Old June 28th 10, 09:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

Ian Jelf wrote:

Meantime, I am sure I already mentioned the pronunciation reported to
me by someone I believe, by a tourist wanting to go to Inga-testony.
(The implausible bit is that someone wanted to go there.)

Real ones (ie to me, in 18+ years in tourism), complete with the reasons
"tourists" might want to go to sometimes unlikely places):

Neck-ells (Nechells area of Birmingham. To get to the "Star City"
complex))

Sluff (Slough, as they;d been told to get a bus from Heathrow with that
destination, in order to reach an hotel)

Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North
Americans)

Not quite a place name but an American lady living in Britain on a tour
of mine once said she caused amusement among her new British friends by
always calling Sainsbury's "Sains - berry"; apparently they ended up
calling it that, too!

sure there have been more.

Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to St
Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's the one
just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309741.html
(43 015 at Wolverhampton, 4 Oct 1987)

Old June 28th 10, 09:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 28 June, 08:05, Graeme wrote:
In message
* * * * * MIG wrote:

On 27 June, 12:44, Chris *Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:
MIG wrote:
Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)

Well, it's too long for the Collins Scrabble Checker, which accepts
both overgeneralise and generalisation. *I am not sure what to make of
the length limit. *Does it imply a rule, or is it just the limits of
the checker? *Not rejected anyway; just can't be entered.

Will it fit on the board?

No, as has been pointed out.

Didn't realise it was so small, but it's been a long time.
Old June 28th 10, 10:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 21:06:26 on Sun,
27 Jun 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

War - sester (Worcester)

And War-Wick.

Changing industries for a moment, I find myself increasingly surrounded by
Americans who use the Inner-net (and not as a contraction of Intranet).

And yet Berwick in Sussex is supposed to be pronounced Ber-wick, although it
seldom is.

--

Regards

John

Old June 28th 10, 10:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"MIG" wrote

Meantime, I am sure I already mentioned the pronunciation reported to
me by someone I believe, by a tourist wanting to go to Inga-testony.

Bill Hayles, formerly of this parish, recounted the time when he was
booking office clerk at St John's and tried to sell a ticket to Yeovil to
someone who wanted to go to Oval.

Peter

Oban or Holborn?

--

Regards

John

Old June 28th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:32 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to St
Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's the one
just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

Why do I think of the Ying-Tong song?

--
Alex

Old June 28th 10, 12:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

really) wrote:
MIG wrote:
Overgeneralisation can also be a problem.

Indeed. It's illegal in Scrabble.
--http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309759.html
(66 410 at Winwick, 10 Mar 2005)

Well, it's too long for the Collins Scrabble Checker, which accepts
both overgeneralise and generalisation. I am not sure what to make of
the length limit. Does it imply a rule, or is it just the limits of
the checker? Not rejected anyway; just can't be entered.

The board is only 15x15, and words can't go round corners.

A bit like Harley-Davidsons...

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old June 28th 10, 12:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Alex Potter wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:32 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to St
Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's the one
just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

Why do I think of the Ying-Tong song?

I'm sorry, being of tender years, the reference is lost on me.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632834.html
(33 017 at London Waterloo, 14 Mar 1981)
Old June 28th 10, 01:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message

Alex Potter wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:32 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to St
Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's the one
just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

Why do I think of the Ying-Tong song?

I'm sorry, being of tender years, the reference is lost on me.

Radio 7, Thursday Mornings at 0800 might give you a clue.

Old June 28th 10, 02:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message

Alex Potter wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:32 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to St
Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's the one
just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

Why do I think of the Ying-Tong song?

I'm sorry, being of tender years, the reference is lost on me.

Radio 7, Thursday Mornings at 0800 might give you a clue.

I'll clarify. I know of the Ying Tong song. I even looked it up to see
if there is some reference in the Lyrics to the names of main roads in
London, but couldn't see one.

NB The "Key Apsiddy" mentioned above was uttered with what seemed at the
time a fairly reasonable Cockney accent, so it wasn't a case of him
being a stranger in Town.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309756.html
(47 455 at Helsby, 5 Jun 1985)
Old June 28th 10, 03:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:

In message

Alex Potter wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:32 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to St
Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's the one
just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

Why do I think of the Ying-Tong song?

I'm sorry, being of tender years, the reference is lost on me.

Radio 7, Thursday Mornings at 0800 might give you a clue.

I'll clarify. I know of the Ying Tong song. I even looked it up to see
if there is some reference in the Lyrics to the names of main roads in
London, but couldn't see one.

NB The "Key Apsiddy" mentioned above was uttered with what seemed at the
time a fairly reasonable Cockney accent, so it wasn't a case of him
being a stranger in Town.

Despite coming from a London family, I've still not decoded that one.

sounds of brain cogs whirring, albeit somewhat squeakily

Doh! OK someone was extracting the urine, obviously.