Old August 7th 10, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Split Ticketing to Brighton

I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week during
off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

Can anybody advise on this, please?

Cheers.

Old August 7th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week during
off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

Split ticketing generally only works for long-distance flows where there
is no Day Return available. I wouldn't expect to find anything on
journeys within the NSE area such as this.

Southern are currently offering 25% off on their website so a CDR would
be 16.30 instead of 21.70. That is probably as cheap as you will get.

The cheapest way is a Daysave ticket for 10.00, unfortunately you need
to book 7 days in advance so it is too late for this trip.

Peter Smyth

Old August 7th 10, 07:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 7, 7:59*pm, "
wrote:
I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week during
off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

Can anybody advise on this, please?

I dunno about split ticketing, but there's a number of options on the
London to Brighton route...

~ ~ ~

(1) Until 20 August as a special offer Southern are offering a 25%
discount on their off-peak fares *but* only if you buy them direct
from the Southern website (no need to choose specific trains though) -
this means an Off-peak Day Return from London to Brighton, normally
priced at £21.70, is now £16.30. Note that you need to use Southern
services, so that limits you to travelling from (and back to) Victoria
(unless you want to use the stopping service between London Bridge and
East Croydon!).

More info about the offer:
http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/save-25-off-peak/

Also this 25% discount applies on top of Railcard discounts, so with a
Railcard the fare drops to £10.75. The T&Cs don't list the Network
Railcard as offering a further discount, but when you put it in the
booking engine it seems to work anyway! T&Cs:
http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/save-25-off-peak/223/

~ ~ ~

(2) FCC's regular Off-Peak Day Return fare is £17 - this limits you to
travel down and back on FCC Thameslink trains, so your departure point
will be one of the central London Thameslink stations (St Pancras down
to London Bridge). This isn't a special offer, and as a regular fare
all Railcard discounts are available as normal. You can buy this

~ ~ ~

(3) Southern's DaySave or Downlander tickets.

DaySave costs £10 and is essentially an off-peak rover for the
Southern network (though check the restrictions), alas you need to buy
it at least seven days in advance...
http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/daysave/

*But* Southern offers something called the "Downlander", the all
network version of which costs £12.50 - it's basically an off-peak
rover too plus it provides bus travel across the South Downs - note
that you need to buy this at least two days in advance, but it's
actually a print at home ticket - see:
http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/downlander/

(Perhaps best not to expect everyone who checks your ticket to know
what it is though... ;-)

~ ~ ~

(4) Alternatively on the Southern website enter "London Victoria" as
your origin station (doesn't work it it's just "London") and then look
for cheap Advance tickets, which are priced at £3.75, £5.65 or £7.50
(this includes the 25% discount for buying them direct from Southern).
If you do this you will of course limit yourself to travelling on the
chosen train (as with any Advance ticket).

~ ~ ~
Old August 7th 10, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Correction time! (Only a minor one!)

On Aug 7, 8:37*pm, Mizter T wrote:
[snip]
I dunno about split ticketing, but there's a number of options on the
London to Brighton route...

~ ~ ~

(1) Until 20 August [...]

should read: Until 30 August

Old August 7th 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Argh, spoke too soon w.r.t. my first correction! Missed off the end of
a sentence here...

Mizter T wrote:
[snip]
(2) FCC's regular Off-Peak Day Return fare is £17 - this limits you to
travel down and back on FCC Thameslink trains, so your departure point
will be one of the central London Thameslink stations (St Pancras down
to London Bridge). This isn't a special offer, and as a regular fare
all Railcard discounts are available as normal. You can buy this

....from the ticket office on the day, or perhaps even from a ticket
machine if you can get it to co-operate and offer what you want.

(Fairly obvious point that is implied above - this is for travel on
FCC trains only.)

Old August 7th 10, 08:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

wrote in message
I have to go to Brighton for the day in the middle of next week during
off-peak hours, and I wanted to know if anybody knew of any
split-ticketing from London Victoria.

I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

Split ticketing generally only works for long-distance flows where there
is no Day Return available. I wouldn't expect to find anything on journeys
within the NSE area such as this.

Southern are currently offering 25% off on their website so a CDR would be
16.30 instead of 21.70. That is probably as cheap as you will get.

The cheapest way is a Daysave ticket for 10.00, unfortunately you need to
book 7 days in advance so it is too late for this trip.

Peter Smyth

If you have a Network Railcard there is an off-peak day return available for
around £11.00, failing that you might be able to get single AP tix for
booked trains from £3.75 each way, but these can be very restrictive.

--
DAS

Old August 7th 10, 08:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
[...]

Advance Purchase. Book ahead, get big discount for putting up with
restrictions that specify which train you must use it on. (It is not
valid on any other, unless the train service goes belly up).
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683713.html
(55020 (Class 121) at Oxford, 6 Aug 1982)
Old August 7th 10, 08:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
[...]

Ho would I be able to do that in this case, should I need to return to
Brighton?
Old August 7th 10, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote:

Southern are currently offering 25% off on their website so a CDR
would be 16.30 instead of 21.70. That is probably as cheap as you will
get.

The cheapest way is a Daysave ticket for 10.00, unfortunately you need
to book 7 days in advance so it is too late for this trip.

If you have a Network Railcard there is an off-peak day return available
for around £11.00, failing that you might be able to get single AP tix
for booked trains from £3.75 each way, but these can be very restrictive.

Ho would I be able to do that in this case, should I need to return to
Brighton?

What exactly do you mean by that?

Advance tickets (what are referred to as AP or Advance Purchase
tickets above) are one way tickets that are only valid on the booked
train, that is a specific service that you choose.

You can check out availability on the Southern website - ensure that
you specify "London Victoria" as the origin station:
http://www.southernrailway.com/