London Banter

-   -   Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10994-oyster-route-validators-compulsory-touch.html)

Roy Badami July 19th 10 11:31 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

I recently had need to make a return journey on my Oyster card from
Kings Cross St Pancras tube station to the Canonbury Overground station.

Interchanging at Highbury and Islington on the outward journey there was
a pink Oyster validator on the Overground platform at Highbury and
Islington with instructions that one must touch the validator when
interchanging at that station, and a notice about penalties for
travelling without a validated Oyster card. It was worded in a way that
didn't seem to make touching the pink validator optional.

My recollection of previous descriptions on this group was that the pink
validators were route validators, and that one could optionally touch
them to get cheaper journeys when one took a route using fewer zones?

So, is their use really compulsory? If so, under what circumstances?
Does one always need to check for route validators on every platform one
interchanges at, or is Underground-to-Overground transfer a special case?

I touched the pink validitor as instructed (although, not expecting it,
I very nearly failed to notice the validator); what (if anything) would
have happened if I *hadn't* touched the pink validator?

Thanks,

-roy

Mizter T July 19th 10 11:49 PM

On Jul 20, 12:31*am, Roy Badami wrote:
[...]

In a word Roy (well, not many), no, I don't think there is (or indeed
can possibly be) any compulsion to use Oyster route validators (or
penalty for not using them) - touching on them mid-journey can
possibly result in a cheaper (non zone 1) fare being charged, but that
is conditional on the specific journey that a passenger is making. In
your case, a journey from KXSP to Canonbury is always going to be a
zones 1&2 journey - no possible way of avoiding zone 1 because you
started there!

I touched the pink validitor as instructed (although, not expecting it,
I very nearly failed to notice the validator); what (if anything) would
have happened if I *hadn't* touched the pink validator?

Nothing, and you would have still been travelling perfectly
legitimately.

Oyster route validators are all about providing a way for people to
prove they've avoided zone 1 and hence allow them to pay/ be charged
the non-z1 fare.

Commissioner Hendy's Pread-Street-torian guards won't be hunting you
down for this, worry not. But that chocolate truffle you had on the
Victoria line - it wasn't infused with booze, was it?

Roy Badami July 20th 10 12:23 AM

On 20/07/10 00:49, Mizter T wrote:

In a word Roy (well, not many), no, I don't think there is (or indeed
can possibly be) any compulsion to use Oyster route validators (or
penalty for not using them) - touching on them mid-journey can
possibly result in a cheaper (non zone 1) fare being charged, but that
is conditional on the specific journey that a passenger is making.

Thanks - my first reaction was to assume as much, but a combination of
the threatening signage and a significant number of other passengers
using the validator raised doubts in my mind; and as I didn't want to
risk getting held up (e.g. if my Oyster didn't open the barriers at
Canonbury) I didn't feel like testing what would happen if I ignored it.

I didn't think to take a photo of the signage though I imagine it is
fairly consistent between stations; if I'm travelling that way again
I'll try to remember to do that.

In
your case, a journey from KXSP to Canonbury is always going to be a
zones 1&2 journey - no possible way of avoiding zone 1 because you
started there!

Maybe I needed to prove I didn't take the Central Line to Stratford and
hence go via zone 3? ;-)

-roy

Tom Barry July 20th 10 08:03 AM

Mizter T wrote:

Oyster route validators are all about providing a way for people to
prove they've avoided zone 1 and hence allow them to pay/ be charged
the non-z1 fare.

Very useful they are, too - had to use the pink'un at H&I on Saturday,
going from Finsbury Park to Acton Central. A nice, spacious 378 beats
the Piccadilly Line any day.

Commissioner Hendy's Pread-Street-torian guards won't be hunting you
down for this, worry not. But that chocolate truffle you had on the
Victoria line - it wasn't infused with booze, was it?

Oddly enough, I think truffles are legal, it's 'open containers of
alcohol' that are banned. Not that it's enforced in any way, shape or
form, as the sight of an extremely drunk lady staggering off a westbound
Piccadilly a couple of weeks back and plonking her empty wine bottle on
the Help Point attests.

Tom

Robin[_3_] July 20th 10 08:10 AM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

FWIW the conditions of use for Oyster
http://www.tfl.gov.uk%2Fassets%2Fdow...uL_YIr_fB1vJpg
do make the distinction between what you "should" and "must" do:

"3.16 Oyster route validators (pink card reader)
Oyster route validators can be identified by a pink card reader:

These are located at a number of interchange stations. If you pass an
Oyster route validator when changing from one train to another, and you
are using your Oyster card to pay as you go for any part of your
journey, you should touch your card on the pink card reader to ensure
you pay the cheapest appropriate Oyster single fare for the route you
are taking.

