Old August 5th 10, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Red and White bus stops

Although the word Request has been retained, Compulsory melted away
some years ago, so I have used Red and White instead!

Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?
I also noticed that the White stop was the second one in a row I had
passed. I thought, outside central London at least, they were at least
alternated? Are there any rules about what colour is chosen?

MaxB

Old August 5th 10, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MaxB wrote

Although the word Request has been retained, Compulsory melted away
some years ago, so I have used Red and White instead!

Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is

fairly ordinary residential/A Road?
I also noticed that the White stop was the second one in a row I had
passed. I thought, outside central London at least, they were at

least
alternated? Are there any rules about what colour is chosen?

The answer is "it depends" nor is there always a stop "on the other
side".

I assume that Richmond isn't central London, yet there is a sequence of
three White stops, all well patronised.

I also know of routes that have, say, five stops going one way and six
the other thus destroying your suggested alternation.

--
Mike D

Old August 8th 10, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 5, 5:11*pm, MaxB wrote:

Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?

How many places in the world have any compulsory stops
apart from where the bus starts, ends or waits for time?
Old August 9th 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 9, 3:31*am, Clive wrote:

wrote:

On Aug 5, 5:11*pm, MaxB wrote:
Walking along Widmore Road in Bromley today I noticed (how sad am I)
that I was passing a White bus stop, although the one on the other
side was Red. How common is this and why would it be done on what is a
fairly ordinary residential/A Road?

How many places in the world have any compulsory stops
apart from where the bus starts, ends or waits for time?

Aren't compulsory stops, Fare Stages?

I don't think Fare Stages exist in London any more - London buses have
been flat fare for the past several years, and I don't think there's
any usage of Fare Stages 'behind the scenes' either.