London Banter

-   -   Barking - Gospel Oak line (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10914-barking-gospel-oak-line.html)

Roland Perry June 17th 10 04:50 PM

Barking - Gospel Oak line

In message , at 23:30:19 on Wed, 16 Jun
2010, Richard J. remarked:
In the rules of the route do they quote the available/useable length or
the actual length? After all, some stations in some parts of the
country have parts of their platforms fenced off.

I'm not familiar with the ROTR deliverables, so can't say. One easy
spot-check would Loughborough - where not only is the southern end of
both main platform "out of bounds" as a result of a low bridge, but the
far northern end of the up platform also is also barred (using those
triangular wooden anti-pedestrian bars you normally see at level
crossings).

From the 2010 Rules of the Plan:

Loughborough
Platform 1 110 m Reduced availability due to safety risks
Platform 2 107 m Reduced availability due to safety risks
Platform 3 58 m Can *only* accomadate [sic] 5 cars or less

How could you get 5 cars into a 58-metre platform?

I suspect that's a note which is meant to apply to Platforms 1&2. In
practice Platform 3 will never see more than a 3-car.

Richard J.[_3_] June 17th 10 05:57 PM

Barking - Gospel Oak line

Roland Perry wrote on 17 June 2010 17:50:52 ...
In , at 23:30:19 on Wed, 16 Jun
2010, Richard remarked:
In the rules of the route do they quote the available/useable length or
the actual length? After all, some stations in some parts of the
country have parts of their platforms fenced off.

I'm not familiar with the ROTR deliverables, so can't say. One easy
spot-check would Loughborough - where not only is the southern end of
both main platform "out of bounds" as a result of a low bridge, but the
far northern end of the up platform also is also barred (using those
triangular wooden anti-pedestrian bars you normally see at level
crossings).

From the 2010 Rules of the Plan:

Loughborough
Platform 1 110 m Reduced availability due to safety risks
Platform 2 107 m Reduced availability due to safety risks
Platform 3 58 m Can *only* accomadate [sic] 5 cars or less

How could you get 5 cars into a 58-metre platform?

I suspect that's a note which is meant to apply to Platforms 1&2. In
practice Platform 3 will never see more than a 3-car.

I've just checked the 2011 version (presumably still in draft - next
update 9 July), and the comment against Platform 3 has been removed.
The numbers for all three platforms and the comments on platforms 1 & 2
are unchanged.
--
Richard J.