You must still touch in on a yellow card reader at the start of your
journey and touch out at the end to ensure you pay the correct Oyster
single fare."

(I was sad enough to check when they were introduced at Highbury &
Islington.)

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

skyguy July 20th 10 08:28 AM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but as far as I can
see almost no one ever does. The confusion isn't helped by the fact
that there's yellow validators on the tube platforms, pink validators
just beyond the platforms, yellow ones on the ticket gates at the top,
and special tram ones on that platform - I think people have learnt to
ignore them unless they have to open a gate.

Robin[_3_] July 20th 10 09:24 AM

skyguy wrote:
The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but ...

Well this *is* the same organisation which tells travellers that "dogs
must be carried" before they may use an escalator :)

MIG July 20th 10 10:11 AM

On 20 July, 09:28, skyguy wrote:
The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but as far as I can
see almost no one ever does. The confusion isn't helped by the fact
that there's yellow validators on the tube platforms, pink validators
just beyond the platforms, yellow ones on the ticket gates at the top,
and special tram ones on that platform - I think people have learnt to
ignore them unless they have to open a gate.

The situation has been improved by the acceptance of PAYG on NR.

Previously, at Stratford you could ignore the pads at the end of the
DLR and on the Central platforms and touch out at the barrier.

But at Greenwich, if you didn't spot the validator halfway back down
the DLR platform and headed for the exit, you'd find yourself not
passing a barrier or validator. Now there is one at the main exit and
also the DLR one is a bit better placed.

Paul Scott July 20th 10 01:57 PM

"MIG" wrote in message
On 20 July, 09:28, skyguy wrote:
The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but as far as I can
see almost no one ever does. The confusion isn't helped by the fact
that there's yellow validators on the tube platforms, pink validators
just beyond the platforms, yellow ones on the ticket gates at the top,
and special tram ones on that platform - I think people have learnt to
ignore them unless they have to open a gate.

The situation has been improved by the acceptance of PAYG on NR.

Previously, at Stratford you could ignore the pads at the end of the
DLR and on the Central platforms and touch out at the barrier.

PAYG on NR has only reduced the numbers of people needing the platform
validators, it hasn't allowed the facility to be removed - they are
basically there for people transferring to/from NR services that extend
beyond zone 6, just like those at Wimbledon.

Paul S

Paul Scott July 20th 10 01:58 PM

"skyguy" wrote in message
The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but as far as I can
see almost no one ever does. The confusion isn't helped by the fact
that there's yellow validators on the tube platforms, pink validators
just beyond the platforms, yellow ones on the ticket gates at the top,
and special tram ones on that platform - I think people have learnt to
ignore them unless they have to open a gate.

It isn't a good idea to ignore the tram validator if interchanging either -
if heading onto the tram with PAYG you'll end up with an uncompleted tube/NR
journey depending on origin, and could be caught on the tram without a touch
in. If coming the other way, you'll be in the paid area without touching
in, so will register an unstarted journey when (if) you eventually touch
out.

The yellow platform validators are needed for PAYG passengers transferring
to/from NR services that extend beyond zone 6. Otherwise said passengers
would have to leave and re-enter the main gateline, adding to the
congestion...

Paul S

Tim Roll-Pickering July 20th 10 02:16 PM

Paul Scott wrote:

The situation has been improved by the acceptance of PAYG on NR.

Previously, at Stratford you could ignore the pads at the end of the
DLR and on the Central platforms and touch out at the barrier.

PAYG on NR has only reduced the numbers of people needing the platform
validators, it hasn't allowed the facility to be removed - they are
basically there for people transferring to/from NR services that extend
beyond zone 6, just like those at Wimbledon.

What happens now if one touches on the platform pads when interchanging?
Does it terminate the PAYG journey completely or does touching out further
down the line make it an unnecessary interchange touch?

MIG July 20th 10 02:32 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On 20 July, 15:16, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
The situation has been improved by the acceptance of PAYG on NR.
Previously, at Stratford you could ignore the pads at the end of the
DLR and on the Central platforms and touch out at the barrier.

PAYG on NR has only reduced the numbers of people needing the platform
validators, it hasn't allowed the facility to be removed *- they are
basically there for people transferring to/from NR services that extend
beyond zone 6, just like those at Wimbledon.

What happens now if one touches on the platform pads when interchanging?
Does it terminate the PAYG journey completely or does touching out further
down the line make it an unnecessary interchange touch?

