Old August 6th 10, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Derisory sentences for cycle thieves

On 6 Aug, 08:06, Paul wrote:
On 5 Aug, 21:50, Arthur Figgis wrote:

On 05/08/2010 11:55, Paul wrote:

It would be nice if it was just "once" that you could see a cyclist on
the pavement, going through red lights etc. But it happens on a daily
basis.

Yes, of course it does. Just as cars go through red lights on a daily
basis, train passengers fare dodge on a daily basis, people have overdue
library books and walk on the grass on a daily basis.

--
Arthur Figgis * * * * * * * * Surrey, UK

The fact that car drivers, train passengers, pedestrians who walk on
the grass and people with overdue library books break the rules does
not excuse cyclists. Still, throw some mud and see if it sticks.

Doesn't mud-throwing generally involve general crimes and a specific
person?

And non-sequiturs are a thing too.

Old August 6th 10, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:29PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

bikes can't easily go backwards.

Really? They could when I were a lad.

Human Rights left unattended may be removed,
destroyed, or damaged by the security services.
Old August 6th 10, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010\08\06 16:51, David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:29PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:

bikes can't easily go backwards.

Really? They could when I were a lad.

They do when ever I try to ride them up Highgate Hill.
Old August 6th 10, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 6 Aug, 16:51, David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:29PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
bikes can't easily go backwards.

Really? *They could when I were a lad.

Fixed wheel bikes are still used for some purposes. I've never ridden
one though.
Old August 6th 10, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/08/2010 16:54, MIG wrote:
On 6 Aug, 16:51, David wrote:
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:29PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
bikes can't easily go backwards.

Really? They could when I were a lad.

Fixed wheel bikes are still used for some purposes. I've never ridden
one though.

Neither have I, though I tried a unicycle, which had "direct drive".
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old August 9th 10, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:54:47AM -0700, MIG wrote:
On 6 Aug, 16:51, David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:29PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
bikes can't easily go backwards.

Really? =A0They could when I were a lad.

Fixed wheel bikes are still used for some purposes. I've never ridden
one though.

They're mostly used by couriers, and so mostly used for riding through
red lights.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
but that's no reason not to give it -- Agatha Christie
Old August 9th 10, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 9, 12:08*pm, David Cantrell wrote:

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:54:47AM -0700, MIG wrote:

On 6 Aug, 16:51, David Cantrell wrote:

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:29PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
bikes can't easily go backwards.
Really? They could when I were a lad.

Fixed wheel bikes are still used for some purposes. *I've never ridden
one though.

They're mostly used by couriers, and so mostly used for riding through
red lights.

Not true any more - 'fixies' have become very fashionable of late,
they're the choice cycle of all sorts of folk - well, trendy folk.
Old August 9th 10, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 6, 4:54*pm, MIG wrote:

On 6 Aug, 16:51, David Cantrell wrote:

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:29PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
bikes can't easily go backwards.

Really? *They could when I were a lad.

Fixed wheel bikes are still used for some purposes. *I've never ridden
one though.

Fixed wheel bikes have become pretty popular of late in London, at
least amongst modish folk.

Quite a different riding experience, but actually fairly well suited
to nipping around un-mountainous London town, though if one were
intending to ascend the hills of say Highgate or Crystal Palace on a
regular basis then I think they might not be the wisest choice! (The
way of handling a hill of any substance is basically to absolutely
hammer it right up to the top.)