London Banter

-   -   Senior Pass acceptance (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10887-senior-pass-acceptance.html)

Roland Perry June 18th 10 12:17 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 02:49:23
on Fri, 18 Jun 2010, remarked:
Meanwhile councils like mine have experienced real financial chaos from
this scheme. Not hysteria but reality.

It'll be OK now that your people are in power, presumably?

I doubt it. The pattern of affected councils is pretty all-party but the
changes were brought in by the last government which, to be fair
eventually realised its mistake.

And this government can't be bothered to fix?

[email protected] June 18th 10 03:48 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
02:49:23 on Fri, 18 Jun 2010,
remarked:
Meanwhile councils like mine have experienced real financial chaos
from this scheme. Not hysteria but reality.

It'll be OK now that your people are in power, presumably?

I doubt it. The pattern of affected councils is pretty all-party but
the changes were brought in by the last government which, to be fair
eventually realised its mistake.

And this government can't be bothered to fix?

They seem to think it's already fixed, I think.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T June 18th 10 05:12 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

On Jun 18, 4:48*pm, wrote:

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
02:49:23 on Fri, 18 Jun 2010, remarked:

Meanwhile councils like mine have experienced real financial chaos
from this scheme. Not hysteria but reality.

It'll be OK now that your people are in power, presumably?

I doubt it. The pattern of affected councils is pretty all-party but
the changes were brought in by the last government which, to be fair
eventually realised its mistake.

And this government can't be bothered to fix?

They seem to think it's already fixed, I think.

To clarify (because there's the danger of discussing at cross-purposes
here!) I think some changes were made to the way the DfT recompenses
councils for free bus travel, which happened in response to concerns
such as those Colin outlined above. I should add I'm no expert on the
matter!

Paul Terry[_2_] June 18th 10 06:33 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message
,
Mizter T writes

To clarify (because there's the danger of discussing at cross-purposes
here!) I think some changes were made to the way the DfT recompenses
councils for free bus travel, which happened in response to concerns
such as those Colin outlined above. I should add I'm no expert on the
matter!

One of these days, someone (other than me) is going to realise that
courier services could be offered much more cheaply by the retired
hopping around on their free travel passes than by man+van who has to
pay for van, petrol, insurance, congestion charge etc.

The only difficulty is organising distribution centres - parish tea
rooms might appeal (I'm not being entirely flippant, by the way).
--
Paul Terry

Graham Harrison[_2_] June 18th 10 07:01 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message
,
Mizter T writes

To clarify (because there's the danger of discussing at cross-purposes
here!) I think some changes were made to the way the DfT recompenses
councils for free bus travel, which happened in response to concerns
such as those Colin outlined above. I should add I'm no expert on the
matter!

One of these days, someone (other than me) is going to realise that
courier services could be offered much more cheaply by the retired hopping
around on their free travel passes than by man+van who has to pay for van,
petrol, insurance, congestion charge etc.

The only difficulty is organising distribution centres - parish tea rooms
might appeal (I'm not being entirely flippant, by the way).
--
Paul Terry

At least one travel company in my part of the world advertised for someone
to deliver tickets up to London and while I can't remember the exact wording
and I suspect they had to be careful about age discrimination it was pretty
clear they were looking for somebody with some from of rail pass and I got
the distinct impression they were looking for a senior pass holder.

Paul Cummins[_2_] June 18th 10 07:54 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Paul
Terry) wrote:

One of these days, someone (other than me) is going to realise that
courier services could be offered much more cheaply by the retired
hopping around on their free travel passes than by man+van who has
to pay for van, petrol, insurance, congestion charge etc.

I figured this in the mid 90's, but couldn't get a company to take me on without a
vehicle.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Tom Anderson June 18th 10 08:38 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Paul Terry wrote:

In message
, Mizter T
writes

To clarify (because there's the danger of discussing at cross-purposes
here!) I think some changes were made to the way the DfT recompenses
councils for free bus travel, which happened in response to concerns
such as those Colin outlined above. I should add I'm no expert on the
matter!

One of these days, someone (other than me) is going to realise that
courier services could be offered much more cheaply by the retired
hopping around on their free travel passes than by man+van who has to
pay for van, petrol, insurance, congestion charge etc.

