Old August 17th 10, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

On 16/08/10 12:52, Paul Terry wrote:

Given that TfL haven't included Oyster readers on the bike terminal
stations, I fear that it could be a very long time.

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

-roy

Old August 17th 10, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In message kQW9o.46518$ss1.20829@hurricane, at 20:01:36 on Sun, 15 Aug
2010, " remarked:
Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

A registered Oyster does know who you are, however, and can simply post
or directly deduct from your current account the fine for the damage.

Does every registered Oyster have a bank account associated with it - or
just the ones set up for auto-topup?

And while it's fun to anthropomorphise the Oyster card, it doesn't
actually do things all by itself - if the linkages between the various
schemes are not programmed in by the designers.
Old August 17th 10, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, at 07:01:12 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, Roy Badami remarked:
I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

There are many different kinds of RFID. It's not automatic that every
reader can inter-operate with every kind. Indeed, the Oyster readers are
well known for getting "confused" if there's a second and different kind
of RFID in range at the same time.
Old August 17th 10, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.
--
Paul Terry
Old August 17th 10, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:49:21 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.

The keys can also be used on the payment terminals to do things like
print a receipt.

Old August 17th 10, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:35:42 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, at 07:01:12 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, Roy Badami remarked:
I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

There are many different kinds of RFID. It's not automatic that every
reader can inter-operate with every kind.

Just to back that up, I have an RFID reader which can recognise an Oyster
card but I couldn't get it to notice my cycle hire membership key.
Old August 17th 10, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/10 08:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, at 07:01:12 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, Roy Badami remarked:
I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

There are many different kinds of RFID. It's not automatic that every
reader can inter-operate with every kind. Indeed, the Oyster readers are
well known for getting "confused" if there's a second and different kind
of RFID in range at the same time.

That's true. But assuming they're using 13.56MHz RFID (and I realise
that this may not necessarily be a valid assumption) then I think you'd
be hard pressed to find a 13.56MHz reader that can't read MIFARE Classic.

-roy

Old August 17th 10, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2010 08:49, Paul Terry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.

What will happen when the cycling scheme is fully launched and some
people don't have keys, opting instead to pay with a card?
Old August 17th 10, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2010 08:33, Roland Perry wrote:
In message kQW9o.46518$ss1.20829@hurricane, at 20:01:36 on Sun, 15 Aug
2010, " remarked:
Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

A registered Oyster does know who you are, however, and can simply
post or directly deduct from your current account the fine for the
damage.

Does every registered Oyster have a bank account associated with it - or
just the ones set up for auto-topup?

No, just the ones that are registered and set with an auto top up as
would most likely be the scenario if the Oyster starts to cover cycle hire.