Old May 19th 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Network RUS - electrification strategy - consultation draft

On May 19, 2:07*pm, "David A Stocks" wrote:
"1506" wrote in message

So, why not close Charring Cross and sell its site for redevelopment.
The four North Kent tracks would become a thru route onto the
Southwestern system. *By way of example the Dartford Loop and the
Kingston loop could be linked.

I would go for a scheme where two tracks from the North Kent system run
through to the Southwestern. The remaining two tracks from Kent would
terminate at a 4/5 platform station on a rebuilt Hungerford Bridge, which
would have:
a) entrances on both sides of the river.
b) a *very* convenient interchange with Embankment underground, which would
probably be substantially rebuilt as part of the same scheme.

If (b) could be done properly then Charing Cross underground station could
probably be closed altogether.

Excellent thinking! I really like this approach. North Kent trains
can still reach the north bank, whilst we also have second east-west
crossrail south of the Thames. Nab, all this, sans expensive
tunneling!

Old May 19th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"1506" wrote in message

[...]

Could you explain the impact of your plans on Thameslink KO2? Not
forgetting all Southeastern stopping services (which you want to link to SW
stopping services) go into Cannon St under the proposed changes.

Paul

Old May 19th 09, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"1506" wrote in message

[...]

I wasn't aware of this proposal as part of the Thameslink programme - have
you a source? I have a strong feeling the project will shudder to a halt
after the current works at Farringdon and Blackfriars are completed. The
only substantial outcome will be that FCC will run 12-car trains (a mixture
of class 319/377) in the original service pattern.

Anyway, I'm not sure any explanation is required: a proportion of services
to/from Charing X would be diverted to be to/from Southwestern routes
instead. The extra capacity the Thameslink programme provides through
Borough Market and London Bridge may provide opportunities for more through
running to/from the Sothwestern, but other than that it would be a
stand-alone scheme independent of Thameslink.

D A Stocks

Old May 20th 09, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"David A Stocks" wrote in message

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Could you explain the impact of your plans on Thameslink KO2? Not
forgetting all Southeastern stopping services (which you want to link to
SW stopping services) go into Cannon St under the proposed changes.

I wasn't aware of this proposal as part of the Thameslink programme - have
you a source?

Yes - South London RUS. Usual place.

Paul S

Old May 20th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Could you explain the impact of your plans on Thameslink KO2? Not
forgetting all Southeastern stopping services (which you want to link to
SW stopping services) go into Cannon St under the proposed changes.

I wasn't aware of this proposal as part of the Thameslink programme -
have you a source?

Yes - South London RUS. Usual place.

Paul S

I only see a statement that all services via Greenwich go to Cannon St.
There's still plenty of SE stopping services (including just about
everything via Lewisham) going towards Charing X.

DAS

Old May 25th 09, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"1506" wrote in message

[...]

Given that the Thread topic is RUSs, perhaps a look at the trains/hr
diagrams in the South London RUS and the draft Kent RUS will be interesting
in the light of your thoughts here.

DW down under