London Banter

-   -   LHR to Tilbury Pier (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10948-lhr-tilbury-pier.html)

[email protected] June 30th 10 03:45 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?

Mizter T June 30th 10 06:21 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 4:45*pm, "
wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?

Afraid not. Whilst on c2c (that's the London, Tilbury & Southend route
in old money), there is a small extension of the Oyster Pay-as-you-go
area beyond zone 6 for which special fares are charged, this is only a
*small* extension - it consists of only four stations - Ockendon,
Chafford Hundred, Purfleet and Grays, so doesn't take one very much
further towards Tilbury at all - certainly not spitting distance!

See the "Oyster Rail services in London" map here - in particular the
eastern edge of it (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf

The above being reached via the TfL maps page,)

There's also this information page on the c2c website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/Using-Oyster-PAYG-on-c2c

Ticketing wise, I s'pose you're best off using Oyster PAYG for your
Tube journey into central London (or West Ham - see below), then
buying a conventional rail ticket.

The other option of buying a Day Travelcard then an extension from the
edge of zone 6 to Tilbury would I think only make sense if you were
coming back into London later that day.

One thing I am rather ignorant of is the purported ability of (at
least) some Tube stations to sell tickets to rail destinations beyond
London (e.g. in the former Network South East area) - i.e. from
Heathrow through to Tilbury. However given the manic queues that seem
to pretty much always exist at Heathrow T1,(2,)3 Tube station I'm not
sure this is necessarily the best place to try it out!

Instead head for the TfL Travel Information centre opposite the
entrance to the T1,(2,)3 Tube station, which always seems a far more
civilised and less hectic place - I don't think they'd be able to sell
any fancy through Tube & rail ticket to Tilbury, but they can
certainly top-up your Oyster card (as well as furnishing you with maps
and other advice as needed).

what would be best route?

I'd think Piccadilly line to Barons Court, District line to Tower
Hill, walk round the corner (and it literally is just that) and then
the c2c rail line from Fenchurch Street to Tilbury. From Tower Hill
you are directed around the corner and enter Fenchurch St via the
'back entrance' rather than the more magisterial front entrance.

Alternatively Picc to Green Park, Jubilee to West Ham, then pick up
the c2c line from there - however I don't think all the Tilbury bound
trains necessarily stop at West Ham.

Regardless, you'd be well advised to check whether any Tube lines
might not be running ahead of your trip - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html
(click on the "This date" link to bring up a pop-up calendar)

[email protected] June 30th 10 07:06 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving £1.10?

Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
Oyster
£2.20Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
£1.30At all other times including public holidays.
To ensure you are charged the appropriate fare you must touch on the
pink card reader on the Oyster route validator if interchanging at
Kensington Olympia or West Brompton
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
Oyster
£2.20Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
£1.30At all other times including public holidays.
To ensure you are charged the appropriate fare you must touch on the
pink card reader on the Oyster route validator if interchanging at
Gospel Oak
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
Oyster
£2.20Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
£1.30At all other times including public holidays.
To ensure you are charged the appropriate fare you must touch on the
pink card reader on the Oyster route validator if interchanging at
Stratford (London Overground platforms)
When you pay as you go, you must touch your Oyster card on a yellow
reader at the start and end of your journey. If you do not, you will
be charged a maximum cash fare.
Some journeys have been defined as requiring travel via Zone 1 and
will be charged

Mizter T June 30th 10 07:21 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 7:21 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 4:45 pm, "

wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?

Afraid not. [rest of advice snipped]

Just seen that you're thinking about a trip in July 2011, a year ahead
- that's advanced planning!

If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London then you might possibly find buying a weekly season
ticket suits you - a 7-day season from Tilbury into London is
currently GBP45.40, whilst a 7-day Travelcard from Tilbury to London
(with inclusive travel in zones 1-6) is GBP67.20.