The only difficulty is organising distribution centres - parish tea
rooms might appeal (I'm not being entirely flippant, by the way).

I know a guy who's old enough to have his freedom pass, but still works,
as a consultant. He travels around on his pass, and so doesn't have to
bill for travel. It's probably not a big saving for his clients, given how
much he charges!

tom

--
When I see a man on a bicycle I have hope for the human race. --
H. G. Wells

Michael R N Dolbear June 19th 10 12:37 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

Graham Harrison wrote

"Paul Terry" wrote

One of these days, someone (other than me) is going to realise that

courier services could be offered much more cheaply by the retired

hopping
around on their free travel passes than by man+van who has to pay

for van,
petrol, insurance, congestion charge etc.

At least one travel company in my part of the world advertised for

someone
to deliver tickets up to London and while I can't remember the exact

wording
and I suspect they had to be careful about age discrimination it was

pretty
clear they were looking for somebody with some from of rail pass and

I got
the distinct impression they were looking for a senior pass holder.

Which is only 1/3 off.

A rail pensioner with a privilege ticket would be a better selection or
(within the zones) a Freedom pass holder.

I recall a character in a Dick Francis Novel (Driving Force) who IIRC,
was paid rail fare as expenses then hitch-hiked.

--
Mike D

Roland Perry June 19th 10 09:45 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 10:48:26
on Fri, 18 Jun 2010, remarked:
Meanwhile councils like mine have experienced real financial chaos
from this scheme. Not hysteria but reality.

It'll be OK now that your people are in power, presumably?

I doubt it. The pattern of affected councils is pretty all-party but
the changes were brought in by the last government which, to be fair
eventually realised its mistake.

And this government can't be bothered to fix?

They seem to think it's already fixed, I think.

So we won't hear any more whinging from Cambridge City about the
unfairness of it all. Good.

[email protected] June 19th 10 06:00 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
10:48:26 on Fri, 18 Jun 2010,
remarked:
Meanwhile councils like mine have experienced real financial
chaos from this scheme. Not hysteria but reality.

It'll be OK now that your people are in power, presumably?

I doubt it. The pattern of affected councils is pretty all-party but
the changes were brought in by the last government which, to be fair
eventually realised its mistake.

And this government can't be bothered to fix?

They seem to think it's already fixed, I think.

So we won't hear any more whinging from Cambridge City about the
unfairness of it all. Good.

Depends where you read. In the right places you would have heard much the
same refrain from quite a list of councils.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry June 19th 10 07:13 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 13:00:38
on Sat, 19 Jun 2010, remarked:
And this government can't be bothered to fix?

They seem to think it's already fixed, I think.

So we won't hear any more whinging from Cambridge City about the
unfairness of it all. Good.

Depends where you read. In the right places you would have heard much the
same refrain from quite a list of councils.

What refrain is that - applauding that the system has been made more
fair (which is what you appeared to be claiming).

[email protected] June 20th 10 10:26 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
13:00:38 on Sat, 19 Jun 2010,
remarked:
And this government can't be bothered to fix?

They seem to think it's already fixed, I think.

So we won't hear any more whinging from Cambridge City about the
unfairness of it all. Good.

Depends where you read. In the right places you would have heard much
the same refrain from quite a list of councils.

What refrain is that - applauding that the system has been made
more fair (which is what you appeared to be claiming).

Both. The fact that their finances were being destabilised and when the
last Government acted to fix that, the London councils claiming fire
consequences for the whole London Freedom Pass scheme.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John @ home July 3rd 10 01:28 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

The House of Commons Library published a paper last month describing
bus concessionary fare schemes in the UK.
http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap...snbt-01499.pdf

Yesterday, they published another paper describing a proposal in 2002
to limit bus concessions for older and disabled people to a half fare.
I wonder why?
http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap...snbt-02009.pdf

Martin Knight July 3rd 10 05:05 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

"John @ home" wrote in message
The House of Commons Library published a paper last month describing
bus concessionary fare schemes in the UK.
http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap...snbt-01499.pdf

Yesterday, they published another paper describing a proposal in 2002
to limit bus concessions for older and disabled people to a half fare.
I wonder why?
http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap...snbt-02009.pdf

Could that be in response to an MP's question ?

