London Banter

-   -   Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10963-kings-cross-main-line-victoria.html)

Brian Watson[_2_] July 7th 10 12:59 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

I have to take my 85 year-old mother through Kings Cross next Monday and
don't think she will be up to the subterranean route march that seems the
recommended signed route from the main line station's forecourt to the
southbound Victoria Line.

That one suggests going down the steps to the right of the exit from the
concourse of the mainline station and following a succession of very long
tunnels.

Is there a short cut that equates to "arrive by Victoria Line train and
follow signs to Way Out" in the other direction?

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Paul July 7th 10 06:48 AM

On 7 July, 01:59, "Brian Watson" wrote:
I have to take my 85 year-old mother through Kings Cross next Monday and
don't think she will be up to the subterranean route march that seems the
recommended signed route from the main line station's forecourt to the
southbound Victoria Line.

That one suggests going down the steps to the right of the exit from the
concourse of the mainline station and following a succession of very long
tunnels.

Is there a short cut that equates to "arrive by Victoria Line train and
follow signs to Way Out" in the other direction?

--
Brian
"Fight like the Devil, die like a gentleman."www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

igno
When you arrive at Kings Cross, you can take the official entrance to
the tube inside the station, but instead of turning right at the
bottom of the stairs and following the official route to the Victoria
line, turn LEFT. This will bring you to the old tube ticket hall where
you can go through the barriers and down the escalators to the
Victoria line. This is MUCH quicker than the official route. Why LUL
route passengers the long way round I don't know, but since when did
it matter to them

Brian Watson[_2_] July 7th 10 07:42 AM

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks VERY much, Paul.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

[email protected] July 7th 10 08:25 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article ,
(Brian Watson) wrote:

I have to take my 85 year-old mother through Kings Cross next
Monday and don't think she will be up to the subterranean route
march that seems the recommended signed route from the main line
station's forecourt to the southbound Victoria Line.

That one suggests going down the steps to the right of the exit
from the concourse of the mainline station and following a
succession of very long tunnels.

Is there a short cut that equates to "arrive by Victoria Line train
and follow signs to Way Out" in the other direction?

I would go down the steps by the side of the concourse at the end of
platform 8. Then turn left (and not right as signed) and follow the old
route via the original Victoria Line escalators. There is a lift by the
steps.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] July 7th 10 08:43 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article
,
(Paul) wrote:

When you arrive at Kings Cross, you can take the official entrance to
the tube inside the station, but instead of turning right at the
bottom of the stairs and following the official route to the Victoria
line, turn LEFT. This will bring you to the old tube ticket hall where
you can go through the barriers and down the escalators to the
Victoria line. This is MUCH quicker than the official route. Why LUL
route passengers the long way round I don't know, but since when did
it matter to them

They signpost to confuse the confusable. That divides the flow between the
two routes. It's standard practice.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_2_] July 7th 10 08:49 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On 07/07/2010 09:43, wrote:
In article
,
(Paul) wrote:

When you arrive at Kings Cross, you can take the official entrance to
the tube inside the station, but instead of turning right at the
bottom of the stairs and following the official route to the Victoria
line, turn LEFT. This will bring you to the old tube ticket hall where
you can go through the barriers and down the escalators to the
Victoria line. This is MUCH quicker than the official route. Why LUL
route passengers the long way round I don't know, but since when did
it matter to them

They signpost to confuse the confusable. That divides the flow between the
two routes. It's standard practice.

I thought standard practice was to ensure the escape routes were as
short as possible, and to send entrants the long way round to stop them
holding up escapees.

Paul July 7th 10 08:49 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On 7 July, 09:43, wrote:
In article
,

(Paul) wrote:
When you arrive at Kings Cross, you can take the official entrance to
the tube inside the station, but instead of turning right at the
bottom of the stairs and following the official route to the Victoria
line, turn LEFT. This will bring you to the old tube ticket hall where
you can go through the barriers and down the escalators to the
Victoria line. *This is MUCH quicker than the official route. Why LUL
route passengers the long way round I don't know, but since when did
it matter to them

They signpost to confuse the confusable. That divides the flow between the
two routes. It's standard practice.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

It is rather ironic that the "accessible" (to wheelchairs) route to
and from the Victoria line involves a much longer walk. Those
disabled people who are not in wheelchairs but do have difficulty
walking would find the shorter route more convenient.

