Old June 6th 10, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Network Rail Proposes Cancellation Of Electrification Projects

In article
,
(Stephen Furley) wrote:

On 5 June, 13:29, Bruce wrote:

The answer would be to make new DMUs that would be easily convertible
in the future to EMUs. *This was done with the Class 165 and 166
"Thames and Chilterns Turbos" which were designed to be converted to
EMUS when the Thames (GW) and Chiltern main lines were electrified as
part of the Crossrail scheme.

It isn't rocket science.

Class 210 would probably have been easier to convert to an EMU, but
was too expensive, and the power plant took up a lot of space.

How about something like the Stadler cars on the NJ Transit River
Line? Electrical tranmission, quiet, clean and good performance for a
Diesel train. I've been very impressed the few times that I've ridden
on them.

They can carry lots of biycles, I think it's three in each half of
each unit, and they're carried hanging vertically, so they take less
space, and don't fall over.

Power plant is located either side of the central gangway between
vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ri...E_interior.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gtw_riverline.JPG

The engine compartment can be seen at the rear of the front car.

I'd like to see more doors, which is probably possible; the River Line
cars are quite short. It's not so important on the River Line, as the
trains are seldom heavily loaded.

I thought the Voyager/Meridian DEMUs were current top candidates for
conversion to EMU or bi-mode use?

--
Colin Rosenstiel