London Banter

-   -   Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11093-ghost-trips-appearing-london-cycle.html)

Tom Anderson August 12th 10 01:02 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

tom

--
If your husband does not like risotto, you must throw him out
instantly. That kind of warped character just cannot be tolerated. Next

Derek C August 12th 10 01:21 PM

On Aug 12, 2:02*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. *I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. *Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

tom

Probably the same people who send out phantom congestion charge and
parking fines.

Basil Jet[_2_] August 12th 10 01:38 PM

On 2010\08\12 14:21, Derek C wrote:
On Aug 12, 2:02 pm, Tom wrote:
Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

tom

Probably the same people who send out phantom congestion charge and
parking fines.

That probably comes from fake number plates, though. There could not be
any fake cycling keys yet... could there?

David Walters August 12th 10 02:22 PM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:02:58 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:
Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

I had a ghost journey appear this morning but when I looked again this
afternoon it had gone again.

Bruce[_2_] August 12th 10 03:13 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

On Aug 12, 2:02 pm, Tom wrote:

Anyone heard any more about this?

Probably the same people who send out phantom congestion charge and
parking fines.

That probably comes from fake number plates, though. There could not be
any fake cycling keys yet... could there?

You've been cloned. :-(

Mizter T August 12th 10 03:37 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

On Aug 12, 2:02*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

Afternoon all,

Elsewhere, my spies report:

Do check your keys for use as I head that there are ghost riding the
bicycles when you are not.

Thanks for the tip off. *I appear to have cycled from Eccleston Place to
Belgrave Square on 10 Aug, before my key was even activated, whilst
being asleep in bed at home. *Hmm.

Anyone heard any more about this?

Yes, wel I've experienced it - a couple of 'ghost trips' appeared last
week when I logged in to the web account - this was particularly
interesting as my membership key *still* hasn't been delivered.

I was a bit worried that someone else might be using my key (e.g. if
it had been lost in the post, or sent to the wrong person) - however I
know one has to activate one's key online or by phone before it will
work, and furthermore in my account status summary it said the account
was still "awaiting activation", so I thought there being some sort of
glitch at their end was the most likely explanation (I did note that
the web account still showed my correct name and address in the
personal info section, rather than someone else's). I'm pretty sure I
logged out and then logged in a little bit later and found the the
'ghost trips' were still there.

I did then call up the Cycle Hire helpline to (a) ask where my key was
and (b) query these 'ghost trips' - the person I spoke to didn't
appear to have access to any account information, instead they tapped
out a summary of my problems, took my details (name, address, email
address) and said they'd send it over to customer services - and I
haven't heard anything since. One thing that may have messed things up
is that I gave them a different email address - the email address I
used when signing up was specific to the cycle hire account, but it's
a bit of a mouthful to say down the phone (and the CS person said they
had a very bad line, lots of crackle etc despite it being fine at my
end, so I didn't want to make a difficult call even worse).

I think I logged in either much later on that day or else on the next
day and found that the 'ghost trips' had vanished.

I've just tried to log in and found that it won't let me in (and I'm
sure I'm using the correct password). I'll leave it for a bit before
trying again. And of course I need to chase them up about my missing
key (again). As I said in another post, this might not be their fault
- our new postman seems to be a little undiscriminating about which
letterbox on his round he posts his letters in...

Roy Badami August 15th 10 04:02 PM

On 12/08/10 16:37, Mizter T wrote:

Yes, wel I've experienced it - a couple of 'ghost trips' appeared last
week when I logged in to the web account - this was particularly
interesting as my membership key *still* hasn't been delivered.

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

-roy

bod43 August 15th 10 05:19 PM

On 15 Aug, 17:02, Roy Badami wrote:
On 12/08/10 16:37, Mizter T wrote:

Yes, wel I've experienced it - a couple of 'ghost trips' appeared last
week when I logged in to the web account - this was particularly
interesting as my membership key *still* hasn't been delivered.

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. *Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Perhaps they are not secure enough for £1000 bicycles?
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4184481.ece

Paul Terry[_2_] August 15th 10 05:41 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message mcU9o.38403$GW1.14027@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.
--
Paul Terry

Roy Badami August 15th 10 06:15 PM

On 15/08/10 18:41, Paul Terry wrote:
In message mcU9o.38403$GW1.14027@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

And yet it can support an annual Travelcard that costs many times that
sum...

