Old June 27th 10, 06:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

[x-posted to uk.transport.london]
[original thread on uk.railway]

On Jun 27, 12:34 am, Josie wrote:
Can I have a ticket to Loogahgbaroogah?

http://notalwaysright.com/theyll-nev...ive-welsh/5582

I year or two ago on a busy Sunday afternoon I came across two Polish
guys at the bottom of the escalators in Camden Town tube station
quizzing two puzzled looking LU employees as to how they could get to
"Ladbroke Junction" - no such place they were saying, there's Ladbroke
Grove but not Ladbroke Junction, but the Poles insisted there *was* a
Ladbroke Junction station because they lived there! Having overheard
this whilst deciphering from the displays which platform I should head
for (those au fait with Camden Town will understand), I scratched my
head to try and work out where they were going - they continued to
protest that Ladbroke Junction was very real, whilst the LU chaps
remained politely adamant that there was no such place.

Eventually I clocked it - they wanted Loughborough Junction! Evidently
no-one had told them, and they hadn't picked up on, the correct way to
pronounce the name of the place they lived in - one thing I would
certainly recommend be on the agenda when moving to a new area, even
temporarily! Given the uncertainty over whether or not the Thameslink
service was running, we deemed to direct them to Elephant & Castle
from which they could easily get a bus were there no trains.

But I'm not entirely sure that we adequately impressed on them how to
pronounce it properly, and I'm not entirely convinced they didn't just
think that for these two transport employees and this further
interested gent, this "Ladbroke Junction" simply wasn't really on
their radar.

True story.

Old June 27th 10, 07:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jun 27, 12:34 am, Josie wrote:

[...]

Overgeneralisation can also be a problem. Having learned about
Greenwich and feeling clever, somone wanting to go a bit further east
did ask for "Grinnith". This was long before a certain shopping
metropolis had opened there.
Old June 27th 10, 11:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)
Old June 27th 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 27, 12:34 am, wrote:

[...]

This is known as "hypercorrection".
Old June 27th 10, 06:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 27 June, 12:44, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:
MIG wrote:
Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)

Well, it's too long for the Collins Scrabble Checker, which accepts
both overgeneralise and generalisation. I am not sure what to make of
the length limit. Does it imply a rule, or is it just the limits of
the checker? Not rejected anyway; just can't be entered.

Old June 27th 10, 06:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

really) wrote:
MIG wrote:
Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)

Well, it's too long for the Collins Scrabble Checker, which accepts
both overgeneralise and generalisation. I am not sure what to make of
the length limit. Does it imply a rule, or is it just the limits of
the checker? Not rejected anyway; just can't be entered.

If it's more than 15 letters it can't be entered on the board anyway.
Overgeneralisation is 18 letters. Unless you are playing Super Scrabble, I
have checked and it is invalid.

Old June 27th 10, 07:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

really) wrote:
MIG wrote:
Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)

Well, it's too long for the Collins Scrabble Checker, which accepts
both overgeneralise and generalisation. *I am not sure what to make of
the length limit. *Does it imply a rule, or is it just the limits of
the checker? *Not rejected anyway; just can't be entered.

If it's more than 15 letters it can't be entered on the board anyway.
Overgeneralisation is 18 letters. Unless you are playing Super Scrabble, I
have checked and it is invalid.

Duh. As a last resort, consider the bleedin obvious.

Meantime, I am sure I already mentioned the pronunciation reported to
me by someone I believe, by a tourist wanting to go to Inga-testony.
(The implausible bit is that someone wanted to go there.)
Old June 27th 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 27, 8:13*am, MIG wrote:

Overgeneralisation can also be a problem. *Having learned about
Greenwich and feeling clever, somone wanting to go a bit further east
did ask for "Grinnith". *This was long before a certain shopping
metropolis had opened there.

Indeed. Can I have a return from Blox'ich via Ips'ich to Nor-wich,
please?
Old June 27th 10, 07:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote

Meantime, I am sure I already mentioned the pronunciation reported to
me by someone I believe, by a tourist wanting to go to Inga-testony.

Bill Hayles, formerly of this parish, recounted the time when he was booking
office clerk at St John's and tried to sell a ticket to Yeovil to someone
who wanted to go to Oval.

Peter

Old June 27th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

--
Josie
Reverse 'liar' to e-mail me.