London Banter

-   -   Paddington barriers again (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10967-paddington-barriers-again.html)

Mizter T July 8th 10 12:42 PM

Paddington barriers again

[original thread on uk.railway]
[x-posted to uk.transport.london]

On Jul 8, 11:54*am, Neil Williams wrote:
Once again, the barriers on the bridge at Paddington caused a very
quick build-up of queues this morning, causing disruption to journeys,
and once again the poorly-placed ticket machine queues got in the
way. *This was not helped by someone getting luggage stuck in the
barrier, which the staff could not see and did not respond quickly to
it when it was pointed out.

These barriers really need to be removed, bringing the entire bridge
and LUL platforms into the same CTA.

CTA? (Common ticketed area?)

*The only risk this would seem to
bring is that a PAYG Oyster or Tube ticket user *might* be able to, by
way of an unresolved journey, get onto the main platforms. *A
Travelcard will, after all, open the barriers anyway. *Or at least,
fGW need to adopt the LM policy of opening them fully in the peaks.

I *think* you're suggesting that the entire overbridge should be
barriered, right? Or not barriered - it's not quite clear to me. (I
don't quite understand the "*might*" reference w.r.t. access to the
main platforms.)

Gating the entire overbridge would bring its own set of issues - the
overbridge is used as a route to and from the exit at the north side
of the station (towards the canal basin and Harrow Rd beyond). Plus
there seems to be the desire for HEx to use ungated platforms (ditto
with GatEx), so as to enable the rush and jump on and buy ticket on-
board flexibility.

Regardless, the situation sounds rather less than ideal. (Long term,
as part of Crossrail, the LU H&C/ lasso line platforms are to get a
new entrance which should help matters - must admit I'm not up on the
details of this though.)

Neil Williams July 8th 10 12:58 PM

Paddington barriers again

On 8 July, 13:42, Mizter T wrote:

CTA? (Common ticketed area?)

Compulsory ticket area.

I *think* you're suggesting that the entire overbridge should be
barriered, right? Or not barriered - it's not quite clear to me. (I
don't quite understand the "*might*" reference w.r.t. access to the
main platforms.)

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. To achieve this, it would
I guess be necessary to have a smaller barriered area around the
access to the stairs on the HEx platforms and platform 1. There would
then be no barriers on the bridge itself to get in the way of a very
large passenger flow.

(I suspect, like other things, this was not an issue prior to the
teacup).

Gating the entire overbridge would bring its own set of issues - the
overbridge is used as a route to and from the exit at the north side
of the station (towards the canal basin and Harrow Rd beyond).

How do you get there? Is it from Platform 1, which would remain
unbarriered? I can't recall seeing any other exits.

Regardless, the situation sounds rather less than ideal. (Long term,
as part of Crossrail, the LU H&C/ lasso line platforms are to get a
new entrance which should help matters - must admit I'm not up on the
details of this though.)

That is certainly necessary - my experiences over the past few weeks
would suggest that the issue on that platform is so bad that the
Circle should be reverted until *after* another entrance (or at least
a second set of temporary stairs from the overbridge to the LUL
platforms) can be constructed.

Neil

Andy July 8th 10 01:31 PM

Paddington barriers again

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil Williams wrote:
On 8 July, 13:42, Mizter T wrote:

CTA? (Common ticketed area?)

Compulsory ticket area.

[...]

The exit is to the north east, from the top of platforms 8 and 9,
where the bridge takes a bend between spans 3 and 4, the exit goes
straight on(ish). It comes out by the canal and ultimately leads to
Bishop's Bridge Road. It is one of the reasons that there has to be a
barrier on the bridge, if barriers are used, as the pathway is
currently rather narrow.

M J Forbes July 8th 10 01:47 PM

Paddington barriers again

Seems to me that the bridge connecting 13/14 at Paddington to the H&C/
Circle platforms has always been a nightmare. About 10 years ago, I
was living in Ealing, working in Basingstoke, and commuting daily at a
few mins before 6 (Ealing Broadway/West Ealing to Padd, then HST to
Reading, and then to Basingstoke). Even at this time of the morning,
there were plenty of other passengers spilling off my train and the
H&C, heading for the 06:30 to Bristol, which was invariably on
Platform 1. Heading home in the late afternoon/evening, the situation
was worse.

How on earth Railtrack/NR/LUL allowed this situation to continue
(especially with the more recent H&S interference) is somewhat odd.
Surely, if the "crush-loading" that others have described is
dangerous, then surely things should have been changed?

I fully appreciate that FGW and LU need to protect revenue, but there
*must* be a better way to go about it - and if we need to wait for the
redevelopment that's associated with Crossrail, then I can envisage
something awful occurring in the meantime.

Mizter T July 8th 10 02:04 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Jul 8, 1:58*pm, Neil Williams wrote:

On 8 July, 13:42, Mizter T wrote:

CTA? (Common ticketed area?)

