Old July 12th 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which Stock?

Which stock was used on the Hainault-Woodford ATO shuttles, when the
rest of the line used 62 stock.
--
Clive

Old July 12th 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 12 July, 16:23, Clive wrote:
Which stock was used on the Hainault-Woodford ATO shuttles, when the
rest of the line used 62 stock.
--
Clive

For two or three decades it was four-car units consisting of 1960
stock driving motors and two converted "standard stock" trailers.
Later, the standard stock trailers were replaced by a single 1938
stock trailer.

Also, at any given time, one unit of 1967 stock would be allocated to
Hainault for running on the shuttle. It wouldn't always be the same
unit, but would always be one of the later batch, ie xx63 to xx79 if I
remember rightly.

The latter is inferred purely from observation. In many years, I
never saw one of the main batch of 1967 stock on the Central. If
anyone knows of some minor differences that could explain why (or
could provide counterevidence) ...

And it wasn't purely a shuttle even then. Several peak workings of
1962 stock ran to or from Grange Hill via Woodford, which meant that,
in the days of A and D coupling, the 1962 stock had to be kept
separate in Hainault depot, depending on which end it arrived from.
Old July 15th 10, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 July, 17:16, MIG wrote:
On 12 July, 16:23, Clive wrote:

[...]

There was indeed 1967 stock in use for trials, and they also trialled
the experimental (ETT) set of 1973 stock (three-car), according to the
pics in Motive Power Recognition back in the 1980s.
Old July 15th 10, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 15 July, 15:30, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 12 July, 17:16, MIG wrote:

On 12 July, 16:23, Clive wrote:

[...]

I don't remember seeing that, but the 1967 stock was in regular
service, not just for trials.

What I didn't know till I saw a video was that the 1960/1938 unit(s)
ended up doing the Ongar before it closed.
Old July 15th 10, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, MIG
writes
What I didn't know till I saw a video was that the 1960/1938 unit(s)
ended up doing the Ongar before it closed.

Epping to Ongar was a normal 62 stock single four car unit in the late
sixties, both of the intermediate stations were still open. I believe
that a single unit was used because the line was single end feed from
Epping and a dual unit eight car train would have caused too great a
voltage drop at Ongar.
--
Clive

Old July 15th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive
writes

Epping to Ongar was a normal 62 stock single four car unit in the late
sixties, both of the intermediate stations were still open. I believe
that a single unit was used because the line was single end feed from
Epping and a dual unit eight car train would have caused too great a
voltage drop at Ongar.

I think that was the normal pattern, but I believe two such units were
used for the peak service (and for the North Weald air show) until about
1975. However, ISTR that when two units were in service there were
special regulations about them not starting out together from the
crossing point at North Weald, because of the voltage drop you mention.
--
Paul Terry
Old July 16th 10, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 15 July, 21:06, wrote:
In article ,

(Paul Terry) wrote:
In message , Clive
writes

Epping to Ongar was a normal 62 stock single four car unit in the late
sixties, both of the intermediate stations were still open. *I believe
that a single unit was used because the line was single end feed from
Epping and a dual unit eight car train would have caused too great a
voltage drop at Ongar.

I think that was the normal pattern, but I believe two such units
were used for the peak service (and for the North Weald air show)
until about 1975. However, ISTR that when two units were in service
there were special regulations about them not starting out together
from the crossing point at North Weald, because of the voltage drop
you mention.

Exactly. I think there was an interlocking on the North Weald signals that
prevented both starters being pulled off at once. One train only on the
branch was one of the cuts nearer to closure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

And another oddity; just as the 1967 stock on the Hainault - Woodford
always seemed to be taken from the later batch (no doubt delivered
continuously) for the Brixton extension, the 1962 stock on the Epping
- Ongar was only ever selected from the units with de-icing equipment,
at every time of year.

Again, if anyone has any counterobservations I'd be interested.