Many have been switched off, like at London Bridge. But I was getting
at the fact that there now always has to be something at the NR exit,
whereas in the past you might have missed the platform validator (as
on the DLR at Greenwich) and then not had the opportunity to pass
another one.

Paul Scott July 20th 10 02:34 PM

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

What happens now if one touches on the platform pads when interchanging?
Does it terminate the PAYG journey completely or does touching out further
down the line make it an unnecessary interchange touch?

Apparently the system sets a sort of 'partial exit' if you are already
touched in; another poster here, 'Mizter T', coined the term 'soft exit'.
If you aren't already touched in it starts a new journey.

Whatever it is called behind the scenes, the journey can continue. I think
it gets sorted out either at a subsequent proper exit through a gateline, or
after some sort of timeout, whichever comes first.

Paul S

MIG July 20th 10 02:43 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On 20 July, 14:58, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"skyguy" wrote in message

[...]

The London Bridge situation doesn't particularly help people who are,
say, arriving from Brighton on a paper ticket and wanting to use PAYG
around London. Maybe they've worked out that you'll always have to
pass through a London Terminals barrier at some point where your paper
ticket would be valid, or else have a cross-London ticket. Are there
working interchange validators at Farringdon?

Mizter T July 20th 10 02:44 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 20, 3:16*pm, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:
The situation has been improved by the acceptance of PAYG on NR.
Previously, at Stratford you could ignore the pads at the end of the
DLR and on the Central platforms and touch out at the barrier.

PAYG on NR has only reduced the numbers of people needing the platform
validators, it hasn't allowed the facility to be removed *- they are
basically there for people transferring to/from NR services that extend
beyond zone 6, just like those at Wimbledon.

What happens now if one touches on the platform pads when interchanging?
Does it terminate the PAYG journey completely or does touching out further
down the line make it an unnecessary interchange touch?

Nothing's changed in the way 'interchange validators' are configured -
but as MIG states they've been turned off at London Bridge (on the NR
Kent through platforms), presumably pending removal at some point - I
suspect this is because they kinda leave a bit of a hole in the system.

MIG July 20th 10 02:56 PM

wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

There are so many other holes though ...

Do you mean they would have allowed people to arrive from Brighton
without a ticket and then use PAYG from London Bridge to Charing Cross
(say)?

Wasn't that always possible before, as long as one proceeded to
Farringdon or some such?

Mizter T July 20th 10 03:03 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 20, 3:43*pm, MIG wrote:

On 20 July, 14:58, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"skyguy" wrote:

[...]

In reality most people arriving from Brighton at London Bridge on a
London Terminals won't be wanting onward travel northbound (into or
through central London) via FCC Thameslink, they'll be transferring to
the Tube (or the bus, or walking from the station etc) - those who do
want onward travel would have sensibly either got a point-to-point
ticket to their destination station (e.g. St Pancras or West
Hampstead), or got an outboundary Day Travelcard from Brighton.

Those arriving in London Bridge for onward travel via suburban
services to destinations in south London could again have got a
through ticket or Travelcard from Brighton, but otherwise if they want
to use Oyster PAYG for such a journey then yes they'd need to pass out
through the gates and then back in using their Oyster card.

In the case of London Bridge I don't think it's really a major issue,
in that I don't think it'll affect that many passengers and for those
it does, it isn't that much of an obstacle.

*Maybe they've worked out that you'll always have to
pass through a London Terminals barrier at some point where your paper
ticket would be valid, or else have a cross-London ticket.

Not quite sure I entirely follow the above in the context of the
discussion, but I think I'm being a bit dense.

Are there working interchange validators at Farringdon?

Good question - I'd expect the ones at Farringdon have remained
operational because of the large flow of passengers from outside of
London who'd want to start or end an Oyster PAYG journey when
transferring to the Underground - but I can't answer definitively as I
haven't noticed either way when passing through recently.

MIG July 20th 10 04:04 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On 20 July, 16:03, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 20, 3:43*pm, MIG wrote:

On 20 July, 14:58, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"skyguy" wrote:

[...]

Well, basically what you said. To get off at, say, Charing Cross,
they'd be covered by their ticket to London Terminals anyway. To go
to St Pancreas or beyond directly, they'd have to have a paper ticket
to somewhere beyond London Terminals (is the extra more than adding
the PAYG?). So the issue was can they validly arrive at London
Terminals and not face a barrier or other validator before changing to
LU, and the possible place was Farringdon, if I've understood that
correctly.

Are there working interchange validators at Farringdon?

