London Banter

-   -   Oyster question, please (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11121-oyster-question-please.html)

No Name August 25th 10 10:05 PM

Oyster question, please

I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't stumbled
across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can provide the
real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than one person's fare
per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago Card Plus can be swiped up
to six times in a row to admit up to six folks at a time. Thanks.

Rich

Roland Perry August 25th 10 10:18 PM

Oyster question, please

In message , at 18:05:16
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:
I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't
stumbled across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can
provide the real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than
one person's fare per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago Card
Plus can be swiped up to six times in a row to admit up to six folks at
a time.

Not for simultaneous rides (because of the daily capping if nothing
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Roy Badami August 25th 10 10:38 PM

Oyster question, please

On 25/08/10 23:18, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:05:16
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:
I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't
stumbled across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can
provide the real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than
one person's fare per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago Card
Plus can be swiped up to six times in a row to admit up to six folks
at a time.

Not for simultaneous rides (because of the daily capping if nothing
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Roland is right; you can't do that. Apart from the fact that the gates
won't let you, each passenger must hold either a ticket for their
journey or a validated Oyster card. Failure to do that would leave you
open to prosecution

You can indeed share Oyster cards provided they only have Pay As You Go
on them. (You can't share Oyster cards which have period Travelcards or
other such products loaded onto them, though.) But multiple
simultaneous passengers requires multiple Oyster cards (or paper tickets).

-roy

[email protected] August 25th 10 10:47 PM

Oyster question, please

In article 2Ygdo.18922$S_1.9205@hurricane, (Roy
Badami) wrote:

[...]

Presumably you also have to actually hold the railcard registered to an
Oyster card as well?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roy Badami August 25th 10 11:09 PM

Oyster question, please

Badami) wrote:

Presumably you also have to actually hold the railcard registered to an
Oyster card as well?

I have a suspicion you're not allowed to share an Oyster with a railcard
registered to it, in the same way you're not allowed to share an Oyster
with a period Travelcard on it. I was intentionally vague when I said
"and other such products" precisely because I wasn't entirely sure about
the railcard rules.

-roy

No Name August 25th 10 11:48 PM

Oyster question, please

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
[...]

Much appreciated. Thank you. I was/am trying to come up with an answer
that won't leave me with 4 Oyster cards with a balance on them. Two I don't
mind as wife & I frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. For this particular
trip, I would normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6
(all 6 zones out of necessity).

[email protected] August 26th 10 06:38 AM

Oyster question, please

In article Tohdo.31750$r24.8190@hurricane, (Roy
Badami) wrote:

Badami) wrote:

Presumably you also have to actually hold the railcard registered to
an Oyster card as well?

I have a suspicion you're not allowed to share an Oyster with a
railcard registered to it, in the same way you're not allowed to
share an Oyster with a period Travelcard on it. I was
intentionally vague when I said "and other such products" precisely
because I wasn't entirely sure about the railcard rules.

I assume it must be so or else someone might get discounts to which they
are not entitled.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams August 26th 10 07:53 AM

Oyster question, please

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:48:30 -0400, wrote:

Much appreciated. Thank you. I was/am trying to come up with an answer
that won't leave me with 4 Oyster cards with a balance on them. Two I don't
mind as wife & I frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. For this particular
trip, I would normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6
(all 6 zones out of necessity).

Given that (I think) a 3-day Travelcard was just priced at three times
a One Day Travelcard, and you can still buy the latter on paper, you
could just buy three of those each.

Failing that, cash the Oyster cards in at the end and get a refund of
the deposit and balance.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

[email protected] August 26th 10 08:40 AM

Oyster question, please

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:05:16 -0400
wrote:
I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't stumbled
across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can provide the
real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than one person's fare
per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago Card Plus can be swiped up
to six times in a row to admit up to six folks at a time. Thanks.

For whatever moronic reason we don't have flat fares in London so you
have to swipe in and out which means its limited to one person per journey.

