London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2005
Posts: 95
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?

  #2   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier


On Jun 30, 4:45*pm, "
wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?


Afraid not. Whilst on c2c (that's the London, Tilbury & Southend route
in old money), there is a small extension of the Oyster Pay-as-you-go
area beyond zone 6 for which special fares are charged, this is only a
*small* extension - it consists of only four stations - Ockendon,
Chafford Hundred, Purfleet and Grays, so doesn't take one very much
further towards Tilbury at all - certainly not spitting distance!

See the "Oyster Rail services in London" map here - in particular the
eastern edge of it (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf

The above being reached via the TfL maps page,)

There's also this information page on the c2c website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/Using-Oyster-PAYG-on-c2c

Ticketing wise, I s'pose you're best off using Oyster PAYG for your
Tube journey into central London (or West Ham - see below), then
buying a conventional rail ticket.

The other option of buying a Day Travelcard then an extension from the
edge of zone 6 to Tilbury would I think only make sense if you were
coming back into London later that day.

One thing I am rather ignorant of is the purported ability of (at
least) some Tube stations to sell tickets to rail destinations beyond
London (e.g. in the former Network South East area) - i.e. from
Heathrow through to Tilbury. However given the manic queues that seem
to pretty much always exist at Heathrow T1,(2,)3 Tube station I'm not
sure this is necessarily the best place to try it out!

Instead head for the TfL Travel Information centre opposite the
entrance to the T1,(2,)3 Tube station, which always seems a far more
civilised and less hectic place - I don't think they'd be able to sell
any fancy through Tube & rail ticket to Tilbury, but they can
certainly top-up your Oyster card (as well as furnishing you with maps
and other advice as needed).


what would be best route?


I'd think Piccadilly line to Barons Court, District line to Tower
Hill, walk round the corner (and it literally is just that) and then
the c2c rail line from Fenchurch Street to Tilbury. From Tower Hill
you are directed around the corner and enter Fenchurch St via the
'back entrance' rather than the more magisterial front entrance.

Alternatively Picc to Green Park, Jubilee to West Ham, then pick up
the c2c line from there - however I don't think all the Tilbury bound
trains necessarily stop at West Ham.

Regardless, you'd be well advised to check whether any Tube lines
might not be running ahead of your trip - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html
(click on the "This date" link to bring up a pop-up calendar)
  #3   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2005
Posts: 95
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving 1.10?

Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
Oyster
2.20Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
1.30At all other times including public holidays.
To ensure you are charged the appropriate fare you must touch on the
pink card reader on the Oyster route validator if interchanging at
Kensington Olympia or West Brompton
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
Oyster
2.20Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
1.30At all other times including public holidays.
To ensure you are charged the appropriate fare you must touch on the
pink card reader on the Oyster route validator if interchanging at
Gospel Oak
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
Oyster
2.20Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.
1.30At all other times including public holidays.
To ensure you are charged the appropriate fare you must touch on the
pink card reader on the Oyster route validator if interchanging at
Stratford (London Overground platforms)
When you pay as you go, you must touch your Oyster card on a yellow
reader at the start and end of your journey. If you do not, you will
be charged a maximum cash fare.
Some journeys have been defined as requiring travel via Zone 1 and
will be charged
  #4   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier


On Jun 30, 7:21 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 4:45 pm, "

wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?


Afraid not. [rest of advice snipped]


Just seen that you're thinking about a trip in July 2011, a year ahead
- that's advanced planning!

If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London then you might possibly find buying a weekly season
ticket suits you - a 7-day season from Tilbury into London is
currently GBP45.40, whilst a 7-day Travelcard from Tilbury to London
(with inclusive travel in zones 1-6) is GBP67.20.

You'd need to work out of that worked out better for you than buying
tickets on each day you wanted to travel. An Off-peak Return from
Tilbury to London is GBP8.50, whilst an inclusive Off-peak Day
Travelcard from Tilbury to zones 1-6 is GBP9.30 - both are only valid
from the 09:26 train onwards (i.e. not earlier peak trains) - whilst a
season ticket or Travelcard is valid at any time (so you could travel
in with the commuters). Not sure what the price of an Anytime Day
Travelcard is from Tilbury (i.e. valid in the morning peak), but an
Anytime Day Return is GBP9.30.

To get a season ticket you'd need a photocard - if you were to want to
do this the way I'd recommend approaching it is obtaining the
photocard and buying the season ticket/ Travelcard at Fenchurch Street
station together (so bring a passport sized photo along!).
  #5   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier


On Jun 30, 8:06*pm, "
wrote:
Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving 1.10?

Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
[snip]
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
[snip]
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
[snip]


No, I don't think so. Unless you really want an excuse to go via a
more labyrinthine route!

(Also, note that not all trains to Tilbury stop at Upminster during
peak periods.)


  #6   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier


On Jun 30, 8:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 7:21 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 4:45 pm, "
wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?


Afraid not. [rest of advice snipped]


Just seen that you're thinking about a trip in July 2011, a year ahead
- that's advanced planning!

If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London then you might possibly find buying a weekly season
ticket suits you - a 7-day season from Tilbury into London is
currently GBP45.40, whilst a 7-day Travelcard from Tilbury to London
(with inclusive travel in zones 1-6) is GBP67.20.