The Hansard for the last session of PMQT or Transport questions if there
is one may answer that one.

Which isn't to say it wasn't a planted question.

Martin

Paul Terry[_2_] July 3rd 10 06:44 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message
,
"John @ home" writes

http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap...ch/briefings/s
nbt-01499.pdf

Yesterday, they published another paper describing a proposal in 2002
to limit bus concessions for older and disabled people to a half fare.
I wonder why?
http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap...ch/briefings/s
nbt-02009.pdf

The coalition government wants to review the financing of the scheme,
while at the same time being committed to free travel for the people
concerned.

AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the costs
don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in particular,
those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist destinations end up
paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.
--
Paul Terry

[email protected] July 3rd 10 11:29 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message
,
"John @ home" writes

http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap.../briefings/snb
t-01499.pdf

Yesterday, they published another paper describing a proposal in 2002
to limit bus concessions for older and disabled people to a half fare.
I wonder why?

http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap.../briefings/snb

t-02009.pdf

The coalition government wants to review the financing of the
scheme, while at the same time being committed to free travel for
the people concerned.

AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the
costs don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in
particular, those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist
destinations end up paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.

It appears that the funding will shift from District to County councils in
2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs a grant formula
which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry July 4th 10 12:10 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 19:44:28 on Sat, 3
Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the costs
don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in particular,
those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist destinations end up
paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.

They are allegedly "not compensated enough" for those out-of-area
visitors. It doesn't seem very difficult to tweak the formulae a little
to take account of this[1], so the bad guys here are those who don't
want to do that.

[1] Assuming that policy objectives are indeed for it to be completely
neutral irrespective of the journeys being made.

Roland Perry July 4th 10 12:11 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 18:29:46
on Sat, 3 Jul 2010, remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County councils in
2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs a grant formula
which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

tim.... July 4th 10 01:12 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:44:28 on Sat, 3
Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the costs
don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in particular,
those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist destinations end up
paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.

They are allegedly "not compensated enough" for those out-of-area
visitors. It doesn't seem very difficult to tweak the formulae a little to
take account of this[1], so the bad guys here are those who don't want to
do that.

I can't remember where it is but there is at least one council who quite
happily admits to making a profit on the current deal

tim

[email protected] July 4th 10 03:20 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
18:29:46 on Sat, 3 Jul 2010,
remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County councils
in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs a grant
formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives? Not
over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] July 4th 10 03:20 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:44:28 on
Sat, 3 Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the
costs don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in
particular, those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist
destinations end up paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.

They are allegedly "not compensated enough" for those out-of-area
visitors. It doesn't seem very difficult to tweak the formulae a
little to take account of this[1], so the bad guys here are those
who don't want to do that.

I can't remember where it is but there is at least one council who
quite happily admits to making a profit on the current deal

Almost any council with few bus services. A local example is Fenland.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim.... July 4th 10 08:14 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

wrote in message
In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:44:28 on
Sat, 3 Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
AIUI, from comments in u.t.l. by Colin Rosentheil and others, the
costs don't fall equitably on local authorities at present - in
particular, those that are popular holiday resorts or tourist
destinations end up paying for a lot of "out of area" visitors.

They are allegedly "not compensated enough" for those out-of-area
visitors. It doesn't seem very difficult to tweak the formulae a
little to take account of this[1], so the bad guys here are those
who don't want to do that.

I can't remember where it is but there is at least one council who
quite happily admits to making a profit on the current deal

Almost any council with few bus services. A local example is Fenland.

I would have thought that was taking into account when working out the
grant.

It's the number of "non local" users that makes it go wrong.

tim

[email protected] July 4th 10 09:23 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(tim....) wrote:

[...]

Mainly but not exclusively. Chesterfield has been utterly clobbered
because it's the bus hub for its locality so loads of people from
neighbouring districts change buses there and Chesterfield has to pay for
their onward journeys.