It's a pity that Oyster couldn't have been upgraded to have the
necessary capabilities...

-roy

Paul Terry[_2_] August 15th 10 06:35 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message Y8W9o.93300$6C1.13499@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

On 15/08/10 18:41, Paul Terry wrote:

Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

And yet it can support an annual Travelcard that costs many times that
sum...

But the travelcard has already been paid for - Oyster is simply acting
as a convenient medium for using the purchase.

In the case of a lost bicycle, TfL need to have a mechanism to initiate
a £300 payment.

It's a pity that Oyster couldn't have been upgraded to have the
necessary capabilities...

Well, I suppose TfL could insist that anyone using an Oyster for bicycle
hire must have at least £300 credit on their Oyster, but would that
really be attractive to anyone?
--
Paul Terry

Roy Badami August 15th 10 06:39 PM

On 15/08/10 19:35, Paul Terry wrote:

Well, I suppose TfL could insist that anyone using an Oyster for bicycle
hire must have at least £300 credit on their Oyster, but would that
really be attractive to anyone?

I'm not suggesting it should use Oyster prepay. I don't see why an
Oyster card couldn't carry a "bike scheme key" as a product loaded onto
it in exactly the same way as it handles other products. Payment could
be using whatever the bike scheme actually really does use (credit card
number on file, presumably?)

-roy

[email protected] August 15th 10 07:01 PM

On 15/08/2010 18:41, Paul Terry wrote:
In message mcU9o.38403$GW1.14027@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

A registered Oyster does know who you are, however, and can simply post
or directly deduct from your current account the fine for the damage.

[email protected] August 15th 10 07:02 PM

On 15/08/2010 19:15, Roy Badami wrote:
On 15/08/10 18:41, Paul Terry wrote:
In message mcU9o.38403$GW1.14027@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

It seems a great shame they need to send you a new RFID device for use
with this. Surely the scheme should have been designed to use Oyster
Cards...?

Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

And yet it can support an annual Travelcard that costs many times that
sum...

It's a pity that Oyster couldn't have been upgraded to have the
necessary capabilities...

-roy

Give it time, I imagine that this will eventually be the case.

[email protected] August 15th 10 07:04 PM

On 15/08/2010 19:39, Roy Badami wrote:
On 15/08/10 19:35, Paul Terry wrote:

Well, I suppose TfL could insist that anyone using an Oyster for bicycle
hire must have at least £300 credit on their Oyster, but would that
really be attractive to anyone?

I'm not suggesting it should use Oyster prepay. I don't see why an
Oyster card couldn't carry a "bike scheme key" as a product loaded onto
it in exactly the same way as it handles other products. Payment could
be using whatever the bike scheme actually really does use (credit card
number on file, presumably?)

-roy

That's what already happens with Oyster in some cases, such as if you go
below £5, in which case the Oyster automatically tops it up. Funds for
that will directly from your debit or credit card.

Paul Terry[_2_] August 16th 10 11:52 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message MQW9o.46545$ss1.15033@hurricane, "
writes

On 15/08/2010 19:15, Roy Badami wrote:

It's a pity that Oyster couldn't have been upgraded to have the
necessary capabilities...

Give it time, I imagine that this will eventually be the case.

Given that TfL haven't included Oyster readers on the bike terminal
stations, I fear that it could be a very long time.
--
Paul Terry

Paul Scott August 16th 10 01:18 PM

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message MQW9o.46545$ss1.15033@hurricane, "
writes

On 15/08/2010 19:15, Roy Badami wrote:

It's a pity that Oyster couldn't have been upgraded to have the
necessary capabilities...

Give it time, I imagine that this will eventually be the case.

Given that TfL haven't included Oyster readers on the bike terminal
stations, I fear that it could be a very long time.

I read somewhere that for speed of introduction they'd bought an off the
shelf system exactly as used in another city somewhere. But many media
reports have already indicated that Oyster readers will be retrofitted.

Paul S

Paul Terry[_2_] August 16th 10 03:33 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message , Paul Scott
writes

I read somewhere that for speed of introduction they'd bought an off
the shelf system exactly as used in another city somewhere.

The Bixi system, as introduced in Montreal last year.

But while the docking stations are virtually identical to the Bixi ones,
it looks to me as though the pay stations have been redesigned for
London:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mo...ay_Station.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/celesteh/4843798568/

But many media reports have already indicated that Oyster readers will

be retrofitted.