Good question - I'd expect the ones at Farringdon have remained
operational because of the large flow of passengers from outside of
London who'd want to start or end an Oyster PAYG journey when
transferring to the Underground - but I can't answer definitively as I
haven't noticed either way when passing through recently.

There are Oystered, but unbarriered, exits at Waterloo East and
Charing Cross in the meantime, which one would have thought were
bigger holes than having them on the platform at London Bridge.

Richard July 20th 10 09:22 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:58:20 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

It isn't a good idea to ignore the tram validator if interchanging either -
if heading onto the tram with PAYG you'll end up with an uncompleted tube/NR
journey depending on origin, and could be caught on the tram without a touch
in.

Yes, but...

If coming the other way, you'll be in the paid area without touching
in, so will register an unstarted journey when (if) you eventually touch
out.

You'll have touched in before getting on the tram... The touch out
follows where you eventually leave the system. Validating at
Wimbledon on the platform after leaving the tram would mean you pay
another tram fare wouldn't it? I'm *sure* this is what happened to me
once when I misunderstood the rules. (In fact, I think I paid three
times but that's another story...)

Richard.

Paul Scott July 20th 10 09:42 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:58:20 +0100, "Paul Scott"

If coming the other way, you'll be in the paid area without touching
in, so will register an unstarted journey when (if) you eventually touch
out.

You'll have touched in before getting on the tram... The touch out
follows where you eventually leave the system. Validating at
Wimbledon on the platform after leaving the tram would mean you pay
another tram fare wouldn't it? I'm *sure* this is what happened to me
once when I misunderstood the rules. (In fact, I think I paid three
times but that's another story...)

If Wimbledon tram stop was outside the station, the main gateline wouldn't
give a toss whether you'd arrived by bus, tram or on foot would it, it would
start a new journey. We've discussed this a few times before, you do have to
touch again at Wimbledon, whether interchanging or exiting...

Paul S

Roy Badami July 20th 10 11:41 PM

On 20/07/10 14:58, Paul Scott wrote:

It isn't a good idea to ignore the tram validator if interchanging
either - if heading onto the tram with PAYG you'll end up with an
uncompleted tube/NR journey depending on origin, and could be caught on
the tram without a touch in.

That bit I understand, I think.

If coming the other way, you'll be in the
paid area without touching in, so will register an unstarted journey
when (if) you eventually touch out.

This bit I'm confused by. I didn't think you ever should touch out on a
tram - I thought they're treated like buses? Interchanging from tram to
tube at Wimbledon doesn't change that rule, does it?

AIUI (based on previous discussions) transferring from tram to tube at
Wimbledon doesn't involve going though any gatelines and doesn't involve
any touching? But I'm not a Tramlink user myself - this whole thing is
beyond me...

-roy

Mizter T July 21st 10 12:43 AM

On Jul 21, 12:41*am, Roy Badami wrote:

On 20/07/10 14:58, Paul Scott wrote:

It isn't a good idea to ignore the tram validator if interchanging
either - if heading onto the tram with PAYG you'll end up with an
uncompleted tube/NR journey depending on origin, and could be caught on
the tram without a touch in.

That bit I understand, I think.

If coming the other way, you'll be in the
paid area without touching in, so will register an unstarted journey
when (if) you eventually touch out.

This bit I'm confused by. *I didn't think you ever should touch out on a
tram - I thought they're treated like buses? *Interchanging from tram to
tube at Wimbledon doesn't change that rule, does it?

I think all Paul is referring to is touching out on the pad on the
automatic gate - you need to do this to get out of the station (and
this is why Wimbledon is a 'special case' for Tramlink, i.e. the tram
stop is within a gated paid-for area.)

AIUI (based on previous discussions) transferring from tram to tube at
Wimbledon doesn't involve going though any gatelines and doesn't involve
any touching? *But I'm not a Tramlink user myself - this whole thing is
beyond me...

You've got that wrong - pax transferring from Tramlink to the Tube or
NR should touch on one of the interchange validators in order to start
their Tube/NR PAYG journey (but not, I think, the validators on the
Tram platform - these validate one for tram travel only).

Going the other way pax should also touch on one of the interchange
validators in order to end their Tube/NR PAYG journey, then touch on
one of the validators on the tram platform to pay for their tram fare.
(I'm not sure if just a single touch on the validator on the Tramlink
platform would serve to both end the Tube/NR journey and pay for the
forthcoming tram journey, but it'd be neat if it did.)

