Old July 30th 10, 11:49 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default day out in london - suggestions

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, 1506 wrote:

Chalk Farm/Primrose Hill area is fun to explore on foot. There is the
hill itself which gives a god view over London.

Hmm, i'm not an expert on geography or theology, but i wouldn't have said
it was *that* tall.

tom

--
Come with me, and we'll go dreaming.

Old July 30th 10, 11:51 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 30, 12:41 pm, GazK wrote:

I have a day out in London and surrounding environs lined up in the
next couple of weeks. I would like to spend the day exploring the
quirky, out of the way or interesting railways in greater London. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Well that is a subjective question; one man?s eclectic is another's
every day sight.

For me the North London Line is always interesting. It passes thru
varied territory, passing numerous other lines.

Seconded. I always find it particularly interesting to see the freight
trains, knowing they've come from Felixstowe and are on their way to the
remote north.

tom

--
Come with me, and we'll go dreaming.

Old July 31st 10, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 30 July, 22:54, Kevin Ashley wrote:
1506 wrote:
On Jul 30, 12:41 pm, GazK wrote:
I have a day out in London and surrounding environs lined up in the
next couple of weeks. I would like to spend the day exploring the
quirky, out of the way or interesting railways in greater London. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Well that is a subjective question; one man’s eclectic is another's
every day sight.

Indeed - although I would agree with your suggestions as well as
Peter Masson's mention of the DLR. (There's an interesting
view of the old railway infrastructure and the new combined
from street level along Brick Lane, which I saw for the first
time only a couple of weeks ago.)

Another thought may be stretching the definition - the parkland
walk which follows part of the route of the old LNER railway
from Finsbury Park to Edgware.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkland_Walk

There's no rail any more, but some structures such as platforms
and station buildings remain. One end is next to Finsbury Park
(interesting in itself, with one old station building now used
as commercial premises) and the other to Highgate tube.

You can also cover part of the route that curves round towards Muswell
HIll, at the start of which you get a view of the Northern Line
Highgate depot that no service trains ever go past.
Old July 31st 10, 10:26 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:51:25 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:
For me the North London Line is always interesting. It passes thru
varied territory, passing numerous other lines.

Seconded. I always find it particularly interesting to see the freight
trains, knowing they've come from Felixstowe and are on their way to the
remote north.

The *remote north*? You mean places like Birmingham?

Or perhaps Cricklewood? ;-)

Old July 31st 10, 10:35 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:37:48 -0700 (PDT), tony
wrote:

The Chesham branch of the Met is totally unlike the rest of the
UndergrounD. More like a country branch.

The only problem is the long trip over "the rest of the UndergrounD"
to get there.

Also, there is nothing particularly remarkable about Chesham when you
get there, except perhaps the Old Town, but that is quite a long walk
from the station.

I would second others' recommendations of the Docklands Light Railway
- surely the best tourist bargain in London - plus the North London
Line and the recently extended East London Line. For sheer numbers of
trains there are Clapham Junction and Stratford, the latter having a
far greater variety of trains than just about anywhere else in London.

Old July 31st 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

The Chesham branch of the Met is totally unlike the rest of the
UndergrounD. More like a country branch.

The only problem is the long trip over "the rest of the UndergrounD"
to get there.

Also, there is nothing particularly remarkable about Chesham when you
get there, except perhaps the Old Town, but that is quite a long walk
from the station.

I would second others' recommendations of the Docklands Light Railway

So would I.

And it is well worth visiting one of the pedestrian tunnels at Greenwich or
Woolwich though now that the DLR goes under the river the stations aren't as
convenient for this as they once were

tim

Old July 31st 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:
For me the North London Line is always interesting. It passes thru
varied territory, passing numerous other lines.

Seconded. I always find it particularly interesting to see the freight
trains, knowing they've come from Felixstowe and are on their way to the
remote north.

The *remote north*?

Willesden Junction, where i assume the trains fall off the edge of the
world.

You mean places like Birmingham?

Or perhaps Cricklewood? ;-)

Never heard of 'em!

tom

--
I have no idea if its infected or anything, I don't check for viruses. Its
gay. -- The Laird
Old July 31st 10, 02:35 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:
For me the North London Line is always interesting. It passes thru
varied territory, passing numerous other lines.

Seconded. I always find it particularly interesting to see the freight
trains, knowing they've come from Felixstowe and are on their way to the
remote north.

The *remote north*?

Willesden Junction, where i assume the trains fall off the edge of the
world.

You can be forgiven for thinking that Willesden Junction is the edge
of the world. ;-)

Old August 1st 10, 05:13 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

For me the North London Line is always interesting. *It passes thru
varied territory, passing numerous other lines. *Now that is has
undergone a rebuild, I think it would be especially worth exploring.

Especially now the line has those new units.

The NNL has suffered in the past from generations of trains that
didn’t really provide for a great travelling experience for an
enthusiast.

I made the effort to travel the line whilst Anglia were still
providing a through service from Basingstoke to Colchester.

A class 170 is no bad thing and first class in those Anglia units
(available for a very modest weekend upgrade) was one of the finest
first class environments to be had on the railway at the time.

I wonder if that is still the case?