only'."
"To change between the District and Circle lines and the Central or
Northern or Waterloo & City lines, exit Monument station and follow the
signs above ground via King William Street."

The site doesn't say that the Northern Line Ticket Hall will continue to
be two way. Access via King William Street implies that most of the
bullring will be available. James confirmed that access from the street
will be available and mentioned no restrictions. I imagine the bullring
will be its usual unpleasant self for inbound customers. I look forward
to LU trying to make it one way. It would follow the success of their
experience of restricting access to the Northern Line at Kings Cross.
(It now takes 5+ minutes between Piccadilly and Northern lines, rather
than less than 30 seconds.)

The travelators between the bullring and the W&C are normally exit only
07.00-10.00, M-F. You will have to walk down an unpleasant stairway with
short risers and long treads.

Should all else fail, there is the 76 bus (I think the Journey Planner
is pessimistic at 27 minutes), the Jubilee line crush at London Bridge
or you could walk it leisurely in 33 minutes.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old May 31st 10, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
In message of Mon, 31 May 2010

The travelators between the bullring and the W&C are normally exit only
07.00-10.00, M-F. You will have to walk down an unpleasant stairway with
short risers and long treads.

But the sign I saw said *both* the stairs *&* travolators would be *exit
only*

Which implies no one can get onto a WL&C platform that route - and if the
central line booking hall is closed is that a diversion down, via the
central line platform and then along the tunnel ? back out to the WL&C?