You'd need to work out of that worked out better for you than buying
tickets on each day you wanted to travel. An Off-peak Return from
Tilbury to London is GBP8.50, whilst an inclusive Off-peak Day
Travelcard from Tilbury to zones 1-6 is GBP9.30 - both are only valid
from the 09:26 train onwards (i.e. not earlier peak trains) - whilst a
season ticket or Travelcard is valid at any time (so you could travel
in with the commuters). Not sure what the price of an Anytime Day
Travelcard is from Tilbury (i.e. valid in the morning peak), but an
Anytime Day Return is GBP9.30.

To get a season ticket you'd need a photocard - if you were to want to
do this the way I'd recommend approaching it is obtaining the
photocard and buying the season ticket/ Travelcard at Fenchurch Street
station together (so bring a passport sized photo along!).

Mizter T June 30th 10 07:29 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 8:06*pm, "
wrote:
Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving £1.10?

Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
[snip]
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
[snip]
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
[snip]

No, I don't think so. Unless you really want an excuse to go via a
more labyrinthine route!

(Also, note that not all trains to Tilbury stop at Upminster during
peak periods.)

Mizter T June 30th 10 07:32 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:
[...]

Argh, forgot to say that of course the fares above are at 2010 prices
- they'll in all likelihood go up in 2011.

Also, the National Rail season ticket calculator can be found he
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/s...ket/calculator

[email protected] June 30th 10 08:31 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:
[...]

i'm planning to take a flight from jfk to heathrow arriving 20:30
sleep near LHR then take tube to upminster then take c2c to tilbury
riverside then board ship

Graham Harrison[_2_] June 30th 10 08:33 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote in message
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?

Let me guess, you're planning to go on the Prinsendam? How much baggage
are you going to have?

[email protected] June 30th 10 08:33 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 3:29*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 8:06*pm, "

wrote:
Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving £1.10?

Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
[snip]
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
[snip]
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
[snip]

No, I don't think so. Unless you really want an excuse to go via a
more labyrinthine route!

(Also, note that not all trains to Tilbury stop at Upminster during
peak periods.)

I got the schedules they leave every half hour during the 11 am to 1
pm time frame

[email protected] June 30th 10 08:35 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:
[...]

i priced it at 2.40 for the tube 3.00 for the train well under the 10
usd i budgeted

Mizter T June 30th 10 09:00 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 9:35*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 30, 8:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:
If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London [...]
[snip stuff re season Travelcards]

*i priced it at 2.40 for the tube 3.00 for the train well under the 10
usd i budgeted

Now I understand what you're planning on doing - i.e. heading to
Tilbury for a boat, rather than staying there - I can see where you're
coming from here (metaphorically speaking, of course - I know you're
actually coming from NYC!).

Yes, an off-peak Tube journey (that's after 09:30 but before 16:00
weekdays) from Heathrow to either Tower Hill (for Fenchurch St) or
Upminster would indeed currently cost GBP2.40 (that's a zones 1-6
journey).

As you say, a single from Upminster to Tilbury is GBP3.00 - from
Fenchurch Street it would cost more than double, at GBP6.20. So by
staying on the Underground all the way to Upminster, you would indeed
save money (you'd pay for zones 6 to 1 regardless, so going out the
other side of z1 back to z6 - i.e. Upminster - is already paid for, as
it were). The quid-pro-quo is that the journey on the District line
takes a bit longer. But you also get a bit of local east London
flavour this way!

Must admit I simply hadn't considered staying on the District out to
Upminster - but actually it works out quite well.

[email protected] June 30th 10 09:06 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 5:00*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:35*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

time is no object as i have 6 hours from 930 am to board the ship

Mizter T June 30th 10 09:08 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:
Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving £1.10?

Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
[snip]
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
[snip]
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
[snip]

No, I don't think so. Unless you really want an excuse to go via a
more labyrinthine route!

(Also, note that not all trains to Tilbury stop at Upminster during
peak periods.)

