Old June 12th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Passing through closed stations.

On Jun 10, 7:28*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
I passed through 3 closed Underground stations on the same day.

Warren Street (Victoria Line) - we stopped momentarily which I guess is to
do with ATO (doors did not open). * Not sure about tape.
Wimbledon Park - passed without apparent slowing. * Tape all round the
platform.
Notting Hill (Circle) - passed at a fast jog. * Tape all round the platform.

Which set me wondering. * What are the rules for passing through stations
where work is in progress?

And to expand slightly beyond LUL with Glastonbury approaching I know they
put a speed limit on trains passing through Castle Cary (20 mph I believe)
so do the same rules apply where large crowds are expected?

In a similar manner to Castle Cary, there used to be 50mph limits
through Birmingham International when there was a major exhibition on
at the NEC, I don't think it applies anymore though.

Rich

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkprince66/

Old June 13th 10, 12:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:59:41 -0700 (PDT), darkprince66
wrote:
In a similar manner to Castle Cary, there used to be 50mph limits
through Birmingham International when there was a major exhibition

on
at the NEC, I don't think it applies anymore though.

Understandable. Being on the platform at BHI when a Pendo goes
through at full pelt is exhilirating to say the least - the platforms
are narrow and enclosed, which accentuates the effect.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK
Old June 14th 10, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:41:52AM +0100, Clive wrote:
In message , simon
writes
On NR lines where LU trains run, their rules
state that it's the normal line speed, unless there's a lower speed
for station limits.

Why should lines within station limits be lower than in the section?

Presumably because, if in normal use trains are expected to always stop
there, and so only run at a very low speed, there's no point spending
extra money on building the track to a needlessly high quality. Same
reason that the road outside my house doesn't have as good a surface as
a motorway does: to build a suburban side street to motorway standards
would be a waste of money.

Old June 14th 10, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, David Cantrell wrote:

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:41:52AM +0100, Clive wrote:
In message , simon
writes
On NR lines where LU trains run, their rules
state that it's the normal line speed, unless there's a lower speed
for station limits.

Why should lines within station limits be lower than in the section?

Presumably because, if in normal use trains are expected to always stop
there, and so only run at a very low speed, there's no point spending
extra money on building the track to a needlessly high quality. Same
reason that the road outside my house doesn't have as good a surface as
a motorway does: to build a suburban side street to motorway standards
would be a waste of money.

Also, if your street is reached by turning off another road, chances are
the radius of that turn is much smaller than you'd find on any motorway,
so that even if it was surfaced with deluxe super-tarmac, you still
couldn't go fast on it. Stations have similar physical constraints, with
tracks typically jiggling about more than on plain line.

tom

--
There are about 62 Lego bricks per person of the Earth's population.