Old July 6th 10, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default S Stock

1506 wrote on 06 July 2010 22:01:07 ...
On Jul 6, 8:34 am, Steve ] wrote:
In message
, Paul
writes

So have they started hauling the 67 stock off for scrap yet?

Several must have gone by now because there is not the space to
receive 09 stock and retain all the 67s. I looked on the "District
Dave" board to see if there was some sort of tally being kept but
nothing there.

Latest Underground News from LURS advises:

Acton Works to Booths, Rotherham for scrap -

4038 4118 10th (May)
3018 3138 11th
4018 4138 12th
3038 3118 13th

After being moved Northumberland Park to Acton Works on 5th.

How sad, the old victoria Line stock was comfortable and, in its time,
technically advanced. From what I read here the replacement stock
lacks its level of comfort.

On the contrary, it manages to stop at the right place every time
without the driver having to use the emergency brake, which makes it
much more comfortable for standing passengers than 67 stock. And having
all longitudinal seating means more space for standing passengers, so
that's a comfort benefit too. I can't comment on seat comfort as
they're always full up when I travel, which I suppose means they can't
be that bad. :-)
--
Richard J.

Old July 6th 10, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/07/2010 12:47, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Jul 6, 9:30 am, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:46:19 +0100

Paul wrote:
No they haven't. There are more of them running each week. Running
numbers 234, 236, 271 and 272 certainly have them on a regular (daily?)
basis and they turn up on other duties. I travelled on a 09 stock this
morning (236) and let one go this evening at Victoria (272). As it left
n/b a 09 stock was arriving on the s/b.

Train 11 is in build and I believe trains 03 to 10 are certainly at
Northumberland Park for service. I read a report today that said that
their reliability is also improving.

I need to correct the reference to train 11 - it is apparently being
commissioned.

When I went on one a few weeks back they had serious trouble with the doors.
Almost got taken out of service.

I have been kicked off one once for that. Whenever there is a
pregnant pause before the doors close I always wonder whether we're
actually going to make a move - not the right thought to have but
there does seem to be a lot of attention being paid to the door
closure process by drivers and platform staff.

There is normally a pregnant pause at KXSP on the Vic. I guess that's to
adjust schedules?
Old July 6th 10, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/07/2010 16:34, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message
, Paul
Corfield writes

So have they started hauling the 67 stock off for scrap yet?

Several must have gone by now because there is not the space to
receive 09 stock and retain all the 67s. I looked on the "District
Dave" board to see if there was some sort of tally being kept but
nothing there.

Latest Underground News from LURS advises:

Acton Works to Booths, Rotherham for scrap -

4038 4118 10th (May)
3018 3138 11th
4018 4138 12th
3038 3118 13th

After being moved Northumberland Park to Acton Works on 5th.

What about for the Island Line? Any going that way?
Old July 7th 10, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

What about for the Island Line? Any going that way?

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months ago.

Paul S

Old July 7th 10, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:16:19 +0100
" wrote:
There is normally a pregnant pause at KXSP on the Vic. I guess that's to
adjust schedules?

There are plenty all around the system. LU should change their moto to
Never Knowingly Early. Its fine for a train to be late but god forbid its
running slightly early - then you'll be sitting at a platform for 2 minutes
going nowhere.

B2003

Old July 7th 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jul 7, 3:19*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

What about for the Island Line? Any going that way?

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months ago.

Given that the IoW now routinely seems to utilize ex-TfL stock one has
to wonder why they do not go ahead and install a fourth rail. It
would save converting the trains after each purchase.

It will be sad to see the all over red stock retire.

Old July 7th 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"1506" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 3:19 am, "Paul Scott"

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months ago.

Given that the IoW now routinely seems to utilize ex-TfL stock one has
to wonder why they do not go ahead and install a fourth rail. It
would save converting the trains after each purchase.

Cheaper to convert the trains, than provide an entire LU style pos/neg power
supply, I expect

It will be sad to see the all over red stock retire.

Presumably the new stock can be given whatever paint scheme they prefer?
The all over LT red is a comparatively recent change anyway?

Paul S

Old July 7th 10, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"1506" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 3:19 am, "Paul Scott"

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months
ago.

Given that the IoW now routinely seems to utilize ex-TfL stock one has
to wonder why they do not go ahead and install a fourth rail. It
would save converting the trains after each purchase.

Cheaper to convert the trains, than provide an entire LU style pos/neg
power supply, I expect

It will be sad to see the all over red stock retire.

Presumably the new stock can be given whatever paint scheme they prefer?
The all over LT red is a comparatively recent change anyway?

When the 38 stock went to the IoW it was given Network SouthEast livery. It
then had a spell in dinosaur livery before going all over red.

Peter

Old July 7th 10, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/07/2010 19:48, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:57:53 +0100, "Richard J."
wrote:

wrote on 06 July 2010 22:01:07 ...

How sad, the old victoria Line stock was comfortable and, in its time,
technically advanced. From what I read here the replacement stock
lacks its level of comfort.

I don't really like the new stock - I suppose I should like it but they
are a real disappointment [1]. The seats are too narrow, the seat
"cushions" have no cushioning and they are far too hard. The tip up
seats are little better - having had to endure one the other evening. I
pointed all this out at the mock up visit at Euston but clearly no one
took any notice.

There are also silly things like the windows are far too small and don't
stretch the entire length of the seating bay - this is a really
retrograde step in my view. Given the number of cross platform
interchanges on the Vic Line it can be important to be able to see the
opposite platform but the end seats in every bay have a wretched panel
opposite them rather than a window.

I also noticed the other morning that the doors really move back and
forth in their runners when the train moves at speed. Given the trains
are not running at full power I wonder if the doors will be sucked out
of their runners when the full capability of the stock and control
system is exploited.

On the contrary, it manages to stop at the right place every time
without the driver having to use the emergency brake, which makes it
much more comfortable for standing passengers than 67 stock.

Not in my experience - one had to crawl along a few millimetres at Seven
Sisters the other morning. I'm sure I've had other trains "micro
adjust" their stopping point.

Are the 09s being manually operated at the moment or are they on autopilot?
Old July 7th 10, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/07/2010 11:19, Paul Scott wrote:

wrote in message

What about for the Island Line? Any going that way?

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months ago.

Paul S

What's the timeframe on that?