Fenland pays little because it has few bus services to carry its
pensioners while Cambridge's bill is higher because there are far more
buses here. However, South Cambs has to pay half the inwards park and ride
journeys because some of the car parks are outside the City and in their
district. The City has to pay all the return trips of course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Michael R N Dolbear July 4th 10 10:13 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

wrote

(Roland Perry) wrote:

18:29 on Sat, 3 Jul 2010,
remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County

councils
in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs a grant

formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives?

Not
over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

Since most journeys are return, the outward journey will be charged to
a district outside Cambridge and an equal amount for the return leg
charged to Cambridge.

Same for Peterborough I would have thought.

--
Mike D

Roland Perry July 5th 10 08:58 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 10:20:12
on Sun, 4 Jul 2010, remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County councils
in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs a grant
formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives? Not
over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

Peterborough is bigger, so maybe there are even more people travelling
in to do their shopping. On the other hand maybe Peterborough county
includes most of its suburbs, in a way that Cambridge doesn't. Your
problem is presumably having so much residential so close, that's
actually in Scambs.

[email protected] July 5th 10 09:43 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article 01cb1bbb$4b96cf00$LocalHost@default, (Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

wrote

(Roland Perry) wrote:

18:29 on Sat, 3 Jul 2010,
remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County
councils in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still
needs a grant

formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives?
Not over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

Since most journeys are return, the outward journey will be charged to
a district outside Cambridge and an equal amount for the return leg
charged to Cambridge.

Same for Peterborough I would have thought.

Only where boundaries are crossed, I agree. But that wasn't my question
anyway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] July 5th 10 10:46 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
10:20:12 on Sun, 4 Jul 2010,
remarked:
It appears that the funding will shift from District to County
councils in 2011. That will smooth things out a bit but still needs
a grant formula which relates more closely to actual expenditure.

It's not going to help somewhere like Peterborough[1], which would
presumably have the same problem as Cambridge does now.

[1] Which as we all know is a unitary County.

How short of its concessionary fares spend is the grant it receives?
Not over £1 million as in Cambridge, I bet.

Peterborough is bigger, so maybe there are even more people
travelling in to do their shopping. On the other hand maybe
Peterborough county includes most of its suburbs, in a way that
Cambridge doesn't. Your problem is presumably having so much
residential so close, that's actually in Scambs.

How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry July 5th 10 12:02 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 05:46:42
on Mon, 5 Jul 2010, remarked:

How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

How many tourists arrive in Cambridge by twirly-pass?

And when I was last in Cambridge it was difficult to spot many tourists
over the age of 25, irrespective of how they'd arrived.

[email protected] July 5th 10 03:27 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
05:46:42 on Mon, 5 Jul 2010,
remarked:

How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

How many tourists arrive in Cambridge by twirly-pass?

They use them when they are here!

And when I was last in Cambridge it was difficult to spot many
tourists over the age of 25, irrespective of how they'd arrived.

Your blinkers are showing.

Anyway, you still haven't said how many tourists there are in Peterborough.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry July 5th 10 07:25 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 10:27:08
on Mon, 5 Jul 2010, remarked:
How many million tourists does Peterborough get each year? Get real!

How many tourists arrive in Cambridge by twirly-pass?

They use them when they are here!

So these are UK-resident OAP tourists who arrived by train and then use
the buses around the City?

And when I was last in Cambridge it was difficult to spot many
tourists over the age of 25, irrespective of how they'd arrived.

Your blinkers are showing.

Using my eyes (sans blinkers).

Anyway, you still haven't said how many tourists there are in Peterborough.

They wouldn't be using the bus to get around inside Peterborough, as all
the tourist stuff is within walking distance. Oxford, York and Lincoln
might have a problem with people using buses within the city limits.

But I'd expect the vast majority of OAP visitors to all these places to
be coming into the centre to do their shopping, not sightseeing.

[email protected] July 5th 10 11:13 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

[...]

Stop trolling just this once, please, Roland. We are talking about the
cost to councils of non-residents using bus passes!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Terry[_2_] July 6th 10 06:08 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , Roland Perry
writes

So these are UK-resident OAP tourists who arrived by train and then use
the buses around the City?

