London Banter

-   -   Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10963-kings-cross-main-line-victoria.html)

Roland Perry August 24th 10 12:46 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
01:47:19 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly platforms
would be quickest).

Unless you take a chance on one of the short escalators being fixed
and walkable down. In fact, I think I'd try that and, if unlucky, get
the Victoria to Euston and change there. Still a better than
following the direction signs half way to Finsbury Park and back.

I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so going
via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk inside the
Euston passageways.

Peter Smyth August 24th 10 05:46 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
,
at 01:47:19 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly
platforms
would be quickest).

Unless you take a chance on one of the short escalators being fixed
and walkable down. In fact, I think I'd try that and, if unlucky, get
the Victoria to Euston and change there. Still a better than
following the direction signs half way to Finsbury Park and back.

I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so
going via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk
inside the Euston passageways.

Actually it is cross platform interchange in that direction (SB Victoria
to SB Bank branch)

Peter Smyth

MIG August 24th 10 09:15 PM

On 24 Aug, 18:46, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
[...]

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

But even if one was going the other way on the Northern, it's a fairly
short walk over a bridge at the western end of the Victoria/Northern
platforms at Euston; no need to go up the escalators and back.

[email protected] August 24th 10 10:51 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

So, don't take the long walk at the Cross! Turn left at the bottom of the
stairs past the end of platform 8 and you get into the old ticket hall and
the top of the Victoria Line escalators. Simple. Directions signs are to
confuse the confusible.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry August 25th 10 06:59 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message , at 17:51:44
on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, remarked:

So, don't take the long walk at the Cross! Turn left at the bottom of the
stairs past the end of platform 8 and you get into the old ticket hall and
the top of the Victoria Line escalators. Simple.

I think you have missed the point - we are trying to get to the Northern
Line, not the Victoria! And starting from the Circle Line platforms,
allegedly possible without going through a barrier. The Khyber pass gets
you to the top of the old Victoria Line escalators (inside the barriers)
but from there the Northern is somewhat inaccessible.

Directions signs are to confuse the confusible.

I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass, about
getting to the Northern?

Roland Perry August 25th 10 09:01 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
14:15:46 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so
going via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk
inside the Euston passageways.

Actually it is cross platform interchange in that direction (SB Victoria
to SB Bank branch)

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

But even if one was going the other way on the Northern, it's a fairly
short walk over a bridge at the western end of the Victoria/Northern
platforms at Euston; no need to go up the escalators and back.

Thanks both. I wonder what the long walk I'm remembering is - perhaps
Charing Cross Branch northbound to Victoria Line northbound.

[email protected] August 25th 10 10:32 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
,
[...]

That is a long walk, yes. The principle of adding the Victoria Line to
Euston was the cross-platform interchange with the Northern Line City
branch then the quieter one to which they wanted Victoria Line transfers
to be made. That was then, of course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] August 25th 10 10:32 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
17:51:44 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010,
remarked:

So, don't take the long walk at the Cross! Turn left at the bottom of
the stairs past the end of platform 8 and you get into the old ticket
hall and the top of the Victoria Line escalators. Simple.

I think you have missed the point - we are trying to get to the
Northern Line, not the Victoria! And starting from the Circle Line
platforms, allegedly possible without going through a barrier. The
Khyber pass gets you to the top of the old Victoria Line escalators
(inside the barriers) but from there the Northern is somewhat
inaccessible.

Directions signs are to confuse the confusible.

I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass,
about getting to the Northern?

I thought the current route was via the Piccadilly escalator. Is the
access from the bottom to the Northern actually blocked off?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry August 25th 10 02:35 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message , at 05:32:43
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:
I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass,
about getting to the Northern?

I thought the current route was via the Piccadilly escalator. Is the
access from the bottom to the Northern actually blocked off?

When I looked (about three weeks ago) the short escalators for the
Northern were all going "up", and the sets of stairs had gates drawn
across them.

MIG August 25th 10 09:47 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On 25 Aug, 15:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 05:32:43
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:

I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass,
about getting to the Northern?

I thought the current route was via the Piccadilly escalator. Is the
access from the bottom to the Northern actually blocked off?

When I looked (about three weeks ago) the short escalators for the
Northern were all going "up", and the sets of stairs had gates drawn
across them.

It's worth a try though. The other weekend I took a chance on one of
the short escalators being fixed, and it turned out that it was.
Another time it was fixed, but the spoilsports had put a plastic
barrier across.