Roland Perry July 7th 10 11:19 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
23:48:35 on Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Paul remarked:
When you arrive at Kings Cross, you can take the official entrance to
the tube inside the station,

Which also has a lift.

but instead of turning right at the
bottom of the stairs and following the official route to the Victoria
line, turn LEFT. This will bring you to the old tube ticket hall where
you can go through the barriers

And there's a short lift on the far side if the steps are an issue.

and down the escalators to the
Victoria line. This is MUCH quicker than the official route. Why LUL
route passengers the long way round I don't know, but since when did
it matter to them

It's probably to try to reduce the congestion in the old ticket hall.

[email protected] July 7th 10 02:04 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On 7 July, 01:59, "Brian Watson" wrote:
I have to take my 85 year-old mother through Kings Cross next Monday and
don't think she will be up to the subterranean route march that seems the
recommended signed route from the main line station's forecourt to the
southbound Victoria Line.

1.) Find somewhere for her to sit down;

2.) Queue for taxi;

3.) Ask cab driver to wait until you retrieve mother;

4.) Retrieve mother;

5.) Enjoy the above-ground view from the taxi;

6.) Simples.

--
gordon

Lorenzo July 7th 10 07:59 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

1.) Find somewhere for her to sit down;

2.) Queue for taxi;

3.) Ask cab driver to wait until you retrieve mother;

4.) Retrieve mother;

Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

Of course if every one did this it would be fairly chaotic, and should
be generally discouraged, but it would be excusable for your 85 year
old mother.

Lorenzo.

Basil Jet[_2_] July 7th 10 08:59 PM

On 07/07/2010 20:59, Lorenzo wrote:
1.) Find somewhere for her to sit down;

2.) Queue for taxi;

3.) Ask cab driver to wait until you retrieve mother;

4.) Retrieve mother;

Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

I'm fairly certain he would mind!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...33. 14,,3,1.4

Paul July 8th 10 06:36 AM

On 7 July, 21:59, Basil Jet wrote:
On 07/07/2010 20:59, Lorenzo wrote:

1.) Find somewhere for her to sit down;

2.) Queue for taxi;

3.) Ask cab driver to wait until you retrieve mother;

4.) Retrieve mother;

* Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

I'm fairly certain he would mind!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...9&spn=0,0.0048...

Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

Ganesh Sittampalam July 8th 10 07:33 AM

On 8 July, 07:36, Paul wrote:
[...]

That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

Ganesh

Paul Terry[_2_] July 8th 10 08:11 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
,
Lorenzo writes

Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

In my experience, taxis will not pick-up anyone from the drop-off point
in York Way.
--
Paul Terry

Mizter T July 8th 10 08:32 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On Jul 8, 9:11*am, Paul Terry wrote:

In message
,
Lorenzo writes

Alternatively exit the station by the openning on the east side, near
platform 0 and 1, on York Way. This is where taxis set down for the
sation. You could ask a cab driver here to take you wherever it is you
need to go. I'm fairly certain he would not mind, and that you would
not have to queue or even wait long.

In my experience, taxis will not pick-up anyone from the drop-off point
in York Way.

Quite - taxi drivers don't really break rank when it comes to
situations like this.

Roland Perry July 8th 10 11:52 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
00:33:56 on Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Ganesh Sittampalam
remarked:
Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". *However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

What's happened to the short flight of stairs to the Northern Line from
the bottom of the Victoria Line escalators?

Phil Richards July 8th 10 10:15 PM

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:

That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

IIRC there are three escalators. Last time I changed from the Northern
Line to the Victoria line one was switched and taped off. Would be
interesting to see what happens by ducking under the tape or opening it
up & walking down... Far, far quicker than the long detour now in place...

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:

MIG July 9th 10 06:33 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On 8 July, 23:15, Phil Richards
wrote:
Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

IIRC there are three escalators. Last time I changed from the Northern
Line to the Victoria line one was switched and taped off. Would be
interesting to see what happens by ducking under the tape or opening it
up & walking down... Far, far quicker than the long detour now in place...