I should think that rather more arrive by car and then use their passes
for a free trip to and from the city centre on the park-and-ride buses -
that's certainly how I use my own Freedom Pass, given the cost and
difficulty of parking in central Cambridge all day.

--
Paul Terry

Roland Perry July 6th 10 06:51 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 18:13:41
on Mon, 5 Jul 2010, remarked:
I'd expect the vast majority of OAP visitors to all these
places to be coming into the centre to do their shopping, not
sightseeing.

Stop trolling just this once, please, Roland. We are talking about the
cost to councils of non-residents using bus passes!

And you introduced the concept that Cambridge was inundated by twirly
tourists. I just don't reckon that's the case. Has anyone ever done a
survey?

Roland Perry July 6th 10 06:55 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 07:08:34 on Tue, 6
Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:
So these are UK-resident OAP tourists who arrived by train and then
use the buses around the City?

I should think that rather more arrive by car and then use their passes
for a free trip to and from the city centre on the park-and-ride buses
- that's certainly how I use my own Freedom Pass, given the cost and
difficulty of parking in central Cambridge all day.

How far away from Cambridge do you live, and to what extent do you
define yourself as a "tourist" when visiting?

I'm sure there are some - although tourists are perhaps less likely to
use P&R than shoppers from Scambs, being less familiar with the system.

And are these tourists just "up for the day", or staying locally. In the
latter case the P&R is even less likely to figure as you can't park
overnight and you already need to drive to the hotel/B&B to unload your
bags.

Paul Terry[_2_] July 6th 10 08:17 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , Roland Perry
writes

In message , at 07:08:34 on Tue,
6 Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:

I should think that rather more arrive by car and then use their
passes for a free trip to and from the city centre on the
park-and-ride buses - that's certainly how I use my own Freedom Pass,
given the cost and difficulty of parking in central Cambridge all day.

How far away from Cambridge do you live,

"Freedom pass" means that I must be a resident of a London borough.

and to what extent do you define yourself as a "tourist" when visiting?

I generally go there on academic business - but the National Bus Pass
scheme doesn't differentiate, providing that I don't need a Cambridge
bus before 9.30am on a weekday.

I'm sure there are some - although tourists are perhaps less likely to
use P&R than shoppers from Scambs, being less familiar with the system.

Possibly, although Cambridge P&R is well advertised - and drivers who
ignore the signs often regret it.

I imagine that there is also considerable use of the National Bus Pass
from people arriving by train, as the station is a long walk from the
city centre.

And are these tourists just "up for the day", or staying locally.

They have to be day-trippers to use the Park and Ride car parks. Of
course, being only an hour or so from London makes Cambridge a popular
destination for day trippers.

--
Paul Terry

Peter Campbell Smith[_5_] July 6th 10 08:57 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

Roland Perry wrote in news:snSYsFqVNtMMFAt5
@perry.co.uk:

[...]

I am the parent of two students at Cambridge University. I am allowed to
park in their college grounds when visiting them, and have on occasion then
used the buses with my pass to get around the city. Perhaps I am not very
typical, but there are a lot of students in Cambridge, and these days it
isn't uncommon for their parents to be the wrong side of 60.

Peter

--
| Peter Campbell Smith | Epsom | UK |

Roland Perry July 6th 10 11:50 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 09:17:09 on Tue, 6
Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:

I should think that rather more arrive by car and then use their
passes for a free trip to and from the city centre on the
park-and-ride buses - that's certainly how I use my own Freedom Pass,
the cost and difficulty of parking in central Cambridge all day.

How far away from Cambridge do you live,

"Freedom pass" means that I must be a resident of a London borough.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure why we are supposed to know that.

and to what extent do you define yourself as a "tourist" when visiting?

I generally go there on academic business - but the National Bus Pass
scheme doesn't differentiate, providing that I don't need a Cambridge
bus before 9.30am on a weekday.

Do you use free buses to do the whole trip, or is the "bit in the
middle" on a train, or even a car?

I'm sure there are some - although tourists are perhaps less likely to
use P&R than shoppers from Scambs, being less familiar with the
system.