I got the schedules they leave every half hour during the 11 am to 1
pm time frame

Yes, that's not a peak period so all the Tilbury-bound trains stop at
Upminster en-route.

P.S. By all means go via some esoteric route avoiding zone 1 if you
want - but they're not routes I'd advise anyone just wanting to get
from A to B to use, as they're all rather more involved and
complicated than the straightforward route through central London.
(This is a journey where staying out of z1 doesn't make a great deal
of sense!)

MIG June 30th 10 09:13 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On 30 June, 22:00, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:35*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Has the interavailability been done away with on this route?

If it wasn't for the touching out problem when passing through
Upminster, I thought it used to be OK to get on the Tilbury train
before Upminster.

Mizter T June 30th 10 09:27 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:

[...]

OK, well that's no problem then. The time penalty isn't that great -
Fenchurch Street to Upminster by c2c train takes 24 mins, whilst on
the District the journey from Tower Hill to Upminster takes between 45
and 50 mins (so says the TfL journey planner).

I suppose if you've got 6 hours you could go via a zone 1 avoiding
route if you wanted some adventure - essentially it'd have to be via
the North London Line. There'd be quite a bit of changing - a minimum
of 5 changes, I reckon - so it ain't straightforward. (One could walk
between Earl's Court and West Brompton - not far - or even from Acton
Town to South Acton - the latter being a bit more involved.) So it's
not really a route I'd recommend!

One quick last point - fares will go up in January 2011, so don't be
surprised if it costs a little bit more by summer next year!

Mizter T June 30th 10 09:35 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:

[...]

No - the c2c lines within the zones are all on the TfL PAYG fare scale
(as opposed to the NR PAYG fare scale).

If it wasn't for the touching out problem when passing through
Upminster, I thought it used to be OK to get on the Tilbury train
before Upminster.

Yes, if David wanted to he could switch from the District at Tower
Hill to Fenchurch Street for the c2c line out to Upminster, but there
he would have to alight and touch-out to avoid an unresolved journey,
then wait there for half an hour (buying his onward ticket to Tilbury
if required) for the next c2c train.

(Note of explanation - Tower Hill to Fenchurch Street is defined as
being an 'out-of-station interchange', so when using Oyster PAYG if a
passenger exits one station and re-enters the other within a certain
time limit, the journey will be regarded and charged as one continuous
journey, rather than two separate journeys. The same should also
apply, I think, for passengers using paper tickets.)

Batman55 June 30th 10 09:50 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote in message
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?

Last time I took a train from Tilbury to London (I assume Fenchurch St) the
coaches were all red, well, a blackened red, and there was a tank engine on
the front! Have things changed since? I know we had an electric train down
to Gravesend.

MaxB

Graham Harrison[_2_] June 30th 10 09:52 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:
[...]

In which case take the bus (285?) to Feltham and stay in the Travelodge (can
be as cheap as GBP9 if you get on their mailing list). It's not beautiful
but it is good value (in my view). Feltham station is adjacent so next day
take the SWT train to Waterloo, Jubilee to West Ham and C2C to Tilbury.
That part of the Jubilee is built with lifts at all stations which should
make interchange easier.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

Mizter T June 30th 10 11:26 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 10:52*pm, "Graham Harrison"

i'm planning to take a flight from jfk to heathrow arriving 20:30
sleep near LHR *then take tube to upminster then take c2c to tilbury
riverside then board ship

In which case take the bus (285?) to Feltham and stay in the Travelodge (can
be as cheap as GBP9 if you get on their mailing list). * It's not beautiful
but it is good value (in my view). * Feltham station is adjacent so next day
take the SWT train to Waterloo, Jubilee to West Ham and C2C to Tilbury.
That part of the Jubilee is built with lifts at all stations which should
make interchange easier.

285 bus from Heathrow central to Feltham, yes.