Compulsory ticket area.

Of course, d'oh! (I should add that I've never claimed to know what
I'm talking about!)

I *think* you're suggesting that the entire overbridge should be
barriered, right? Or not barriered - it's not quite clear to me. (I
don't quite understand the "*might*" reference w.r.t. access to the
main platforms.)

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *To achieve this, it would
I guess be necessary to have a smaller barriered area around the
access to the stairs on the HEx platforms and platform 1. *There would
then be no barriers on the bridge itself to get in the way of a very
large passenger flow.

OK. There's also the ramp and stairs up from platforms 8 & 9 - these
platforms are ungated at the concourse end (and of course platform 1,
by it's nature, is ungated, as you suggest).

The HEx platforms could I suppose have the reverse arrangement of what
currently exists on the overbridge for platforms 2-5 - but this
doesn't tackle the issue of the overbridge as a public access route
from that northern entrance (where gates would frustrate wannabe HEx
pax as well as many others), and they would block off the option of
wannabe HEx pax jumping out the taxi (on the cab road next to
Eastbourne Terrace) and heading to the HEx platforms via the
overbridge instead of the concourse. I'm only focusing on HEx issues
here as I'm sure that's what BAA would fuss about - I think the issue
of public access to the northern entrance would be more of an issue,
more on that in a mo...

(I suspect, like other things, this was not an issue prior to the
teacup).

Interesting - if so, there might be something of a left-hand (FGW)
right-hand (LU) situation here - but it would be interesting to hear
more from regular users of these gates, or indeed see the usage stats
before and after, so as to be surer as to what degree the new Circle/
teacup line arrangement may have affected matters.

Gating the entire overbridge would bring its own set of issues - the
overbridge is used as a route to and from the exit at the north side
of the station (towards the canal basin and Harrow Rd beyond).

How do you get there? *Is it from Platform 1, which would remain
unbarriered? *I can't recall seeing any other exits.

The NRE "Stations Made Easy" plan of Paddington is very useful here as
it comprehensively illustrates the situation:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...Overview.xhtml

So, there's a ramp up from platforms 8 & 9 - these platforms are
ungated at the concourse end. The northern entrance/exit is more of a
side-door, but it is signed as an exit within the station (to "Harrow
Rd") via both platform 1 and platforms 8 & 9. It serves the large new-
ish Paddington Basin development, and to some extent St Mary's
Hospital, as well as providing a route north to Harrow Rd and beyond.

I suppose that one could put forward the case that it's used by
regular users, such as commuters, who are likely to have a season
ticket or Oyster card - and the gates could be configured to provide
'free passage' through the CTA (though such an arrangement is open to
abuse, with bods touching-out on the gate but not walking through it,
and instead staying within the CTA so as to board a train to
wherever).

And as you pointed out in your original post (and I understand the
reference now), such a gating scheme would allow people to gain access
to the main (non-surburban) platforms, for the cost of an unresolved
journey - FGW might consider than an issue, especially with the
possibility of some pax innocently and unthinkingly assuming they
could use Oyster PAYG to get to say Slough or Reading.

Regardless, the situation sounds rather less than ideal. (Long term,
as part of Crossrail, the LU H&C/ lasso line platforms are to get a
new entrance which should help matters - must admit I'm not up on the
details of this though.)

That is certainly necessary - my experiences over the past few weeks
would suggest that the issue on that platform is so bad that the
Circle should be reverted until *after* another entrance (or at least
a second set of temporary stairs from the overbridge to the LUL
platforms) can be constructed.

Must admit that I was a bit surprised when the Teacup/ Lasso
(whatever!) went ahead without there being any changes at Paddington
H&C platforms - I recall alighting there some time before the changes,
not during the rush-hour either (poss. shoulder-peak), and standing
right at the back of a queue of people waiting to climb the stairs (I
was in no rush) - the number of people hauling luggage up the stairs
(and not holding up for a moment for the non-luggaged folk to go
first) was a significant contributory factor, but even without the
luggage the number of people would have prevented a quick escape. I
spoke to the platform assistant on duty and he said it was always like
that!

One last thing - I dunno how it would compare to using the Circle/H&C
line (slower I'm sure), but one alternate option for a Paddington to
Euston journey might be the 18 (bendy) bus that traverses Harrow Road
- you'd need to use the aforementioned northern exit from Paddington,
and use the pedestrian subway under the road. The 18 is a busy route,
though it might be ok in the contra-peak direction. Just and idea -
though it might well be more useful in a snafu situation as opposed to
during the normal course of events (when others might be heading to
the front of Paddington for the 205 bus).

Duncan July 8th 10 09:45 PM

Paddington barriers again

In article 6f1f7d2d-2fde-4d01-97e6-
, says...
[...]