B2003

[email protected] August 26th 10 08:43 AM

Oyster question, please

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 23:18:49 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Probably only because theres no way to prevent it. Though LU did insist on
old paper travelcards that they were non transferable. Why they bothered I
have no idea. Perhaps something to do with selling to touts.

B2003

Phil Richards August 26th 10 09:14 AM

Oyster question, please

Roland wrote:
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Probably only because theres no way to prevent it. Though LU did insist on
old paper travelcards that they were non transferable. Why they bothered I
have no idea. Perhaps something to do with selling to touts.

Possibly or just the whole (stupid) mentality the railways etc. have
about transferring tickets. TfL presumably re-wrote the conditions to
say Oyster PAYG products are transferable simply because it is
unenforceable.

I have to say you never seem to see touts buying & selling ODTC so that
is a good thing in many ways.

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:

Robin[_3_] August 26th 10 09:17 AM

Oyster question, please

For whatever moronic reason we don't have flat fares in London so you
have to swipe in and out which means its limited to one person per
journey.

For transatlantic readers, we don't all think it is moronic given in
particular (i) the size of the London Underground network and the
congestion in its central area in particular and (ii) the ability to
extend the Oyster card to (so far) National Rail services in the wider
London area. In other words we're like Hong Kong with its Octopus Card,
Tokyo with its Suica/PASMO,......
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

martin August 26th 10 09:22 AM

Oyster question, please

On Aug 26, 8:53*am, Neil Williams
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:48:30 -0400, wrote:
Much appreciated. *Thank you. *I was/am trying to come up with an answer
that won't leave me with 4 Oyster cards with a balance on them. *Two I don't
mind as wife & I frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. *For this particular
trip, I would normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6
(all 6 zones out of necessity).

Given that (I think) a 3-day Travelcard was just priced at three times
a One Day Travelcard, and you can still buy the latter on paper, you
could just buy three of those each.

Another argument against buying 3-day Travelcards is that they no
longer exist - they were withdrawn at the beginning of the year.

Failing that, cash the Oyster cards in at the end and get a refund of
the deposit and balance.

The TfL website confirms that this is possible:
You can take your Oyster card to a Tube station ticket office for a refund of your unused ticket or travel
value and the £3 deposit.

(from http://tinyurl.com/37sd9zo )

Using Oyster PAYG might well work out a little cheaper for the OP, if
it turns out that he doesn't need zones 1-6 on all three days; or if
he doesn't need to travel during the morning peak. It certainly won't
cost any more than buying paper tickets - the only downsides are
having to visit a tube ticket office at your last station (though I'd
imagine the major rail termini and Heathrow are used to this kind of
transaction), and possibly being left over with some of our funny
English money.

[email protected] August 26th 10 09:41 AM

Oyster question, please

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:14:25 +0100
Phil Richards wrote:
On 26/08/2010 09:43, d wrote:
Possibly or just the whole (stupid) mentality the railways etc. have
about transferring tickets.

Indeed. Why they seem to think a ticket should only apply to the person
who it was originally bought for is anyones guess. Imagine if the same
conditions were applied to concert or theatre tickets. The west end would
go out of business.

I have to say you never seem to see touts buying & selling ODTC so that
is a good thing in many ways.

ODTC?

I wonder if theres still a clause somewhere saying Oyster cards remain the
property of TfL even though you fork out 3 quid for them. Wouldn't surprise
me.

B2003

Roland Perry August 26th 10 11:34 AM

Oyster question, please

In message , at 19:48:30
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:
I was/am trying to come up with an answer that won't leave me with 4
Oyster cards with a balance on them. Two I don't mind as wife & I
frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. For this particular trip, I would
normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6 (all 6
zones out of necessity).

You have to look at the total cost of the various options, and how
closely you think you can manage the amount of credit on the Oystercard
on your last day of usage.

Unfortunately, most transit systems seem to impose a "tourist tax" by
way of un-used credit of one sort or another.

I've got several cards for the NY subway (now expired), most of a Paris
10-ticket carnet, and unusually nothing on a Brussels prepaid card. Plus
a "second" Oyster card with quite a bit of credit I think (I live
outside London and that card gets used maybe three times a year on
average). And Amsterdam seems to be going electronic to such an extent I
may need to get a prepaid card for there sooner rather than later.