The best way to get into the Northern line at Kings Cross is to ignore
the sign that points to the Underground (takes you most of the way
back to Yorkshire on foot) and go to the street at the front of the
station where the LU entrance really is.

Then go into the Victoria Line and get a train to Euston and get the
Northern there. If it's southbound you want, it's an easy interchange.

Brian Watson[_2_] July 9th 10 08:43 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

wrote in message
In article ,
(Brian Watson) wrote:

I have to take my 85 year-old mother through Kings Cross next
Monday and don't think she will be up to the subterranean route
march that seems the recommended signed route from the main line
station's forecourt to the southbound Victoria Line.

That one suggests going down the steps to the right of the exit
from the concourse of the mainline station and following a
succession of very long tunnels.

Is there a short cut that equates to "arrive by Victoria Line train
and follow signs to Way Out" in the other direction?

I would go down the steps by the side of the concourse at the end of
platform 8. Then turn left (and not right as signed) and follow the old
route via the original Victoria Line escalators. There is a lift by the
steps.

Thanks Colin.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Ganesh Sittampalam July 9th 10 06:49 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On Jul 8, 11:15*pm, Phil Richards
wrote:

IIRC there are three escalators. Last time I changed from the Northern
Line to the Victoria line one was switched and taped off. Would be
interesting to see what happens by ducking under the tape or opening it
up & walking down... Far, far quicker than the long detour now in place....

I normally only see them at rush hour when they are normally all in
operation.

Ganesh

Ganesh Sittampalam July 9th 10 06:51 PM

On Jul 8, 12:52*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

That goes to the top of the escalators that are currently all in up/
off mode.

There are also some stairs+tunnel+stairs from near the Piccadilly line
to the southbound Northern line platform, but those are closed off at
the moment.

Ganesh

martin July 11th 10 01:06 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On Jul 8, 12:52*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

What's happened to the short flight of stairs to the Northern Line from
the bottom of the Victoria Line escalators?

They're gated off while the lift to the Northern Line is being built.

I'm hoping that once that opens, some of the more circuitous routes
will be removed, but I'm not holding my breath...

Roland Perry July 11th 10 06:25 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
06:06:15 on Sun, 11 Jul 2010, martin
remarked:
On Jul 8, 12:52*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

What's happened to the short flight of stairs to the Northern Line from
the bottom of the Victoria Line escalators?

They're gated off while the lift to the Northern Line is being built.

Thank you for posting some genuinely useful information.

I'm hoping that once that opens,

The lift? It's a considerable vertical distance and probably quite
small, only of use to genuine stair-inhibited passengers.

some of the more circuitous routes will be removed, but I'm not
holding my breath...

The Northern Line from the Northern Ticket Hall is an improvement. But
not from anywhere else (for example, arriving passengers on ECML)

Roy Badami August 23rd 10 08:03 PM

On 08/07/10 07:36, Paul wrote:

Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras was
that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a gateline.
From that, it logically follows that you must be able to access all
lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that weren't the case
then there must still be transfers that require you to walk between two
ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms from the
Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the signage directs me
to the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras) rather than the Tube
Ticket Hall (the original one) but it reminded me of this thread and
made me wonder whether that is the best route, or whether there might be
a better route through the Tube Ticket Hall.

Is there a useful map of the underground complex available anywhere? I
find the maze of tunnels quite disorienting...

-roy

Paul Scott August 23rd 10 08:19 PM

"Roy Badami" wrote in message

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms from the
Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the signage directs me to
the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras) rather than the Tube Ticket
Hall (the original one) but it reminded me of this thread and made me
wonder whether that is the best route, or whether there might be a better
route through the Tube Ticket Hall.

Is there a useful map of the underground complex available anywhere? I
find the maze of tunnels quite disorienting...

