Old June 24th 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington

On 24 June, 11:38, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Chris Tolley
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Denis McMahon
scribeth thus
On 23/06/10 19:05, SB wrote:
Trains cancelled to Worcester. Trains cancelled to Wales and West
Country. Trains cancelled to Oxford and Bourne End and also to Henley.
All other trains subject to huge delays. Reason = 'signalling
problems' in the West Drayton area from last night = 'vandalism' in
the Iver area = Pikeys cut the signal cables to burn off the plastic
and sell the copper. SB

And you know it was "Pikeys" (whatever they are) how exactly?

Ask anyone who has to clear up from these like BT, Arquiva the
transmission sites contractor, Any UK power distribution company, anyone
who works on church roof's they'll tell you that in no uncertain terms.!

Well if you ask me (since the lead on one of my Churches was nicked some
time back), then all I'd say is that someone nicked it. I can't see why
you'd anticipate some prejudiced speculation about their identity.

Your too forgiving Chris. Perhaps if you worked for the organisations
mentioned you'd se it differently;!..

I don't understand the comment. It doesn't have anything to do with
forgiveness. You've got to know who it is before you can consider the
forgiveness aspect. My previous comment is only indicating a belief that
it's silly to just pick some random target out of the air to attack when
something happens.

Exactly. That's the sort of thing foreigners do. Probly.

Old June 24th 10, 04:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article
s.com, Fat richard scribeth thus
On 24 June, 08:23, Graeme wrote:

Wouldn't stop them trying. *There was a case recently of someone electrocuted
in a sub-station trying to steal the main feeder!

Indeed, whilst not sure whats in the sub stations worth recovering - I
assume it's copper? - a quick look at many sub stations in 3rd rail
territory (there are so many) reveals palisade fencing and now even
Gatso style cameras.

Yes its copper. At several telecoms sites up and down the UK they've now
converted the lightning protection systems to Aluminium which of course
doesn't fetch the same price as Copper, so doesn't get nicked as much if
at all!....

I don't think I will be giving away state secrets to advise that these
cameras are very real and monitored very well indeed. This additional
security over the last few years certainly seems to be more related to
copper fairies than to stupid yoofs having a lark about.

Indeed...

Richard

--
Tony Sayer

Old June 24th 10, 05:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Chris Tolley
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Chris Tolley
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Denis McMahon
scribeth thus
On 23/06/10 19:05, SB wrote:
[...]

You seem to me to be a bit on the naive side Chris. These aren't people
who might just be "tempted" this is a known organised deliberate theft
plain and simple.

Mind you if you want to be smacked on both cheeks then don't let me stop
U....

Well, what happened was we replaced the lead, and it was promptly nicked
again. Then we got involved with a long debate about whether we had to
replace it with lead or could use some other material (Church has listed
building status). The debate rumbles on. There isn't really time or
energy to waste worrying over who did it, or whether the second theft
was connected to the first. Too many other things to do.

Well if someone doesn't do something it will happen time and time again
and again. And your church will become too expensive to insure if it
isn't already!.

And I don't suppose all those who couldn't travel will mind either;!..

I near that Stainless steel is getting to be the material of choice.

Just needs the wallies at the council to wake up to the real world...

--
Tony Sayer

Old June 24th 10, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 23 June, 19:45, CJB wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:05*pm, SB wrote:

Trains cancelled to Worcester. Trains cancelled to Wales and West
Country. Trains cancelled to Oxford and Bourne End and also to Henley.
All other trains subject to huge delays. Reason = 'signalling
problems' in the West Drayton area from last night = 'vandalism' in
the Iver area = Pikeys cut the signal cables to burn off the plastic
and sell the copper. SB

Got this email from FGW CS:

Due to the theft of signalling cable at West Drayton, an extremely
limited train service is able to operate between London Paddington and
Reading.

Network Rail?s Engineering Team are working as hard as possible to
resolve this issue, but due to the amount of cable removed, disruption
is likely to continue until 2200 this evening.

Does this area use Solid State Interlocking? If so, they should just
need one twisted pair to control all the locations, it shouldn't take
long to lay a temporary one, there is no risk of dangerous mis-
connections with SSI, either it will work correctly or not at all. If
signalling power cables have been cut, again temporary power can be
laid on from the nearest building, or a mobile generator, using
standard construction site electrics, which conveniently deliver power
at the 110v used at signalling locations, just by modifying
transformers to disconnect the centre-point earth (not doing so would
run the risk of falsely energising apparatus if there was an earth
fault).