Roland Perry August 26th 10 11:36 AM

Oyster question, please

In message , at 09:31:38 on Thu,
26 Aug 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

Can you just take a PAYG-loaded Oyster Card to a Ticket Office and cash
it in for a refund of the balance (and deposit if applicable)?

Doesn't it have to be registered, and the money paid to a bank account
later? Won't there be a bit of a long queue at Heathrow tube station (or
wherever is the OP's point of final exit from the "TFL system".

Robin[_3_] August 26th 10 12:32 PM

Oyster question, please

Doesn't it have to be registered, and the money paid to a bank account
later

AIUI yes - to discourage theft of them for the deposit/balance on them.

I *think* the position for the separate "Visitor Oyster card " is
different with tube stations refunding up to £5 when the card is handed
over. But I can't find an answer one way or the other on the Oyster
pages.

Won't there be a bit of a long queue at Heathrow tube station
(or wherever is the OP's point of final exit from the "TFL system".

Good point: I really don't think it'd be worth the OP's time bearing in
mind (i) how far the pound has slumped against the US dollar and (ii)
how much we (UK PLC) are broke and need the money.

Neil Williams August 26th 10 06:17 PM

Oyster question, please

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:31:38 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Can you just take a PAYG-loaded Oyster Card to a Ticket Office and cash
it in for a refund of the balance (and deposit if applicable)?

I *think* so...

Neil

Neil Williams August 26th 10 06:18 PM

Oyster question, please

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:41:31 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

I wonder if theres still a clause somewhere saying Oyster cards remain the
property of TfL even though you fork out 3 quid for them. Wouldn't surprise
me.

I would imagine there indeed is, because you don't "fork out 3 quid
for them". It is a refundable deposit for the loan of the card.

Neil

[email protected] August 26th 10 10:15 PM

Oyster question, please

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

Unfortunately, most transit systems seem to impose a "tourist tax"
by way of un-used credit of one sort or another.

I've got several cards for the NY subway (now expired), most of a
Paris 10-ticket carnet, and unusually nothing on a Brussels prepaid
card. Plus a "second" Oyster card with quite a bit of credit I
think (I live outside London and that card gets used maybe three
times a year on average). And Amsterdam seems to be going
electronic to such an extent I may need to get a prepaid card for
there sooner rather than later.

You should be alright with the Paris carnet tickets. I've just used 2 of
the 4 left from my last visit here - in 1999. They are plain bluish green
card, quite unlike the current issue but the mag strip is obviously enough
the same to operate the gates at Gare du Nord.

I only keep £1.80 credit on my Oyster cards if possible, or whatever the
minimum fare to get into the tube at King's Cross is this year.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T August 26th 10 11:32 PM

Oyster question, please

On Aug 26, 11:15*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:
Unfortunately, most transit systems seem to impose a "tourist tax"
by way of un-used credit of one sort or another.

I've got several cards for the NY subway (now expired), most of a
Paris 10-ticket carnet, and unusually nothing on a Brussels prepaid
card. Plus a "second" Oyster card with quite a bit of credit I
think (I live outside London and that card gets used maybe three
times a year on average). And Amsterdam seems to be going
electronic to such an extent I may need to get a prepaid card for
there sooner rather than later.

You should be alright with the Paris carnet tickets. I've just used 2 of
the 4 left from my last visit here - in 1999. They are plain bluish green
card, quite unlike the current issue but the mag strip is obviously enough
the same to operate the gates at Gare du Nord.

The Paris 't ticket' (green and mauve) transmogrified into the 't+
ticket' (white) in 2007 - AIUI the 'plus' it brought to the table was
the ability to make bus-bus, bus-tram and tram-tram interchanges
within 90 minutes of initial validation, which was something that was
not possible with the previous 't ticket'.

However as you say there's no expiry on the old 't tickets' - I don't
think however that they magically gained the extra abilities of the 't
+ ticket', not totally sure on that though.