You'd need to work out of that worked out better for you than buying
tickets on each day you wanted to travel. An Off-peak Return from
Tilbury to London is GBP8.50, whilst an inclusive Off-peak Day
Travelcard from Tilbury to zones 1-6 is GBP9.30 - both are only valid
from the 09:26 train onwards (i.e. not earlier peak trains) - whilst a
season ticket or Travelcard is valid at any time (so you could travel
in with the commuters). Not sure what the price of an Anytime Day
Travelcard is from Tilbury (i.e. valid in the morning peak), but an
Anytime Day Return is GBP9.30.
[snip]


Argh, forgot to say that of course the fares above are at 2010 prices
- they'll in all likelihood go up in 2011.

Also, the National Rail season ticket calculator can be found he
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/s...ket/calculator
  #7   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2005
Posts: 95
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 3:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 7:21 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 30, 4:45 pm, "


wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?


Afraid not. [rest of advice snipped]


Just seen that you're thinking about a trip in July 2011, a year ahead
- that's advanced planning!

If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London then you might possibly find buying a weekly season
ticket suits you - a 7-day season from Tilbury into London is
currently GBP45.40, whilst a 7-day Travelcard from Tilbury to London
(with inclusive travel in zones 1-6) is GBP67.20.

You'd need to work out of that worked out better for you than buying
tickets on each day you wanted to travel. An Off-peak Return from
Tilbury to London is GBP8.50, whilst an inclusive Off-peak Day
Travelcard from Tilbury to zones 1-6 is GBP9.30 - both are only valid
from the 09:26 train onwards (i.e. not earlier peak trains) - whilst a
season ticket or Travelcard is valid at any time (so you could travel
in with the commuters). Not sure what the price of an Anytime Day
Travelcard is from Tilbury (i.e. valid in the morning peak), but an
Anytime Day Return is GBP9.30.

To get a season ticket you'd need a photocard - if you were to want to
do this the way I'd recommend approaching it is obtaining the
photocard and buying the season ticket/ Travelcard at Fenchurch Street
station together (so bring a passport sized photo along!).


i'm planning to take a flight from jfk to heathrow arriving 20:30
sleep near LHR then take tube to upminster then take c2c to tilbury
riverside then board ship
  #8   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2008
Posts: 278
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier


wrote in message
...
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ? what would be
best route?


Let me guess, you're planning to go on the Prinsendam? How much baggage
are you going to have?

  #9   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2005
Posts: 95
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 3:29*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 8:06*pm, "

wrote:
Is it worth it to save the extra money to use this from Heathrow
Terminals 123 [London Underground] to Upminster saving 1.10?


Alternative oyster single fares:
Route 1: Avoiding Zone 1 via any of Kensington Olympia, Shepherds Bush
or West Brompton
[snip]
Route 2: Avoiding Zone 1 via Gospel Oak
[snip]
Route 3: Avoiding Zone 1 via Stratford (London Overground)
[snip]


No, I don't think so. Unless you really want an excuse to go via a
more labyrinthine route!

(Also, note that not all trains to Tilbury stop at Upminster during
peak periods.)


I got the schedules they leave every half hour during the 11 am to 1
pm time frame
  #10   Report Post  
Old June 30th 10, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2005
Posts: 95
Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

On Jun 30, 3:32*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 30, 8:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:





On Jun 30, 7:21 pm, Mizter T wrote:


On Jun 30, 4:45 pm, "
wrote:
I want to go in july 2011. i have an oyster card with no value bought
in dec 2008 . Can I use this card to get to tilbury ?


Afraid not. [rest of advice snipped]


Just seen that you're thinking about a trip in July 2011, a year ahead
- that's advanced planning!


If you were thinking of staying in Tilbury and then making several
trips into London then you might possibly find buying a weekly season
ticket suits you - a 7-day season from Tilbury into London is
currently GBP45.40, whilst a 7-day Travelcard from Tilbury to London
(with inclusive travel in zones 1-6) is GBP67.20.


You'd need to work out of that worked out better for you than buying
tickets on each day you wanted to travel. An Off-peak Return from
Tilbury to London is GBP8.50, whilst an inclusive Off-peak Day
Travelcard from Tilbury to zones 1-6 is GBP9.30 - both are only valid
from the 09:26 train onwards (i.e. not earlier peak trains) - whilst a
season ticket or Travelcard is valid at any time (so you could travel
in with the commuters). Not sure what the price of an Anytime Day
Travelcard is from Tilbury (i.e. valid in the morning peak), but an
Anytime Day Return is GBP9.30.
[snip]


Argh, forgot to say that of course the fares above are at 2010 prices
- they'll in all likelihood go up in 2011.

Also, the National Rail season ticket calculator can be found hehttp://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/s...ket/calculator


i priced it at 2.40 for the tube 3.00 for the train well under the 10
usd i budgeted


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Closest rail station Tilbury [email protected] London Transport 1 July 6th 11 07:13 AM
Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5 [email protected] London Transport 9 August 13th 08 08:18 PM
Waverley at Tower Pier Saturday Peter Heather London Transport 0 September 22nd 06 05:06 PM
Greenland Pier John Rowland London Transport 2 April 14th 06 06:43 PM
LHR free fare zone [email protected] London Transport 2 July 7th 05 12:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017