Old June 29th 10, 07:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at
08:02:20 on Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Jim
remarked:
American customers used to refer to the place in Sarf Essex as 'Bay-
zill-don' from the way they pronounce the herb 'basil'.

Oh-ray-gan-oh / Orry-gah-no (Tomayto/tomartoe)

Let's call the whole thing off.....

Old June 29th 10, 08:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Chris Tolley" (ukonline really) wrote in
message ...
Alex Potter wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:32 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to St
Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's the
one
just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

Why do I think of the Ying-Tong song?

I'm sorry, being of tender years, the reference is lost on me.

This should put you on the right track...
http://www.wikio.co.uk/video/ying-to...--goons-398273

--

Ian

Old June 29th 10, 08:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:47:39 +0100, Neil Williams
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:48:52 +0100, Guy Gorton
wrote:

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

Presumably, though, pronouncing it as "Santanduh" would be as
incorrect as the other examples in this thread. It is after all a
Spanish company named after a Spanish place.

Neil

Santander is an addition to the English language if it is to be used
for a British institution, which is quite distinct from the use of the
word as a place name in foreign parts.
There are many foreign owned business in this island, but most are not
known by the owner's foreign title, although some come close, such as
EDF ( Électricité de France) now with fingers in many pies.
Another French outfit has now rebranded itself as Veolia but it did
not impose Compagnie Générale des Eaux on customers of Three Valleys
Water and other companies it has owned for years.

Sorry to be on my hobbyhorse! The change from Abbey to Santander
really annoyed me, not least because of the indecent haste with which
the Abbey name was buried which meant being issued with replacement
plastic for cards not due to expire for a long time, with all the
hassle that causes for regular automated payments.

Guy Gorton
Old June 29th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

Presumably, though, pronouncing it as "Santanduh" would be as
incorrect as the other examples in this thread. It is after all a
Spanish company named after a Spanish place.

OTOH, in English we don't pronounce Paris as "Paree", many people
pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin", we've changed the name of München to
Munich, Köln to Cologne, ???????to Moscow, etc... so as far as I can see,
we can pronounce Santander any way we like in England.

Exactly! And I do. San-tandr in typical drop-the-last-bit English.

Guy Gorton
Old June 29th 10, 09:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roger Traviss" wrote in message
news:gIydnTD7XbyU1rTRnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@islandhostin g.com...
Conversely, there are cases where post-colonial guilt and PC willy-waving
mean Britons use "local" names which the natives might not themselves
use.

But at least it's reasonably close to the Spanish, unlike "bowkay" and
"larngeray" for certain French words, as I've mentioned somewhere.

Anyone mentioned Bombardier yet? (being from Quebec, the train and plane
manufacturer is not pronounced like the beer)

Bom-BAR-d'se-ay. That's how it's pronounced in Quebec.

And speaking of post-colonial guilt why do Brits insist on calling North
America "America" and ****ing off the Canadians, Mexicans, the people of
the Caribbean Islands etc., by calling us all "Americans"?

America and Americans refers ONLY to the peoples of the U.S. of A. The
continent is correctly called North America, no matter what you may think.

--
Roger Traviss

I have a mate who comes from California. When I want to wind him up I refer
to him as a South Canadian.

--

Regards

John

Old June 29th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:23:32 -0700
"Roger Traviss" wrote:
And speaking of post-colonial guilt why do Brits insist on calling North
America "America" and ****ing off the Canadians, Mexicans, the people of the
Caribbean Islands etc., by calling us all "Americans"?

Why do americans insist on calling britain "england"? You'd think with the
amount of pretend nationalism over there with your "irish" americans, "italian"
americans etc (most of whom probably couldn't find their "homeland" on a map
if you paid them) they'd be fully well aware of scotland and wales.

America and Americans refers ONLY to the peoples of the U.S. of A. The
continent is correctly called North America, no matter what you may think.

Who cares.

B2003

Old June 29th 10, 10:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:44:46 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Oh, I'd forgotten this story! I once had a US client who amused me
somewhat by referring to Basil (the herb!) As "Bay - zil". Indeed, I
was *so* taken with this, I actually asked her "Does that mean you say
'Bay - zil' Brush, too?"

Only you Ian, only you.

I aim to please!

Takes bow!

Unsurprisingly, she had no idea of what I was on about!

You don't say!

US telly is sadly lacking.......

About 10 years ago I went to visit my cousin in Florida. Her pre-teen
kids were addicted to UK Gold - reruns of Benny Hill and Are You Being
Served were their favourites (or possibly favorites). I was was...
let's say surprised. Perhaps Bayzil Brush was a cultural step too far.

Sam
Old June 29th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Neil Williams wrote:

In Milton Keynes, we have Loughton ("Loww-ton"), Woughton ("Wuffton")
and Broughton ("Brorrton"). So these things happen everywhere.

There's a Broughton (Brorton) in Salford, near where I grew up, and a
Broughton (Bro-ton) in Edinburgh where I now live. There's also a
Brougham Place (Broom or Broo-am) nearby.

Sam
Old June 29th 10, 10:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

In message
Sam Wilson wrote:

In article ,
Graham Murray wrote:

Josie writes:

On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North
Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what the
reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the USA.

If they were talking about the river that flows through Colorado or
Kansas, they'd be right, though the pronounciation changes when you get
downstream, apparently.

Not up in Leadville it doesn't (headwaters of the Arkansas river).

That's interesting - I have friends from Tennessee who moved to Arkansas
and said that where they were the river was pronounced as it is written,
not like the state. There's clearly some variation.

Sam
Old June 29th 10, 11:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Zhang Dawei" wrote

Wasn't St. Osyth in Essex pronounced "Toosey"? I am fairly sure it
was up to about 40 years ago, because I, separately, met a couple of
people from the place or near the place who told me this. I can see
it does make a kind of sense in a dialect sort of way.

It's perhaps fortunate that neither Trottiscliffe (Kent) nor Happisburgh
(Norfolk) acquired railway stations. (pronunciations are trose-lee and
hayes-burra).

Peter