Don't think going via the tube ticket hall is any better, although you're
right, there is a paid side connection between tube and western ticket halls
now. IMHO the signage you followed is probably the sensible route

FCC's website has a 3D diagram and video:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...iCmsPageId=497

Paul S

Roy Badami August 23rd 10 08:45 PM

On 23/08/10 21:19, Paul Scott wrote:

Don't think going via the tube ticket hall is any better, although
you're right, there is a paid side connection between tube and western
ticket halls now. IMHO the signage you followed is probably the sensible
route

FCC's website has a 3D diagram and video:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...iCmsPageId=497

Thanks - that map is quite useful, although far from ideal.

If there is a route directly from the Tube Ticket Hall to the Met/Circle
platforms (that doesn't require running down an up escalator :) then it
looks like it would be quicker than the signposted route - if I'm not
misremembering I walked past the Tube Ticket Hall anyway to get to the
Western Ticket Hall (and the map seems to support that).

-roy

[email protected] August 23rd 10 08:55 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article fuAco.172344$ss1.101128@hurricane, (Roy
Badami) wrote:

On 08/07/10 07:36, Paul wrote:

Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras
was that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a
gateline. From that, it logically follows that you must be able
to access all lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that
weren't the case then there must still be transfers that require
you to walk between two ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms
from the Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the
signage directs me to the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras)
rather than the Tube Ticket Hall (the original one) but it reminded
me of this thread and made me wonder whether that is the best
route, or whether there might be a better route through the Tube
Ticket Hall.

Is there a useful map of the underground complex available
anywhere? I find the maze of tunnels quite disorienting...

If you're coming in from Cambridge on platforms 9-11 you might as well go
down into the Northern ticket hall and walk under Pancras Rd to the
Western. I don't think the surface alternatives are any better.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Scott August 23rd 10 09:02 PM

"Roy Badami" wrote in message

Thanks - that map is quite useful, although far from ideal.

If there is a route directly from the Tube Ticket Hall to the Met/Circle
platforms (that doesn't require running down an up escalator :) then it
looks like it would be quicker than the signposted route - if I'm not
misremembering I walked past the Tube Ticket Hall anyway to get to the
Western Ticket Hall (and the map seems to support that).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...pgrade-map.gif

Slightly clearer version of the diagram from TfL, but harder to find!

I think the difference is that the route via the tube ticket hall is
slightly shorter but feeds you into the very eastern end of the Circle/Met
platforms, whereas the other route can put you at the other end of those
platforms, which might be quieter. Maybe just suck it and see on the day...

Paul

Roland Perry August 23rd 10 10:17 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message fuAco.172344$ss1.101128@hurricane, at 21:03:22 on Mon, 23
Aug 2010, Roy Badami remarked:
Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras was
that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a gateline.

Perhaps, and if everything was open it might even be true.

From that, it logically follows that you must be able to access all
lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that weren't the case
then there must still be transfers that require you to walk between two
ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

Only in the extreme case that you would be prepared to make a very long
detour. Northern Hall to Circle/Met via one of the deep tube platforms,
for example.

But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly platforms
would be quickest).

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms from
the Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the signage
directs me to the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras) rather than
the Tube Ticket Hall (the original one) but it reminded me of this
thread and made me wonder whether that is the best route, or whether
there might be a better route through the Tube Ticket Hall.

I'd go into the northern ticket hall (but not through the barriers) then
down the passage to the original ticket hall, and then through the
barriers and turn right along the "Khyber pass" - the old way to the
eastern end of the platforms.

My map is he http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

MIG August 24th 10 08:47 AM

On 23 Aug, 23:17, Roland Perry wrote:
In message fuAco.172344$ss1.101128@hurricane, at 21:03:22 on Mon, 23
Aug 2010, Roy Badami remarked:

Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras was
that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a gateline.

Perhaps, and if everything was open it might even be true.

From that, it logically follows that you must be able to access all
lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that weren't the case
then there must still be transfers that require you to walk between two
ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

Only in the extreme case that you would be prepared to make a very long
detour. Northern Hall to Circle/Met via one of the deep tube platforms,
for example.

But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly platforms
would be quickest).

Unless you take a chance on one of the short escalators being fixed
and walkable down. In fact, I think I'd try that and, if unlucky, get
the Victoria to Euston and change there. Still a better than
following the direction signs half way to Finsbury Park and back.