I can't see why the Circle line changes should have made any difference
to people exiting at Paddington. Sure the overall numbers arriving per
hour will have increased, but has the number of passengers exiting per
train really changed?

Most people joining at stations like King's Cross heading to Paddington
got on the first service regardless of whether it was a Hammersmith &
City or Circle service. Therefore I would have expected the pinch point
on the stairs following the arrival of a service to be the same now as
before the changes.

Duncan

Andy July 8th 10 10:10 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Jul 8, 10:45*pm, Duncan wrote:
[...]

The problem isn't so much the number of passengers arriving at
Paddington on these platforms, but that there will be more passenger
using these platforms to travel east from Paddington having arrived on
a FGW service. Before the changes it was generally best (depending
slighlty on whether you were at the front or the rear of the train) to
goto the Circle / District platform if heading east (for either a
Circle train or to change at Edgware Road), but now it is best to goto
platform 16, as this is where the only through trains leave from.

Roger Lynn[_2_] July 8th 10 10:13 PM

Paddington barriers again

On 08/07/10 15:04, Mizter T wrote:
Must admit that I was a bit surprised when the Teacup/ Lasso
(whatever!) went ahead without there being any changes at Paddington
H&C platforms - I recall alighting there some time before the changes,
not during the rush-hour either (poss. shoulder-peak), and standing
right at the back of a queue of people waiting to climb the stairs (I
was in no rush) - the number of people hauling luggage up the stairs
(and not holding up for a moment for the non-luggaged folk to go
first) was a significant contributory factor, but even without the
luggage the number of people would have prevented a quick escape. I
spoke to the platform assistant on duty and he said it was always like
that!

Would it help if District and Circle trains were able to terminate at
Baker Street instead of Edgware Road so that passengers could continue
east on the Met? I suppose terminating trains at Baker Street or adding
platforms to do so would be hopelessly impractical? The gaps in service
on the Circle route between Edgware Road and Baker Street, and Aldgate
and Tower Hill have always struck me as being quite quite odd.

Roger

Neil Williams July 8th 10 10:24 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:31:45 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

The exit is to the north east, from the top of platforms 8 and 9,
where the bridge takes a bend between spans 3 and 4, the exit goes
straight on(ish). It comes out by the canal and ultimately leads to
Bishop's Bridge Road. It is one of the reasons that there has to be a
barrier on the bridge, if barriers are used, as the pathway is
currently rather narrow.

Ah, I looked and saw it today. Must have disregarded it last time as
it looks like a bit of a building site entrance!

Not sure of the solution for that... I guess this is potentially
looking like a Sheffield-esque situation. Hmm. Might have a look
tomorrow to see if I can work out what could fit in to handle it.

The other solution to the problem might, of course, involve putting
the Circle Line back the way it was and thus reducing the number of
people on the bridge in the first place - we shall see come the
temporary situation that occurs in July-August.

In the meantime, fGW would do well to stop being so damn stubborn and
to open the barriers in the height of the peaks when the situation
starts being a problem, at which time most people are travelling on
season tickets and so ticket checks are perhaps of lower importance as
there will generally be less fare dodging anyway.

They could perhaps also put some sort of queueing tape around the
ticket machines to direct the queue where it doesn't get in the way as
much, as well as posting one more member of staff on the bridge when
the barriers are closed (or providing CCTV), as as it is the gateline
staff cannot see the entire gateline to resolve issues.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

Neil Williams July 8th 10 10:26 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:47:21 -0700 (PDT), M J Forbes
wrote:

How on earth Railtrack/NR/LUL allowed this situation to continue
(especially with the more recent H&S interference) is somewhat odd.
Surely, if the "crush-loading" that others have described is
dangerous, then surely things should have been changed?

I'm not totally sure it is dangerous - it is just disruptive, just as
the situation on the LUL platforms themselves is - it can take 10
minutes to get off the platforms there in the worst case.

LUL clearly didn't think this through properly before making changes
to the Circle Line. (Changes which I generally support, but
infrastructure work to open out the platform and an extra set of
stairs were required *first*).

Neil

Neil Williams July 8th 10 10:32 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 07:04:30 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Interesting - if so, there might be something of a left-hand (FGW)
right-hand (LU) situation here - but it would be interesting to hear
more from regular users of these gates, or indeed see the usage stats
before and after, so as to be surer as to what degree the new Circle/
teacup line arrangement may have affected matters.

It has put a lot of extra passengers onto the bridge, who (like me)
might not have been there before. That said, it is a more convenient
service, with about 12tph to Euston instead of 6, and better spaced.

I suppose that one could put forward the case that it's used by
regular users, such as commuters, who are likely to have a season
ticket or Oyster card - and the gates could be configured to provide
'free passage' through the CTA (though such an arrangement is open to
abuse, with bods touching-out on the gate but not walking through it,
and instead staying within the CTA so as to board a train to
wherever).

