Old July 8th 10, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default S Stock

On 8 July, 16:48, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Jul 8, 12:23 pm, Matt Forbes wrote:
I've never understood why they didn't grab some 1983 stock when they
had the chance. Decades newer than what they've got and the single
leaf doors wouldn't have been a problem on the IOW.

Presumably because at the time, the (at the time, recently
refurbished) stock was still fit for purpose, and replacing it with
the ex-Jubilee stock would have been a false economy. *Perhaps if
there were six or seven units of 83 stock available now, then it might
be worthwhile, but with 69 stock becoming available soon, I think
there's a strong possibility that some of them will head to Grockle-
Central, rather than straight to CF Booth's tin-can factory.

Wonder how much TfL will ask for them from the Island Line? (And IIRC
it is the Island Line that would be buying them, as opposed to a Rosco
- correct?)

Not necessarily, the 38 stock currently in use was owned by a ROSCO (HSBC?)
until just before the last franchise change, when they were sold to SWT for
a nominal sum.

Looking at other posts in the thread, I can't quite see why there is all the
debate about 67 or 73 stock. SWT's last webchat had this to say:

Q21. Have you considered replacing Island Line trains with new stock added
to an LU order...

A. *We will replace the rolling stock on the island line in the next 5 to 7
years. ... *We are planning to use Piccadilly Line rolling stock. (ie 73
stock)

Followed later by:

Q142. *Paraphrased: *I thought you would be using 72 stock because etc etc..

A. *Rolling stock for the Island Line will be in a two car formation.
Before using replacement stock we will refurbish the units to be fit for the
Island Line.

Of course, the last web chat was before TfL took back control of
Tubelines, which looks like leading to postponement of the new
Piccadilly line stock. So SWT might need to come up with a new plan.

Old July 8th 10, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Andy" wrote in message

A. We will replace the rolling stock on the island line in the next 5 to
7
years. ... We are planning to use Piccadilly Line rolling stock. (ie 73
stock)

Of course, the last web chat was before TfL took back control of
Tubelines, which looks like leading to postponement of the new
Piccadilly line stock. So SWT might need to come up with a new plan.

Sure - but '5-7 years' still gives them a few years slack.

Still can't see any 67s being involved though...

Paul S

Old July 8th 10, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On 8 July, 13:57, Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 05:34:03 -0700 (PDT), Matt Forbes

wrote:

I presume you mean 1967 stock. *I assume that driving it in purely
manual mode in short formation won't be a problem?

I did. *Oops!

The stock earmarked for the Island Line is either 1972 or 1973 stock.
The 1972 stock is almost identical to 1967 stock but has manual diving
controls.

But when with the 72/73 stock be replaced? *I thought that they were
up for replacement around 2015, and surely by that time the IoW fleet
will be falling to bits. *With the ex-Victoria vehicles becoming
available somewhat sooner, I'd have thought that they would be used.

Sorry, I am just repeating what I have heard and read. *I don't know
the reasoning behind it, but perhaps the cost of installing manual
controls and the extra age of the 1967 stock count against it?

Some of the 1972 stock was actually built as late as 1979, so perhaps
those are the vehicles that have been selected? *That would make them
a decade younger than even the last produced 1967 stock.

It definitely wasn't. It was transferred to the Jubilee in 1979 but
only after running on the Northern and Bakerloo for years.
Old July 8th 10, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message
, Andy
writes

A. *Rolling stock for the Island Line will be in a two car formation.
Before using replacement stock we will refurbish the units to be fit for the
Island Line.

Of course, the last web chat was before TfL took back control of
Tubelines, which looks like leading to postponement of the new
Piccadilly line stock. So SWT might need to come up with a new plan.

Quite, I'm hearing that a 'refresh' might now be on the cards to eke
them out to 2020. I wonder if SWT will be so keen then?
Old July 8th 10, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message
, Andy
writes

A. Rolling stock for the Island Line will be in a two car formation.
Before using replacement stock we will refurbish the units to be fit for
the
Island Line.

Of course, the last web chat was before TfL took back control of
Tubelines, which looks like leading to postponement of the new
Piccadilly line stock. So SWT might need to come up with a new plan.

Quite, I'm hearing that a 'refresh' might now be on the cards to eke them
out to 2020. I wonder if SWT will be so keen then?

Indeed, and a 2 car '73 stock is something I'd be interested to see...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old July 8th 10, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Andy" wrote in message
Another consideration is that there are 7 x 4 car units (plus 3 extra
cars) of 1972 Mk I stock which were converted (in the late 1980s /
early 1990s) to run in the middle of 1967 trains. These units were
split in half and each half coupled to 1967 stock half unit. This put
the 1967 stock cabs (with the ATO equipment) at the outer ends and the
1972 stock cabs (with the manual equipment) in the middle of an 8 car
train.

i.e.
from DM(67)-T(67)-T(67)-DM(67) + DM(72)-T(72)-T(72)-DM(72)
to DM(67)-T(67)-T(72)-exDM(72) + exDM(72)-T(72)-T(67)-DM(67)

A possibility is that these units will be the trains for the Island
Line, reformed back to 4 car 1972 stock trains. I believe that the
driving equipment is still used for shunting when reforming trains in
the depot.

Wasn't there also talk of sending some 1972 stock to augment the Bakerloo
line fleet?

John

Old July 8th 10, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jul 8, 7:16*pm, "John C" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

There was, but those would have been extra 7 car Mk 1 trains from the
Northern line fleet (in the standard formation of a 4 car unit and a 3
car unit). The Bakerloo has already gained 4 extra trains rebuilt from
these Mk I trains, converted in the mid 1990s. Most of the spare Mk I
trains have now been disposed of.
Old July 8th 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 7, 5:29*pm, "
wrote:
On 07/07/2010 21:52, Paul Scott wrote:

wrote in message
On 07/07/2010 11:19, Paul Scott wrote:

What about for the Island Line? Any going that way?

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months
ago.

What's the timeframe on that?

They didn't say, I guess it'll depend purely on when the stock gets
replaced on LU - so whenever the 2014 (???) stock starts arriving in
large numbers?

Paul S

That's five to six years. Will the 38s hold out that long? I've heard
that they are really not in great shape.

Where is the Island Line?
Old July 8th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jul 8, 11:36*am, "
wrote:

wrote in message
On 07/07/2010 11:19, Paul Scott wrote:

What about for the Island Line? Any going that way?

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months
ago.

What's the timeframe on that?

They didn't say, I guess it'll depend purely on when the stock gets
replaced on LU - so whenever the 2014 (???) stock starts arriving in
large numbers?

Paul S

That's five to six years. Will the 38s hold out that long? I've heard
that they are really not in great shape.

Where is the Island Line?

The Isle of Wight.
Old July 8th 10, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"1506" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 11:36 am, "
wrote:

wrote in message
On 07/07/2010 11:19, Paul Scott wrote:

What about for the Island Line? Any going that way?

No - 'Island line' is to get 73 stock, according to SWT a few months
ago.

What's the timeframe on that?

They didn't say, I guess it'll depend purely on when the stock gets
replaced on LU - so whenever the 2014 (???) stock starts arriving in
large numbers?

Paul S

That's five to six years. Will the 38s hold out that long? I've heard
that they are really not in great shape.

Where is the Island Line?

The Isle of Wight.

This stuff innit.

http://patrickoneill204.fotopic.net/p58004145.html