Possibly, although Cambridge P&R is well advertised -

All of them are pretty well advertised, but they never advertise the
gotchas. Experience of different P&R round the country says service
levels are pretty patchy, and as a first time visitor to Cambridge it's
always going to be a gamble.

and drivers who ignore the signs often regret it.

You've done a survey which told you that?

I imagine that there is also considerable use of the National Bus Pass
from people arriving by train, as the station is a long walk from the
city centre.

Those are the ones I mentioned originally.

And are these tourists just "up for the day", or staying locally.

They have to be day-trippers to use the Park and Ride car parks.

Agreed.

Of course, being only an hour or so from London makes Cambridge a
popular destination for day trippers.

If you say so. I'm still unconvinced that this is a major drain on
resources, compared to people living within a 10-mile radius coming to
Cambridge to shop.

Roland Perry July 6th 10 11:51 AM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , at 08:57:42 on Tue,
6 Jul 2010, Peter Campbell Smith remarked:

I am the parent of two students at Cambridge University. I am allowed to
park in their college grounds when visiting them, and have on occasion then
used the buses with my pass to get around the city. Perhaps I am not very
typical, but there are a lot of students in Cambridge, and these days it
isn't uncommon for their parents to be the wrong side of 60.

That's a pretty weak example, and yes, you are not typical.

Mizter T July 6th 10 12:37 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

On Jul 6, 12:50*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:17:09 on Tue, 6
Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:

I should think that rather more arrive by car and then use their
passes for a free trip to and from the city centre on the
park-and-ride buses - that's certainly how I use my own Freedom Pass,
the cost and difficulty of parking in central Cambridge all day.

How far away from Cambridge do you live,

"Freedom pass" means that I must be a resident of a London borough.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure why we are supposed to know that.

Apart from the fact you did know that, this is uk.transport.london,
and the existence of the Freedom Pass is also regularly part of
discussions on uk.railway.

Hard not to come to the conclusion that you do enjoy a bit of
provocative trolling from time to time Mr Perry ;-)

Paul Terry[_2_] July 6th 10 02:08 PM

Senior Pass acceptance

In message , Roland Perry
writes

In message , at 09:17:09 on Tue,
6 Jul 2010, Paul Terry remarked:

I should think that rather more arrive by car and then use their
passes for a free trip to and from the city centre on the
park-and-ride buses - that's certainly how I use my own Freedom
Pass, the cost and difficulty of parking in central Cambridge all day.

"Freedom pass" means that I must be a resident of a London borough.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure why we are supposed to know that.

Freedom passes are often discussed here (here being uk.transport.london,
after all).

Do you use free buses to do the whole trip, or is the "bit in the
middle" on a train, or even a car?

The answer is in the bit you quoted (viz. car from London to one of the
park-and-ride sites - usually Trumpington - and then bus).

Experience of different P&R round the country says service levels are
pretty patchy, and as a first time visitor to Cambridge it's always
going to be a gamble.

Heaven forbid that they might have to use the Internet to see what
service levels are like before they leave! But you are right in the
sense that early closing times of such car parks can be a gotcha. The
Cambridge scheme is well set-up, with staffed information offices at the
terminals and frequent bus services.

and drivers who ignore the signs often regret it.

You've done a survey which told you that?

No, it's something that I and colleagues have experienced, which is why
I now always use the free park-and-ride. Parking in the centre of
Cambridge is extremely difficult and expensive. I frequently travel
there for examiners' meetings (of which there are hundreds at this time
of year), many of which involve large numbers of the 60+ age group.

If you say so. I'm still unconvinced that this is a major drain on
resources, compared to people living within a 10-mile radius coming to
Cambridge to shop.

Bus-pass journeys starting outside the city of Cambridge are irrelevant,
because they are not paid for by the city council.

All of this has, in fact, been thoroughly discussed in parliament, where
it was agreed that cities which are tourist centres are unfairly treated
by the current grant arrangements - Cambridge, Norwich and Oxford were
mentioned in particular (see Hansard for 26 January 2009).

There really is no doubt that tourism is the main problem - particularly
now that we have an increasingly mobile population over the age of 59
with time (and bus passes) on their hands. AIUI, the grant arrangements
are being reviewed (hence the answer to the original question in this
thread) with a view to making them more equitable.
--
Paul Terry