Old June 24th 10, 07:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24 June, 07:43, "Kev Lawrence"
wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

On Jun 23, 9:41 pm, "

wrote:
On 23 June, 19:45, CJB wrote:

On Jun 23, 7:05 pm, SB wrote:

Trains cancelled to Worcester. Trains cancelled to Wales and West
Country. Trains cancelled to Oxford and Bourne End and also to Henley.
All other trains subject to huge delays. Reason = 'signalling
problems' in the West Drayton area from last night = 'vandalism' in
the Iver area = Pikeys cut the signal cables to burn off the plastic
and sell the copper. SB

Is there not a way that a spare core or two of the cable could carry a nice
deterrent voltage to stop this?

(probably banned cos of elf n safety!)

Kev

It is banned, in fact it's downright illegal, it's called "setting a
man-trap". But you could put the functional 650v supply in the same
cable.

Old June 24th 10, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tony sayer wrote:

In article , Chris Tolley
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Chris Tolley
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

In article , Denis McMahon
scribeth thus
On 23/06/10 19:05, SB wrote:
[...]

Well, of course it is organised. The lead is too far off the ground to
reach without some planning ahead. But I think that the only people who
are ruled out as potential suspects are those who are too infirm or too
scared to climb a ladder.

Mind you if you want to be smacked on both cheeks then don't let me stop
U....

Well, what happened was we replaced the lead, and it was promptly nicked
again. Then we got involved with a long debate about whether we had to
replace it with lead or could use some other material (Church has listed
building status). The debate rumbles on. There isn't really time or
energy to waste worrying over who did it, or whether the second theft
was connected to the first. Too many other things to do.

Well if someone doesn't do something it will happen time and time again
and again. And your church will become too expensive to insure if it
isn't already!.

The incidence of lead thefts in the area fell dramatically with the
crash in metal prices during the recession. we're more exercised by
graffiti at present.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632858.html
(33 056 and 33 034 at Reading, Jul 1985)
Old June 24th 10, 09:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:

[snip]

Well, what happened was we replaced the lead, and it was promptly nicked
again. Then we got involved with a long debate about whether we had to
replace it with lead or could use some other material (Church has listed
building status). The debate rumbles on. There isn't really time or
energy to waste worrying over who did it, or whether the second theft
was connected to the first. Too many other things to do.

Well if someone doesn't do something it will happen time and time again
and again. And your church will become too expensive to insure if it
isn't already!.

The incidence of lead thefts in the area fell dramatically with the
crash in metal prices during the recession. we're more exercised by
graffiti at present.

The Barron-Knights song The Chapel*Lead Was Missing would seem appropriate.

I'll get my cassock...

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old June 24th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The message
from Graeme contains these words:

The Barron-Knights song The Chapel*Lead Was Missing would seem appropriate.

I'll get my cassock...

Nah! You're not surplice to requirements - yet.

--
Dave,
Frodsham
Old June 25th 10, 08:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:14:01 +0100 someone who may be tony sayer
wrote this:-

This way ('cos of speed of light..) you can tell instantly exactly here
a cable is being damaged, and signal control center could arrange for
police to arrive on site..

Err .. right.. Ever tried to get old bill to turn up with any urgency in
recent times?...

Telling them that there is someone with a camera seems to work well.

The other one, possibly just a rural joke, is to tell them that they
need not bother any more, as one has now shot the intruders they
didn't have anyone available to deal with.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old June 25th 10, 01:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 25, 9:46*am, David Hansen
wrote:

Telling them that there is someone with a camera seems to work well.

The other one, possibly just a rural joke, is to tell them that they
need not bother any more, as one has now shot the intruders they
didn't have anyone available to deal with.

My uncle had a break in at his electrical goods shop a few years back,
and a number of things stolen. Discovered and reported during a
Saturday night, minutes after the theft. Initially the police didn't
even want to take a report over the phone and suggested he called back
during office hours on Monday and they _might_ send someone out. He
then said, truthfully, "I think they've taken my gun". The officers
in the two cars that appeared on the scene 10 minutes later were less
than impressed to find out it was an non-operational air rifle he'd
been planning to repair in the workshop.