That option is already available at any London terminal to anyone
holding a Travelcard with Zone 1 on it. Sometimes it is necessary to
exit through a manual gate, but it is a valid ticket to be on the
station. I've used it to use the bogs at City Thameslink before :)

It is a complication, though, as you say.

Must admit that I was a bit surprised when the Teacup/ Lasso
(whatever!) went ahead without there being any changes at Paddington
H&C platforms - I recall alighting there some time before the changes,
not during the rush-hour either (poss. shoulder-peak), and standing
right at the back of a queue of people waiting to climb the stairs (I
was in no rush) - the number of people hauling luggage up the stairs
(and not holding up for a moment for the non-luggaged folk to go
first) was a significant contributory factor, but even without the
luggage the number of people would have prevented a quick escape. I
spoke to the platform assistant on duty and he said it was always like
that!

They've started blocking people from going down when the platform is
dangerously full, and this seems to work, though they can only do it
for so long because it can create a crowd problem on the bridge if it
reaches back to the barriers. (Indeed, on the way in, the barriers
perhaps moderate this a bit, so there's one thing in favour of them).
This seems to work, though it's annoying if you have to let a train
go. They did it for the first time I've seen this morning - but the
infrastructure is still not up to it - a second set of stairs on the
other side is still needed.

One last thing - I dunno how it would compare to using the Circle/H&C
line (slower I'm sure), but one alternate option for a Paddington to
Euston journey might be the 18 (bendy) bus that traverses Harrow Road
- you'd need to use the aforementioned northern exit from Paddington,
and use the pedestrian subway under the road. The 18 is a busy route,
though it might be ok in the contra-peak direction. Just and idea -
though it might well be more useful in a snafu situation as opposed to
during the normal course of events (when others might be heading to
the front of Paddington for the 205 bus).

I did wonder which way the 18 went. Might give it a go tomorrow.

Neil

Neil Williams July 8th 10 10:35 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 22:45:08 +0100, Duncan wrote:

I can't see why the Circle line changes should have made any difference
to people exiting at Paddington. Sure the overall numbers arriving per
hour will have increased, but has the number of passengers exiting per
train really changed?

It is now the case that two trains worth of people can build up on the
platform (the second arriving while the first is still clearing). It
is at its worst when this happens.

At 12tph-ish, if it takes 10 minutes to clear the platform (this has
happened) you might even get a third train if you are unlucky.

Most people joining at stations like King's Cross heading to Paddington
got on the first service regardless of whether it was a Hammersmith &
City or Circle service.

Possibly. But I think going away from Padd that people would as a
whole "default" to the Circle Line, just because that's the known
quantity. Commuters, of course, will have their own way of doing
things, but there would at least be some split.

Neil

Theo Markettos July 8th 10 10:40 PM

Paddington barriers again

In uk.railway Neil Williams wrote:
I'm not totally sure it is dangerous - it is just disruptive, just as
the situation on the LUL platforms themselves is - it can take 10
minutes to get off the platforms there in the worst case.

LUL clearly didn't think this through properly before making changes
to the Circle Line. (Changes which I generally support, but
infrastructure work to open out the platform and an extra set of
stairs were required *first*).

There's a disused bridge linking platforms 15/16 and platforms 13/14. How
feasible would this be to bring into use (until the Crossrail works happen),
to at least relieve some of the flow from the west end of 15/16? Does this
date from when the Circle and GWR were linked, as an extra entrance to the
Circle?

Theo

[email protected] July 8th 10 10:57 PM

Paddington barriers again

In article ,
(Duncan) wrote:

I can't see why the Circle line changes should have made any
difference to people exiting at Paddington. Sure the overall
numbers arriving per hour will have increased, but has the number
of passengers exiting per train really changed?

Most people joining at stations like King's Cross heading to
Paddington got on the first service regardless of whether it was a
Hammersmith & City or Circle service. Therefore I would have
expected the pinch point on the stairs following the arrival of a
service to be the same now as before the changes.

There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more! You
have to change at Edgware Road. If you are lucky it's cross-platform.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams July 8th 10 11:03 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:57:05 -0500,
wrote:

There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more!

Yes there is - it's just the *other* Paddington.

(OK, pedantic point. But "Circle Line" is still shown as a
destination on the trains that originated from the Circle!)

Neil

MIG July 9th 10 06:24 AM

Paddington barriers again

wrote:

The exit is to the north east, from the top of platforms 8 and 9,
where the bridge takes a bend between spans 3 and 4, the exit goes
straight on(ish). It comes out by the canal and ultimately leads to
Bishop's Bridge Road. It is one of the reasons that there has to be a
barrier on the bridge, if barriers are used, as the pathway is
currently rather narrow.