The thing is, in fares terms, the tram is basically a bus. My
understanding is that if you were to touch-in at Ampere Way tram stop,
then transfer at Wimbledon to say the District line to Fulham Broadway
without touching anywhere, then you'd have properly paid your tram
fare, but that's it - you wouldn't have begun a Tube PAYG journey so
would get hit with an unresolved journey charge on exit at Fulham
B'way, and furthermore would have been travelling without a proper
ticket from Wimbledon up to Fulham B'way (hence liable to a PF).

The basic thing is the system doesn't string it all together as a Tram
plus Tube/NR journey. This does I think actually make sense - let's
say you travel by tram from Ampere Way, get off at Merton Road tram
stop, meet a friend then walk down the road to Wimbledon Chase NR
station and touch-in (no gates here, just validators) - if the system
was designed to be too clever for its own boots it could assume you'd
travelled via Wimbledon and this was the end of your journey, hence
when you got to (say) Sutton you'd get hit with the unresolved journey
charge plus you'd have been ticketless and thus liable to a PF (or
more) on your Wimbledon Chase to Sutton journey. Hence, the system
doesn't try and make presumptions to do this, thus the need for some
intermediate validation at Wimbledon.

I trust that doesn't make sense. ;-)

Roy Badami July 21st 10 03:13 AM

On 21/07/10 01:43, Mizter T wrote:

The basic thing is the system doesn't string it all together as a Tram
plus Tube/NR journey. This does I think actually make sense - let's
say you travel by tram from Ampere Way, get off at Merton Road tram
stop, meet a friend then walk down the road to Wimbledon Chase NR
station and touch-in (no gates here, just validators) - if the system
was designed to be too clever for its own boots it could assume you'd
travelled via Wimbledon and this was the end of your journey, hence
when you got to (say) Sutton you'd get hit with the unresolved journey
charge plus you'd have been ticketless and thus liable to a PF (or
more) on your Wimbledon Chase to Sutton journey. Hence, the system
doesn't try and make presumptions to do this, thus the need for some
intermediate validation at Wimbledon.

Well, similar to the kind of problem that OSI's sometimes create. But
yes, that does make sense; thanks for the detailed reply. I'm sure I
did understand that once, probably last time you explained it on this
group :-)

What I was failing to grasp (although I knew, really) is that since a
tram is like a bus, it's two journeys. I would never expect that I
could get off a bus and onto the tube without touching in, but then
buses don't stop on the paid side of the gateline, so the situation is
rather more intuitive.

-roy

Paul Scott July 21st 10 11:16 AM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Jul 21, 12:41 am, Roy Badami wrote:

On 20/07/10 14:58, Paul Scott wrote:

If coming the other way, you'll be in the
paid area without touching in, so will register an unstarted journey
when (if) you eventually touch out.

This bit I'm confused by. I didn't think you ever should touch out on a
tram - I thought they're treated like buses? Interchanging from tram to
tube at Wimbledon doesn't change that rule, does it?

I think all Paul is referring to is touching out on the pad on the
automatic gate - you need to do this to get out of the station (and
this is why Wimbledon is a 'special case' for Tramlink, i.e. the tram
stop is within a gated paid-for area.)

I was trying to get across the general case that if you got off the tram and
did nothing at Wimbledon, when you touched out at 'some other station' you'd
have been travelling without a tube/rail touch in, and the gates would
charge a max cash fare on the grounds the journey was unstarted. You'd also
be subject to a PF if checked en route.

This would also be true for a touch out on the barrier line at Wimbledon if
you hadn't used the special validator when getting off the tram, as I
understand it from previous discussions...

Paul S

[email protected] July 21st 10 01:48 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:16:18 +0100
"Paul Scott" wrote:
I was trying to get across the general case that if you got off the tram and
did nothing at Wimbledon, when you touched out at 'some other station' you'd
have been travelling without a tube/rail touch in, and the gates would
charge a max cash fare on the grounds the journey was unstarted. You'd also
be subject to a PF if checked en route.

You can't get a penalty fare if you have a valid oyster card that has
enough money to pay a max fare on it. Unless an oyster is now only valid
if its touched in which would make an interesting legal case if someone
decided to challenge that.

B2003

David Walters July 21st 10 02:29 PM

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:48:11 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:
You can't get a penalty fare if you have a valid oyster card that has
enough money to pay a max fare on it. Unless an oyster is now only valid
if its touched in

If you don't have a seasion ticket that is the case. From the Conditions
of Carriage:

"If you do not touch in at the start and touch out at the end of your
journey, you may be charged more than the advertised Oyster single fare
and this journey will not be included in any daily price capping. You
may also be liable to a Penalty fare or you may be prosecuted. "

David

Robin[_3_] July 21st 10 02:31 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

You can't get a penalty fare if you have a valid oyster card that has
enough money to pay a max fare on it. Unless an oyster is now only
valid if its touched in which would make an interesting legal case if
someone decided to challenge that.

