Old June 7th 10, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Senior Pass acceptance

In article
,
(Pat Ricroft) wrote:

On 7 June, 12:44, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
I don't use my Senior Pass a lot (we don't have that many buses round
here in rural Somerset) but when I do I get issued with a ticket. * I
was in London at the weekend and the drivers there were happy to have
me simply show it to them - didn't even have to place it on the
Oyster reader. Was that correct? *How do London organise the funding?

Different operators seem to have different rules for recording the use
of these passes. Some will always issue a zero fare ticket, others
seem to treat it as a rover ticket and just record the passenger as
boarding the bus, without issuing any ticket. I suppose it's up to the
operator to decide how they want to record the use of these things. If
an inspector boards the bus and wants to see tickets and passes, you
just show them your pass.

It depends more on the local authority that is paying for the passes I
suspect. They negotiate with the bus operators who have to show what
actual journeys users make (in aggregate). At first when the national
passes came in there were all sorts of fiddles to boost operator revenues
(allegedly), leading to the more tightly documented systems in some places.

--
Colin Rosenstiel