Ah, I looked and saw it today. *Must have disregarded it last time as
it looks like a bit of a building site entrance!

There is something circular about this. Because of overcrowding,
there has to be an extra exit, but because of the extra exit, there
has to be a barrier that creates overcrowding.

(Or was there always an exit that way? I can only remember going
through the main station, but maybe I never needed to go the other
way.)

Paul July 9th 10 06:49 AM

Paddington barriers again

On 9 July, 07:24, MIG wrote:

wrote:

The exit is to the north east, from the top of platforms 8 and 9,
where the bridge takes a bend between spans 3 and 4, the exit goes
straight on(ish). It comes out by the canal and ultimately leads to
Bishop's Bridge Road. It is one of the reasons that there has to be a
barrier on the bridge, if barriers are used, as the pathway is
currently rather narrow.

Ah, I looked and saw it today. *Must have disregarded it last time as
it looks like a bit of a building site entrance!

There is something circular about this. *Because of overcrowding,
there has to be an extra exit, but because of the extra exit, there
has to be a barrier that creates overcrowding.

(Or was there always an exit that way? *I can only remember going
through the main station, but maybe I never needed to go the other
way.)

Perhaps someone could take a photo of the overcrowding on the H&C
platforms at Paddington, or would they get arrested under the
"Terrorism Act"?

Mizter T July 9th 10 08:56 AM

Paddington barriers again

On Jul 9, 7:24*am, MIG wrote:

wrote:

The exit is to the north east, from the top of platforms 8 and 9,
where the bridge takes a bend between spans 3 and 4, the exit goes
straight on(ish). It comes out by the canal and ultimately leads to
Bishop's Bridge Road. It is one of the reasons that there has to be a
barrier on the bridge, if barriers are used, as the pathway is
currently rather narrow.

Ah, I looked and saw it today. *Must have disregarded it last time as
it looks like a bit of a building site entrance!

There is something circular about this. *Because of overcrowding,
there has to be an extra exit, but because of the extra exit, there
has to be a barrier that creates overcrowding.

(Or was there always an exit that way? *I can only remember going
through the main station, but maybe I never needed to go the other
way.)

The exit (the northern one for Harrow Rd) has been around since long
before the new gates were installed last year (or whenever it was) -
so afraid your argument falls at the first hurdle!

I can't quite recall exactly what the arrangement was in days or yore,
but I think this northern exit used to form part of the cab road that
ran through Paddington - I think there was direct access off the old
Bishop's Bridge into the cab road, which then used the ramp down to
the wide island between platforms 8 & 9 before continuing across what
is now the concourse and onto the ramp that leads up to Praed Street.

I'm not sure if there was any pedestrian access next to the cab road
in those days, as the cast iron bridge it uses (which now forms part
of that northern exit) is quite narrow - nor am I sure whether or not
there was any other pedestrian exit up this way.

There did used to be a direct entrance onto the H&C line platforms
from Bishop's Bridge too - I'm not sure when this fell out of use, it
may have even been before the H&C line tracks and BR tracks on the
approach to Paddington were disentangled in the 60's. The current
emergency exit bridge between the H&C island platform and platforms
13/14 is I believe a remnant of this.

I dunno whether there were ever any thoughts about connecting the new
Bishop's Bridge to a re-opened exit for the H&C line in the same
location, but if there were then they were obviously never progressed.

Bruce[_2_] July 9th 10 09:53 AM

Paddington barriers again

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 01:56:21 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

I can't quite recall exactly what the arrangement was in days or yore,
but I think this northern exit used to form part of the cab road that
ran through Paddington - I think there was direct access off the old
Bishop's Bridge into the cab road, which then used the ramp down to
the wide island between platforms 8 & 9 before continuing across what
is now the concourse and onto the ramp that leads up to Praed Street.

That is also my recollection.

Chris[_2_] July 9th 10 10:02 AM

Paddington barriers again

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil Williams wrote:
I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *

Not possible - that bridge is a pedestrian right of way from the canal
path to Eastbourne Terrace, and can't be completely gated - which is
why the gates on the bridge to the platforms are as they are.

Mizter T July 9th 10 10:07 AM

Paddington barriers again

On Jul 9, 11:02*am, Chris wrote:

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil *Williams wrote:

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *

Not possible - that bridge is a pedestrian right of way from the canal
path to Eastbourne Terrace, and can't be completely gated - which is
why the gates on the bridge to the platforms are as they are.

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

Paul Scott July 9th 10 10:09 AM

Paddington barriers again

wrote in message

There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more! You
have to change at Edgware Road. If you are lucky it's cross-platform.

There are 6 tph from Kings Cross to Paddington H&C.

Unless you are thinking ahead to the engineering works...

Paul S

Peter Masson[_2_] July 9th 10 10:09 AM

Paddington barriers again

"Mizter T" wrote

[...]