How please do arrive at that given the conditions of use when using an
Oyster card to travel on National Rail services include for PAYG:

"3.13 At the station where you start your journey, you must touch your
Oyster card flat on a yellow card reader (see clause 3.4) at the
station. A charge, as set by the Train Companies and TfL, will be
deducted from the balance on your Oyster card. You will not be allowed
to start your journey unless you have a sufficient pay as you go credit
on your Oyster card as is deemed necessary by the Train Operators and
TfL for you to pay for your journey.

At the end of your journey, you must touch your Oyster card flat on a
yellow card reader at the station as you exit. The amount deducted at
the start of your journey will, as required, be adjusted so that you
only pay the advertised Oyster single fare for the journey made.

If you do not touch in at the station where you start your journey and
touch out at the station where you end your journey, you may be charged
more than the advertised Oyster single fare, and any daily price cap to
which you may be entitled will not apply. You may also be liable to a
Penalty Fare and/or you may be prosecuted."

TFL's conditions of carriage seem to provide similarly:

"6.7.3. Paying as you go on the Underground, DLR, London Overground and
National Rail within the National Rail pay as you go area

To record the start of your journey, you must touch your Oyster card
flat on a yellow card reader (see clause 6.8.) at the station as you
enter the compulsory ticket area. A charge, as set by TfL, will be
deducted from the balance on your Oyster card. You will not be allowed
to start your journey unless you have sufficient pay as you go credit on
your Oyster card.

To record the end of your journey, you must touch your Oyster card flat
on a yellow card reader (see clause 6.8.) at the station as you exit the
compulsory ticket area. The deduction made at the start of your journey
will be adjusted so that you only pay the advertised Oyster single fare
for the journey made.

If you do not touch in at the start and touch out at the end of your
journey, you may be charged more than the advertised Oyster single fare
and this journey will not be included in any daily price capping. You
may also be liable to a Penalty fare or you may be prosecuted."

IANAL but that seems to me pretty tight. Or is there eg some wizard HRA
challenge to the whole penalty fare regime built on the 1999 GLA Act?

Mizter T July 21st 10 02:48 PM

"Paul Scott" wrote:
I was trying to get across the general case that if you got off the tram and
did nothing at Wimbledon, when you touched out at 'some other station' you'd
have been travelling without a tube/rail touch in, and the gates would
charge a max cash fare on the grounds the journey was unstarted. You'd also
be subject to a PF if checked en route.

You can't get a penalty fare if you have a valid oyster card that has
enough money to pay a max fare on it. Unless an oyster is now only valid
if its touched in which would make an interesting legal case if someone
decided to challenge that.

That's simply nonsense and completely wrong - if you don't have a
validated Oyster card then you are travelling without a ticket and are
liable to a PF or prosecution. This is what all the posters and signs
say, for example these ones on the interior of doors on Tube trains:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mixthem...te/4019285039/

Also, see the TfL website he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14436.aspx
---quote---
If you don't have a valid ticket or you don't touch in if using Oyster
pay as you go, you may have to pay a penalty fare or we may prosecute
you.
---/quote---

If there was no requirement to touch-in, then that would leave a
massive hole open - bods would travel in either the knowledge or hope
that the station at the other end didn't have gates (applies to a
great many NR stations in London), hence there'd be no barrier in the
way that would force them to touch-out (voila, a free ride), or else
in the hope that the gates at the far end would be open and hence
unsupervised.

[email protected] July 21st 10 02:54 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter T wrote:
That's simply nonsense and completely wrong - if you don't have a
validated Oyster card then you are travelling without a ticket and are
liable to a PF or prosecution. This is what all the posters and signs
say, for example these ones on the interior of doors on Tube trains:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mixthem...te/4019285039/

I'd love to see them try that on in court. A valid ticket is a valid ticket
whether its been touched in or not whatever their conditions say. Those
conditions are not a legal document. Unless they can PROVE that they would
have lost money by the ticket not being touched in I don't see a court in
the country upholding a prosecution.

B2003

Mizter T July 21st 10 03:11 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 21, 12:16*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's all correct.

This would also be true for a touch out on the barrier line at Wimbledon if
you hadn't used the special validator when getting off the tram, as I
understand it from previous discussions...