Anyhow, point being it's useful they don't expire - no guarantee
they'll last forever of course, so probably best not to build up a
huge surplus.

I only keep £1.80 credit on my Oyster cards if possible, or whatever the
minimum fare to get into the tube at King's Cross is this year.

Why does it bother you so? I don't really get it. Who do you bank with?

[email protected] August 27th 10 09:19 AM

Oyster question, please

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:18:30 +0100
Neil Williams wrote:
for them". It is a refundable deposit for the loan of the card.

Is that how they word it? Can't say I'm surprised. Anything so that the
user doesn't have a leg to stand on legally if TfL wants to get nasty about
use of the card.

B2003

Roland Perry August 27th 10 09:53 AM

Oyster question, please

In message , at 17:15:40
on Thu, 26 Aug 2010, remarked:
I've got several cards for the NY subway (now expired), most of a
Paris 10-ticket carnet, and unusually nothing on a Brussels prepaid
card. Plus a "second" Oyster card with quite a bit of credit I
think (I live outside London and that card gets used maybe three
times a year on average). And Amsterdam seems to be going
electronic to such an extent I may need to get a prepaid card for
there sooner rather than later.

You should be alright with the Paris carnet tickets. I've just used 2 of
the 4 left from my last visit here - in 1999. They are plain bluish green
card, quite unlike the current issue but the mag strip is obviously enough
the same to operate the gates at Gare du Nord.

Yep, I don't think the Paris or Brussels tickets expire, but it means
having to keep a little collection of tickets (to go with my growing
collection of local 3G SIMMs). It's like going back to the old days when
one needed a collection of telephone plugs for using with a modem, and
many different currencies in what's now Euro-land.

[email protected] August 27th 10 02:56 PM

Oyster question, please

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Aug 26, 11:15*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:
[...]

Oh, right. I've only used the Metro so far.

However as you say there's no expiry on the old 't tickets' - I don't
think however that they magically gained the extra abilities of the 't
+ ticket', not totally sure on that though.

Anyhow, point being it's useful they don't expire - no guarantee
they'll last forever of course, so probably best not to build up a
huge surplus.

I only keep £1.80 credit on my Oyster cards if possible, or whatever
the minimum fare to get into the tube at King's Cross is this year.

Why does it bother you so? I don't really get it. Who do you bank
with?

Because for months at a time I don't use Oyster. And it's not like the
Metro carnet tickets which are still worth a journey now despite being
bought in 1999 money. Credit on my Oyster will pay less towards journeys
as fares rise.

The queues at King's Cross are still enormous and now you can only top up
under £5 if you have the exact change. So I have to keep some credit on
Oyster to be able to use it. If I top up at a ticket stop elsewhere I can
get the right amount added and get the right receipt with no worry about
change.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Martin Smith[_5_] August 27th 10 04:51 PM

Oyster question, please

Roland wrote:
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Probably only because theres no way to prevent it. Though LU did
insist on
old paper travelcards that they were non transferable. Why they
bothered I
have no idea. Perhaps something to do with selling to touts.

Possibly or just the whole (stupid) mentality the railways etc. have
about transferring tickets. TfL presumably re-wrote the conditions to
say Oyster PAYG products are transferable simply because it is
unenforceable.

I have to say you never seem to see touts buying & selling ODTC so that
is a good thing in many ways.

There is quite often someone soliciting just that standing just outside
the doors at New Cross Gate

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.

Walter Briscoe August 27th 10 06:22 PM

Oyster question, please

In message of Fri, 27
Aug 2010 09:56:22 in uk.transport.london,
writes

[snip]

I only keep £1.80 credit on my Oyster cards if possible, or whatever
the minimum fare to get into the tube at King's Cross is this year.

Why does it bother you so? I don't really get it. Who do you bank
with?

Because for months at a time I don't use Oyster. And it's not like the

While I appreciate YMMV, I use Auto Top Up on a registered card.
It suits me; it would not suit you.

Metro carnet tickets which are still worth a journey now despite being
bought in 1999 money. Credit on my Oyster will pay less towards journeys
as fares rise.