You're right about the cab road coming from Bishop's Bridge down the ramp
and along platforms 8/9. In the far distant past there was also a cab road
down platforms 10/11.

When I was working for BR (WR London DMO) in 1967 I recall a reference to
Paddington E Booking Office which I was led to believe was the one on
Bishop's Bridge, but that it had closed some little time before. The
rearrangement of the tracks, moving the westbound H&C to from 13 to 15
happened later in 1967.

If the peak congestion is intolerable, the only quick fix I can think of is
to instigate a one-way system to and from platforms 13 - 16. One way via
platform 12 and the other way via the bridge. There would be people for whom
this would be inconvenient. It might also be possible to have the whole of
the bridge within the gated area, with gates removed from the bridge and put
at the foot of the stairs on platforms 1 and 6 - 9.

Peter

[email protected] July 9th 10 11:59 AM

Paddington barriers again

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote in message

There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more!
You have to change at Edgware Road. If you are lucky it's
cross-platform.

There are 6 tph from Kings Cross to Paddington H&C.

Unless you are thinking ahead to the engineering works...

I was thinking of Paddington (Circle and District), not the one half way
to Ealing.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Scott July 9th 10 01:06 PM

Paddington barriers again

wrote in message
In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote in message

There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more!
You have to change at Edgware Road. If you are lucky it's
cross-platform.

There are 6 tph from Kings Cross to Paddington H&C.

Unless you are thinking ahead to the engineering works...

I was thinking of Paddington (Circle and District), not the one half way
to Ealing.

Yeah, right...

Paul S

Mizter T July 9th 10 02:15 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Jul 9, 12:59*pm, wrote:

(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote:
There is no Circle service from King's Cross to Paddington any more!
You have to change at Edgware Road. If you are lucky it's
cross-platform.

There are 6 tph from Kings Cross to Paddington H&C.

Unless you are thinking ahead to the engineering works...

I was thinking of Paddington (Circle and District), not the one half way
to Ealing.

What, you mean Paddington?

Charles Ellson July 9th 10 06:01 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 03:07:29 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Jul 9, 11:02*am, Chris wrote:

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil *Williams wrote:

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *

Not possible - that bridge is a pedestrian right of way from the canal
path to Eastbourne Terrace, and can't be completely gated - which is
why the gates on the bridge to the platforms are as they are.

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

If it isn't then an appropriate sign ought to be in position.

Mizter T July 9th 10 06:09 PM

Paddington barriers again

wrote:

On Jul 9, 11:02*am, Chris wrote:

On 8 July, 13:58, Neil *Williams wrote:

I'm saying the whole overbridge should be within a common barriered
area containing both LUL and the mainline. *

Not possible - that bridge is a pedestrian right of way from the canal
path to Eastbourne Terrace, and can't be completely gated - which is
why the gates on the bridge to the platforms are as they are.

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

If it isn't then an appropriate sign ought to be in position.

Which I *think* there might be somewhere along there (the 'not
dedicated as a public R-O-W one).

Peter Masson[_2_] July 9th 10 06:50 PM

Paddington barriers again

"Charles Ellson" wrote

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

If it isn't then an appropriate sign ought to be in position.

There are other ways of ensuring that a way does not become a public right
of way by presumed dedication. One is to close it for one day a year, and
retain evidence of having done so. It is also possible to deposit a map and
statutory declarations with the highway authority. But I agree that the
normal way is to post a sign.

Peter

Neil Williams July 9th 10 11:58 PM

Paddington barriers again

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:09:59 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

If the peak congestion is intolerable, the only quick fix I can think of is
to instigate a one-way system to and from platforms 13 - 16. One way via
platform 12 and the other way via the bridge. There would be people for whom
this would be inconvenient. It might also be possible to have the whole of
the bridge within the gated area, with gates removed from the bridge and put
at the foot of the stairs on platforms 1 and 6 - 9.

This was my proposal, pretty much, though that other exit is an issue.
The easier short-term one, as practiced by LM, is just to open the
barriers in the peaks and use them off-peak only, taking the very
slight revenue hit in favour of good customer service and safety
management.

The disused bridge to 13-14 may well be of use here - perhaps this
could be the exit and the main one the entrance. But I'm sure I read
about existing overcrowding issues on those platforms as well.

Neil

Charles Ellson July 10th 10 12:33 AM

Paddington barriers again

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 19:50:10 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Charles Ellson" wrote

Is it actually a right of way? I wouldn't be so sure that it is.

If it isn't then an appropriate sign ought to be in position.

There are other ways of ensuring that a way does not become a public right
of way by presumed dedication. One is to close it for one day a year, and
retain evidence of having done so. It is also possible to deposit a map and
statutory declarations with the highway authority. But I agree that the
normal way is to post a sign.

