Old June 2nd 10, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default North London Line - Caledonian Road to Canonbury

On 1 June, 20:28, Paul Corfield wrote:

Photos are still loading up but most of them are there at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24759744@N02/

Paul Corfield

You beat me to it! I was waiting for better weather - did your camera
get wet? LOL

Still very nice images indeed. I took some this morning, still
uploading them to Wikimedia Commons. Here are my shots of Canonbury
(feed will be updated with Highbury and Caledonian Road some time
today!):

http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSe...xt=Sunil060902

Old June 2nd 10, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2 June, 06:22, Neil Williams wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 21:39:05 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov

wrote:
One final point, why do they still have "Temporary Sign" all over

EVERY
sign? What's the point? Why have they done this?

Not DDA compliant? As someone with no sight issues (other than a need
for glasses) I find those black on orange ones hard to read, assuming
they are that type.

Failing that maybe a planning permission issue - but isn't the
railway usually exempt?

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

The signs have been up for the best part of two years!
Old June 2nd 10, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jun 2, 6:56*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 1 June, 20:28, Paul Corfield wrote:

Photos are still loading up but most of them are there at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24759744@N02/

Paul Corfield

You beat me to it! I was waiting for better weather - did your camera
get wet? LOL

Still very nice images indeed. I took some this morning, still
uploading them to Wikimedia Commons. Here are my shots of Canonbury
(feed will be updated with Highbury and Caledonian Road some time
today!):

http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSe...ifam=commons.w....

Thank you for the link to your pictures Dr. They help give a feel for
the changes. When I first travelled on the NLL in the 1960s I never
thought to live to see this sort of renewal. Canonbury is especially
striking.

West Croydon Station does not appear to have an Overground Roundel
outside.
Old June 2nd 10, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 2 June, 17:06, E27002 wrote:
On Jun 2, 6:56*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

[...]

You're welcome! I will try and get the H & I and Caledonian pictures
up this evening. I guess Paul's cloudy day pictures might be better
due to lack of shadows/glare but it was such a nice day today!

Actually W Croydon does have a roundel around the side entrance,
fronting the Sutton platform:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...nc e_2010.JPG
Old June 2nd 10, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 2 June, 17:06, E27002 wrote:
On Jun 2, 6:56*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

[...]

outside.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks indeed to all for the picture links. I must admit this
"reopening" was way off my radar for some reason. I hadn't really
realised just what work was going on and the Caledonian Road and
Highbury shots took me a bit by surprise. Shame that only 3 cars are
still in use, I guess despite - or probably because of this work, the
crush loadings I have seen at West Hampstead will be back !

Might have to have a ride tomorrow . . . .

Richard

Old June 2nd 10, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Shame that only 3 cars are
still in use, I guess despite - or probably because of this work, the
crush loadings I have seen at West Hampstead will be back !

I believe the plan will be for 4 cars to be in operation (with more
regular trains) from Spring next year, so there is at least an end in
sight. I used to regularly use the NLL from Hackney Central to Highbury
in the morning (and the return trip in the evening) and it was no picnic.
At least the new cars have more space (even if less seats etc) - though
apparently once the 4 car operation starts next year, there'll still be
more seats than on an old school 3 car formation, and acres more of
standing room.
Old June 2nd 10, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 2 June, 17:40, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 2 June, 17:06, E27002 wrote:

On Jun 2, 6:56*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

[...]

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...t_Croydon_stn_....

Highbury pics now uploaded - I didn't take a shot of the exit, I
actually spent a full 15 minutes taking the other pics and the next
westbound train arrived just as I was entered the concourse! Has the
exit signage changed at all?

http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSe...xt=Sunil060902
Old June 2nd 10, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 June, 17:42, Paul Corfield wrote:
I have had a trundle up and down the revamped section today. I would
say that Highbury is well worth a look. The extent of change is quite
amazing plus there are lots of 2011/2012 signs not yet covered over!

This was probably the surprise of the day:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index..._June_2010.jpg

But no Surrey Canal??
Old June 2nd 10, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 2 June, 17:40, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

Actually W Croydon does have a roundel around the side entrance,
fronting the Sutton platform:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...t_Croydon_stn_...

But not at the main entrance, I haven't looked? That would be odd,
isn't this side entrance normally closed? It was in use last weekend
to provide quick access to the replacement bus service to Sutton etc.
Old June 2nd 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jun 2, 11:13*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 2 June, 17:40, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

On 2 June, 17:06, E27002 wrote:

On Jun 2, 6:56*am, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

[...]

Thanks again Dr. I notice the presence of a fourth rail, sans
conductors, on the ELL tracks.