London Banter

-   -   Red and White bus stops (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11072-red-white-bus-stops.html)

MaxB August 5th 10 04:11 PM

Red and White bus stops

Although the word Request has been retained, Compulsory melted away
some years ago, so I have used Red and White instead!

Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?
I also noticed that the White stop was the second one in a row I had
passed. I thought, outside central London at least, they were at least
alternated? Are there any rules about what colour is chosen?

MaxB

Michael R N Dolbear August 5th 10 11:57 PM

Red and White bus stops

MaxB wrote

Although the word Request has been retained, Compulsory melted away
some years ago, so I have used Red and White instead!

Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is

fairly ordinary residential/A Road?
I also noticed that the White stop was the second one in a row I had
passed. I thought, outside central London at least, they were at

least
alternated? Are there any rules about what colour is chosen?

The answer is "it depends" nor is there always a stop "on the other
side".

I assume that Richmond isn't central London, yet there is a sequence of
three White stops, all well patronised.

I also know of routes that have, say, five stops going one way and six
the other thus destroying your suggested alternation.

--
Mike D

[email protected] August 8th 10 09:16 AM

Red and White bus stops

On Aug 5, 5:11*pm, MaxB wrote:

Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?

How many places in the world have any compulsory stops
apart from where the bus starts, ends or waits for time?

Clive August 9th 10 02:31 AM

Red and White bus stops

In message
,
writes
On Aug 5, 5:11*pm, MaxB wrote:
Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?

How many places in the world have any compulsory stops
apart from where the bus starts, ends or waits for time?

Aren't compulsory stops, Fare Stages?
--
Clive

Mizter T August 9th 10 11:06 AM

Red and White bus stops

On Aug 9, 3:31*am, Clive wrote:

wrote:

On Aug 5, 5:11*pm, MaxB wrote:
Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?

How many places in the world have any compulsory stops
apart from where the bus starts, ends or waits for time?

Aren't compulsory stops, Fare Stages?

I don't think Fare Stages exist in London any more - London buses have
been flat fare for the past several years, and I don't think there's
any usage of Fare Stages 'behind the scenes' either.

Ken Wheatley August 9th 10 06:29 PM

Red and White bus stops

On 2010-08-09 03:31:33 +0100, Clive said:

In message
,
writes
On Aug 5, 5:11*pm, MaxB wrote:
Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?

How many places in the world have any compulsory stops
apart from where the bus starts, ends or waits for time?

Aren't compulsory stops, Fare Stages?

There was always a misconception that that was the case caused, I
think, by the fact that compulsory stops are often at important
locations that were also fare stages. But not all compulsory stops were
fare stages, and not all fare stages were compulsory.

Roland Perry August 10th 10 06:39 AM

Red and White bus stops

In message
, at
02:16:32 on Sun, 8 Aug 2010, remarked:
How many places in the world have any compulsory stops
apart from where the bus starts, ends or waits for time

A couple from my own travels:

In Geneva, every bus stop appears to be compulsory, even when there's
no-one stood there. So the buses stop for an instant, then move off
again. In Atlanta, Georgia, many of the bus stops are co-located with
metro stations (and also inside a joint compulsory ticket zone), and I
expect they are compulsory.