IMU the purpose of the Highways Act signs was to do away with the
faffing about of closing one day a year and allowing people to pass
only after being granted permission to do so. Where a path/road on
railway land was not a highway before 1949 it is statute-barred from
becoming a highway by prescription anyway (s.57 British Transport
Commission Act 1949 as referred to in
http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/committees...tFileFromDB ).

D DB 90001 July 10th 10 12:52 AM

Paddington barriers again

On 10 July, 00:58, Neil Williams
wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:09:59 +0100, "Peter Masson"

wrote:
If the peak congestion is intolerable, the only quick fix I can POthink of is
to instigate a one-way system to and from platforms 13 - 16. One way via
platform 12 and the other way via the bridge. There would be people for whom
this would be inconvenient. It might also be possible to have the whole of
the bridge within the gated area, with gates removed from the bridge and put
at the foot of the stairs on platforms 1 and 6 - 9.

This was my proposal, pretty much, though that other exit is an issue.
The easier short-term one, as practiced by LM, is just to open the
barriers in the peaks and use them off-peak only, taking the very
slight revenue hit in favour of good customer service and hI safety
management.

The disused bridge to 13-14 may well be of use here -

Indeed, otherwise you would still have the over-crowding on the stairs
to/from platforms 15/16; which are woefully inadequete for bi-
directional passenger flows.

The problem with restricting it to one direction-only during the peaks
is that the queues often build up right back to the barriers and this
in turn slows down everyone coming up the stairs, in short it must be
a nightmare to manage, especially when there is
A) disruption to tfl services
B) disruption to fgw services
C) passengers with tickets that don't work the barriers properly

Any of the above, and it's really not pleasant, surprise surprise!

Hopefully, the plan in the long term will be either an extra bridge,
or widening of existing infrastructure and an extra set of stairs; no
idea if that's the official plan tho.

Richard J.[_3_] July 10th 10 10:22 AM

Paddington barriers again

Bruce wrote on 09 July 2010 10:53:35 ...
wrote:

I can't quite recall exactly what the arrangement was in days or yore,
but I think this northern exit used to form part of the cab road that
ran through Paddington - I think there was direct access off the old
Bishop's Bridge into the cab road, which then used the ramp down to
the wide island between platforms 8& 9 before continuing across what
is now the concourse and onto the ramp that leads up to Praed Street.

That is also my recollection.

Mine too, and it wasn't just cabs on that road. I often used to drive
down the ramp from Bishop's Bridge, park on the road between platforms 8
& 9 and meet friends arriving by train from the west.
--
Richard J.

Bruce[_2_] July 10th 10 11:22 AM

Paddington barriers again

wrote:

I can't quite recall exactly what the arrangement was in days or yore,
but I think this northern exit used to form part of the cab road that
ran through Paddington - I think there was direct access off the old
Bishop's Bridge into the cab road, which then used the ramp down to
the wide island between platforms 8& 9 before continuing across what
is now the concourse and onto the ramp that leads up to Praed Street.

That is also my recollection.

Mine too, and it wasn't just cabs on that road. I often used to drive
down the ramp from Bishop's Bridge, park on the road between platforms 8
& 9 and meet friends arriving by train from the west.

I did that once in the mid-1970s, driving my VW Beetle to meet my
girlfriend off a train from Bristol, but I think by the late 1970s it
was taxis only.

Mizter T July 10th 10 12:26 PM

Paddington barriers again

wrote:

I can't quite recall exactly what the arrangement was in days or yore,
but I think this northern exit used to form part of the cab road that
ran through Paddington - I think there was direct access off the old
Bishop's Bridge into the cab road, which then used the ramp down to
the wide island between platforms 8& *9 before continuing across what
is now the concourse and onto the ramp that leads up to Praed Street.

That is also my recollection.

Mine too, and it wasn't just cabs on that road. *I often used to drive
down the ramp from Bishop's Bridge, park on the road between platforms 8
& 9 and meet friends arriving by train from the west.

I did that once in the mid-1970s, driving my VW Beetle to meet my
girlfriend off a train from Bristol, but I think by the late 1970s it
was taxis only.

Was driven through there in the mid/late 80's, though that doesn't
mean it wasn't supposed to be taxis only! (Can't recall if it was or
wasn't.)

Bruce[_2_] July 10th 10 01:12 PM

Paddington barriers again

wrote:
Mine too, and it wasn't just cabs on that road. *I often used to drive
down the ramp from Bishop's Bridge, park on the road between platforms 8
& 9 and meet friends arriving by train from the west.

I did that once in the mid-1970s, driving my VW Beetle to meet my
girlfriend off a train from Bristol, but I think by the late 1970s it
was taxis only.

Was driven through there in the mid/late 80's, though that doesn't
mean it wasn't supposed to be taxis only! (Can't recall if it was or
wasn't.)

