Old January 28th 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Cycle parking at stations

Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both
groups.

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything
suitable nearby? How secure is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Jack

Old January 28th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Jack Tyson wrote:
Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

There are free cycle parking stands outside Waterloo (can't remember if
covered or not). I've not used them regularly but have managed to find a
space even in peak times when scores of bikes are locked up there. Only
security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or
tampered with if it looks poorer than average!

There may be some additional secure facicilities for all I know.
Hopefully a regular user of the station will fill you in more.

~PB

Old January 28th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Jack Tyson wrote:
Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both
groups.

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything
suitable nearby? How secure is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of secure
cycle parking at Waterloo and Victoria Stations

Tony

Old January 28th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

"Jack Tyson" wrote in message

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Say goodbye to station bike parking misery with New, Improved Brompton!

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old January 28th 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of
secure cycle parking at Waterloo and Victoria Stations

Looks good but at £34 per month it would be cheaper to buy an extra hack
bike.

~PB

Old January 28th 04, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:35:45 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Jack Tyson wrote:
Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

There are free cycle parking stands outside Waterloo (can't remember if
covered or not). I've not used them regularly but have managed to find a
space even in peak times when scores of bikes are locked up there. Only
security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or
tampered with if it looks poorer than average!

Hmm. I've got one of these
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg

Cost £200.

Would you say it's likely to look better or poorer than average?

If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look
rubbish..?

--
Jack
Old January 28th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:11:36 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of
secure cycle parking at Waterloo and Victoria Stations

Looks good but at £34 per month it would be cheaper to buy an extra hack
bike.

I agree, it's quite pricey. Might try a week for £9 until I work up
the courage to chance it with the free stands!

--
Jack
Old January 28th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:53:35 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

"Jack Tyson" wrote in message

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Say goodbye to station bike parking misery with New, Improved Brompton!

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

Ah, if only I could justify/afford the expense!

--
Jack
Old January 28th 04, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

wrote:

security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or
tampered with if it looks poorer than average!

Hmm. I've got one of these
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg
Cost £200.
Would you say it's likely to look better or poorer than average?
If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look
rubbish..?

Better.Dont know about Waterloo, but that bike would be the most expensive
at the stations I visit.
You need to fit thin tyres, drop handlebars and a worn saddle to make it
'fit-in'.(as well as a complete lack of shiny parts visible).
Maybe best to get a £30 old road bike, and lock it up with the cheapest
lock possible - thieves wont touch it then.
Alan.

--
To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
Old January 28th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

A.Lee wrote:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg

Dont know about Waterloo, but that bike would be the most
expensive at the stations I visit.

There are pelnty of bikes like that at Waterloo.

~PB