No, that's not correct. So long as one has correctly touched-in at a
tram stop before travelling to Wimbledon, then if the journey is
finishing at Wimbledon (and the passenger is thus exiting the station)
there's no requirement to touch on anything again on the tram platform
after alighting from the tram. The Oyster readers on the gates at
Wimbledon will correctly identify that you're an exiting tram
passenger who's paid their fare and will let you through (and if the
gates are locked open then you wouldn't even need to touch-out on the
gate's Oyster reader, though of course you can still do so).

However if you're *entering* Wimbledon station then after passing
through the gates you *are* requirement to touch on the Oyster reader
on the tram platform - failure to do so will result in the system
assuming one was to make a Tube/NR journey, and hence charging the max
fare because one didn't touch-out at a Tube/NR station having
completed a Tube/NR journey.

(Incidentally, if a tram passenger did alight at Wimbledon then touch
on one of the Oyster readers on the tram platform, then it's quite
possible there'd be no ill-effect - Tramlink allows one 'free
transfer' using Oyster from tram to tram, as any Tramlink destination
can be reached by using just two trams - this is implemented by
allowing a second 'free' touch-in at a tram stop within IIRC 70
minutes of the first touch-in. Therefore by my reading of things if a
passenger arriving at Wimbledon mistakenly touches on one of the tram
platform validators they wouldn't be charged for another tram journey
unless they've already used up their 'free transfer' - the same
applies for anyone getting off a tram anywhere else on the system and
erroneously thinking they need to touch-out.)

Mizter T July 21st 10 03:18 PM

Mizter T wrote:
That's simply nonsense and completely wrong - if you don't have a
validated Oyster card then you are travelling without a ticket and are
liable to a PF or prosecution. This is what all the posters and signs
say, for example these ones on the interior of doors on Tube trains:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mixthem...te/4019285039/

I'd love to see them try that on in court. A valid ticket is a valid ticket
whether its been touched in or not whatever their conditions say. Those
conditions are not a legal document. Unless *they can PROVE that they would
have lost money by the ticket not being touched in I don't see a court in
the country upholding a prosecution.

You really think that? All the TfL blurb - including all the small
print (i.e. the conditions of carriage - which *is* a legal document)
- makes clear that an Oyster card is only a valid ticket if it's been
validated (at least when being used for PAYG) - an un-validated Oyster
card is therefore not a valid ticket.

I'm pretty sure there'll have been successful prosecutions to this
effect already. But feel free to attempt to put yourself in this
position so you can try your flawed argument out...!

Paul Terry[_2_] July 21st 10 03:42 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

In message , d
writes

I'd love to see them try that on in court.

They already have:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-cost-10000.do

The case goes to appeal next month.
--
Paul Terry

Paul Scott July 21st 10 03:49 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Jul 21, 12:16 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

This would also be true for a touch out on the barrier line at Wimbledon
if
you hadn't used the special validator when getting off the tram, as I
understand it from previous discussions...

No, that's not correct. So long as one has correctly touched-in at a
tram stop before travelling to Wimbledon, then if the journey is
finishing at Wimbledon (and the passenger is thus exiting the station)
there's no requirement to touch on anything again on the tram platform
after alighting from the tram. The Oyster readers on the gates at
Wimbledon will correctly identify that you're an exiting tram
passenger who's paid their fare and will let you through (and if the
gates are locked open then you wouldn't even need to touch-out on the
gate's Oyster reader, though of course you can still do so).

Thanks for the correction - I'm sure that's been the previous explanation,
but we live and learn...

Paul S

MIG July 21st 10 04:17 PM

On 21 July, 15:29, David Walters wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:48:11 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
You can't get a penalty fare if you have a valid oyster card that has
enough money to pay a max fare on it. Unless an oyster is now only valid
if its touched in

If you don't have a seasion ticket that is the case. From the Conditions
of Carriage:

"If you do not touch in at the start and touch out at the end of your
journey, you may be charged more than the advertised Oyster single fare
and this journey will not be included in any daily price capping. You
may also be liable to a Penalty fare or you may be prosecuted. *"

David

Where does a "journey" start? Less of an issue now with PAYG on NR,
but in the past it came up with people travelling on Oyster seasons
from, say, Slade green and changing to the DLR at Greenwich, with an
zone 1 - 6 season on Oyster, and all that silliness about having to
touch in on the DLR even with a season, "at the start of your journey".

Mizter T July 21st 10 04:23 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 21, 4:49*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

On Jul 21, 12:16 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
[...]

No probs, and if that was my previous explanation, then apologies for
it being unclear or misleading! I'm pretty much 100% certain this is
how it's been since the coming of Oyster.