I have a habit of ignoring vehicle restrictions and have ended up in
all sorts of strange places as a result - mainly bus stations. ;-)

I suppose the IRA bombing campaign against London targets would have
done a lot to change traffic arrangements such as that at Paddington.
Sadly, the Islamist threat that replaced it makes it all the more
important to keep road vehicle flows out of stations. :-(

Paul Scott July 10th 10 03:14 PM

Paddington barriers again

"D DB 90001" wrote in message

Hopefully, the plan in the long term will be either an extra bridge,
or widening of existing infrastructure and an extra set of stairs; no
idea if that's the official plan tho.

Details are available on Westminster's planning website:

http://idocs.westminster.gov.uk:8080...r=09/09265/LBC

The 'design and access statement', figure 3.2.2 is a relevant section, but
the text quality is very poor.

The rebuilt H&C station has its own access routes from the main station, and
a dedicated gateline, leading to three sets of stairs and a lift down to
P15/16. The existing footbridge will not provide a direct interchange route
from 10/11/13/14 to the LU platforms, you'll have to leave via a dedicated
gateline, and re-enter the underground's gateline. (And vice versa of
course)

Paul S

Paul Scott July 10th 10 05:45 PM

Paddington barriers again

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:14:28 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"D DB 90001" wrote in message

Hopefully, the plan in the long term will be either an extra bridge,
or widening of existing infrastructure and an extra set of stairs; no
idea if that's the official plan tho.

Details are available on Westminster's planning website:

http://idocs.westminster.gov.uk:8080...r=09/09265/LBC

The 'design and access statement', figure 3.2.2 is a relevant section, but
the text quality is very poor.

The rebuilt H&C station has its own access routes from the main station,
and
a dedicated gateline, leading to three sets of stairs and a lift down to
P15/16. The existing footbridge will not provide a direct interchange
route
from 10/11/13/14 to the LU platforms, you'll have to leave via a dedicated
gateline, and re-enter the underground's gateline. (And vice versa of
course)

I managed to find a more detailed plan of the H&C arrangement - it looks
very odd. As you say three staircases in a row which all have a direct
90 degree turn at the top towards the gateline then a further 90 degree
turn to the unpaid area.

I appreciate they're working in a very constrained site but you have to
wonder whether any of this could be described as an improvement in
overall terms within the Paddington station complex.

I suppose a main aim is that pax from LU and FGW suburbans who aren't
interchanging will not NEED to mix on the existing footbridge, which will
only be in FGW's paid area, but it seems strange to me that the existing
'non-paid area' bridge, the one with the bend in it paralleling the 'paid'
footbridge, isn't being made a major pedestrian route - as it lends itself
to being part of a main route from the lawn, up the P8/9 ramp towards the
new H&C concourse. What they seem to have assumed is that the main flow
will be along the side of the new cab rank, accessed from the buffer stop
end of the suburban platforms via what they call the 'vertical circulation
core'... (yuk).

[Of course that application is separate to the NR span 4 work - so for all
we know the final solution to the 'NR bridges' could be different to that
shown.]

Paul S

D7666 July 10th 10 06:17 PM

Paddington barriers again

I've only picked up this tread today so and quickly skimmed through it
and apologies if what I am about to write has been said already in
this thread.

In the Sheffield footbridge thread it was stated that EMT as part of
the franchise specification set by DfT had to barrier the station, and
its this that has led to the unwanted effect of bloking the direct
foot bridge - tram stop route.

Does not a similar sort of argument apply at Paddington - ISTR
barriering Paddington was set in a franchise spec because for a long
tie it went without any. Was it not just after the current fGW period
that Padd gained barriers. So when talking about ''common barrier
areas'' etc i.e. common with LU is it perhaps the DfT or forerunners
who are responsible for this in the first place. If so, its bound up
in franchise terms and not easy to undo.

--
Nick

Duncan July 10th 10 11:46 PM

Paddington barriers again

In article ,
says...

wrote:

If the peak congestion is intolerable, the only quick fix I can think of is
to instigate a one-way system to and from platforms 13 - 16. One way via
platform 12 and the other way via the bridge. There would be people for whom
this would be inconvenient. It might also be possible to have the whole of
the bridge within the gated area, with gates removed from the bridge and put
at the foot of the stairs on platforms 1 and 6 - 9.

This was my proposal, pretty much, though that other exit is an issue.
The easier short-term one, as practiced by LM, is just to open the
barriers in the peaks and use them off-peak only, taking the very
slight revenue hit in favour of good customer service and safety
management.

As this also the gateline to the LUL platforms it may be easier said
than done. At Euston the decision by LM to leave the gates open only
affects their services, whereas at Paddington I assume FGW would need
the agreement from TfL.

Do any other LUL stations leave their gates open, as I'm not aware of
any?

Duncan