Old December 4th 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Is it just me or has the tube gone down the tubes?

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...
(Niklas Karlsson) wrote the following in:

Is there anything stopping LU from putting a few bins in the
carriages?

Yes. Terrorism.

Presumably the 465s and 466s that South Eastern run are better targets,
then. I see that they have bins just by the doors.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old December 8th 03, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote in message .1.4...
(Niklas Karlsson) wrote the following in:

In article , only meee
wrote:

Once boarded a "First train" early in the morn and went just two
stops and noticed where the only other person had sat was a fresh
Banana skin after he alighted - left for the cleaners and other
passengers. and that was about 5.30AM.
Most people see the tube trains as a dumping ground as well as a
moving restaurant (19 hrs a day)

Is there anything stopping LU from putting a few bins in the
carriages?

Yes. Terrorism.

That of course is a load of rubbish. Just like the problem. The
problem is that if you have bins they have to be emptied occassionaly.
And with the large amounts of people using the tube most and the fact
most of them would put their rubbish in the bin means that they would
have to be emptied very regular not just when they taken out of
service.
Because London Underground has to by law provide at least 3 people
doing nothing at ticket gates as well as 2 people on platforms doing
nothing and not to mention the many thousands of staff it has to
employ across the network to sit in the infomation kiosk reading The
Sun (Obviously News Of The World on Sundays) sadly it does not have
the resources in order to employ people (or pay for a contractor to
screw London Underground out of loads of money for doing a rubbish job
and then not bother to do anything about the contractor) to empty bins
then it must of course cry about terrorism meaning they can't put bins
on stations or on trains. And you commuters must take your rubbish
home with you and if the trains and stations are covered in rubbish
and grattifi and attract rats then its not their fault. Its them
horrible commuters who insit on bringing newspapers to read.
The threat of terrorism isn't going to vanish because there are no
bins on stations. Here is a radical approach to Central London deep
underground station and train cleaniness. Instead of having idle
Startion Assistants sitting around stations all day. Outside of rush
hours having them cleaning the stations. Get them on a train for a few
stops collecting rubbish and then get them on a train back to their
station where they work.
Old December 8th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , CJG Now
Thankfully Living In The North writes
[...]
Because London Underground has to by law provide at least 3 people
doing nothing at ticket gates as well as 2 people on platforms doing
nothing

Which law would that be?
I need to quote it the very next time I see a manager.

and not to mention the many thousands of staff it has to
employ across the network to sit in the infomation kiosk reading The
Sun (Obviously News Of The World on Sundays)

We only ever read the Metro because it's free and on Sundays we read the
previous week's copies with the help of the big dictionary that's
usually chained up in the supervisor's office, to look up the long
words..

sadly it does not have
the resources in order to employ people (or pay for a contractor to
screw London Underground out of loads of money for doing a rubbish job
and then not bother to do anything about the contractor) to empty bins
then it must of course cry about terrorism meaning they can't put bins
on stations or on trains. And you commuters must take your rubbish
home with you and if the trains and stations are covered in rubbish
and grattifi and attract rats then its not their fault.

No, can't blame the rats; they have rights too.

Its them
horrible commuters who insit on bringing newspapers to read.

Of course!
Why didn't I think of that?
But who brings the half eaten burgers, beer cans and piles of vomit?
Bet it's those evil rats again.. course, it could be those diabolical
pigeons!
I'm pretty sure they're the ones who make the puddles at the end of our
eastbound late at night...

The threat of terrorism isn't going to vanish because there are no
bins on stations. Here is a radical approach to Central London deep
underground station and train cleaniness. Instead of having idle
Startion Assistants sitting around stations all day. Outside of rush
hours having them cleaning the stations. Get them on a train for a few
stops collecting rubbish and then get them on a train back to their
station where they work.

And put all those GBM cleaners out of work?
You are a heartless beast.
Don't mind giving it a try though; I've always wanted to have a go with
one of those picky-up things they use...
(more fun than the sticky-stick in between trains)
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Old December 8th 03, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...

The threat of terrorism isn't going to vanish because there are no
bins on stations.

Were they got rid of so as to make terrorism vanish?

Instead of having idle
Station Assistants sitting around stations all day. Outside of rush
hours having them cleaning the stations.

Why not all day?
Alan

Old December 9th 03, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...

Here is a radical approach to Central London deep
underground station and train cleaniness. Instead of having idle
Startion Assistants sitting around stations all day. Outside of rush
hours having them cleaning the stations.

In the dim and distant past, Railmen used to clean the station off-peak and
carry out platform duties during the peak. During the "cost effective"
driven days on the early ninties railmen were got rid of and contractors
were employed to do the cleaning. Some years later, some bright spark
realised that trains were being delayed because there was nobody carrying
out platform duties so introduced Station Assistant (Train Services) - SATS.

Would you like that wheel turned full circle, so you can moan about even
more LUL staff being employed, rather than contractors, who are cheaper?

Old December 9th 03, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

But who brings the half eaten burgers, beer cans and piles of vomit?

That would be the people who avoid buying a ticket because its
unlikely they will be have much problem getting through ticket
barriers (if they are opreational) and its unlikely they will be
challenged at the ticket barrier or very unlikely they will be asked
to see their ticket on the train
Old December 9th 03, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Would you like that wheel turned full circle, so you can moan about even
more LUL staff being employed, rather than contractors, who are cheaper?

I would like London Underground managers to control staff numbers and
duties so that their is an effective use of labour.