Old June 28th 10, 05:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

Josie writes:

On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what the
reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the USA.

Old June 28th 10, 05:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:06:26 on Sun,
27 Jun 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

War - sester (Worcester)

And War-Wick.

Changing industries for a moment, I find myself increasingly surrounded
by Americans who use the Inner-net (and not as a contraction of
Intranet).
Old June 28th 10, 07:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
MIG wrote:

On 27 June, 12:44, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:
MIG wrote:
Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)

Well, it's too long for the Collins Scrabble Checker, which accepts
both overgeneralise and generalisation. I am not sure what to make of
the length limit. Does it imply a rule, or is it just the limits of
the checker? Not rejected anyway; just can't be entered.

Will it fit on the board?

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old June 28th 10, 07:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"The Gardener" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 8:13 am, MIG wrote:

Overgeneralisation can also be a problem. Having learned about
Greenwich and feeling clever, somone wanting to go a bit further
east
did ask for "Grinnith". This was long before a certain shopping
metropolis had opened there.

Indeed. Can I have a return from Blox'ich via Ips'ich to Nor-wich,
please?

Is that Norrich or Naarridge?

Old June 28th 10, 08:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

really) wrote:
MIG wrote:
Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)

Well, it's too long for the Collins Scrabble Checker, which accepts
both overgeneralise and generalisation. I am not sure what to make of
the length limit. Does it imply a rule, or is it just the limits of
the checker? Not rejected anyway; just can't be entered.

The board is only 15x15, and words can't go round corners.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683652.html
(Class 108 51916 at Kettering - last day of the Corby service, 1990)
Old June 28th 10, 08:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:06:26 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

snipped

Real ones (ie to me, in 18+ years in tourism), complete with the reasons
"tourists" might want to go to sometimes unlikely places):

Neck-ells (Nechells area of Birmingham. To get to the "Star City"
complex))

Sluff (Slough, as they;d been told to get a bus from Heathrow with that
destination, in order to reach an hotel)

Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North
Americans)

War - sester (Worcester)

Lie - ces - ter (Leicester)

Bury Street in Edmunds (Bury St Edmunds)

Not quite a place name but an American lady living in Britain on a tour
of mine once said she caused amusement among her new British friends by
always calling Sainsbury's "Sains - berry"; apparently they ended up
calling it that, too!

sure there have been more.

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

Guy Gorton
Old June 28th 10, 09:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graham Murray" wrote in message
Josie writes:

On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North
Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what the
reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the USA.

Nothing. It's an easily understood mistake

tim

Old June 28th 10, 09:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:52:40 on Mon,
28 Jun 2010, Graham Murray remarked:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what the
reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the USA.

Poughkeepsie. (or should that be: Mornington Crescent).
Old June 28th 10, 09:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:02:20
on Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Jim
remarked:
American customers used to refer to the place in Sarf Essex as 'Bay-
zill-don' from the way they pronounce the herb 'basil'.

Oh-ray-gan-oh / Orry-gah-no (Tomayto/tomartoe)