FWIW, at the current fares it would then be 1.20 for the bus, then the
next day either:

(a) 4.30 off-peak PAYG fare (as per the NR/TfL through journey
farescale) to either West Ham or Upminster (travelling on either
District line or c2c from West Ham to Upminster);
then 4.90 from West Ham to Tilbury, or (as upthread) 3.00 from
Upminster to Tilbury
(so a total of either 7.30 or 9.20).

(b) 11.30 Off-peak Day Single paper ticket for the whole through
journey - this would be valid on the Tube between Waterloo and West
Ham (or Upminster, if that's what one wanted to do).

Will bear in mind the Feltham YOI, er sorry I mean Travelodge, it
might come in handy (not really for myself but rather for others). It
can really be as cheap as GBP9? (Obviously a special offer, but still.)

[email protected] July 1st 10 03:04 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 4:33*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
wrote in message

I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?

Let me guess, you're planning to go on the Prinsendam? * How much baggage
are you going to have?

a carryon rollerboard that fits in an overhead bin on a plane

[email protected] July 1st 10 03:09 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 5:27*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 10:06*pm, "

wrote:

[...]

i figured even with a 10% rise it will be good

Rob July 1st 10 12:22 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

(b) 11.30 Off-peak Day Single paper ticket for the whole through
journey - this would be valid on the Tube between Waterloo and West
Ham (or Upminster, if that's what one wanted to do).

Will bear in mind the Feltham YOI, er sorry I mean Travelodge, it
might come in handy (not really for myself but rather for others). It
can really be as cheap as GBP9? (Obviously a special offer, but still.)

Might also be worth staying on the south side of the river - get a
train from Waterloo East to Gravesend then cross over on the Gravesend
Tilbury ferry, which drops you of near the Cruise terminal. Probably
quicker than getting to Tilbury Town, which is a way from the Cruise
terminal anyway.

http://www.thurrock.gov.uk/travel/tr...ferry_services

[email protected] July 8th 10 06:33 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

Is the transfer at Earls Court easy with either a lift or escalator? I
could catch the train from Wimbledon there too.

Mizter T July 8th 10 07:34 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jul 8, 7:33*pm, "
wrote:
Is the transfer at Earls Court easy with either a lift or escalator? I
could catch the train from Wimbledon there too.

If you're changing from Heathrow on the Piccadilly line to the
District line, the easiest places to do that at are Barons Court or
Hammersmith - received wisdom has it that Barons Court is the
preferred choice, and I'd go along with that as the station is rather
less busy than Hammersmith, plus it's quite an interesting place too
(could perhaps be described as 'quaint', though we don't really go in
for descriptors like that over here!).

The reason the interchanges at these two stations are so easy is that
it's cross-platform - i.e. the Picc and District going in the same
direction use alternate sides of the same island platform.

At Earl's Court there are lifts to interchange between the Piccadilly
and District lines, but if interchanging from District to District in
the same direction it's cross-platform.

Note that if you are planning on an extended round-the-houses route to
get from Heathrow to Upminster then you might hit problems if you're
using Oyster PAYG - the system is designed on the premise of A-to-B
journeys, and if journeys exceed a certain time-limit then things go
awry (note that the time limits are generous and fine for normal
journeys, so there's no need to hurry - but it's no good for standing
at the end of platforms watching the world go by!).

[email protected] July 12th 10 09:37 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jul 8, 3:34*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 8, 7:33*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

I'm actually looking for the quickest route from lhr to upminster
using the 2.40 1 to 6 fare

Mizter T July 12th 10 10:08 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jul 12, 10:37*pm, "
wrote:

On Jul 8, 3:34*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 8, 7:33*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

If you're going for the Heathrow to Upminster option, then the
quickest way of doing that (excluding the expensive Heathrow Express)
would be Piccadilly line to either Hammersmith or Barons Court, then a
cross platform interchange with the District line to Upminster.
(Barons Court is the preferable place to change though.) That would
currently cost GBP2.40 - that's the off-peak zones 1-6 Tube fare that
you mention.

