Old August 12th 10, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

tom

--
If your husband does not like risotto, you must throw him out
instantly. That kind of warped character just cannot be tolerated. Next

Old August 12th 10, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Aug 12, 2:02*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. *I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. *Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

tom

Probably the same people who send out phantom congestion charge and
parking fines.
Old August 12th 10, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 2010\08\12 14:21, Derek C wrote:
On Aug 12, 2:02 pm, Tom wrote:
Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

tom

Probably the same people who send out phantom congestion charge and
parking fines.

That probably comes from fake number plates, though. There could not be
any fake cycling keys yet... could there?
Old August 12th 10, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:02:58 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:
Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

I had a ghost journey appear this morning but when I looked again this
afternoon it had gone again.
Old August 12th 10, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Aug 12, 2:02 pm, Tom wrote:

Anyone heard any more about this?

Probably the same people who send out phantom congestion charge and
parking fines.

That probably comes from fake number plates, though. There could not be
any fake cycling keys yet... could there?

You've been cloned. :-(

Old August 12th 10, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Aug 12, 2:02*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. *I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. *Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

Yes, wel I've experienced it - a couple of 'ghost trips' appeared last
week when I logged in to the web account - this was particularly
interesting as my membership key *still* hasn't been delivered.

I was a bit worried that someone else might be using my key (e.g. if
it had been lost in the post, or sent to the wrong person) - however I
know one has to activate one's key online or by phone before it will
work, and furthermore in my account status summary it said the account
was still "awaiting activation", so I thought there being some sort of
glitch at their end was the most likely explanation (I did note that
the web account still showed my correct name and address in the
personal info section, rather than someone else's). I'm pretty sure I
logged out and then logged in a little bit later and found the the
'ghost trips' were still there.

I did then call up the Cycle Hire helpline to (a) ask where my key was
and (b) query these 'ghost trips' - the person I spoke to didn't
appear to have access to any account information, instead they tapped
out a summary of my problems, took my details (name, address, email
address) and said they'd send it over to customer services - and I
haven't heard anything since. One thing that may have messed things up
is that I gave them a different email address - the email address I
used when signing up was specific to the cycle hire account, but it's
a bit of a mouthful to say down the phone (and the CS person said they
had a very bad line, lots of crackle etc despite it being fine at my
end, so I didn't want to make a difficult call even worse).

I think I logged in either much later on that day or else on the next
day and found that the 'ghost trips' had vanished.

I've just tried to log in and found that it won't let me in (and I'm
sure I'm using the correct password). I'll leave it for a bit before
trying again. And of course I need to chase them up about my missing
key (again). As I said in another post, this might not be their fault
- our new postman seems to be a little undiscriminating about which
letterbox on his round he posts his letters in...
Old August 15th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 12/08/10 16:37, Mizter T wrote:

Yes, wel I've experienced it - a couple of 'ghost trips' appeared last
week when I logged in to the web account - this was particularly
interesting as my membership key *still* hasn't been delivered.

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

-roy
Old August 15th 10, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 15 Aug, 17:02, Roy Badami wrote:
On 12/08/10 16:37, Mizter T wrote:

Yes, wel I've experienced it - a couple of 'ghost trips' appeared last
week when I logged in to the web account - this was particularly
interesting as my membership key *still* hasn't been delivered.

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. *Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Perhaps they are not secure enough for £1000 bicycles?
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4184481.ece

Old August 15th 10, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In message mcU9o.38403$GW1.14027@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.
--
Paul Terry
Old August 15th 10, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 15/08/10 18:41, Paul Terry wrote:
In message mcU9o.38403$GW1.14027@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

And yet it can support an annual Travelcard that costs many times that
sum...

It's a pity that Oyster couldn't have been upgraded to have the
necessary capabilities...

-roy