Old August 7th 10, 08:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Split Ticketing to Brighton

wrote in message
On 07/08/2010 21:14, David A Stocks wrote:
"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

wrote in message
I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week
during off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said
that there were no available options on that route, which I found
slightly surprising.

Split ticketing generally only works for long-distance flows where
there is no Day Return available. I wouldn't expect to find anything
on journeys within the NSE area such as this.

Southern are currently offering 25% off on their website so a CDR
would be 16.30 instead of 21.70. That is probably as cheap as you will
get.

The cheapest way is a Daysave ticket for 10.00, unfortunately you need
to book 7 days in advance so it is too late for this trip.

Peter Smyth

If you have a Network Railcard there is an off-peak day return available
for around £11.00, failing that you might be able to get single AP tix
for booked trains from £3.75 each way, but these can be very restrictive.

--
DAS

Ho would I be able to do that in this case, should I need to return to
Brighton?

I don't understand that question.

You can buy Advance Purchase (AP) tickets from £3.75 each way which are
restricted to the booked train for each ticket. If you can't find an AP
ticket for Brighton at the time/price you want to travel (the allocations
frequently sell out) you may have better luck with a train to/from Hove
(where the allocations rarely sell out), this might be as/more convenient
for you depending on the purpose of your visit.

It's all on the Southern web site but you may need to register (free) to get
the best deals.

--
DAS

Old August 7th 10, 09:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 7, 9:57*pm, "David A Stocks" wrote:

wrote:

On 07/08/2010 21:14, David A Stocks wrote:
[snip]
[...]

There's no need to register to check for the best deals - all the
regular tickets (including Advance tickets) are shown on the booking
engine to any user who goes there to look for them - meanwhile info
about the DaySave and Downlander tickets are also freely available.

If someone wants to actually purchase a regular ticket then they'll
need to register as part of the transaction - however if someone wants
to buy DavSave or Downlander tickets then they need to register first.

Good tip about Hove too.
Old August 7th 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article 82i7o.66843$Gc2.56680@hurricane, ()
wrote:

I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week
during off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the website
http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said
that there were no available options on that route, which I found
slightly surprising.

Can anybody advise on this, please?

That site seems completely useless. I tried Cambridge-Birmingham New St
for which I know there are cheaper options splitting at Leicester but it
knows nothing about the route. Pathetic!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 7th 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/08/2010 20:21, Peter Smyth wrote:

wrote in message
I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week during
off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

Split ticketing generally only works for long-distance flows where there
is no Day Return available. I wouldn't expect to find anything on
journeys within the NSE area such as this.

Southern are currently offering 25% off on their website so a CDR would
be 16.30 instead of 21.70. That is probably as cheap as you will get.

The cheapest way is a Daysave ticket for 10.00, unfortunately you need
to book 7 days in advance so it is too late for this trip.

Peter Smyth

Some Tourist Offices sell the Daysave on the day.
Derek
Old August 7th 10, 10:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week during
off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the websitehttp://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

Split ticketing generally only works for long-distance flows where there
is no Day Return available. I wouldn't expect to find anything on
journeys within the NSE area such as this.

Southern are currently offering 25% off on their website so a CDR would
be 16.30 instead of 21.70. That is probably as cheap as you will get.

The cheapest way is a Daysave ticket for 10.00, unfortunately you need
to book 7 days in advance so it is too late for this trip.

Some Tourist Offices sell the Daysave on the day.

AIUI the only place that sells Southern DaySave tickets on the day is
the 1 Stop Travel shop in Brighton (run by Brighton & Hove buses) -
furthermore only the 1 Stop Travel shop on Old Steine, not the one at
Brighton station - more info:
http://www.buses.co.uk/trips/onestop.aspx

However this does remind me of something I'd thought of doing before -
from London a traveller could take advantage of a cheap Advance fare
to get from Victoria to Brighton, and could then walk down and buy a
DaySave ticket either for onward travel to elsewhere on Southern
trains along the south coast or just for their return journey back to
London later.

Incidentally a ticket that goes by the name of DaySave is sold at some
tourist offices, but it's the separate FCC Thameslink route DaySave -
more info at the bottom of this page:
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/Main.php?iCmsPageId=104

(Worth noting that the 1 Stop Travel shop on Old Stein also sells
these on the day too.)

Old August 8th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"David A Stocks" wrote in message

If you have a Network Railcard there is an off-peak day return available
for around £11.00, failing that you might be able to get single AP tix for
booked trains from £3.75 each way, but these can be very restrictive.

The OP is travelling midweek. The Network Card minimum fare is now £13 on
weekdays...

Paul S

Old August 8th 10, 10:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Eastbourne tourist office sell the DaySave tickets on the day. It would
seem likely that Southern would have other outlets.
Derek
Old August 8th 10, 01:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:41:28 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

The OP is travelling midweek. The Network Card minimum fare is now £13 on
weekdays...

Which is odd seeing that that the minimum fare on other railcards is
£12
Old August 8th 10, 02:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message

I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has successfully produced a
'split fare system' that does a full search. It might just be a lookup of
splits already reported, or known to the authors...

Paul S