Old June 29th 10, 06:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

In article ,
Arthur Figgis wrote:

Why do Canadians insist on getting ****ed off at being called Americans,
when other Americans don't seem to? ...

Because when the PotUSA says "My fellow Americans" they either:

a) know he's not talking to them and feel left out, or
b) worry that he might be talking to them and want to make a point.

Sam

Old June 29th 10, 06:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:30:13 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In the latter case it doesn't help that the Dutch tourist office refers to
the country as Holland.

As do most Dutch people I've met.

Of course, a fairly large part of the Netherlands is made up of (Noord
and Zuid) Holland.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old June 29th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Ian Jelf
writes

About 10 years ago I went to visit my cousin in Florida. Her pre-teen
kids were addicted to UK Gold - reruns of Benny Hill and Are You Being
Served were their favourites (or possibly favorites). I was was...
let's say surprised. Perhaps Bayzil Brush was a cultural step too far.

"Keeping Up Appearances" has a similar cache, there, I understand.

I always feel that they're somehow laughing at slightly different
things in these show to us.......

About 20 years ago, when we took our lads (then sub-teen) to the States
and stayed with friends who also have young, they unwittingly caused
total despondency. The conversation veered round to 'Eastenders' and
our lads, not realising that the US screenings were some months behind
ours, made some casual remark; there was a lengthy silence, jaws
dropped, and eventually someone managed to gasp 'You mean ... the dog
.... _dies_??'
--
Sue
The Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Preservation Trust is now at
Old June 29th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:13:34 +0100, Arthur Figgis put finger to keyboard
and typed:

Why do Canadians insist on getting ****ed off at being called Americans,
when other Americans don't seem to?

Residents of the USA don't object to being called "American" because for
them, that's what they are.

Residents of Mexico don't object to being called "American" because for
them, being a resident of the USA is an aspiration.

Residents of Canada object to being called "American" because for them,
being a resident of the USA would be a deprivation.

Mark
--
30 Days of Music in June:
http://mark.goodge.co.uk/category/mu...days-of-music/
Old June 29th 10, 08:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Ditto Peugeot calling themselves "Perr-jo".

I would think that's about right ... but how
many Citroëns are actually yellow in England ?

Regards all

C.
Old June 29th 10, 08:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Zhang Dawei wrote

I find the cup-based measures particularly incomprehensible, since
they are a volume-based measure and yet are used for substances
(e.g., flour) which can undergo significant compression, yielding
much variation in mass and/or weight for the same volume measure.

[...]
making people believe they can detect a difference) then it becomes
truly mystifying.

For Americans who agree with you see "The Kitchen Scale Manifesto":
http://recipes.egullet.org/ksm.php

I had fun developing a spreadsheet to assist in converting US recipes.

The culture dates back to times when weighing was difficult and
expensive so markets in England sold apples by the quart and peck and
Dr Banting, inventor of the concept of dieting, had to have scales for
people specially built.

--
Mike D

Old June 30th 10, 04:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Why do Canadians insist on getting ****ed off at being called Americans,
when other Americans don't seem to?

But they do get ****ed off.

Nobody wants to be "Americans".

Even the "illegals" are generally only there for the work.

--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/