Yes, there has been a vague statement to that effect, although other
reports state the opposite:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...ke_hire_delay/

In any case, it seems needlessly extravagant to retrofit if the pay
stations have already been redesigned for TfL. After all, the hardware
could have been built-in but left switched-off until TfL were ready to
offer Oyster usage.

I still think there are great problems in allowing payment by Oyster -
the Oyster card will have to be registered and linked to a bank account
in order to retrieve the potential £300 for a non-returned bike. This
adds a whole new level of complexity to Oyster - especially for tourists
- since there is no way to visually differentiate between registered and
non-registered Oyster cards.

--
Paul Terry

[email protected] August 16th 10 08:19 PM

On 16/08/2010 12:52, Paul Terry wrote:
In message MQW9o.46545$ss1.15033@hurricane, "
writes

On 15/08/2010 19:15, Roy Badami wrote:

It's a pity that Oyster couldn't have been upgraded to have the
necessary capabilities...

Give it time, I imagine that this will eventually be the case.

Given that TfL haven't included Oyster readers on the bike terminal
stations, I fear that it could be a very long time.

Perhaps they want to see how it takes off after the full launch, due
later this month?

[email protected] August 16th 10 08:21 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

On 16/08/2010 16:33, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Paul Scott
writes

[...]

But you would need to register the Oystercard for cycle hire and it
would have to be linked to your account?

Roy Badami August 17th 10 06:01 AM

On 16/08/10 12:52, Paul Terry wrote:

Given that TfL haven't included Oyster readers on the bike terminal
stations, I fear that it could be a very long time.

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

-roy

Roland Perry August 17th 10 07:33 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message kQW9o.46518$ss1.20829@hurricane, at 20:01:36 on Sun, 15 Aug
2010, " remarked:
Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

A registered Oyster does know who you are, however, and can simply post
or directly deduct from your current account the fine for the damage.

Does every registered Oyster have a bank account associated with it - or
just the ones set up for auto-topup?

And while it's fun to anthropomorphise the Oyster card, it doesn't
actually do things all by itself - if the linkages between the various
schemes are not programmed in by the designers.

Roland Perry August 17th 10 07:35 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, at 07:01:12 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, Roy Badami remarked:
I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

There are many different kinds of RFID. It's not automatic that every
reader can inter-operate with every kind. Indeed, the Oyster readers are
well known for getting "confused" if there's a second and different kind
of RFID in range at the same time.

Paul Terry[_2_] August 17th 10 07:49 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.
--
Paul Terry

David Walters August 17th 10 08:31 AM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:49:21 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.

The keys can also be used on the payment terminals to do things like
print a receipt.

David Walters August 17th 10 08:32 AM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:35:42 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, at 07:01:12 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, Roy Badami remarked:
I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

There are many different kinds of RFID. It's not automatic that every
reader can inter-operate with every kind.

Just to back that up, I have an RFID reader which can recognise an Oyster
card but I couldn't get it to notice my cycle hire membership key.

Roy Badami August 17th 10 09:38 AM

On 17/08/10 08:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, at 07:01:12 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, Roy Badami remarked:
I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

There are many different kinds of RFID. It's not automatic that every
reader can inter-operate with every kind. Indeed, the Oyster readers are
well known for getting "confused" if there's a second and different kind
of RFID in range at the same time.

That's true. But assuming they're using 13.56MHz RFID (and I realise
that this may not necessarily be a valid assumption) then I think you'd
be hard pressed to find a 13.56MHz reader that can't read MIFARE Classic.

-roy

[email protected] August 17th 10 08:09 PM

On 17/08/2010 08:49, Paul Terry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.

What will happen when the cycling scheme is fully launched and some
people don't have keys, opting instead to pay with a card?

[email protected] August 17th 10 08:14 PM

On 17/08/2010 08:33, Roland Perry wrote:
In message kQW9o.46518$ss1.20829@hurricane, at 20:01:36 on Sun, 15 Aug
2010, " remarked:
Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

A registered Oyster does know who you are, however, and can simply
post or directly deduct from your current account the fine for the
damage.

Does every registered Oyster have a bank account associated with it - or
just the ones set up for auto-topup?