Whilst it would be possible, and wouldn't cost any extra, for you to
get off the District line at Tower Hill, walk round the corner to
Fenchurch Street and get on a slightly faster c2c suburban train to
Upminster, you'd then *have* to get off and go and touch-out (by
exiting the automatic gates) at Upminster - if you didn't do this then
your Oyster card would get charged GBP7 (for an 'unresolved journey),
plus you'd also need to go and buy your ticket from Upminster to
Tilbury anyway - whilst this would be possible, it wouldn't be any
quicker, as you'd then have to wait at Upminster for half an hour for
the next c2c train. (The half-hourly c2c trains run from Fenchurch
Street via Upminster to Tilbury Town, ultimately ending up at Southend
Central.)

If time really was of the essence, then one would get off the District
line at Tower Hill, go to Fenchurch Street and buy a Fenchurch Street
to Tilbury Town single for GBP6.20. As we've discussed, the Upminster
to Tilbury Town single costs GBP3.00.

To compress my advice into a single long-winded sentence - go from
Heathrow to Barons Court on the Piccadilly line, change for the
District line to Upminster, exit through the automatic gates (ensuring
that you touch-out properly with your Oyster card to end your Oyster
Pay-as-you-go journey), go to the adjacent ticket office (or ticket
machine) and buy your single from Upminster to Tilbury Town, re-enter
through the gates with the paper ticket you've just bought, get on the
c2c train to Tilbury Town, get off and enjoy your cruise, and maybe
come back here and post a link to the photos of polar bears (or
whatever) you took on your jaunt!

[email protected] July 13th 10 03:09 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

Would it be possible just to add 2.40 or what ever the fare to my
oyster card?

Mizter T July 13th 10 08:17 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jul 13, 4:09*am, "
wrote:
Would it be possible just to add 2.40 or what ever the fare to my
oyster card?

Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up when
using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows), so you'd
probably have to top it up at a self-service ticket machine at
Heathrow tube station and you'd need to have the correct amount of
British coinage to do so, as they won't give change when topping up an
Oyster card with cash - note that some Tube ticket machines only take
cards, so make sure you don't join a queue for one of them!

Also there are still a few Tube ticket machines out there that don't
'do' Oyster at all and only sell paper tickets - not sure if this is
the case or not at Heathrow, but you can avoid them by looking for a
machine with the yellow Oyster pads, like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonyfalla/3089886764/

There's also a TfL London Travel Information Centre opposite the
entrance to Heathrow Tube station - I'm not sure if they have a
minimum top-up amount policy, but they're normally pretty helpful so
they might be willing to add the amount needed correct fare to your
card and give you change - I couldn't say for sure though.

MIG July 13th 10 09:08 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On 13 July, 09:17, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 13, 4:09*am, "

wrote:
Would it be possible just to add 2.40 or what ever the fare to my
oyster card?

Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up when
using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows), so you'd
probably have to top it up at a self-service ticket machine at
Heathrow tube station and you'd need to have the correct amount of
British coinage to do so, as they won't give change when topping up an
Oyster card with cash - note that some Tube ticket machines only take
cards, so make sure you don't join a queue for one of them!

Not knowing the minimum, I went to a counter to top up £3 and was told
it was a minimum of £5. I said "so I have to use the machine then?"
and then she topped up £3 anyway.

If you are down to your last fiver and need to put on £3 so that you
can get to work and need £2 to buy a sandwich at lunchtime, it's not
very user-friendly to have to top up £5 at the counter or use a
machine that won't give change.

Yes, I know: get used to diverting to a friendly shop so that LU can
close down their ticketing facilities.

[email protected] July 13th 10 09:26 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 02:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
MIG wrote:
On 13 July, 09:17, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 13, 4:09=A0am, "

wrote:
Would it be possible just to add 2.40 or what ever the fare to my
oyster card?

Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up when
using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows), so you'd
probably have to top it up at a self-service ticket machine at
Heathrow tube station and you'd need to have the correct amount of
British coinage to do so, as they won't give change when topping up an
Oyster card with cash - note that some Tube ticket machines only take
cards, so make sure you don't join a queue for one of them!

Not knowing the minimum, I went to a counter to top up =A33 and was told
it was a minimum of =A35. I said "so I have to use the machine then?"
and then she topped up =A33 anyway.

They're probably getting ready for when there are no possible journies you
can buy that are less than a fiver. If Boris has anything to do with it
that'll probably be next year.

Yes, I know: get used to diverting to a friendly shop so that LU can
close down their ticketing facilities.

If my station is anything to go by its so the staff can hang around and
chat. Virtually every morning there are 3 staff at the barrier doing nothing
and 1 in the ticket office with the obligatory queue.

B2003

Mizter T July 13th 10 09:31 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

wrote:
[...]

I don't think it's necessarily an absolute hard and fast rule - a
friend did much the same as you did recently.

Paul Scott July 13th 10 09:53 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

"Mizter T" wrote in message

I don't think it's necessarily an absolute hard and fast rule - a
friend did much the same as you did recently.

I'm sure I read (here?) that they don't apply the limit to children topping
up at ticket office windows.

Paul S

MIG July 13th 10 10:41 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On 13 July, 10:53, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

I don't think it's necessarily an absolute hard and fast rule - a
friend did much the same as you did recently.

I'm sure I read (here?) that they don't apply the limit to children topping
up at ticket office windows.

Paul S

I'll take that as a compliment from the lady concerned.

Mizter T July 13th 10 01:44 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jul 13, 11:41*am, MIG wrote:

On 13 July, 10:53, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:
I don't think it's necessarily an absolute hard and fast rule - a
friend did much the same as you did recently.

I'm sure I read (here?) that they don't apply the limit to children topping
up at ticket office windows.

I'll take that as a compliment from the lady concerned.

Ha ha, very good!

[email protected] July 13th 10 11:51 PM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up
when using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows),

Huh? Since when? I'm trying to remember when I last topped up at a ticket
office and not a ticket stop. I never top up as much as £5.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T July 14th 10 12:02 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jul 14, 12:51*am, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up
when using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows),

Huh? Since when? I'm trying to remember when I last topped up at a ticket
office and not a ticket stop. [...]

January:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13958.aspx

Though I think that's when it was applied across the network, as it's
existed beforehand at certain busy stations (London termini) for a
while (can't recall when that started).

[...] I never top up as much as £5.

I'm tempted to ask why, but as I reckon I could quite easily script
some of the likely responses (not necessarily all coming from you
though) I'm not sure I'll bother!

[email protected] July 14th 10 07:39 AM

LHR to Tilbury Pier

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Jul 14, 12:51*am, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:
Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up
when using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows),

Huh? Since when? I'm trying to remember when I last topped up at a
ticket office and not a ticket stop. [...]

January:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/13958.aspx

Though I think that's when it was applied across the network, as
it's
existed beforehand at certain busy stations (London termini) for a
while (can't recall when that started).

Hmm. I see I topped up by £1.80 in March and £1.30 in April. I think at
least one of those was made at a tube station without a murmur. It is just
possible it was done at a ticket machine, I suppose.

[...] I never top up as much as £5.

I'm tempted to ask why, but as I reckon I could quite easily script
some of the likely responses (not necessarily all coming from you
though) I'm not sure I'll bother!

I need to get receipts for the odd rail journeys I make. That is easiest
by topping up by the same amount. I mainly use my bicycle around London
these days, plus an occasional weekend bus journey for which I have a free
pass.

My Oyster balance last went to £5 when I thought I would meet the cap on a
trip to Heathrow but the plane I was meeting was diverted so I never made
the extra journeys I had planned.

--
Colin Rosenstiel