Old August 9th 10, 11:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Split Ticketing to Brighton

On 09/08/2010 11:13, Jon Passenger wrote:
On 9 Aug, 00:15, Mizter wrote:
On Aug 8, 11:02 pm, Derek wrote:

On 08/08/2010 11:42, Derek F wrote:

On 07/08/2010 23:35, Mizter T wrote:

On Aug 7, 11:20 pm, Derek wrote:

On 07/08/2010 20:21, Peter Smyth wrote:
(snip)
The cheapest way is a Daysave ticket for 10.00, unfortunately you
need to book 7 days in advance so it is too late for this trip.

Some Tourist Offices sell the Daysave on the day.

AIUI the only place that sells Southern DaySave tickets on the day is
the 1 Stop Travel shop in Brighton (run by Brighton& Hove buses) -
furthermore only the 1 Stop Travel shop on Old Steine, not the one at
Brighton station - more info:
http://www.buses.co.uk/trips/onestop.aspx

(snip)

Incidentally a ticket that goes by the name of DaySave is sold at some
tourist offices, but it's the separate FCC Thameslink route DaySave -
more info at the bottom of this page:
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/Main.php?iCmsPageId=104

(Worth noting that the 1 Stop Travel shop on Old Stein also sells
these on the day too.)

Eastbourne tourist office sell the DaySave tickets on the day. It would
seem likely that Southern would have other outlets.

The Eastbourne web site says 'agents such as...'
http://www.visiteastbourne.com/thedm...&venue=3413256

Thanks Derek, didn't realise the Southern DaySave was available
anywhere else apart from the 1 Stop Travel shop in Brighton - be
interesting to know what other places sell it too.

We did have quite a big discussion about Southern DaySave on
uk.railway around this time last year, when the availability of said
ticket at 1 Stop Travel came up but no-one offered any other outlets,
so I had wrongly assumed it couldn't be purchased over the counter on
the day anywhere else.

I'd never heard of this either (my office overlooks the Old Steine,
BTN so I quite often end up using on-the-day DaySaves ) - the wording
clearly implies there could be other outlets but i've never come
across any.

My thought is that there must be London outlets.
Derek

Old August 9th 10, 11:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 9, 12:41*pm, Derek F wrote:

On 09/08/2010 11:13, Jon Passenger wrote:

On 9 Aug, 00:15, Mizter *wrote:

On Aug 8, 11:02 pm, Derek *wrote:
[snip]
The Eastbourne web site says 'agents such as...'
http://www.visiteastbourne.com/thedm...&venue=3413256

Thanks Derek, didn't realise the Southern DaySave was available
anywhere else apart from the 1 Stop Travel shop in Brighton - be
interesting to know what other places sell it too.

We did have quite a big discussion about Southern DaySave on
uk.railway around this time last year, when the availability of said
ticket at 1 Stop Travel came up but no-one offered any other outlets,
so I had wrongly assumed it couldn't be purchased over the counter on
the day anywhere else.

I'd never heard of this either (my office overlooks the Old Steine,
BTN so I quite often end up using on-the-day DaySaves ) - the wording
clearly implies there could be other outlets but i've never come
across any.

My thought is that there must be London outlets.

I really don't think there are any I'm afraid...
Old August 9th 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Ivor The Engine wrote
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:41:28 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

The OP is travelling midweek. The Network Card minimum fare is now

£13 on
weekdays...

Which is odd seeing that that the minimum fare on other railcards is
£12

Huh ?

No minimum fare on Senior railcard for example.

--
Mike D

Old August 9th 10, 09:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 9 Aug 2010 15:53:30 GMT, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:

Which is odd seeing that that the minimum fare on other railcards is
£12

Huh ?

No minimum fare on Senior railcard for example.

Ok, I'll try again.

Other railcards with a minimum fare, including 16-25 and Family, have
it set at £12 for most of the year (e.g. 16-25 has no restrictions in
July & August).

Is that better?

Old August 10th 10, 06:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 9, 10:32*pm, Ivor The Engine
wrote:
Ok, I'll try again.

Other railcards with a minimum fare, including 16-25 and Family, have
it set at £12 for most of the year (e.g. 16-25 has no restrictions in
July & August). *

Is that better?

Not really.

The Family and Friends Railcard has time restrictions for some
journeys, but no minimum Adult fare. The minimum discounted Child fare
is £1.
Old August 10th 10, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:21:26PM +0100, Peter Smyth wrote:
wrote in message
I looked on the website http://splityourticket.co.uk, but it said that
there were no available options on that route, which I found slightly
surprising.

Split ticketing generally only works for long-distance flows where there
is no Day Return available.

But then it can also complain about your journey being too long and
suggest that you try splitting it up by hand. Brilliant!

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Compromise: n: lowering my standards so you can meet them
Old August 10th 10, 10:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 7:46*am, "John @ home" wrote:

On Aug 9, 10:32*pm, Ivor The Engine
wrote: Ok, I'll try again.

Other railcards with a minimum fare, including 16-25 and Family, have
it set at £12 for most of the year (e.g. 16-25 has no restrictions in
July & August). *

Is that better?

Not really.

The Family and Friends Railcard has time restrictions for some
journeys, but no minimum Adult fare. The minimum discounted Child fare
is £1.

It's a whole different discount I know, but I think it worth
mentioning here that on Southern and Southeastern up to four kids
travel for a £1 off-peak when accompanied by an adult with a valid
ticket (inc. season ticket) - same applies on FCC expect it's £2.
Old August 10th 10, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jon Passenger" wrote in message
Southern give the full third off with no minimum on some of their fares,
which is why I currently travel to London and back (from Brighton) for
£7.85
two or three times/week - that's the current Network Card discounted
super
off-peak return fare, routed Not Gatwick Express, with a 15% discount for
buying via the web site.

If you don't believe it why don't you go and look for yourself? - after
all
where do you think I got the price I quoted from?

--
DAS

I can confirm that I've seen that happen (Southern website ignoring
the £13 NSE minimum). That was on a order with a mixture of railcards
- I'd just assumed that the system couldn't cope with the different
restrictions.

Jon

I'm curious to know what happens when the ticket inspector turns up? Is
he/she allowed to excess someone with a ticket for less than £13?

John

Old August 10th 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 12:42*pm, "John C" wrote:

"Jon Passenger" wrote:

Southern give the full third off with no minimum on some of their fares,
which is why I currently travel to London and back (from Brighton) for
£7.85 two or three times/week - that's the current Network Card
discounted super off-peak return fare, routed Not Gatwick Express,
with a 15% discount for buying via the web site.

If you don't believe it why don't you go and look for yourself? - after
all where do you think I got the price I quoted from?

I can confirm that I've seen that happen (Southern website ignoring
the £13 NSE minimum). *That was on a order with a mixture of railcards
- I'd just assumed that the system couldn't cope with the different
restrictions.

I'm curious to know what happens when the ticket inspector turns up? Is
he/she allowed to excess someone with a ticket for less than £13?

Nothing would happen. These tickets are sold from Southern's own site,
after all.