No, just the ones that are registered and set with an auto top up as
would most likely be the scenario if the Oyster starts to cover cycle hire.

David Walters August 17th 10 08:51 PM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:09:41 +0100, wrote:
On 17/08/2010 08:49, Paul Terry wrote:
In message GApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.

What will happen when the cycling scheme is fully launched and some
people don't have keys, opting instead to pay with a card?

Casual users will pay at the payment station which will then print a
receipt with a code on it. The code is then entered on a docking station
using the 3 buttons just above the membership key slot.

[email protected] August 17th 10 10:47 PM

On 17/08/2010 21:51, David Walters wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:09:41 +0100, wrote:
On 17/08/2010 08:49, Paul Terry wrote:
In messageGApao.15874$UD.10773@hurricane, Roy Badami
writes

I had assuemd that these 'bike scheme keys' are RFID devices - so the
terminals must already have RFID readers. So the necessary hardware is
probably already there.

The keys are used on the docking stations, not on the payment terminals.

What will happen when the cycling scheme is fully launched and some
people don't have keys, opting instead to pay with a card?

Casual users will pay at the payment station which will then print a
receipt with a code on it. The code is then entered on a docking station
using the 3 buttons just above the membership key slot.

Cheers for that. And when is the full launch, tentatively?

Roland Perry August 18th 10 08:20 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message f4Cao.12267$X27.1445@hurricane, at 21:14:03 on Tue, 17 Aug
2010, " remarked:
Oyster cannot support the £300 charge made for lost or terminally
damaged bicycles.

A registered Oyster does know who you are, however, and can simply
post or directly deduct from your current account the fine for the
damage.

Does every registered Oyster have a bank account associated with it - or
just the ones set up for auto-topup?

No, just the ones that are registered and set with an auto top up as
would most likely be the scenario if the Oyster starts to cover cycle
hire.

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Roy Badami August 18th 10 09:23 AM

On 18/08/10 09:20, Roland Perry wrote:

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a registered
Oyster card...

-roy

Recliner[_2_] August 18th 10 11:44 AM

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
On 18/08/10 09:20, Roland Perry wrote:

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More
complication for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a
registered Oyster card...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk of
history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an on-line
registered card do?

[email protected] August 18th 10 01:00 PM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
On 18/08/10 09:20, Roland Perry wrote:

So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More
complication for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a
registered Oyster card...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk
of history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an
on-line registered card do?

Can one register a railcard to an online-registered card?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roy Badami August 18th 10 11:23 PM

On 18/08/10 12:44, Recliner wrote:
"Roy wrote in message

Oh, it's much worse than that, because there's _real_ registration,
which involves handing in a paper form to a ticket office, and there's
the online thing which results in a card which isn't technically
registered, but has some (but not all) of the properties of a
registered Oyster card...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk of
history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an on-line
registered card do?

I've no idea why, but it probably is a quirk of history.

As for differences - I'm pretty sure that real (paper) registration is
needed in order to allow you to load a monthly or annual Travelcard onto
your Oyster.

-roy

Roland Perry August 19th 10 08:00 AM

Ghost trips appearing on the London Cycle Hire scheme

In message yBWao.43170$Dt3.759@hurricane, at 20:34:54 on Wed, 18 Aug
2010, " remarked:
So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Hardly.

Indeed, we are now told it's at least 4-tier!

Roy Badami August 19th 10 09:21 AM

On 19/08/10 09:00, Roland Perry wrote:
In message yBWao.43170$Dt3.759@hurricane, at 20:34:54 on Wed, 18 Aug
2010, " remarked:
So it's a kind of "three tier" Oyster card scheme[1]. More complication
for customers to get their heads round :(

[1] Basic, registered, and registered + auto-topup.

Hardly.

Indeed, we are now told it's at least 4-tier!

I strongly suspect that you can set up auto-topup within only an online
account, but without true registration (can anyone confirm?). In which
case it's no longer a heirarchy.

Paul Scott August 19th 10 09:34 AM

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
On 18/08/10 12:44, Recliner wrote:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that latter distinction. Is it just a quirk of
history or is there some reason for it? And what can't an on-line
registered card do?

I've no idea why, but it probably is a quirk of history.

When I first registered online I couldn't see the journey history, although
auto top up was set OK. At the time, other posters here explained that only
a form handed in at a ticket office would enable that facility, and it
did...

Paul S