London Banter

-   -   Cycle hire (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10924-cycle-hire.html)

David Walters July 18th 10 09:06 AM

Cycle hire

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 03:19:41 -0500, wrote:
And membership?

Members have a key and I expect will either have bought annual access or
there might be some automatic charge you for a day if you use it scheme.

Also, does anyone know how one finds the nearest stand to a particular
address?

TfL haven't really published the list in a friendly way yet. I expect
that is because they don't really know which stations will be live on
the 30th until they have finished the installs and found the ones with
broken telephone lines or whatever.

There have been various lists of planned locations published, one of
which is linked to with a map at
http://cyclehireapp.com/locations.html

David

Paul Terry[_2_] July 18th 10 09:17 AM

Cycle hire

In message ,
writes

And membership?

AIUI, the key is only available to those who become members, but it's
not entirely clear.

Also, does anyone know how one finds the nearest stand to a particular
address? I might use this between King's Cross station and the office.
I've seen a stand across from the station in Belgrove St but haven't seen
any near my office which is off Great Peter St.

http://westminster.londoninformer.co...epares-to.html

I should think either Smith Square or Abbey Orchard Street would be the
nearest (or possibly Greycourt Lane if you are at the Pimlico end of Gt
Peter St)
--
Paul Terry

Tom Anderson July 18th 10 12:10 PM

Cycle hire

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, David Walters wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 15:42:11 -0500, wrote:
I'm confused too. Maybe Paul has the same problem. It's how the "access
fee" of up the ?45 a year and membership and the "Key fee" of ?3 relate.

My understanding is you don't need a key and can hire a bike with your
credit card but can opt to have a key if you like which will speed up
the hire process.

The payment station takes credit cards, and keys,

But not Oyster? What are these key things? Why is the cycle hire scheme
not on Oyster?

If you have a key you can short circuit the payment station and insert
it into a reader next to your chosen bike, enter your PIN and ride into
the sunset.

I suppose the key readers are cheaper than an Oyster reader; you might not
want to buy an Oyster pad for every stand.

tom

--
Suddenly, everything is clear ...

[email protected] July 18th 10 12:36 PM

Cycle hire

wrote:
And membership?

Members have a key and I expect will either have bought annual access or
there might be some automatic charge you for a day if you use it scheme.

Hmm. That's what's confusing me. The keys are mentioned as available
separately for a £3 charge. No link there to membership. I wonder whether
businesses will be able to take out memberships for casual use by their
staff, for example?

Also, does anyone know how one finds the nearest stand to a
particular address?

TfL haven't really published the list in a friendly way yet. I expect
that is because they don't really know which stations will be live on
the 30th until they have finished the installs and found the ones with
broken telephone lines or whatever.

There have been various lists of planned locations published, one of
which is linked to with a map at
http://cyclehireapp.com/locations.html

Thanks. Looks like Smith Square will be the nearest to work.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] July 18th 10 12:36 PM

Cycle hire

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message ,
writes

And membership?

AIUI, the key is only available to those who become members, but
it's not entirely clear.

I think that's where we started!

http://westminster.londoninformer.co...heme-prepares-
to.html

I should think either Smith Square or Abbey Orchard Street would be
the nearest (or possibly Greycourt Lane if you are at the Pimlico
end of Gt Peter St)

Thanks. As in another comment of mine, Smith Square will be much nearer
than Abbey Orchard St as my office is quite close to Millbank. Curiously
I've not noticed works in Smith Square and I've been there a couple of
times in recent weeks. Must be hidden away in a corner I don't go to, by
the old Tory Central Office perhaps.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_2_] July 18th 10 01:03 PM

Cycle hire

On 18/07/2010 13:10, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, David Walters wrote:

The payment station takes credit cards, and keys,

But not Oyster?

Maybe the deposit is more than anyone has on their Oyster card.

Basil Jet[_2_] July 18th 10 01:15 PM

Cycle hire

On 18/07/2010 01:03, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Paul Corfield wrote:

from a Mayor who loves cycling.

I wish people would stop saying that.

I wish you'd stop saying that any Mayor who doesn't spend his entire
budget on cycling is a cycle hater! :-)

Paul Terry[_2_] July 18th 10 01:36 PM

Cycle hire

In message ,
writes

Thanks. As in another comment of mine, Smith Square will be much nearer
than Abbey Orchard St as my office is quite close to Millbank. Curiously
I've not noticed works in Smith Square and I've been there a couple of
times in recent weeks. Must be hidden away in a corner I don't go to, by
the old Tory Central Office perhaps.

The plan was to site it outside No.34 (next door to the old Central
Office, although I think it was actually used as an extension to No.32).

However, Westminster refused planning permission on the grounds that it
was too close to St John's (Grade 1 listed) and various nearby Grade 2
listed buildings. (It also so happened that Westminster would have lost
two lucrative parking bays had planning been granted).

I think TfL are now seeking a site in the short road that runs south
from the square (Dean Bradley Street). I fear it's unlikely to be one of
the docking stations ready at the launch of the scheme.
--
Paul Terry

Clive July 18th 10 01:59 PM

Cycle hire

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
Even the Standard has been quite
ferocious on the lorry / bicycle accident issue in London and I don't
think we have a coherent position from City Hall about to properly deal
with increasing cycling and having huge lorries on the road.

May be a course of cycle proficiency would be in order, as it should
instruct cyclists that stopping at the left side of a lorry about to
turn left is not in there best interest, if they are looking for a long
life.
--
Clive

[email protected] July 18th 10 02:36 PM

Cycle hire

In article ,
() wrote:

I should think either Smith Square or Abbey Orchard Street would

be the nearest (or possibly Greycourt Lane if you are at the
Pimlico end of Gt Peter St)

Thanks. As in another comment of mine, Smith Square will be much
nearer than Abbey Orchard St as my office is quite close to
Millbank. Curiously I've not noticed works in Smith Square and I've
been there a couple of times in recent weeks. Must be hidden away
in a corner I don't go to, by the old Tory Central Office perhaps.

Zooming in on the map makes it clear that the site is exactly there.
Should have done so earlier!

--
Colin Rosenstiel