I don't bother with such small numbers. Today, I was behind a German
teacher returning 9 Oysters for the deposits. I showed a New York
Metrocard which has some credit and is kept as a souvenir. While
interested, she thought her charges' parents would object. When I
suggested registration, ticket office staff said this is only available
to those with UK addresses.

Metrocard was produced by Cubic at about the same time as it produced
Oyster for London. It uses a swipe - at a limited range of speeds - on a
magnetic reader. I found NY transport interesting: (The following list
is unordered.)
a) it has payphones in subway stations;
b) most trains have air con - stations don't & are vilely hot in summer;
c) PA is manual, sporadic and difficult to understand;
d) trains with dot matrix displays show the HH:MM time when nothing more
interesting is available - LU shows nothing, suggesting display failure;
e) no "stand on the right" on escalators;
f) only station staff seen was an agent selling fares;
g) I envy their local and express trains - the Metropolitan north of
Finchley Road is so limited in comparison;
h) the 2nd Ave Subway has been in planning since 1940 - the first
section should open in 2015;
i) hard seats are adequate; armrests are not used; many spread over 2;
j) at first, I thought they had less grafitti - trains seem worse;
k) while I did not try this, it seems there is a one hour transfer
between subway and bus - Boris and Caroline Pidgeon were discussing this
for London in the Mayor's questions on Bastille Day. She was told
something to the effect of "not now if it hits revenue".

The queues at King's Cross are still enormous and now you can only top up

If you find the queues long, try the Northern Ticket Hall. I expect the
walk to and fro will be faster than waiting in the queues in the other
ticket halls. I find it sad that LU does not use peripatetic staff to
weed those horrible queues..

under £5 if you have the exact change. So I have to keep some credit on

I suspect "you can only top up under £5 if you have the exact change" is
confused. Some machines bear "exact money only" notices. I think that is
a transient condition due to running out of change - I may be wrong.

Oyster to be able to use it. If I top up at a ticket stop elsewhere I can
get the right amount added and get the right receipt with no worry about
change.

Have you considered using a photo of a POM last 8 journey statement?
The machines do print receipts which show what was paid - but not what
was bought ;(
I find the inability of the machines to print such statements is one
example of strong arguments against reducing ticket office hours.
Another is a typical 20 minute phone call to fix an Oyster mistake.
I have not found Oyster's email service a useful alternative.
--
Walter Briscoe

No Name August 29th 10 08:48 PM

Oyster question, please

...in the same way you're not allowed to share an Oyster with a period
Travelcard on it....

Another question I can't answer to my satisfaction on tfl's site: Is a
Travelcard loaded onto an Oyster the same thing as a traditional paper
travelcard? eg: it can be programmed to be effective 1, 3, 4 or 7 days?
If so, maybe that would solve my dilemma (or exacerbate it!).

Rich

Richard J.[_3_] August 29th 10 09:19 PM

Oyster question, please

wrote on 29 August 2010 21:48:29 ...
...in the same way you're not allowed to share an Oyster with a period
Travelcard on it....

Another question I can't answer to my satisfaction on tfl's site: Is a
Travelcard loaded onto an Oyster the same thing as a traditional paper
travelcard? eg: it can be programmed to be effective 1, 3, 4 or 7 days?
If so, maybe that would solve my dilemma (or exacerbate it!).

Paper Travelcards are only available for 1 day (peak or off-peak), 7
days or longer (not 3 or 4 days). You can load a 7-day or longer
Travelcard on to an Oyster card, but not a 1-day Travelcard. The
benefits of a 1-day Travelcard are achieved by capping the PAYG charges
for travel on a single day.

--
Richard J.

No Name August 30th 10 12:08 AM

Oyster question, please

"Richard J." wrote in message
wrote on 29 August 2010 21:48:29 ...
...in the same way you're not allowed to share an Oyster with a period
Travelcard on it....

Another question I can't answer to my satisfaction on tfl's site: Is a
Travelcard loaded onto an Oyster the same thing as a traditional paper
travelcard? eg: it can be programmed to be effective 1, 3, 4 or 7 days?
If so, maybe that would solve my dilemma (or exacerbate it!).