Incidentally I recall being rather unimpressed at the information
provided at Wimbledon when Oyster first arrived, though eventually
posters were displayed which were sort-of helpful. I'm not sure of
what the situation is like there now (post PAYG on NR), haven't been
there for a while, but I did stop by at Elmers End a couple of months
or so ago (was actually driving past) to have a look at what
information and advice was displayed for Oyster users - and I was
disappointed to find that there was nothing at all. (Elmers End isn't
gated, by the way.)

Paul Terry[_2_] July 21st 10 04:48 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

In message
,
Mizter T writes

Incidentally I recall being rather unimpressed at the information
provided at Wimbledon when Oyster first arrived, though eventually
posters were displayed which were sort-of helpful. I'm not sure of
what the situation is like there now

Last time I was there, the need to touch out at the ticket gates was
clearly signed, but a further degree of confusion was added by a notice
not to use the yellow reader adjacent to the manual gate when leaving
the station!

--
Paul Terry

Mizter T July 21st 10 06:08 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 21, 5:48 pm, Paul Terry wrote:

In message
,
Mizter T writes

Incidentally I recall being rather unimpressed at the information
provided at Wimbledon when Oyster first arrived, though eventually
posters were displayed which were sort-of helpful. I'm not sure of
what the situation is like there now

Last time I was there, the need to touch out at the ticket gates was
clearly signed, but a further degree of confusion was added by a notice
not to use the yellow reader adjacent to the manual gate when leaving
the station!

OK, well I can say things have changed since you were there - sometime last
year I think the manual side gates were replaced with the "WAGs", that is
the wide-aisle gates (as opposed to ticket checks being done by Coleen
Rooney, Abigail Clancy et al [1]).

I assume that the standalone reader next to the manual gate caused some sort
of issue here because it was directionally ambiguous - i.e. it couldn't tell
whether a passenger was entering or leaving the system. Touching an Oyster
on a gate meanwhile isn't ambiguous at all - it's a definitive indicator of
either an entry or an exit.

So that's one issue less to contend with at least!

-----
[1] I did need to google for this, BTW!

skyguy July 21st 10 09:29 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

I should never have mentioned the Wimbledon tram issue! The point was
really about the pink validators...

Richard July 21st 10 10:42 PM

Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:11:45 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

[...] So long as one has correctly touched-in at a
tram stop before travelling to Wimbledon, then if the journey is
finishing at Wimbledon (and the passenger is thus exiting the station)
there's no requirement to touch on anything again on the tram platform
after alighting from the tram. [...]

I wouldn't touch again on the platform, as I said I paid again once
that way: fair enough, you could argue that the free transfer wouldn't
apply at terminals.

Thanks for the explanations, everyone, and sorry to go on about it.
Wimbledon is clearly an extra large can of worms. The signage there
is *completely* insufficient if all we read above is true (no reason
to think not) and there should be announcements on the tram as well -
there are about every other bloody thing.

I am a great supporter of Oyster (except Network Railcard) but at
this one station, and maybe a few others, could things not be
improved?

My earlier post now seems off-topic as we were supposed to be talking
about route validators. I didn't know there was one there, clearly my
mistake. But then, the current "Getting Around with Oyster" (May
2010) doesn't refer to what to do at Wimbedon when leaving the network
somewhere else:

"I get the tram to/from Wimbledon station.
What should I do?

If you travel by tram to Wimbledon, always
touch in at the start of your journey and touch
out at the station gates when leaving the
station. Do not use the yellow card reader on
the manual gate when you exit. When travelling
by tram from Wimbledon, always touch in at the
station gates and again at the yellow card reader
on the tram platform before boarding."

The route validators in the Wimbledon tram case are not always
fulfiling their usual purpose of indicating a [cheaper] route taken.
They are, as I think Mizter T pointed out weeks ago, also able to
record an "in" and thus avoid a penalty.

I can now see that I have over-paid on a recent journey via Wimbledon
where I didn't validate there.

[Previous balance £20.10]
22:21 Carshalton [National Rail] Entry - £4.30 £15.80
22:32 Mitcham Junction Tramstop Entry £0.00 £15.80
^^ Why not a tram fare? Earlier cap?
23:06 Surbiton [National Rail] Exit - £4.30 £11.50
Total: £8.60.

Total for the day £13.70 instead of a £5.10 Zone 2-6 cap.

Interesting that on the unlisted outward journey, the Wimbledon tram
validator recorded an exit rather than a bus-like entry. Anyway,
setting this all out like this has helped me understand exactly what
happened, so I might as well click "send" and share the pain.

Thanks,

Richard.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...r_may_2010.pdf