Roland Perry August 24th 10 12:46 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
01:47:19 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly platforms
would be quickest).

Unless you take a chance on one of the short escalators being fixed
and walkable down. In fact, I think I'd try that and, if unlucky, get
the Victoria to Euston and change there. Still a better than
following the direction signs half way to Finsbury Park and back.

I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so going
via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk inside the
Euston passageways.

Peter Smyth August 24th 10 05:46 PM

[...]

Actually it is cross platform interchange in that direction (SB Victoria
to SB Bank branch)

Peter Smyth

MIG August 24th 10 09:15 PM

On 24 Aug, 18:46, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
[...]

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

But even if one was going the other way on the Northern, it's a fairly
short walk over a bridge at the western end of the Victoria/Northern
platforms at Euston; no need to go up the escalators and back.

[email protected] August 24th 10 10:51 PM

(MIG) wrote:

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

So, don't take the long walk at the Cross! Turn left at the bottom of the
stairs past the end of platform 8 and you get into the old ticket hall and
the top of the Victoria Line escalators. Simple. Directions signs are to
confuse the confusible.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry August 25th 10 06:59 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message , at 17:51:44
on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, remarked:

So, don't take the long walk at the Cross! Turn left at the bottom of the
stairs past the end of platform 8 and you get into the old ticket hall and
the top of the Victoria Line escalators. Simple.

I think you have missed the point - we are trying to get to the Northern
Line, not the Victoria! And starting from the Circle Line platforms,
allegedly possible without going through a barrier. The Khyber pass gets
you to the top of the old Victoria Line escalators (inside the barriers)
but from there the Northern is somewhat inaccessible.

Directions signs are to confuse the confusible.

I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass, about
getting to the Northern?

Roland Perry August 25th 10 09:01 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
14:15:46 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so
going via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk
inside the Euston passageways.

Actually it is cross platform interchange in that direction (SB Victoria
to SB Bank branch)

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

But even if one was going the other way on the Northern, it's a fairly
short walk over a bridge at the western end of the Victoria/Northern
platforms at Euston; no need to go up the escalators and back.

Thanks both. I wonder what the long walk I'm remembering is - perhaps
Charing Cross Branch northbound to Victoria Line northbound.

[email protected] August 25th 10 10:32 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
,
[...]

That is a long walk, yes. The principle of adding the Victoria Line to
Euston was the cross-platform interchange with the Northern Line City
branch then the quieter one to which they wanted Victoria Line transfers
to be made. That was then, of course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] August 25th 10 10:32 AM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
17:51:44 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010,
remarked:

So, don't take the long walk at the Cross! Turn left at the bottom of
the stairs past the end of platform 8 and you get into the old ticket
hall and the top of the Victoria Line escalators. Simple.

I think you have missed the point - we are trying to get to the
Northern Line, not the Victoria! And starting from the Circle Line
platforms, allegedly possible without going through a barrier. The
Khyber pass gets you to the top of the old Victoria Line escalators
(inside the barriers) but from there the Northern is somewhat
inaccessible.

Directions signs are to confuse the confusible.

I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass,
about getting to the Northern?

I thought the current route was via the Piccadilly escalator. Is the
access from the bottom to the Northern actually blocked off?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry August 25th 10 02:35 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message , at 05:32:43
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:
I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass,
about getting to the Northern?

I thought the current route was via the Piccadilly escalator. Is the
access from the bottom to the Northern actually blocked off?

When I looked (about three weeks ago) the short escalators for the
Northern were all going "up", and the sets of stairs had gates drawn
across them.

MIG August 25th 10 09:47 PM

Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On 25 Aug, 15:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 05:32:43
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:

I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass,
about getting to the Northern?

I thought the current route was via the Piccadilly escalator. Is the
access from the bottom to the Northern actually blocked off?

When I looked (about three weeks ago) the short escalators for the
Northern were all going "up", and the sets of stairs had gates drawn
across them.

It's worth a try though. The other weekend I took a chance on one of
the short escalators being fixed, and it turned out that it was.
Another time it was fixed, but the spoilsports had put a plastic
barrier across.