Old June 14th 10, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL architecture article

In message , Ian Jelf
writes
Assuming you call people from Bristol, Birmingham and Norwich
"Northerners", then yes! ;-)

Isn't Birmingham somewhere near the Borders?
--
Clive

Old June 16th 10, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/06/2010 13:24, MIG wrote:
On 13 June, 12:33, Paul wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:41:19 +0100, Arthur Figgis

wrote:
On 12/06/2010 12:06, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:54:59 +0100, wrote:

Long piece he

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/...ilway-extensio...
00779.article

Author reckons the jewel in the crown is the maintenance shed, which we
can't see...

Err having read the article I wonder what on earth was expected of the
ELLX.

A surprising number of people in Croydon seemed to think they were
getting a brand new JLE-style fully underground line,

They did? I bet they were mightily disappointed then.

not different
trains running on existing tracks (I'm not sure the reinstated tracks at
the north end are of much interest down here, or are even intended to be
of interest).

Well given not a lot of work has happened or was ever planned to happen
at the southern end did they imagine someone was about to wave a wand
one night last month and it was all going to appear as if by magic?

Given that there have been "campaigns" whingeing about the loss of
trains into London Bridge didn't they appreciate what they were getting
in terms of the ELL in order to be able to have their whinge in the
first place?

People seem well able to appreciate a change to or loss of the
particular train that they commute on (because there are timetables
down here, rather than a stream of trains every few minutes, and
people tend to get the same train every day).

Beyond that though, I've never met a normal who can distinguish
between DLR, JLE, ELLX Crossrail and Thameslink.

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/...l/article.html

Amidst the [blatant plug/interesting local comment] from an estate agent:

===
Miss Ogden believes property prices could rise still further as word of
the extension's opening spreads.

She said: "I don't think there's been enough publicity from TfL
(Transport for London). We feel it's a huge plus for the area."

But Elliott Valentine, a mortgage broker at estate agents Townends in
South Norwood High Street, believes the East London line has had little
impact on South Norwood – because of a lack of publicity.

He said: "It has been a bit of an anti-climax and hasn't had a major
effect here.

"It would definitely have an impact if it was on the news that it was
coming through Norwood Junction.
===
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 18th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...

big snippity

"First we came for your night buses, then we came for your London Bridge
trains...." :-/

another big snippity

What is it about the Croydon/Sutton/Carshalton triangle that sucks the life
out of late night public transport? First we had the N213 was it?
cancellation debacle and now the ELL. I go to quite a lot of gigs over in
that bit of London (some mates have got a band that play that side of town a
lot) and was looking to the ELL to make the journey back to the sensible
side of town that much easier. A tube STYLE service and tube STYLE
timetable, Yippee! Then I saw the last train from West Croydon time; 23:22,
hang on, I didn't phrase that correctly, TWENTY THREE - FU*KING - TWENTY
TWO! Would it have been that hard to stick on a midnight flyer? So anyone
using LO for a night out in the fleshpots of Croydon or more sensibly
perhaps going to a event at the Fairfield Halls is stuffed for getting home,
oh well, back to the night bus (provided it's not been cancelled).
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old June 19th 10, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 June, 16:52, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Clive
writes

In message , Basil Jet
writes
I guess some Northerners thought "Millennium" was a district of London
that had a dome and a wheel.

Isn't it?

Well, it's the name of a River Pier, isn't it?

Similar problem with famous kings and queens and other people that
things get named after all over the country (or world).

The other day, I heard someone at Victoria station asking for
directions to Victoria Park.