Paper Travelcards are only available for 1 day (peak or off-peak), 7 days
or longer (not 3 or 4 days). You can load a 7-day or longer Travelcard on
to an Oyster card, but not a 1-day Travelcard. The benefits of a 1-day
Travelcard are achieved by capping the PAYG charges for travel on a single
day.

--
Richard J.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. London Visitor's Travelcard is
what I meant to say. Which had the intermediate day options attached to it,
altho I see it has now been condensed into two choices only - 3 or 7 days.
http://booking.britrail.com/index.ac...or_Travel_Card
Perhaps I am getting in front of myself & should wait a bit & see what
options are available as I get closer to the visiting date. Again, I
appreciate all the advice.

Robin[_3_] August 30th 10 07:55 AM

Oyster question, please

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. London Visitor's Travelcard
is what I meant to say. Which had the intermediate day options
attached to it, although I see it has now been condensed into two
choices only - 3 or 7 days.
http://booking.britrail.com/index.ac...or_Travel_Card

I think you may have been looking at out of date information. The 3 day
cards are no longer sold. The announcement of this last year said it
was because of low sales and the way PAYG Oyster plus price cap gave
much the same result. The TfL site offers only the 1 and 7 day Visitor
Travelcards (as well as the Oyster of course): see
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/english/introduction.htm

Walter Briscoe August 30th 10 08:11 AM

Oyster question, please

In message Y9Aeo.54027$S_1.44579@hurricane of Sun, 29 Aug 2010
22:19:52 in uk.transport.london, Richard J.
writes
wrote on 29 August 2010 21:48:29 ...
...in the same way you're not allowed to share an Oyster with a period
Travelcard on it....

Another question I can't answer to my satisfaction on tfl's site: Is a
Travelcard loaded onto an Oyster the same thing as a traditional paper
travelcard? eg: it can be programmed to be effective 1, 3, 4 or 7 days?
If so, maybe that would solve my dilemma (or exacerbate it!).

Paper Travelcards are only available for 1 day (peak or off-peak), 7
days or longer (not 3 or 4 days). You can load a 7-day or longer
Travelcard on to an Oyster card, but not a 1-day Travelcard. The
benefits of a 1-day Travelcard are achieved by capping the PAYG charges
for travel on a single day.

Another advantage of Travelcards is that maximum journey times do not
apply. cf. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14872.aspx.

That page says "If you spend longer, you will be charged up to £7.00."
I have been charged £12.00 for such journeys. e.g. touch in peak time in
zone 3 and touch out in peak time in zone 1 more than 90 minutes later.
The 2 touches are charged as 2 journeys: 1 unfinished and 1 unstarted.
Ticket office staff are usually good enough to refund the quiet extra
charges - if you notice them being made.

That page does not describe combining a Travelcard and a PAYG fare.
e.g. If you have a Zone 1-2 Travelcard loaded on an Oyster card and
travel from Zone 1-4 in more than the maximum journey time. In that case
the maximum journey time ignores the Travelcard. Without a Travelcard,
each end of the journey is charged a maximum fare. I once made such a
journey and was charged a maximum fare for my exit.

The advantage of PAYG seems to be that you are charged a fairly
reasonable fare for journeys at the risk of touching problems on
Underground, DLR and National Rail.
--
Walter Briscoe

No Name August 30th 10 01:23 PM

Oyster question, please

"Robin" wrote in message
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. London Visitor's Travelcard
is what I meant to say. Which had the intermediate day options
attached to it, although I see it has now been condensed into two
choices only - 3 or 7 days.
http://booking.britrail.com/index.ac...or_Travel_Card

I think you may have been looking at out of date information. The 3 day
cards are no longer sold. The announcement of this last year said it was
because of low sales and the way PAYG Oyster plus price cap gave much the
same result. The TfL site offers only the 1 and 7 day Visitor Travelcards
(as well as the Oyster of course): see
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/english/introduction.htm

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Appreciated. Thanks, Robin.